PDA

View Full Version : help for a new guy

piraka
08-20-2009, 06:57 AM
Hey i'm gettin into warhammer and just want to know what people would suggest for a first army, first things to do/buy and stuff like that

I have done some research and worked out i want to do a mainly assault army but not orks or necrons because i just don't like the way they look but i don't mind any other army

any advice will be taking into consideration :D

Majorcrash
08-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Marines, just about everyone starts with them. For a assault version maybe consider Chaos.

vman
08-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Depends what army your after but I would suggest get a HQ choice model and 2 troops choices

If your after Eldar i would say

Buy a seer council (1 Farseer and some Warlocks) and a box of dire avengers and a box of Guardians

Thats a good way to start and allows you to start playing

After that i would suggest some striking scoprions and howling banshees with a wave serpent

:D

vman
08-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Majorcrash is also correct. Chaos Space Marines are one of the best troops choices in the game.

They are space marines but better.

Plague marines for example are tougher, get an extra attack and have feel no pain which effectively allows them to reroll a save

Cryl
08-20-2009, 07:16 AM
If you're looking for an assault biased army then (and this is purely my opinion) you're looking at
Tyranids
Dark Eldar
Black Templars, Blood Angels or Space Wolves (although I'd wait for the new codex if you're tempted by space vikings, erm, wolves)
Chaos Space Marines

I don't include the middle ground forces like vanilla Space Marines or Eldar as they're not primarily assault armies and I've left out the blatantly shooty forces like Tau or Imperial Guard.

I'd take that list of armies and look through the background and models for each force and see what you like the idea of, the best army in game may not be something you like (orks are pretty effective but if you're not a fan then you're never going to stick with them). Once you're down to one or two armies you really like buy, beg, borrow or steal the codexes and have a read through, maybe watch a few games or ask to borrow armies from friends if either of those are an option?

In your position my personal preference would be one of the marine variants or CSMs as they're going to be a little more forgiving for a new player plus they can do things other than assault if you want them to, tyranids are a little too one dimensional for my taste I'd stay away from Dark Eldar as a new player, the codex and the models are old and there have been rumours of an update for years but it's all personal choice, they're a good if hard to master army and you may really like them. Likewise the newer forces in there like the wolves may be amazing in game but if you're not a fan of the background or model style then they're probably not for you.

Whatever you pick make sure it's something you will enjoy building and painting as they're a major part of the hobby too and painting 100 models you're not really keen on will drive you mad!

Hope some of my rambling helps :)

ZenPaladin
08-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Hey new guy! I agree with all that has been said here so far.

I'd also sugest checking out the E-bay links here on BoLS and looking for a local store that provides a discount to purchases. Any of the battle force boxes will have all the modles you need to start an army and at a good discount.

That will help you get a playable force with out spending to much dosh.

Mike Dunford
08-20-2009, 07:40 AM
I'd suggest space marines. If you want to play them assaulty, you can always go for Blood Angels - the supplemental codex is available on the GW site for free (I'm pretty sure). The advantage that they've got over Chaos, 'nids, or the rest of the suggestions for someone just getting into the hobby is logistic.

They're included in the Assault on Black Reach starter, which for $75 USD gets you the rules books, a template set, a few dice including scatter, a decent-looking SM captain, a full-strength tac squad, 5 terminators, a dreadnought, and a whole lot of orks. It's rarely hard to find someone who's willing to trade black reach orks for black reach marines, so you should be able to double those numbers. That gets you two HQs, two troop choices, and three to four elite choices depending on how you play the termies. It's a good starting point for an army.

And SMs are one of the easier armies to paint.

piraka
08-20-2009, 07:50 AM
if i went chaos what units would be good and i'm not really into eldar the pictures just what i could find:D

GreenMarines
08-20-2009, 07:52 AM
If I were you, I would wait 1,5 month until october when Space Wolves will get a new codex.

reasons:

1. a new codex = uptodate (you don't wont to start a hobby und use an army which is not competitiv)

2. imo nice models

3. Marines are a good starter Aamy

warmonger
08-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Things to include in a CSM army are: Plague Marines, Berserkers, Obliterators, Rhinos, winged Daemon Prince. That should get you started.

piraka
08-20-2009, 08:00 AM
are there any SM chapters except blood angels that focus on assault?

