PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid Codex Rumours (Warpshadow)

The Custodian
08-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Alright boys, girls, and nameless entities to horrible to name, I just found this interesting little info on the net from Warpshadow on an upcoming nid Codex. Seems the guy spoke to Phil Kelly during GD Germany. Heres the jist ofthe info...

-4 New Tyranid species, one of which apparently will make the current fex look like a dwarf (Trygon?)

-Return of Nid Characters... Apparently they will be big creatures that have survived wthrough battlefields and evolved into something better

-Plastic Hive Tyrant (WITH WINGS!)

-Codex is already done and written by the same guy who wrote the Guard dex, models are beeing worked on I suppose and probably balancing issues (Like GW does that :rolleyes:)

-Tyranids will have evolved ways to deal with all the mech thats been plopping up... Meaning anti tank/skimmer... I believe its implied that Biovores will once again be viable!

-Release next year

Enjoy!

Original topic: First true rumours show up from Terrorfex
http://forum.warpshadow.com/viewtopic.php?t=12625&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

VinceBlack
08-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Im drooling already :rolleyes:

Drew da Destroya
08-20-2009, 09:24 AM
I think that someone on Warpshadow mentioned Plastic Gargoyles being worked on... I can't actually verify that, but it seems like a no-brainer, considering how expensive the metal gargoyles are now.

Erazoender
08-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Finally, I can take them off my shelf!

How awesome this is for me. My wolves are getting an update this year, and my Tyranids next year!

BuFFo
08-20-2009, 10:34 AM
I think that someone on Warpshadow mentioned Plastic Gargoyles being worked on... I can't actually verify that, but it seems like a no-brainer, considering how expensive the metal gargoyles are now.

Never.

Plastic Goyles have been rumored to come out since the late 90's.

:mad:

TheKingElessar
08-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Yes, in March of next year.

Since it's been printed and all, I think it's more the models they're doing, I doubt anything other than slight tweaks will be made. As for balance? *Sigh*

DuskRaider
08-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Oh lovely... Trygons and Malanthropes the rumor. Yeah, gargantuan creatures in a normal game. I guess it's time to play Renegades with one or two Brass Scorpions.

warpcrafter
08-20-2009, 12:07 PM
If they actually do put Trygons in the Codex, I will be all over this. And I was just saying to all and sundry at my FLGS that after Orks and LatD that I would never again do a horde army. Sigh....:rolleyes:

Exitus Acta Probat
08-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Oh lovely... Trygons and Malanthropes the rumor. Yeah, gargantuan creatures in a normal game. I guess it's time to play Renegades with one or two Brass Scorpions.

I don't think the Malanthrope's actually a Gargantuan Creature, and if you've played with or against a Trygon you'd realize it's about equal to (or not as good) as a medium heavy tweaked God-Fex. (even without the Deep Strike only rule).

Gimme a Malanthrope FTW...the Plastic Trygon looks nigh as good or better than the FW one, so if they do the same thing with the same quality I will LOVE that model!

DuskRaider
08-20-2009, 12:15 PM
I thought the Malanthrope was considered a Gargantuan Creature ( at least in FW rules). They'll have to really dumb them down a lot to make it an even playing field, and even then they're talking making "squadrons" of Carnifexes. Which if that happens will be horrifying.

Codex creep FTW!

Nevermind, the Malanthrope is an MC. Instant Death on any wounds, though. Ouch. Trygon is classified as a Gargantuan Creature, though.

Exitus Acta Probat
08-20-2009, 12:25 PM
I thought the Malanthrope was considered a Gargantuan Creature ( at least in FW rules). They'll have to really dumb them down a lot to make it an even playing field, and even then they're talking making "squadrons" of Carnifexes. Which if that happens will be horrifying.

Codex creep FTW!

Nevermind, the Malanthrope is an MC. Instant Death on any wounds, though. Ouch. Trygon is classified as a Gargantuan Creature, though.

