PDA

View Full Version : Zoats

KINGS
07-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Possibly even stranger than Squats, are the Zoats. Who remembers Zoats?

Anyone planning to make a Hive Fleet Colossus Nid army? I kinda want to...

iamaddj
07-28-2009, 04:15 PM
What? WHY?

Dosadi
07-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Zoats are the super secret new 40k race. But don't tell anyone else.;)

Seriously though I still have a 40k and a fantsy (even more rare) Zoat in a bitz box. Perhaps they will make a return in the 5th edition Tyranid codex...but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dosadi

Darkseer
07-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Zoats are one of those things which should be forgotten...along with electro priests, squigs in tyranid armies and jokaero.

RealGenius
07-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Zoats are one of those things which should be forgotten... and jokaero.

C'mon... space monkeys!

Space.

Monkeys.

You know you want it.

Jwolf
07-29-2009, 12:05 PM
I don't need space monkeys; I have Zane.

crazyredpraetorian
07-29-2009, 12:07 PM
...and he even has the space suit.

jdubb
07-31-2009, 12:09 PM
They are listed anecdotally in the current tyranid codex. Look for the story about the ZOrastro ATtilla invasion by a race of 6-legged, sentient beings. If i remember the story correctly, they were wiped out by imperial forces...

Concentrate More
07-31-2009, 12:10 PM
It would be interesting to see the fluff of resurrected Zoats.

ZOMBIE ZOATS!!!!!!!!!

Gotthammer
07-31-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm eating some Zoatabix right now ;)

I think they were actually quite a reasonable concept and not bad models really - the Nids just evolved so far away from that look it's hard to see it. The Zoat in Ian Watson's Space Marine was good - a Tyranid Ambassador.

Big Jim
07-31-2009, 01:04 PM
I've still got about 8 Zoats floating around here.

Chuckles
07-31-2009, 01:46 PM
I think Darkseer said all that needs to be said. Zoats looked goofy, and they went extinct. They should stay that way.

Oldgrue
07-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Zoats rocked the three toed socks off Tau, and were far less ridiculous than the biker midgets..um..Squats.

Greatereldanesh
07-31-2009, 07:54 PM
I've got a Zoat army I built. I use it as an additional force to my Nids. I used a mixture of the Nid codex and rules from GW website. They fared very well against the Ultra Marines. I think they were AWESOME back in the day and still do!

wokkers
07-31-2009, 10:54 PM
i am a big fan of the zoats (and anything else thats old - like space marines on jetbikes for example). they are just another part of the rich history of the game.

...and its space monkeys for the win :)

BuFFo
08-01-2009, 12:22 AM
I have 6 Zoats. Never got around to doing anything with them. Maybe one day I will.

Little Brother
08-01-2009, 03:38 AM
i am a big fan of the zoats (and anything else thats old - like space marines on jetbikes for example). they are just another part of the rich history of the game.

...and its space monkeys for the win :)

Retro is the way forward if you want to add a bit of spice to an army. I have always been a fan of the Zoats and have toyed with the idea converting a few myself. Space marine jetbikes are another matter, I didn't just toy with the idea of building them, I made twenty of them.

Space monkeys should make a return, but I am glad the nids ate all the squats. I loved the original models, but the bikes looked daft and the whole Hearthguard thing they introduced later was even worse.

Inquisitor McSagington
08-01-2009, 03:52 AM
Zoats were pretty cool but I think they've gone the way of Fimir and the Squats. Besides they were the Hive Minds 'diplomats'-why bother talking when they can OMNOMOM?

Magos
08-01-2009, 08:38 AM
You know, Wikipedia doesnt even have a picture of the Zoats....its rather impressive.

Spellscape
08-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Here is Zoats
http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2105genestealerzoats.htm

Maybe someone wants to trade for NIB GW models - I need Powerfist Zoat and Fleshborer
;) PM me please:o

Asymmetrical Xeno
08-01-2009, 12:21 PM
I think they had potential -

stone spaceships..pretty weird and cool! odd psychic powers, a centaur race..id like to see them retconned and brought back as a FW army. I'd happily Enslave fellow rogue trader armies.

Asymmetrical Xeno
08-01-2009, 12:22 PM
I've got a Zoat army I built. I use it as an additional force to my Nids. I used a mixture of the Nid codex and rules from GW website. They fared very well against the Ultra Marines. I think they were AWESOME back in the day and still do!

Was that the army that featured in that Firebase magazine, or another one ? if its another one id love to see pics of it :D

Magos
08-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Wait...you mean someone has some statlines for Zoats, if so, thats awsome.

Greatereldanesh
08-01-2009, 11:00 PM
I got the idea from Firebase. They're not painted yet but will post pics soon. GW used to have stat lines on their website. I don't know if they still have them since the upgrade.

TheKingElessar
08-01-2009, 11:13 PM
I own some old Zoat models. They aren't painted - but they're fairly cool. They betrayed the Eldar big style though.

chromedog
08-02-2009, 05:43 AM
I stil have a squad of 5 that I used in my old eldar pirate army in the RT days (go eldritch raiders).
Kinda miss the zoat with vortex grenade, myself (throw grenade up to 2xS and they were one of the strongest models on the table).
They were painted (green lizardscales and bone coloured other bits (enhancements/weapons).
although that catalog page is different to the page I bought them off.

Mine were 'commander with powerfist and flamer', multimelta (missile launcher in the link page), two bolters (x3).

MaidenManiac
08-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Zoats were cool back in the days. IIRC they were somehow enslaved by the hivemind and used for embassadors and slavers if my memory servs me a while, but then the use of that grew defunct and they were made into biomass:rolleyes:

Oldgrue
08-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Shameless bumpage. Zoats should never be forgotten. Maybe sub them in for necron Destroyers....

johnny_trash
08-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Someone should make a Codex: Lost and the Forgotten :D Squats, Zoats, Jokaero, Hrud, eldar with bolters, and space marines on jetbikes. Seriously though, Zoats were a cool concept, back before the Tyranids became thoughtless eating machines. It would be nice to see some homage to them in the next Nid codex. A 6 legged xenomorph of some sort, that is autonomous.

krispy
08-13-2009, 12:16 AM
if i remember correctly zoats featured/ were named in old warhammer 40000 novel "space marine", but it was ages since i read that and from what i heard that book has been pushed to the wayside cos if conflicting with the current "history" heh.

johnny_trash
08-13-2009, 05:03 PM
if i remember correctly zoats featured/ were named in old warhammer 40000 novel "space marine", but it was ages since i read that and from what i heard that book has been pushed to the wayside cos if conflicting with the current "history" heh.

they were indeed. A lot of the older material is no longer considered canon by GW, which sucks. I miss the days when Rouboute was just a lowly IG General, and the Crimson Fists were first founding. Damn kids get off my lawn... *waves old stick*