GreenMarines
08-20-2009, 08:07 AM
Black Templars or Space Wolves

Herald of Nurgle
08-20-2009, 01:14 PM
if i went chaos what units would be good and i'm not really into eldar the pictures just what i could find:D
Think Base, Buff, and Buff. That's how you build an army

Base:
1 HQ, 2 Good Holding Troops.

For example:
BASE
Chaos Sorcerer (Think Slaanesh if you want Control, Think Nurgle if you want Tough, Think Tzeentch if you want OMG HOW MANY SHOOTING THINGS DO YOU HAVE)
10 Plague Marines/10 Thousand Sons. These are either immediately tough (feel no pain) or eternally tough (4+ Invun on top of the power armour). Both then have their bonus equipment (Thousand Son Bolters, and Toughness 5/Blight Grenades). Both have disadvantages (Slow and Purposeful/Sorcerer Commands, or Initiative 3)
10 Chaos Space Marines

BUFF 1
Buff One will be a balance to your previous area - if you chose Plague Marines, then you go Shooty. If you chose Thousand Sons, you go Assaulty.
Chaos Raptors/Possessed/Terminators/Defiler - Assaulty
Dreadnought/Havocs/Generic Tank/Defiler - Shooty
Note the Defiler. He's a sort of all round/crazy cool thing

BUFF 2
Buff Two will be a reverse to Buff One. See above for detail, lol

Continue till the build is done

Drunkencorgimaster
08-20-2009, 01:25 PM
It is up to you, but I would not go with Space Wolves, Templars, or Blood Angels. I started with Space Wolves myself and in retrospect I think a basic Space Marine army is the way to go, especially if you are new to the game. The regular "Vanilla" army is easy to learn and very forgiving to play. You can still load the regular Space Marines up with a fair number of fast attack units and if you put your tactical squads in rhinos they can effectively become assault troops. Furthermore, you may find your tactics changing over time. You might want to experiment with more "shooty" options at some point.

BuFFo
08-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Hey i'm gettin into warhammer and just want to know what people would suggest for a first army, first things to do/buy and stuff like that

I have done some research and worked out i want to do a mainly assault army but not orks or necrons because i just don't like the way they look but i don't mind any other army

any advice will be taking into consideration :D

Just get whatever army gels with what you like.

MajorSoB
08-20-2009, 05:48 PM
I would recommmend either loyalist Space Marines or CSM. Both armies have a variety of choices and ways to play while being forgiving enough for a newer player to compete with. I would steer clear or Eldar or Dark Eldar. These armies tend to be more of a player's army since they lack armor saves that will bail you out while you are learning. A big plus in the loaylist Space Marines corner is that they can be gathered rather inexpensively by buying multiple editions of AoBR and getting cast off models from some of your more experienced gaming friends. I also would not start with BA, Templars, or Space Wolves since they are more one dimensional that generic marines. You may find that a balanced force is more to your liking rather than have an army that only does one thing well. Good luck with whatever you choose.

BuFFo
08-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Dark Eldar.

Chumbalaya
08-20-2009, 09:59 PM
If you want assaulty, normal Marines do this pretty well.

Assault Terminators with thunder hammers and storm shields are one of the strongest units in the game currently, they truly beat face. Mount up 2 units in Land Raiders and you can pretty much steamroll anything. Just use the rest of your army (Tacticals in Rhinos, Predators set up for maximum dakka, Speeders, Dreads) to knock out enemy vehicles and thin their ranks before your assault hits home.

Chaos has a choppy bend, but they suffer from a lack of reliable anti-armor at range and get smashed up by Assault Terminator (unless they're Berzerkers).

I'd recommend finding some people who already play and get some test games in so you can get a feel for the army you want to field.

Shadow Queen
08-22-2009, 09:47 AM
you could go for white scars