Trygon is yeah, but no better than a 3+ save and 5 wounds at 300 points?
I would rather spend under that for a slower 2+ save Carni with the same survivability stat-line (7 tough/5 wound/2+ save...I don't generally waste points on regen, but that makes a carni even more survivable).
Coupled with Size (it's actually easier to get a cover save for a 'fex than a trygon) they would have to ramp UP the trygon to make it worth while (and get rid of the DS only option...)

Now Carni squads are SCARY! (though I missed that part of the rumor?)

The Custodian
08-20-2009, 12:26 PM
But the trygon is borderline gargantuan in the same way that a landraider is borderline superheavy... Its statline is the weakest of all TGC... As far as 'squadrons', even though theyd be broods or squads, of Fexes go I think its a bad idea... THe current ex limits a player to a max of 6 fexes, but if theres squads then well be seeing as many as 9 fexes on top of any HQ tyrants... THey should keep nidzilla the way it is unless the army is changed radicaly in the next dex.

wittdooley
08-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Hey, I'm kosher as long as we see some new plastic kits for the nids. Plastic kits we NEED:

Tyrant Guard. I mean, if you're gonna do a new Tyrant kit, do a TyG kit too. Stick enough of the present TyG in a sock and you could whack a guy.

Gargoyles. Everyone wants these. Doing a plastic kit CAN'T be that difficult for this model.

Plastic Broodlord. I don't think this is a need, but I'd love to see one in a 10-15 dollar box ala the SM commander or the fantasy wizards.

Honestly, I hope GW starts to move everything except unique characters into plastic. IG needs plastic stormtroopers. Orks need plastic Kans/Dredz. The tech is there. Let's get it going!

TheKingElessar
08-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Actually, I've been telling people for ages how NidZilla isn't competitive...and nothing I know about the new Nid Dex changes that. Quite the opposite...

Exitus Acta Probat
08-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Hey, I'm kosher as long as we see some new plastic kits for the nids. Plastic kits we NEED:

Tyrant Guard.(yup)

Gargoyles. (yup)

Plastic Broodlord. (don't think they'll do it for a bit, we get the one from Space Hulk I'll bet)

Honestly, I hope GW starts to move everything except unique characters into plastic. IG needs plastic stormtroopers. Orks need plastic Kans/Dredz. The tech is there. Let's get it going!

and RAVENERS! :)

TKE: not many people that have been playing 'nids for any length of time really care whether nidzilla are 'competitive' or not...they play them because they love them. (let me correct this and not speak in absolutes...many of the people I know that did not jump on the Zilla wagon cause it 'roxor's when it became prevalent)

I have 7 Fexes because I like the new models so much. I don't expect to win tourney's with em, but I bloody well expect to have fun playing them.
When I want to win an RTT, I pull out my guard/sisters/or SM...
When I want to have FUN at an RTT regardless of results (ie; I go to socialize with new players etc) I go with my Big bugs, my orks or my 'cult' CSM lists...

Andrew283
08-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Nids are going to be made even more awsome :D

npullan
08-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Nids are going to be made even more awsome :D

+1 for truth.

And if they're making a plastic Trygon I can't imagine them NOT making plastic Raveners.

Seriously, 'Nid Fast Attack is so $$ restrictive you hardly ever see more than 1 or 2 Raveners.

Xas
08-20-2009, 02:40 PM
trygon isnt even close to a landraider in terms of "mass" (the volume the body consumes from a felt perspective); it is rather like a leman russ which is a common heavy tank and far from superheavy.

what I'd consider borderline superheavy/gargantuan is the hierodule ("armored hamster").

if you'd ask me I'd keep the trygons rules as they are (stat line wise). make them "normal" monstrous creatures (keeping the attack by deepstriking, maybe give the same rule to ravs), give them a 12" charge and fleet, tone down the cost a bit (prolly to 250pts because it still is a ******* carnifex which can attack from deepstrike or have a 19-24" charge distance if deployed!) and icnrease the invul from 6+ to 5+ (4+ if you want to be cheesy/make it worth 300pts).

