PDA

View Full Version : Determing Deployment Distances Re: Infiltrate

Inquisitor Hate Machine
07-28-2009, 10:33 PM
This came up on another forum, and I dont think it was sufficiently answered.

When you are setting up infiltrators, do you count vertical measurements as well?

For example:

If I set up my infiltrators on the 2nd level of a building, do you measure diagonally to the models or do you consider each level 3" of movement?

some argue that you measure flat distances, so measure as if they were on the bottom floor (like templates) others say "TLOS, so you measure the hypotenuse "

What say you!

crazyredpraetorian
07-28-2009, 11:12 PM
I always measure "line of sight" distance.

CrusherJoe
07-29-2009, 04:53 AM
I haven't played with a lot of infiltrators much (though that is going to change very soon what with the new army and all) but when I have, I always measured "flat" distance and that seemed to be all right with my opponents. It may be that there just wasn't a lot of multi-level measuring to be done in the first place, I honestly don't remember.

I would suggest discussing with your opponent prior to deployment to make sure you're both on the same page. I can see the validity of either way...but thinking about it, the TLOS is probably the way to go, considering you're having to use "line of sight" as the determining factor on how far out you have to put your minis when infiltrating.

RealGenius
07-29-2009, 07:59 AM
I always measure the direct model-to-model (or base to base) distance. Remember that infiltrators can be setup at 12" if they are out of LOS, so it isn't quite the same as measuring LOS shooting.

Obviously, don't start your assault infiltrators on the upper floors of a building unless they can ignore terrain. You'll only gain 1/2" or so of horizontal distance, but you'll have to pay 3" to move down. Opposite for shooty infiltrators so they are more protected.

It would be interesting to play on a table that had a building tall enough to have the enemy at the bottom and infiltrators on the roof.

Jwolf
07-29-2009, 12:08 PM
I always measure the direct model-to-model (or base to base) distance. Remember that infiltrators can be setup at 12" if they are out of LOS, so it isn't quite the same as measuring LOS shooting.

Obviously, don't start your assault infiltrators on the upper floors of a building unless they can ignore terrain. You'll only gain 1/2" or so of horizontal distance, but you'll have to pay 3" to move down. Opposite for shooty infiltrators so they are more protected.

It would be interesting to play on a table that had a building tall enough to have the enemy at the bottom and infiltrators on the roof.

Okay, I like that idea. If only we had buildings, unbuilt, that we could make into some sort of monstrous hive building.

RealGenius
07-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Okay, I like that idea. If only we had buildings, unbuilt, that we could make into some sort of monstrous hive building.

If only.

crazyredpraetorian
07-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Ratlings would OWN the skyscrapers............................for 2-3 turns.

CrusherJoe
07-31-2009, 01:41 AM
That's why The Emperor gave us jump packs. :)

Khestra the Unbeheld
07-31-2009, 09:01 AM
That's why The Emperor gave us jump packs. :)

*weeps at loss of Traits from Codex: SM* ;)

Welshman1440
07-31-2009, 11:56 AM
I've always measured base to base in my games and most people seem to do the same. You only gain a very small amount of distance and as most shooting is done from base to base it's the same distance

The Broasted
07-31-2009, 12:57 PM
I agree with the base-to-base ruling, as that way it is clear that the models are at least 12" away.

bullymike
07-31-2009, 02:42 PM
lolz

http://blacklotusarts.com/forum/index.php?topic=4023.0

Vikin
07-31-2009, 05:53 PM
^^This