PDA

View Full Version : Grand waaaagh!

Tynskel
09-25-2010, 09:54 AM
This is my friend's list for the tourney next weekend. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Grand Waaagh GT Army List

1850 Tau Empire

Shadowsun [175]
Stealth Team 1 [349]
6 Stealth Suits (180)
-2 Fusion Blasters (4)
--2 Target Locks (10)
-3 Drone Controllers (0)
--2 Gun Drones (20)
--1 Marker & 1 Gun Drone (40)
--1 Marker & 1 Gun Drone (40)
-Team Leader (5)
--Targeting Array (10)
--Marklight (10)
--Multitracker (5)
--Bonding Knife (5)
--Drone Controller (0)
---2 Gun Drones (20)
Fire Warrior Team 1 [250]
12 Fire Warriors (120)
-Shas'ui (10)
Devilfish (80)
-Disruption Pod (5)
-Multi-Tracker (10)
-Targeting Array (5)
-Smart Missile System (20)
Fire Warrior Team 2 [250]
12 Fire Warriors (120)
-Shas'ui (10)
Devilfish (80)
-Disruption Pod (5)
-Multi-Tracker (10)
-Targeting Array (5)
Fire Warrior Team 3 [130]
12 Fire Warriors (120)
-Shas'ui (10)
Kroot Carnivore Squad [140]
20 Kroot (140)
Pathfinder Team [226]
8 Pathfinders (96)
-Shas'ui (10)
Devilfish (80)
-Disruption Pod (5)
-Multi-Tracker (10)
-Targeting Array (5)
Broadside Battlesuit 1 [80]
XV88 Suit (70)
-Advanced Stabilization System (10)
Broadside Battlesuit 1 [80]
XV88 Suit (70)
-Advanced Stabilization System (10)
Hammerhead MBT [170]
Hammerhead (90)
-Railgun (50)
-Burst Cannons (10)
-Multi-Tracker (10)
-Target Lock (5)
-Disruption Pod (5)

Nungunz
09-26-2010, 10:04 AM
If this is for a tourny, this list fails pretty hard. Too many points sunk in weak, throw-away units (firewarriors) and not nearly enough firepower (not nearly enough battlesuits). Shadow Sun isn't very good in the first place and he isn't being used for his bonuses at all.

Broadsides and Railhead are okay, though I'd like to see the broadsides in groups of 2.

I'd honestly suggest reworking the list from scratch. Tau rely on the mobility and firepower of their suits. The is one of the armies where you want to maximize you elites (Around 8-10 crisis suits) and minimize your troops (think 1 or 2 6-man firewarrior squads and then 2 10-man kroot squad with hounds).

Use the Crisis and broadsides the rain down death while the kroot block board edges to protect against outflankers or sit in front of the guns the block charges against your suits.

A group of 2 piranhas to park in front of key enemy units (like landraiders) to block their movement would also be good.

Sorry, I just don't see this working at the tournament level in any way.

Tynskel
09-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Lemmy see if translate this right: he needs more anti-tank, because that's ultimately what crisis suits are used for.

Hmmm, well I know that 8 crisis suits isn't much of an option because I think he only has three suits.

I am curious what you mean that he's failed at using shadowsun, because he has been using her for years, and she pretty much operates by herself, usually near the stealth suits (however, they are not always equipped the same way). Down a flank, because that's her major advantage, blasting tanks and taking limited firepower back. She almost is never killed, and she usually kills double her point value (roughly 350 points per game).

Hmmmm... Well, I'll see what he says. We might be able to drop a fire warrior unit and some stealth extras for a three suits. One cheap (flamer, burst cannon) and two with fusion n'missiles.

Thanks for the pearls.

Nungunz
09-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Lemmy see if translate this right: he needs more anti-tank, because that's ultimately what crisis suits are used for.

Hmmm, well I know that 8 crisis suits isn't much of an option because I think he only has three suits.

Not necessarily. The most common Crisis suit builds (plasma/missile/ TL-missile + TA / TL-missile + flamer) can handle MCs, Heavy Infantry, MEQs, and light to medium vehicles. The third variant can also handle hordes if absolutely needed.

I am curious what you mean that he's failed at using shadowsun, because he has been using her for years, and she pretty much operates by herself, usually near the stealth suits (however, they are not always equipped the same way). Down a flank, because that's her major advantage, blasting tanks and taking limited firepower back. She almost is never killed, and she usually kills double her point value (roughly 350 points per game).

Shadow Sun is inefficient and easily killed if she's on her own. Her guns mean she needs to be at point-blank range. Shield Drones will only soak up so much firepower. She's not all that tough, either, very easy to insta-kill high-strength weapons.

At her point cost it would just be better to take a Shas'el and bodyguard. She simply is not worth the it.

In a tournament setting she will quickly be singled out and focus-fired to death.

Hmmmm... Well, I'll see what he says. We might be able to drop a fire warrior unit and some stealth extras for a three suits. One cheap (flamer, burst cannon) and two with fusion n'missiles.

Alright, unfortunately those are poor load-outs. Has he magnetized those at all or is he able to swap them out? Suits should not really be getting up close to anything. Let the Broadsides handle Heavy Armor from a safe distance.

Tynskel
09-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Well, I can tell you that my friend does well with shadowsun- she almost always survives and kills roughly twice her point value.

Does that mean my friend wins? No, I am just stating how she performs- she's very good, but has a limited application. He regularly takes her to tourneys.

I am not following some of your notation. But, I think the gist of what you are saying is to set the crisis suits for heavy infantry and light transport busting- maybe a guy for ablative wounds.

Is TA- targeting array? So maybe 2 with Missile, Plasma, Targeting Array. The third with flamer and twin-missile pods.

Hmmm... He did mention he has a hard time with 'big guys'.

Thanks.

Nungunz
09-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Sorry if I came off as a bit terse before.

Well, I can tell you that my friend does well with shadowsun- she almost always survives and kills roughly twice her point value.

Does that mean my friend wins? No, I am just stating how she performs- she's very good, but has a limited application. He regularly takes her to tourneys.

Ah. When I comment on tourny lists I usually get fairly strict/harsh in criticism as I tend to go for the all-out wins.

I am not following some of your notation. But, I think the gist of what you are saying is to set the crisis suits for heavy infantry and light transport busting- maybe a guy for ablative wounds.

Sorry about that, but yeah. Crisis suits are the biggest damage dealers in the Tau arsenal. Firewarriors aren't bad stat- wise. It's just that they are very limited in functionality (no special weapons), are pricey, and get chewed to pieces in CC.

While most of the newer armies have troop units that are crazy versatile and can be geared to handle a variety of tasks (such as Grey Hunters or IG Veterans), the Tau troop units aren't. By the nature of the codex they are forced to try and dump as many points into elite and heavy support or they lose their versatility and power.

Is TA- targeting array? So maybe 2 with Missile, Plasma, Targeting Array. The third with flamer and twin-missile pods.

Yep TA = Targeting Array. Yeah, 2 with MP/PR (missile pod/plasma rifle) would be good. TA isn't so good though. You need to take a Multi-Tracker in order to fire both weapons. If they are in the same squad then the commander should probably have Hard-Wired Target Lock as well so you can target more enemy units.

Third build looks good. Shield Drones would help to soak up some wounds. I know the first thing I would do is target all of my lascannons/missile launcher/demolisher cannons/battle cannons/etc at them to get the instant deaths.

Hmmm... He did mention he has a hard time with 'big guys'.

Thanks.

Monstrous Creatures? Railguns, Plasma Rifles, and Missile Pods are what kill those things.