the hasmters should be normal MCs as well. they are about the size of a landraider! the only "superheavy" about them in current rules is their speed (12" GC movement and 2d6 fleet wtf?!?) and guns.

make them keep their statline, be normal MCs, cost around 300-350pts and tone down the guns (and prolly give a 2+ save or at least an option to buy it) to normal powerlevel (4 shots s10 ap4, twinlinked for the barbed and the hellhound weapon for the scyted) and you are set. prolly make them real tanks by giving them an improved form of regenration. or fleet because the modells look quite "runney".

warpcrafter
08-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Isn't the Heirodule the smaller of the two Tyranid bio-titans? That seems to make them gargantuan creatures without exception.

the_puritan
08-20-2009, 05:07 PM
it's about equal to (or not as good) as a medium heavy tweaked God-Fex.
I can only agree here...
Malanthropes and Trygons aren't that tough (although i am a screaming fanboy of both models) and wouldn't unbalance games of 40k.
...and i'm sure they'd just be regular ol' MCs anyway.

EmperorEternalXIX
08-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Since it's been printed and all, I think it's more the models they're doing, I doubt anything other than slight tweaks will be made. As for balance? *Sigh* Agreed. Seems like they have a winning formula right now...

1. Redo high model count army
2. Make everything 15-40% cheaper
3. Vastly improve units that weren't big sellers

I will be glad to see the nids get the buff though. They SHOULD be one of the toughest, scariest armies!!

The Custodian
08-20-2009, 05:45 PM
You forgot to add increase the prices of all model boxes like have been with the newly released races... DOnt be suprised to see boxes of 8 gaunts and maybe some rippers going for 25$ (CDN)... Im not liking this... And I hope to god that they dont change the battleforce at all... Currently its a great package and Id rather not see it become like th IG one... That ones horrible.

TheKingElessar
08-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Not sure about Rippers. It'll be ten Gaunts though.

Crotch Lictor
08-21-2009, 08:04 AM
It'd be nice if they did toughen up the armor saves on some troops a little. There's just too many AP4 weapons around these days. I'm not talkiing the cheap units like gaunts that are supposed to be cheap and expendable, but a 5+ armor save on something like a Ravener or a Lictor, which are supposed to be cloe combat monsters seems a little light. Yes, I understand you don't want to send them into combat unsupported, but still, let's be reasonable.

Thirteen
08-21-2009, 08:47 AM
I can only agree here...
Malanthropes and Trygons aren't that tough (although i am a screaming fanboy of both models) and wouldn't unbalance games of 40k.
...and i'm sure they'd just be regular ol' MCs anyway.

Malanthropes can be taken as HQ choices in regular 40k (According to IA: Apocalypse) and I take mine often for regular game nights and FW enabled tournaments and I totally agree with you that it doesn't unbalance the game at all. It's quite easy to shoot down and it's low weapon skill and moderate initiative keep it from being instant win against Independent characters. And boy is it ever a beautiful model.

Anyway getting to the point, I would love to see malanthropes in the new codex but I doubt it will happen, trygons on the otherhand I can very easily see.

On another note,for some reason I am having this nagging feeling that they are moving Genestealers to Elites and making it so that if you take a broodlord then you can take them as troops.

The Custodian
08-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Genestealers have always been troops in every nid codex... Why would they move them at all? Move stealers and all we have left is gaunts... AKA tarpit.

Majorcrash
08-21-2009, 09:37 AM
so I guess is need to paint RAID on the side of my bane wolf. hmmmm 9 of those should fix the problem.

Herald of Nurgle
08-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Are they deliberately now making it that you need a 5th Ed codex to have a 'balanced game'
Seriously, let's put it this way:
Tyranids > Imperial Guard > Space Marines

That's honestly how the current 5th ed stuff fit in with eachother (from rumours and playtest)

Havik110
08-21-2009, 12:27 PM
one day the dark eldar will have a new codex...I believe...

