PDA

View Full Version : Defiler Load-out

Denzark
08-20-2009, 02:23 AM
Hey chaps

In my quest to get cheap defilers off the bay of e, I am surprised that none of them seems to have Hflamer - most seem to have Havoc launcher and Reaper.

My top load out would be Hflamer for the twin linked re-rolls and Reaper for transports, battlecannon does MEQ.

If I wanted a HtH defiler I would leave only a battle cannon on - no point in diluting the killiness.

Any comments?

Are defilers priority targets due to the AP3?

Cheers

Chaos
08-20-2009, 06:12 AM
well defilers have pretty weak armor so if your playing marines especially it is a target that i would shoot at, and the tactics i use are all the guns every turn after moving (I love that walker rule) but when a vehicle or good opposing unit roles into my assulting range i take it on and hope to demolish it (I use the normal autocannon/havoc launcher deal also, but thats mostly do to the fact that thats what came in my box and i had no spare bits...)

Chumbalaya
08-20-2009, 06:20 AM
BS is too low, so I just stick with burny goodness and stompy loving.

Mike X
08-20-2009, 10:40 AM
My ex played CSM and she would load out her Defiler with the reaper autocannon and havoc launcher.

Personally, I just think a havoc launcher is a better choice than the heavy flamer... and isn't it only like +5pts?

Chaos
08-20-2009, 03:30 PM
yeah thats a pretty good deal

MUMBLES
08-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Personally I've always run defilers with 2xCCW since you cant shoot anything else if you fire ordinance. Also decision-making is fairly easy with what to do with them as they get damaged. Weapon destroyed-Most people will take the battlecannon, so then you just fleet the rest of the game.

You often see them setup with the reaper autocannon and havok launcher because that was the better way to run them previously (and it looks cooler), but imo is not a very smart choice for them.

RocketRollRebel
08-21-2009, 02:31 AM
yeah just load up on ccw's. I wouldn't bother with any other upgrades for it aside from the heavy flamer which I believe is free. Keep it cheap and charge a couple of them across the table with maniacal laughter and battle cannons a blazing!

blueshift
08-21-2009, 02:43 PM
so i know this is a little off-subject... but what else do you take for your heavy support slots when playing an assault-heavy army? i play khorne on occasion and would like to know if 2x land raider + 1 defiler is viable...

Mike X
08-21-2009, 04:48 PM
you cant shoot anything else if you fire ordinance.

You know, I honestly didn't know that. I wish I had... it really would've been a game changer. But even then, I'm sure she would've just jiggled her way out of rule breaking...

...Stupid girls and their boobs...

RocketRollRebel
08-21-2009, 07:37 PM
so i know this is a little off-subject... but what else do you take for your heavy support slots when playing an assault-heavy army? i play khorne on occasion and would like to know if 2x land raider + 1 defiler is viable...

oh yeah for sure. The two landraiders will take a lot of fire for the defiler so it should make it across the board fairly safe.

Chaos
08-22-2009, 08:57 AM
K thanks

Nabterayl
08-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Page 58, under Ordnance Weapons.

Warmaster Primus
09-03-2009, 07:02 AM
I say 3 CCW and the TW H-Flamer. Most of the time, you're going to be firing that battlecannon. If that gets knocked off, then you go for hth. Most of the time this happens to me, I use fleet to get into hth and if I get the chance I use the H-Flamer.

MaidenManiac
09-03-2009, 01:38 PM
All DCCW and a Battlecannon
Move forwards and shoot
Move forwards and shoot
Move forwards, fleet, assault

The first weapon destroyed will pick the Battlecannon and once you loose that one its harmless. Go for 6 DCCW S10 A on the charge instead of keeping a ****ty reaper autocannon. Atleast those CC attacks leaves a lasting impression;)

Deadman42
09-03-2009, 02:36 PM
All DCCW and a Battlecannon
Move forwards and shoot
Move forwards and shoot
Move forwards, fleet, assault

The first weapon destroyed will pick the Battlecannon and once you loose that one its harmless. Go for 6 DCCW S10 A on the charge instead of keeping a ****ty reaper autocannon. Atleast those CC attacks leaves a lasting impression;)

My biggest problem with my defiler is that after they take off the battle cannon, he runs into combat and with a low initiative and WS, he's been squished a few times (though he took some things with him!) When you make a charge with the defiler, be very careful to watch out for power fists or other such goodies that could scrunch you.

Bill.IVC
09-03-2009, 04:14 PM
All Dread Close combat is the only way I will take these now. Their base 5 attacks make them scary in CC. The thing is that those who have faced these guys in cc shoot them fast.

As far as the low initiative I don't see it as too big of a deal. Most things with higher initiative can not pop the Defiler, those things with lower (those powerfists for example) do have a chance to do so, but in those cases your hoping for poor rolls or not being destroyed on the first it. It only takes about 2 rounds of combat for this monster to tear through a Tac squad, if that. By the time you have moved across the battlefield, shooting that Battle Cannon and get in one round of combat, you have done enough damage to justify taking the defiler.

When taking two of these look out for friends calling cheese.

I do like the idea of mixing in a land raider with them. Be careful if you take too many land raiders, your reducing your chance to take some of the best troops in the game.

GMort.
09-04-2009, 06:46 AM
My personal preference is 2x additional DCCW's.

Personally i use 3 Defilers and 3 Dreadnoughts all equipped with additional DCCW's.
All 6 only come to 750 points which still leaves me plenty of points for HQ and Troops even in a 1500 point game.

mercer
09-04-2009, 07:16 AM
extra dccw and heavy flamer for me. If you go for a dakka defiler then you really can only fire the battlecannon, or the other two weapons only. I'd rather take the battlecannon and move forward slowly and then get into combat with that extra ddcw and the heavy flamer to burn some before I go in it works well.

hereticus
09-08-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm currently running 3 Defilers, all with 2 extra DCCWs AND a Landraider in 1750. The look on peoples faces is often priceless and worth the points alone.

When in combat, remember P/fists will only glance on a 4, penetrate on a 5 (usually). The only time a glancing hit will do any damage is a 5+ as Defilers ignore stunned/shaken results. A Glancing 5 will only give them Weapon destroyed. Not a big Deal when you have 4 CCWs + BC to choose from. Powerfists aren't really that scary, when you break them down.

RocketRollRebel
09-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm currently running 3 Defilers, all with 2 extra DCCWs AND a Landraider in 1750. The look on peoples faces is often priceless and worth the points alone.

When in combat, remember P/fists will only glance on a 4, penetrate on a 5 (usually). The only time a glancing hit will do any damage is a 5+ as Defilers ignore stunned/shaken results. A Glancing 5 will only give them Weapon destroyed. Not a big Deal when you have 4 CCWs + BC to choose from. Powerfists aren't really that scary, when you break them down.

That sounds nice and covers all the bases but forgive me for asking but how do you get 3 defilers and a landraider. Is it a dedicated transport for someone?

Denzark
09-09-2009, 03:21 AM
That sounds nice and covers all the bases but forgive me for asking but how do you get 3 defilers and a landraider. Is it a dedicated transport for someone?

yes terminators.

DarkLink
09-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Generally speaking, Defilers are useful for two things offensively: they have guns and are tough in close combat. Of their guns, the battlecannon is the biggest by far, so if you are shooting, you are probably only going to be shooting the battlecannon. None of the other guns are really good enough to give you a reason to not go into close combat normally, so the other weapon choices should be combat oriented, meaning either heavy flamer and CCW, or 2 CCW's.