PDA

View Full Version : Bastion Modification

Klingsor
08-19-2009, 01:38 PM
I have my first bastion sitting partly built on my table and I want to 'improve' it. My idea is to fit a turret on top of it. This would probably mean leaving off the parapet unless I build a barbette for it to raise it up. I have several turrets to choose from.

The most obvious choice is one from a Leman Russ though is not my favourite choice. Instead I favour that of a KV-2, either in 1/48th or 1/35 scale from Hobbyboss and Trumpeter respectively (not the only suitable kits but good and cheap). I did try that of a Pz IV as well but found it not to my liking, unlike that of a Wirbelwind but the turret of any Geman AFV is far too recognisable. There are a couple of M4 turrets going spare but they too are very recognisable.

Of course my best course of action is to modify the turret to use a turret ring of the standard GW size so I can swap it in and out easily, and use the ring already moulded into the bastion roof. This argues for the use of a smaller, 1/48th scale turret.

The 'big turret' KV-2 turret is one of my favourites. I am tempted to put one on a Leman Russ hull for a Demolisher but it would be far too tall. Instead it might be better on that of a Chimera or even a Rhino for an SPG, perhaps a Vindicator variant in the latter case.

Aldramelech
08-19-2009, 02:21 PM
how about an M60 turret with Blazer Armour? You could swap out the 50cal for a GW stubber and alter the gun barrel slightly, that would look pretty unique.

Aldramelech
08-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Thinking about it, if you want the Demolisher look how about a WW2 Centaur? Nice big squat gun, lower turret profile then the KV1 and not that recognizable. Tamiya do a good kit. Along similar lines how about a Churchill AVRE?

Klingsor
08-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Some great suggestions there. I have some 1/48th scale M60s from Kitech/ZhengDefu but like all of their AFV kits I think they look a bit too modern for the Guard. They incidentally are earmarked for either modern wargaming or SF wargaming with some conversion. You were spot on about the ERA, I really like the look it gives an AFV.

Being a skinflint I use M2HBs for stubbers!

The Centaur is a nice AFV, I think I might already have the 1/48th Tamiya one in the cache, a very good suggestion.

I asked our group when they came round on Friday night to play Dark Heresy and most favoured the 1/48th KV-2 turret with one dissenting vote for a Leman Russ turret.