Excalibur
08-21-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm hoping they make plastic Ravenors
also what does a Malanthrope do?

oldone
08-21-2009, 03:51 PM
i would love to see the trygon in the codex and either a new one
as for the SC i think they should be like the the predto in SM for example the red terror this means that that reavers can catcher objectives :D

Thirteen
08-21-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm hoping they make plastic Ravenors
also what does a Malanthrope do?

Plastic raveners would be very nice.

Malanthropes are basically independent character killers, they are monstrous creatures who's attacks cause instant death. Other than that there really isn't much to them. I'd tell more but I'm not sure how much information is too much information to be disclosing about a data sheet.

Genestealers have always been troops in every nid codex... Why would they move them at all? Move stealers and all we have left is gaunts... AKA tarpit.

This is just a feeling that I am having, there is no basis for it other than if they were to produce a new broodlord model, and to perhaps sell more gaunts, they've got to keep an eye on that bottom line of course. Also perhaps maybe they might do it to push the power level of the Genestealers and keep the broodlord as a viable option.

EmperorEternalXIX
08-22-2009, 02:03 AM
The thing I don't get is, if the Trygon's Apoc stats are to be believed as a base...why even take it instead of a carnifex? Does this mean the "role" of the fex may change?

I'd actually like to see the stealers moved and buffed to maddening levels. It always seems odd to me how prevalent they are in nid armies. I know it's not unfluffy or whatever, but it still seems weird given their background that entire tyranid forces are often comprised of them (then again, we are living in an age where like 80% of the Imperial Guard are apparently veterans, and the space marines win battles by using their ability to run from the fight...).

Savark
08-22-2009, 04:09 AM
New evolution to handle mech? WTF! you already have nid-zilla, toxin sacs+Venom Cannon, crusher claws!

oldone
08-22-2009, 06:00 AM
New evolution to handle mech? WTF! you already have nid-zilla, toxin sacs+Venom Cannon, crusher claws!

but either with these its getting bad as u need to use the carfixs to take tanks which means if u run a horde army (i do for fun :p) u can't take down the hordes of tanks
and then what if your oppent plays GI and just hordes tanks so u just can't kill them all
all i want is a weapon which can take tanks out like a melta gun for 5 points i beleve for space marines

TheKingElessar
08-22-2009, 08:29 AM

PLEASE be sarcasm.

Exitus Acta Probat
08-22-2009, 10:36 AM

Do you PLAY Tyranids?
Have you played 5th edition?
To agree with TKE here, sarcasm?

I have been playing bugs since Space Hulk/2nd ed...and I can say that right now, they are at their LOWEST competitive level EVER... the only thing that has a chance at being rated worse right now are Orks...and we're talking marginal degrees here.
This is a DIRECT result of their inability to deal with...MECH!
(oh, by the way, NidZilla is competitive only in tournaments involving one armed blind monkeys or children right now. It doesn't stop me from playing them, I LOVE fexes and warriors...but damn I know I am mid field from the git go in a tourney.)

Chuckles
08-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Exitus, i wouldn't say that nids are as bad as you are saying. I've found that a stealer heavy nidzilla list will clean up just about anything except IG and Tau mech. IG have too many numbers, and Tau tanks are too fast and difficult to kill. But i do agree that we need some "new evolution" to deal with mech (ahem! biovores...).

As for the trygon, i belive that the plastic model will be released with the codex, but the rules will not be in the codex. We will have to use Apoc rules, like stompas and baneblades.

Exitus Acta Probat
08-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Exitus, i wouldn't say that nids are as bad as you are saying. I've found that a stealer heavy nidzilla list will clean up just about anything except IG and Tau mech.

