PDA

View Full Version : FoW newbie just got open fire... now what?

raloris
09-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Hey all, i bought the open fire set thinking it would be a good starting point, it has the little minirule book but from what i've been reading on the forums this might not be a full rule book?

Anyway - my proper question!

Where now?

I play with my old man and he's really into World War 2 history and documentaries. I'd like to try and start playing games that are fun based around I guess late war? The teams would have to be Britain for my old man, guess i'd play the 'bad guys' in the germans. He's into a bridge to far and all the the 'underdog' I guess war films.

So my question is what models should I start picking up and what supplementary books?

Aldramelech
09-07-2010, 02:15 PM
The mini rule book is just fine to begin with. Everything you need to play the basic game is in there, the big book has more complex rules like Fortifications and stuff and you don't need to worry too much about that right now.

When you want to progress don't go out and pay full whack for the big book either, they turn up on Ebay quite alot now and your save yourself lots.

Next you need an army book. Late war Germans and British? Hells Highway would be good.

To play a proper game you need at least 1 Company per side. I would get a German Infantry Company and a British Rifle Company. Both can be had in box sets with everything you need. Again buy online, you'll save lots.

Head on over to the Battle Front Website, its not bad and will be able to answer most questions.

Good luck.

raloris
09-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Perfect! I knew I needed some infantry but had no idea where to start, normally a warhammer player and is pretty intimidating starting a new board game :)

Thanks so much!

Any suggestion on what german platoon to get?

Aldramelech
09-08-2010, 02:32 AM
The Germans have the best Infantry in the game, its all good. I don't play late war FOW, I do early so I'm not familiar with the late lists but you've got plenty of choice I would think. SS and Fallschirmjäger are fantastic but hard to paint. Leg Infantry are good and uncomplicated. Panzergrenadiers are going to involve some halftracks as well as Infantry, so a bit more expensive. Pioneers are a bit more specialized.

Aenir
09-08-2010, 06:03 AM
as a British Armored Player, I have to say, I am scared to death of the Falschirmjager, Fearless Vet with Panzerfausts everywhere? Ahhh!

looking at the book, you have the option (as germans) of playing:

Fallschirmjager Company (FV & FT)
and thats it if you wanna play it flat out of the book for a base force, however you have TONS of options to support you, which allows you to shape your force anyway you wish to :)