PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Painting Albino Skin

Schnitzel
08-19-2009, 01:52 AM
I've been toying around with the idea of starting an Afriel Strain guard army since Astro Mag vol. 4 came out a while back. I've gone and purchased the bits to build one Veteran Squad + Harker, and have assembled two models already. The first one I tried experimenting different painting styles on in an attempt to get a proper albino look, however it turned out pretty lack-luster.

I'll be quick to admit, I'm not that great of a painter. And I shy away from mixing, ie; 1:1:2 of such and such and whatnot paint. I stick to basic colors watered down slightly and basic techiques such as dry brushing.

Any input would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Hephesto
08-20-2009, 05:20 AM
Woohoo, looks like the Astromag is making a little impact out there! I'm rather looking forward to seeing what you have planned for them, my squad was just a one of fun project. As for the skin colours, I used the following for thoses Afriels:
- basecoat of elf flesh over a brown undercooat
- followed by over half a dozen of successive, very thing white lights with each successive layer having just a little bit more skull white mixed in there
- to create depth you can add some very thin glazes and washes using brown, black and even purple inkt

Hope that helped a bit!

Mananarepublic
08-20-2009, 11:32 AM
For a basecoat use a pink and highlight it 1st with the lightest skintoe you have then with white. Make sure to cover as big areas as you can with the first highlights, Pure pink should only be in the absolute deepest creveces.

I agree with Hephesto - to make the skin look white almost transparent you need to add some color to the skin. I would begin with heavily thinned down green on the temples. And go from there. Be sure not to use too much paint in the brush when you do this, as heavily thinned down paint will easily blotch if you leave a whole drop to dry....

/M

Schnitzel
08-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Guess its time to bust our my painting dummy!

I was thinking that a grey-ish brown basecoat probably would have been best at first. Denab Greystone or something like that its called I believe... one of the GW foundation paints.
The glaze idea seems pretty good. Didn't think adding color to an "albino" look could help flesh it out like that.

Hopefully come the end of the week I'll hae my squad built up and the paint scheme ironed out. Pics will be posted in my WIP thread.

Mananarepublic
08-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Guess its time to bust our my painting dummy!

I was thinking that a grey-ish brown basecoat probably would have been best at first. Denab Greystone or something like that its called I believe... one of the GW foundation paints.
The glaze idea seems pretty good. Didn't think adding color to an "albino" look could help flesh it out like that.

Hopefully come the end of the week I'll hae my squad built up and the paint scheme ironed out. Pics will be posted in my WIP thread.

The problem you will have with a desaturated basecoat is that the natural shine from very pale skin will disappear...but that is just my $0.02 :-)

/M