Point, there's Necrons out there! ;)

I do catch what you're saying...'stealer shock is a solid list for bugs, but it still falls on it's face in the long run.
Playing mech armies I fear very little from other's (or my own) 'nids/orks and only a little from 'crons.
Since we can't really expect a 'meching for 'nids (if they tried a bio-transport I think I'd cry...I know there was one ages ago at the super heavy level, but I never was that fond of the concept...what'd they do? poop em?)
we have to hope for something to bring us to parity.

Nerfing certain things to up the sales of others is a GW trait, but not necessary.
The Tyrants/Fexes sold almost solely on the merit of new model/improved model last time around.
Between a Trygon (which I am betting on/hoping for) and plasticizing models that people have been screaming for forever (gargoyles) or newer models that should have just been plasticized (tyrant guard/raveners etc etc) GW has the potential to add to a list without subtracting from it (ie: instead of nerfing, just make it competition for slots).
Make 'goyles/raveners a good points investment compared to their slot competition (and plastic) while not nerfing the SH## out of models that still need to sell (fexes etc) combined with the aforementioned breaking up of gaunts (producing less 'whadda I do with this 8) and still stlightly upping the price of those, and you've got a winning formula to make more money/sell more models AND keep the invested vets happy that want BOTH!

Salvation122
08-22-2009, 12:46 PM
More than new big bugs like Trygons or Malanthropes, the Nids need a new, solid Elite choice or two. Making Hormagaunts, Biovores and Zoanthropes usable would also be nice.

mutantpoo
08-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Bigger than a fex ? Hmmm, wonder if there's any chance of a plastic Hierodule :) ?

Deej
08-23-2009, 02:52 AM
Would rather the new codex included My Little Pony than 'nid characters. Really hope it's done tastefully, like some kind of extra-expensive super-Tyrant. Old One Eye was like someone had let a 12-year-old loose on the codex.

Shas'O D'Narb
08-23-2009, 02:56 AM
My Little Pony
I second this idea... plus, they'd have one heck of a Friendship Garden!
:o

TheKingElessar
08-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Exitus, i wouldn't say that nids are as bad as you are saying. I've found that a stealer heavy nidzilla list will clean up just about anything except IG and Tau mech. IG have too many numbers, and Tau tanks are too fast and difficult to kill. But i do agree that we need some "new evolution" to deal with mech (ahem! biovores...).

As for the trygon, i belive that the plastic model will be released with the codex, but the rules will not be in the codex. We will have to use Apoc rules, like stompas and baneblades.

Or Eldar. or Dark Eldar. lol.

Even a Land-Raider spam list is awesome against Nids. I'd expect to table Nids with 4 LRCs.

Andrew283
08-23-2009, 09:54 AM
"Even a Land-Raider spam list is awesome against Nids. I'd expect to table Nids with 4 LRCs."

Then I can just spam an assualt fex list as own you :D

TheKingElessar
08-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Umm....well, it would certainly do BETTER...although I happen to think the TH/SS inside my Raiders would munch you. Also, that list would then crumple to ANY other list in the game. lol

Andrew283
08-24-2009, 02:21 PM
TH/SS are nothing to one of my 260pt Carnifex's mwahahahaha. Even with them I'll just horde them with uber-stealers and Broodlord

Havik110
08-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Plastic Broodlord. I don't think this is a need, but I'd love to see one in a 10-15 dollar box ala the SM commander or the fantasy wizards.

See Space hulk...already done...

TheKingElessar
08-25-2009, 07:55 AM
TH/SS are nothing to one of my 260pt Carnifex's mwahahahaha. Even with them I'll just horde them with uber-stealers and Broodlord

lol

Fife isn't far enough from Norn Iron that I won't challenge you to prove that, once I get a SM army painted enough to go on tour you know!

Thiselton
08-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Didn't 'Nids win BoLScon this past weekend? I wouldn't say that the people who played that tourney are blind retarded monkeys...

That said, all of the hyperbole floating around is about how the 'nids need an update, I agree they have their issues with the new rule set, as any army that isn't written with the new ruleset in mind, cough deamonhunters/witchhunters/necron/DE.

