PDA

View Full Version : Long time Eldar player in a rutt

Majorcrash
09-15-2010, 07:10 AM
I guess that makes me on the road to being an Exarch. But I have been playing Eldar now for 6 months, having started them back in 2nd Ed. Normally my two fav armies are IG or Eldar, Put my IG away to play something different and now I find I'm in a rutt with my Eldar. Over the last few months i managed to put together a list with a 90% win rate (dam nids give me hell) And i want ideas for a change and maybe a radically different list. In our area 40k is being played at 2k level. My list is as follows:

HQ
Farseer- witchblade and runes of witnessing
Seer council- 3 warlocks (one has enhance) Waveserpent TL scat las
Autarch- pwr sword, banshee mask, fusion gun
Elites
6 Fire dragons - Exarch w/t firepike, crackshot, 5 warriors with fusion gun, waveserpent TL britelanc
Harliquins- shadowseer, 7 troopers all with kisses and shurk pistols
Banshees- Exarch w/t mirror swords, acrobatic,warshout 5 warriors (riding in falcon)
Troopers
Dire Avengers- exarch w/ diresword and shimmershield, bladestorm 9 troopers, waveserpent TL starcan
Guardians- 10 with britelance
Guardians- 10 w/t starcannon
Guardians- 10 w/t starcannon
Fast attack
Warp spiders- exarch w/ spinnette rifle, powerblds, withdraw, surprise asslt. 8 spiders
viper- shurican cannon, star can
Hvy sup
3 war walkers- britelance & scat las, starcann & scat las x2
falcon- starcan

Any ideas?

eldargal
09-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Have you tried a theme list? Plenty of ways to spice things. Jetbike army, Aspect only army etc.

Majorcrash
09-16-2010, 06:34 AM
i would love to do a jet bike, but at the price they are each . not possible at this time. As far a doing a theme I find I have a harder time doing a oure theme army as i do with other armies. I used to run a craftworld altioc army and it was nearly the same just had more scouts. All aspect warriors seem boring. I first started doing Eldar because i heard so many lament that eldar were not competitive unless you run aspect warrior list. So i started running one heavy on guardians to see if it wa true. My guadians do great at what they are supposes to do. Lay down supporting fire and take objectives.

karandras
09-17-2010, 09:07 AM
When you say that you're in a rut, do mean that you want the list more competitive, or that you are bored with it??? Or both???

As far as reworking the list on the cheap, a few Eldar Heavy Weapons sprues from direct service could do the trick! You are playing a 3rd edition eldar list and need a major weapons overhaul IMHO.

I would drop every Starcannon out of this army!

1) Change your Warwalker build out to Scatter Laser/Shuriken Cannon or Dual-Scatter Laser.
2) Swap the Starcannon on the Falcon to a Scatter Laser & add Shuriken Cannon upgrade and Holofield.
3) Swap the Twin-linked Starcannon on the DA Wave Serpant to Twin-Brightlance.
4) Change all three Guardian Defender Squads Support Weapons to Scatter Lasers or Shuriken Cannons.
5) Put Shuriken Cannon upgrades on all of the Wave Serpants.
6) Swap the Starcannon on the Vyper to a Shuriken Cannon.
7) Consider upgrading the Farseer to Eldrad if possible.

It sucks to remove heavy weapons from painted models, but it is far easier than painting entire new models. You could probably make the listed changes and about break even on points due to the cost of Starcannons in the current codex. I would also strongly consider adding Warlocks to all of the Guardian Squads, but that is a lot of points. The listed changes will greatly increase the offensive output of this force and bring it in line with the current codex as far as optimizing points cost.

I would consider putting a basic 5 man squad of Dire Avengers in the Falcon and running the Banshees screened by the Harlies. If you have to drop a unit to make the changes, I would make the Vyper the first thing to go as it has virtually no survivability. Next, I would consider losing one of the three Warwalkers as two is still effective (14 or 16 Str.6 shots outflanking!). Good Luck! Eldar are the bestest!

lowdog
09-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Maybe swap out your seer council and/or Autarch for an Avatar and swap out the guardians for storm guardians? Run a very assault oriented list?

scadugenga
09-18-2010, 08:35 AM
I would think about trying to either add more seer council (3 warlocks just isn't enough to bodyguard the 'Seer or act as an efficient combat unit) or ditch the warlocks and attach the 'Seer to another squad.

Your aspect warrior loadout is really up to you. You can't have the diresword & shimmershield though--not an option for your DA. It's twin cats, DS/SP, or Shield/Pweapon.

Personally I dislike anything that removes the ability to utilize an exarch's BS5, but ymmv.

Starcannon just aren't what they were back in 3rd ed. but I won't tell you to not use them, as eventually you'll get your meq out of their canned transports and then they become useful again.

With your Autarch already having a 6 Init, you may not need the banshee mask. Mandiblasters may be more useful for an extra attack, as Str 3 power weapons are going to leave you frustrated a lot of the time. :)

G'luck and let us know how things work out!