PDA

View Full Version : Vulkan list

danman
09-20-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm a witch hunters player but playing around with some marine lists to start a new army hope no one minds I'm post a couple of different lists on here to see what I like in the end and what I can afford etc.

Anyway without further ado

1500pts

Vulkan 190

10 man tac squad with meltagun powersword and drop pod 225
10 man tac squad with meltagun powersword and drop pod 225

Dreadnought with multimelta, heavy flamer and drop pod 150

2 Landspeeders with Heavy flamer and multimelta 120
2 Landspeeders with Heavy flamer and multimelta 120

Predator with autocannon and heavy bolter sponsons 85
Predator with autocannon and heavy bolter sponsons 85

Pretty obvious here
- dreadnoughts drop with twin linked multimeltas and fry some armour or twin link heavy flamer some infantry. Predators inflict pain on what comes available. Landspeeders turbo boost flank(s)

turn two Landspeeders start start picking off targets with support from predators.

Tac squads take objectives with Vulkan or support attack.

Hordes covered with dakka preds, mechs covered with all the multimelta, MCs are covered with meltas + dakka preds. Bit short on CC but souldn't be getting into CC really. Assault termies too expensive have to give up too much for my liking

I wonder if it could be a bit boring to play?

Splug
09-20-2010, 11:59 AM
The big thing to be worried about with any drop pod-heavy force like that is your opponent giving you the first turn, then mass-reserving. There's almost no reason for them to deploy their army, since all they'll have to shoot at are the predators. You need a backup plan for this case.

Are those land speeder squads one speeder with a multi-melta, and one with a heavy flamer, or did you mean two speeders each with a multi-melta and heavy flamer? The latter should be 140 points per squad.

You may want to find a way to get extra armor on those dreadnoughts. Odds are at least one of them will still be walking around the turn after he lands, and you'll want him to be capable of charging. The rest of your army benefits greatly from your opponent having to continue firing at a stunned dreadnought, rather than just ignoring it for the turn and going to the next vehicle.

What are the heavy weapons in the pod teams? As tempting as multi-meltas are, these squads are intended to land on/near objectives... missile launchers for long range fire may end up being more appropriate.

danman
09-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Good points

Vulkan 175

Dreanought with droppod and heavy flamer + extra armour 165

10 squad melta gun, missile launcher, power sword and drop pod 225
10 squad melta gun, missile launcher, power sword and drop pod 225

2 landspeeders heavy flamer and multi-melta - 140
attack bike with multi melta 50

Predator with heavy bolter sponsons 85
Predator with heavy bolter sponsons & dozer blade 90

I've taken on board your points but a dreadnought with a multimelta covers a lotta ground when in the centre. So if they reserve I'm happy to take'em on piece meal

Hades Alpha
09-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Good list. Here's what I think:

1. Vulkan is 190 pts not 175.

2. I would take Ironclads instead of Dread w/ EA. Ironclad have EA and better armour. Dropping the attack bike will give you enough point for the Ironclads.

Just my two cents.

blackarmchair
09-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Well, nice list; it's a great start.

Few things:

1) Is Vulkan footslogging it alone? Cuz those Drop Pods are full... Consider taking another squad (vets?) or dropping a man so he can get in.

2) I second the Ironclad motion. The AV13 is a godsend plus ordinary dreadnoughts are one of the worst walkers in this game. They basically become useless if your opponent rolls anything but a 1 on the damage chart.

1 = ok
2 = useless for a turn will get shot again
3 = there goes your cc arm
4 = useless
5&6 = duh

3) Those Predators are a little out of place. They'll spend most of their time sitting in the backfield and you'll end up GIVING your oponent cover saves via your drop pods. You never want to leave anything unsupported in a SM army, it all costs so much.

My suggestiong to synthacize this all: drop the preds. Turn the Dreads to Ironclads (even if it means getting 2 not 3), give them extra armour and ironclad assault launchers. Buy AT LEAST one more squad for Vulkan to hang with (Another troop would be nice too).

Just my 2 cents.

Tynskel
09-20-2010, 08:33 PM
dude, Space Marine Drop Pods hold 12. Everyone else hold 10.

danman
09-21-2010, 07:05 AM
I take the point about the predators - I crowbarred them in there because I wanted something that could whittle wounds off of MCs and Daemon Princes. But I feel you're right they don't really fit with the army so I went back to the drawing board. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with something like this but here goes

HQ
Vlukan 190
Captain on bike with relic blade 165

Troops
10 man tac squad with flamer and multi-melta and drop pod 205
4 bikes + attack bike +2 flamers + power weapon 180
bike sqaud 8 + attack bike, 2 melta guns + MULTI MELTA attack bike + power weapon 300

Elites
Dreadnought, multimelta, CCW +heavy flamer+ extra armour + drop pod 165
Dreadnought, multimelta, CCW + storm bolter+extra armour + Drop pod 155

Fast Attack
1 unit of 2 landspeeders multi-melta + heavy Flamer

So Dreads on yar head fry something to weaken a flank, destroy a priority target, form a second front, or hold central ground with pods blocking line of sight or line of movement.

Large bike squad can combat squad into a rapid fire/charge unit and melta unit. Captain can join small squad or combat squad. Plenty of Dakka, plenty of melta, very mobile, quite tough, aggressive.

Constant pressure and target priority decisions are the issue for my opponent. I should be mobile enough to hurt anyone who reserves everything. In true space marine tradition I should be strong enough to cc the shooters and mobile enough to shoot the brawlers.

blackarmchair
09-21-2010, 09:58 AM
dude, Space Marine Drop Pods hold 12. Everyone else hold 10.

-_-

Sorry, you're right. Space Wolf player here.

Anyway, responding to the new list.

Bikes aren't bad. They ARE troops given the inclusion of your captain so they're a good choice if you like them.

Personally, I'd either go with the bikes or go with Vulkan. If you intend to take Vulkan you should take things that really compliment his rules. So the dreads with the MMs are good (Ironclads are better), the land speeders are good, the tac squads are good (since they have the MMs).

Bikes are decent (additional troop) but don't benefit from Vulkan. Were I you, I would try to get some thunder hammers and flame weapons in there to maximize Vulkan's abilities. TH/SS termies would replace the preds in terms of killing monstrous creatures and MEQs (they're phenomenal at those things). Given the list you have now, I'd recommend deep striking them (locator beacons on the pods optional).

Tynskel
09-21-2010, 12:01 PM
One of the nastiest things I have seen in space marine lists is:
Captain
Bike, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield (if you have the points, Hellfire Rounds, Digital Weapons, Artificer Armor)

Combined with Vulkan, he's got a re-rolling to hit thunder hammer.
3+ Invulnerable
I have seen them break off and smash things by themselves (which all captains can do), and because they are so fast, they are quite effective. Don't forget, they can go through terrain, and you really don't have to worry about 'dangerous terrain checks' because Independent Characters have 'Skilled Rider' and get to re-roll the check.

However, two expensive 'captains' in one list at 1500 points (that's 1/5 of your total points) is pushing your list to minimal numbers in everything. Be aware, you are relying on two guys to do a lot of work!

There is one aside, however---- bikes really benefit from Combat Tactics--- by using Vulkan, you lose combat tactics---- I have a friend that loves making them run (due to my shooting), then re-group, which prevents my charging in the assault phase--- giving him the ability to shoot and charge me, instead. Bikes are one of the few units that really benefit from Combat Tactics.