Exitus Acta Probat
08-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Didn't 'Nids win BoLScon this past weekend? I wouldn't say that the people who played that tourney are blind retarded monkeys...

Actually, it's a question of whether their opponents were retarded monkeys... ;) (joke guys, JOKE!)

Seriously though, BoLScon is a test of play environment and attitude less so than hyper-competitive lists.
Many games leaven the field, and allow the uber-lists to settle to a level and kind of hash each other up enough to let the hobby-lists(who hash each other up all the time, in the middle tables) also rise to the top.
It's just one more method of play, in a sea of them, that proves there is no RIGHT way to play the game, just different ways.

Frank fact is that in a 3 game heavy hard-list RTT or pure-scenario GT, Orks and 'Nids are outclassed. 'Nids suffer from BOTH a lack of Mech AND proper method of coping with MECH. Orks have meh mech, but LITTLE method of dealing. In order for those two lists to have won, it had to be a pool of like minded (not inferior, LIKE MINDED) players and hobby-oriented event style. That's fine, and to be able to compete in that field shows acumen for ALL aspects of the hobby, and is laudible and deserving of the win...as much as anything else.
They'd have been chewed in 'Ard Boyz, but then again they may not have been interested in 'Ard boyz, or brought other lists.

sorry, pontification off....

My 'Nids suxor...they need fixed...but I still play em, play em in tourney, and love em....and KUDOS to players who show up with them and orks regardless of the consequences...WAAAAAAAAAAAUUGGHHHH! (or clickkitychitterclickclickSCREEEEEEEEE)

(oh, Andrew, and if it ain't a joke....a maxed out carni MIGHT last two rounds of cc with THSS termies...MIGHT, with lucky dice...I know from being on both ends of the ThunderHammer many times...) ;)

TheKingElessar
08-25-2009, 10:25 AM
@ Thiselton:

Dark Eldar don't have any issues, they just ahve only one list and no fluff.

They're MILES ahead of Tyranids.

Jwolf
08-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Actually, it's a question of whether their opponents were retarded monkeys... ;) (joke guys, JOKE!)

Seriously though, BoLScon is a test of play environment and attitude less so than hyper-competitive lists.
Many games leaven the field, and allow the uber-lists to settle to a level and kind of hash each other up enough to let the hobby-lists(who hash each other up all the time, in the middle tables) also rise to the top.
It's just one more method of play, in a sea of them, that proves there is no RIGHT way to play the game, just different ways.

Frank fact is that in a 3 game heavy hard-list RTT or pure-scenario GT, Orks and 'Nids are outclassed. 'Nids suffer from BOTH a lack of Mech AND proper method of coping with MECH. Orks have meh mech, but LITTLE method of dealing. In order for those two lists to have won, it had to be a pool of like minded (not inferior, LIKE MINDED) players and hobby-oriented event style. That's fine, and to be able to compete in that field shows acumen for ALL aspects of the hobby, and is laudible and deserving of the win...as much as anything else.
They'd have been chewed in 'Ard Boyz, but then again they may not have been interested in 'Ard boyz, or brought other lists.

sorry, pontification off....

My 'Nids suxor...they need fixed...but I still play em, play em in tourney, and love em....and KUDOS to players who show up with them and orks regardless of the consequences...WAAAAAAAAAAAUUGGHHHH! (or clickkitychitterclickclickSCREEEEEEEEE)

(oh, Andrew, and if it ain't a joke....a maxed out carni MIGHT last two rounds of cc with THSS termies...MIGHT, with lucky dice...I know from being on both ends of the ThunderHammer many times...) ;)

Both the first place and second place overall winner beat multiple heavy mech armies in the course of the tournament, and both beat the army of the Best General winner, who played an entirely (besides Marbo) mech Guard list that was extremely lethal and effective (Mech Vets in Chimeras with a solid wall of steel backing them). The overall winner spent most of the tournament at top table, beating piles of hyper-competitive builds along the way.

