PDA

View Full Version : vetern trying space marines for first time - feedback please

danman
09-16-2010, 01:18 AM
Hi there vetern witchunter player trying space marines crimson fist style. This is for 1500 pts and its in Europe so a little more cover than the yanks will get.

Pedro Kantor 175

5 sternguard + 5 combi-meltas +drop pod 185
8 sternguard + 4 combi-meltas + Rhino

Ironclad dread +meltagun + ccw + seismic hammer+ heavy flamer + 2 HK missiles + drop pod 200

5 scouts + powerfist + combi melta 110
5 scouts + power weapon + combi flamer 100

landspeeder storm with heavy flamer 60
landspeeder storm with heavy flamer 60

2 landspeeders with multi-melta and heavy flamer 140

2 vindicators with dozer blades 240

Hard alpha strike a flank with scouts in LS storms and dreadnought should take out 2 tanks and infantry unit -second wave with vindicators and landspeeders. sternguard in rhino clear objectives and sternguard in drop pod assinate a tank or drop on objective (they are scoring with pedro). Pedro will go where he's told on the day.

Thoughts gentlemen and ladies

Tynskel
09-16-2010, 06:59 AM
nice to see something refreshing. I think you have a good combo with the 5 man team of sternguard in the pod--- people usually waste Pedro and a 300 point unit in a pod.

Here's a suggestion:

Drop the 2 HK missiles--- take Assault Launchers (don't underestimate Str10 at I4!! And the defensive grenades has save my ironclad's butt many times).

You should have +5 points.... Then drop a vindicator, you should have 125, and you can pick up a Predator Destructor with Lascannon Sponsons. Gives you a little bit of long range firepower while the Rhino and Vindicator move up.

therealjohnny5
09-17-2010, 10:08 PM
I have to admit 2 vidi's are better than 1 bc of the pressure, however for the points a Pred is more reliable, but less fun! The challenge with the vidi is they're easy to weapon destroy and then all you have is a storm bolter tank shocker. sucks. If you take them though i add the siege shield as with lots of cover and it's short range bulldozing straight through to get to the enemy is good. Also they can be parked and lob from behind cover, but it'll scatter more.

Agreed with Tynskel about the assault launchers, you want the ironclad in CC not shooting. as for scouts, they won't last long and in general with marines, if you're ever taking a power weapon, just take a PF instead. the plain PW is rarely worth the pts. especially in a squad of scouts, that 4+ save won't protect them long.

Landspeeders are super fragile, i'd replace them for MM attack bikes, T5 marines? yes pls. and you can get 3 for 10 pts more. so a total of 3 MM shots and 3 TL bolter shots or 6 in RF range. or for fluff take a squad of GL scout bikes with CCW's. Scout turbo boost then move in shoot assault.

overall my biggest concern though is troop selection. At 1500 points the Sternguard are great but those scout will go fast. and even the Stern are low number. if you want to stay scout fluff then go full 10 man, CC weapons, and infiltrate, scout move and assault first turn. works great for my RG successor chapter. The other scout option is a group of Snipers with Camo Cloaks burried in cover for a 3+ cover save or paired with a techmarine reinforcing the ruin and giving them a 2+ cover, pain to get off an objective. just some food for thought. i like the idea, i love alpha strike, but the troops rule in 5th, and Sternguard draw fire, scouts are fragile, so it makes me a little worried for their resilience.

danman
09-18-2010, 02:21 AM
can you indirect fire with a vindi? also can you move and shoot as I thought I read somewhere that ordanance can't do that but can't find it now.

This is quality feedback and certainly food for thought. Thank you, more greatfully received.

therealjohnny5
09-18-2010, 02:39 AM
can you indirect fire with a vindi? also can you move and shoot as I thought I read somewhere that ordanance can't do that but can't find it now.

This is quality feedback and certainly food for thought. Thank you, more greatfully received.

yeah you can totally fire indirect with Vindicators, it's good for when you're in range but out of LOS. And yeah you can move and shoot bc it's Ordinance Barrage. you just can't fire anything else. like you're awesome stormbolter, lol.

Porty1119
09-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Some of these recommendations would leave the army with a single Vindicator.
1 Vindicator=target practice
2 Vindicators=pretty good
3 Vindicators=WATCH OUT!!!! :O

danman
09-20-2010, 02:41 AM
Ok so taking in the feedback I've update the list and here's what I got

Kanto 175

5 sternguard, 5 combi meltas, drop pod 185
6 sternguard, 3 combi weapons (prob meltas maybe flamers) drop pod 200
Ironclad Dreadnought 2 HK missiles, heavy flamer and assault launchers 215

5 scouts, combi-flamer/melta, power weapon 100
5 scouts, combi-flamer/melta, power weapon 100

Land speeder storm
Land speeder storm

2 vindicators with dozer blades
Predator with TW lascannon and Lascannon sponsons

Scoring units are a bit small but you have to destroy all my infantry bar kantor to stop me scoring.

4 nasty AV13 should pose a problem for most people. even a guard list or a Missile launcher and razorback heavy space wolf list or mech guard.

I'm hoping that this forces opponents to be aggressive and we either slug it out and annihilate each other. They run away at their peril as I can both chase them and pick them off at same time. Fast units might be a problem but not if I get first turn. I should be able to handle adjust for drop pods. Its also not high too high on Kill points and has a lot of redundancy in the list.

Better?