PDA

View Full Version : Do people cringe at Dark Elves?

Morg
09-20-2010, 05:02 AM
Being new to fantasy i chose to play Dark Elves for the army feel and aesthetic, plus Dark Eldar was my first 40k army; but all i have gotten is scorn and derision from other fantasy players just for being a new player using the Elves. When you see someone putting out some corsairs, sorceresses and chariots do you instinctively cringe? Yes they have a strong book, but is that the only reason people cry foul when i say i am a dark elf player, or is there something a bit more substantial to it than that?

In 40k people whinge about Imperial Guard, Wolves, BAngles, Nids etc but these concerns trivial compared with the hatred Dark Elves receive. Evidently i am missing something, so could someone fill me in?

Apologies for posting a list in the general section, still new here. In reference to that list, after playing 1 game with 2 hydras i took the second out upon seeing jsut how dirty it was...

mynameisgrax
09-20-2010, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you don't use more than one Hydra. I think dark elves get a little flak because they were considered overly powerful in 7th edition, and they're still very strong in 8th, so people might consider you to be a power gamer for playing them.

All in all, they're a balanced and effective army, while still being fair. It's just the hydras that many people hate, considering that they're incredibly powerful for their cost.

slxiii
09-20-2010, 09:05 PM
In 40k people whinge about Imperial Guard, Wolves, BAngles, Nids etc but these concerns trivial compared with the hatred Dark Elves receive.

Well all Dark elves have hatred.... so maybe they naturally receive it?

KriegXXIX
10-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Everyone should hate piratical raiders. I second the hydra bit. Taking more than one can easily be taken as indications of "undesirable" personality traits. I had to face 4 during 'ard Boyz semis, and it wasn't fun. Didn't get massacred but my Empire army definitely had an uphill battle. If you need something to avoid having to do that try Altars of Khaine and witch elves. Provides a lot of bonuses for your army. A little more subtle, but will give your army more tactical options. Honestly though, Dark Elves are just a good army.