PDA

View Full Version : Custom Decal help

Missinglink
08-19-2009, 08:55 AM
I've read the tutorial on the BoLS site and have one question. How many coats of clear Acrylic spray are needed to seal the ink and paper? The author says several; but is that several 3 or several 5 or more?

If anyone has a a recommendation I would be very appreciative.

Thanks

Derek

herosson
08-19-2009, 09:36 AM
I think as long as you completely cover the decal you'll be fine.

I typically do maybe three on the transparent decals, and as few as possible with the non-transparent (i.e. white), because the non-transparent papers I’ve used tend to be thicker. The fewer coats you do the more liberal you should be with your setting agent and if you give a bit of border that you can paint over it also helps to keep the setting agent from getting to the ink.

Ferro
08-19-2009, 09:45 AM
That's good advice. I use 3-4 light coats on my transparant decals.

One other thing to keep in mind is that your custom decals are not as durable as the GW ones. If you work it too much while you're getting it in place, it may smear the ink or even tear, so you've got to step up your decal-fu and get it right quickly. You can do it.

Robotfloyd
08-19-2009, 11:01 AM
I'll agree with Ferro. I've done large custom decals for RC Cars, and you definitely need to step up your game if you're going for a larger size. If you are new to the whole custom decal thing and ARE going to do a large one, make sure you buy plenty of extra decal paper for re-do's. Don't however be put off by this, you will just need to visualize what you need to do first, then do it quickly!

One other note: Let it dry for 24 hours first. More if you have the time. I usually do 3 light sprays an hour or so apart and then wait 24 hours. There will be WAY less chance of running.

Le Scriv
08-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I've found all of the above to be true. ~3-4 light coats of spray. Don't do it too thick or it will pool.

Try to get hold of Micro Sol & Micro Set. I've found them to be invaluable when creating custom decals. The GW ones tend to shape and slide easily but custom ones need the extra lubrication and softness to help them wrap around shoulder pads and the like.

Súil Dubh
08-19-2009, 06:01 PM
What's the thinnest brand of transparent decal paper?

I tried using a garage-kit brand put out by a Japanese company, but the sheets are so thick that the decals are visibly raised higher than the surface of the miniature, and it ruins the effect.

This brand is the only brand that my local hobby supply store stocks, so I'd like to order something better online if possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Robotfloyd
08-19-2009, 07:18 PM
the sheets are so thick that the decals are visibly raised higher than the surface of the miniature, and it ruins the effect.

Micro Sol and Micro Set are your friends :)

Missinglink
08-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks so much for your advice. patence and practice. 3-4 light coats and wait 24 hours to dry. Don't rush it.

Micro Sol, is that what you use to disolve the decal from the paper or is it still water to do that? Then the Micro Sol and Set solutions?

Just checking

Thanks so much again

P.S. The only decal paper I could find locally was a Testors brand paper and spray. I will post my thoughts on how it performs as well as pictures of the finished Decalling

Derek

Ferro
08-20-2009, 10:49 AM
What's the thinnest brand of transparent decal paper? .... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I use the Papilio paper recommended on the BoLS tutorial. Anything you can't find locally you can order on the internet: http://www.papilio.com/inkjet%20waterslide%20decal%20transfer%20paper%20m edia.html

I don't use water at all anymore. Micro Set takes the place of water; Micro Sol is a softener to make the decal conform to curves/wrinkles. Careful with it... you're taking an already delicate custom decal and making it SOFTER. Just read the directions.

If you'll endulge an example photo:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/aguave5150/DSC02304.jpg
Custom text on the tabbard, and the Company number on the kneecap.

Súil Dubh
08-20-2009, 05:05 PM
I use the Papilio paper recommended on the BoLS tutorial. Anything you can't find locally you can order on the internet: http://www.papilio.com/inkjet%20waterslide%20decal%20transfer%20paper%20m edia.html

Great - thank you very much.

Very nice work on the tabard.

Missinglink
08-20-2009, 06:53 PM
That is outstanding Ferro!! Very nicely done. I am beginning to see the potential of custom decals.

Thanks so much for all your help guys.

Derek