PDA

View Full Version : Bwahahah! Death Company!

Tynskel
09-20-2010, 10:07 AM
HQ 125
125 Librarian
Jump Pack, Shield of Sanguinius (cast at beginning of opponent's shooting phase, all units within 6" gain a 5+ cover save), Might of Heros (cast at the beginning of the assault phase, your own, and/or opponent's, the librarian or one model in the unit attached to gains d3 attacks).

ELITES 50
50 Sanguinary Priesthood
Priest

TROOPS 1375
855 Death Company!!!!
15 Marines, Jump Packs, 4 Power Weapons and Bolt Pistols, 3 Thunder Hammers and Bolters, 1 Power Weapons and Infernus Pistols, 3 with Bolt Pistols and Chainswords, 4 with Bolters and Chainswords, Chaplain Lemartes
120 Assault Squad
5 Marines, Power Weapon, Flamer
20 Dedicated Transport: Razorback
135 Assault Squad
5 Marines, Powerfist, Meltagun
55 Dedicated Transport: Razorback, with Twin Assault Cannon
135 Assault Squad
5 Marines, Powerfist, Meltagun
55 Dedicated Transport: Razorback, with Las Plas

FAST ATTACK 300
120 Land Speeder Squadron
2 Land Speeders, 2 Multi-Melta
90 Land Speeder
Typhoon Launchers
90 Land Speeder
Typhoon Launchers

Libby Hangs with DC to buff 'em out. Try to Hide Libby to prevent targeting him, unless the extra attacks would be useful.

Tynskel
09-20-2010, 02:52 PM
I changed it up a bit. adding in a bunch of land Speeders.

09-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Oh please don't let those DC get kited around. :(

You have some substantial shooting with the speeders, but otherwise you're relying on what appears to be a razorback or two to help keep the DC going for the units you need to go for.

The DC are often MVPs whenever I've fielded them, but they are susceptible to templates, etc. Having the Libby around is definitely worthwhile, as these guys will be focused a lot. Hopefully, that allows your other units to be rather ubiquitous in backing up the DC.

I think it could work, but I'll wait to hear from you how a game with them goes. :P

Fast3ddy
09-22-2010, 12:56 PM
I have tried using the death company in a variety of ways. I find it unfortunate that my opponents know how to deal with them and they have little impact.

Sure they can CC like champs but, they are usually just hung out there like a big bullseye. Your opponent knows they are a pricey unit and most veteran player can deal with them easily.

It's sad because it is such a cool concept, but for such a pricey unit, 3+ armor and feel no pain doesn't save them.

Compared them to say a terminator assault squad with a priest in terminator armor and you can see where I'm going with this. Of the two which is more reliable for the points.

Tynskel
09-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Well this list is more of a concept idea--- I, myself, have yet to see a squad of Death Company larger than 10. I do not have any jump pack death company-- I usually field them in rhino/razorbacks, or drop pod. But the Idea of 15 starts to sound good to me--- the squad is large enough to survive a pounding and still be combat effective. 5 Power Weapons + Lemartes is a threshold lvl: WS5, 20 attacks at Str 5, I5, re-rolling to hit n' wound. That's nasty-- not even including Lemartes' capability too. When I was thinking about it, though, thunder hammers seem like a good idea, because at 15, it will be hard to not get stuck up against so large Walker----- like the worst thing that could happen would be an Imperial Guard Sentinel, and I could barely scratch the thing--- how dumb would that be? Sure, that sentinel driver would be the Hero of the Regiment--- keeping 15 Death Company at bay...

As for kiting them around-- a large squad becomes a little more difficult to kite:
you can set them up more spread out, and they will be overall getting closer to you. It will only take a handful of them to put the hurt on.

Ah, Terminators... I do love thee.... but you do suffer from being slow...

Angelofblades
09-22-2010, 09:01 PM
If you're going to add any IC to the DC, then it should be a Chaplain or Reclusiarch, barring that, if you're taking Jump Pack DC, then why not just spend the points and get Lemartes (who is not an IC mind you)

This way you get the re-rolls to hit and re-rolls to wound.

Tynskel
09-23-2010, 06:49 AM
the list I have has lemartes in it, which is why I attach the Libby, instead of a Reclusiarch.

I have to admit---- Lemartes is so good, that even if you are taking foot slogger death co, I would still buy Lemartes, if possible. Obviously, if you are using a Rhino/Razorback/Land Raider, you cannot---- but with a Stormraven, you can!