PDA

View Full Version : Daemons of Chaos or Dark Elves

blaze7386
09-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Im looking to get into fantasy after playing 40k for a while. The groups consists of 2 high elf players,2 skaven,1 empire,1 daemons,1 warriors of chaos, 1 lizard men. I'm Looking to play a strong and competitive army that will have a good chance against them. I like playing fast armies/ finesse plus it would be great if i didn't have to drop a crap load of money to get going.

mynameisgrax
09-07-2010, 01:56 PM
If you're not looking to drop a ton of money, then both armies can still work, as long as you stay away from Hydras in Dark Elves, Nurgle units in Daemons, and pewter models in general.

The only finesse/fast Chaos Daemons army that really works right now is Slaanesh, and I just think the Dark Elves are going to be competitive than that. The competitive Chaos Daemons builds right now either focus on spamming Tzeentch units (tons of pink horrors), or buffing Bloodletters with either the lore of life or beasts (cast by Tzeentch heralds buried in units of pink horrors). Either way, you'd need a good number of pink horrors.

Dark Elves are probably closer to what you're looking for.

blaze7386
09-07-2010, 02:14 PM
well for daemons i would probably go Slaanesh/Khorne

Oyerbides
09-10-2010, 08:23 AM
I have had a Deamon army for quite awhile, yes all Tzeentch. Unlike others I don't see it as "spam" in any way. What is the difference between a massed horde of say skaven and one of Tzeentch. They are meant to cast spells ... that is what they do. I originally bought all of my guys in metal, old horrors and even older pink and blue horrors. But the new models are great and I bought 3 boxes of them as well.

Okay enough "soap box." Depending on the points you want to build at for a start, the best place to look is at what is available in plastic. Darke Elves had an army box at one point and a battalion box. A couple or three battalion boxes and a few metal models should gets you in the door for under $300 with a good basic force of between 2000 and 2500 points. Dark Elves can be very fast and very flexible as well.

Slaanesh has core and Seekers in plastic so you would only need the fiends/beasts in metal. Even a Demon Prince is in plastic now. Heralds are simple conversion figures, so only the Masque and if you wanted a Greater Demon would have to be bought in metal. Of course, there are some cool older figs available in metal as well.

The issue with playing a single a single pantheon of demons is frankly it becomes boring. My Tzeentch guys only really play one way and as it has been alluded to they can piss people off. Warhammer is about combat but Tzeentch is about avoiding it as long as possible and casting spells instead.

So, I would definitely go with Dark Elves or find a combination of Demons that was more fun to play than just Slaanesh. Just a a side note, Nurgle armies are solid, but sadly only in metal for now.

Anyway, hope this helps.

blaze7386
09-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Oh and BTW the point scale that im looking at is 3,000pts. So far DE are looking to be the favorite but i would like to see more input before i drop the cash.