The lists were heavily mechanized, with tons of melta-heavy Marine and Guard mechanized forces in attendance. Judging that the Overall Winner only won based on a "hobby" field without information because you couldn't do the same with his list is declasse at best. So while your opinion may be frank, it has none of the essential information to be factual. It's best if we differentiate between our opinions and fact with some clarity, wouldn't you agree?

Exitus Acta Probat
08-25-2009, 03:31 PM
TKE: DE=Good point! though I'd love a dex (and new minis) they aren't needing the help so much.

JWolf:
I am very sorry you misunderstood...I stifled a retort and re-read your post.
I did NOT denigrate your event, and if that impression was delivered understand it was not intended.
I read too much into a post, and went into a defense mode...I DEFENDED your event. Maybe that wasn’t my place. (Maybe I don’t like seeing un-necessary attacks on your site/event elsewhere). It may not seem so to you, but please re-read my post.
I happen to prefer Hobby/Competition based events, not a purist in either direction.
I'm sorry, did you not want to be associated with a 'whole-hobby' play event? Do you not like that appellation?

I was lauding this. I was defending it. I am for it.

Before you speak out of turn (as apparently you feel I did), I HAVE won RTT’s with my ‘Nids (and my Guard, and my Marines, etc…both current edition and earlier).
I have been playing them since 2nd ed, and I own EVERY army in the game. (excepting aforementioned DE, I hate the models my precious). Simple fact, Tyranids are shortlegged…anyone who denies this is fooling themselves.

That being said, I look at his list and say ‘that’s a great hobby army, to win overall with it he must represent the ENTIRE hobby…good play, painting and attitude and NOT get RPS’d.’
If this was a ‘soft score-less/competition only scenario’ event I am sorry for mis-reading everything I have read…
If not, I am sorry I offended you when I was actually joyfully reading event coverage, attitudes, army lists, play and general fun!

TheKingElessar
08-25-2009, 06:42 PM
TKE: DE=Good point! though I'd love a dex (and new minis) they aren't needing the help so much.

JWolf:
I am very sorry you misunderstood...I stifled a retort and re-read your post.
I did NOT denigrate your event, and if that impression was delivered understand it was not intended.
I read too much into a post, and went into a defense mode...I DEFENDED your event. Maybe that wasn’t my place. (Maybe I don’t like seeing un-necessary attacks on your site/event elsewhere). It may not seem so to you, but please re-read my post.
I happen to prefer Hobby/Competition based events, not a purist in either direction.
I'm sorry, did you not want to be associated with a 'whole-hobby' play event? Do you not like that appellation?

I was lauding this. I was defending it. I am for it.

Before you speak out of turn (as apparently you feel I did), I HAVE won RTT’s with my ‘Nids (and my Guard, and my Marines, etc…both current edition and earlier).
I have been playing them since 2nd ed, and I own EVERY army in the game. (excepting aforementioned DE, I hate the models my precious). Simple fact, Tyranids are shortlegged…anyone who denies this is fooling themselves.

That being said, I look at his list and say ‘that’s a great hobby army, to win overall with it he must represent the ENTIRE hobby…good play, painting and attitude and NOT get RPS’d.’
If this was a ‘soft score-less/competition only scenario’ event I am sorry for mis-reading everything I have read…
If not, I am sorry I offended you when I was actually joyfully reading event coverage, attitudes, army lists, play and general fun!

QF MotherF'ing T.

darth_papi76
08-25-2009, 07:05 PM
I don't if anyone has noticed, but the Tyranid Battleforce is no longer available on the GW website.

TheKingElessar
08-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Only in the US. As I've said, Feb/March release.

The Custodian
08-25-2009, 09:01 PM
I don't if anyone has noticed, but the Tyranid Battleforce is no longer available on the GW website.

....As I said earlier they better not mess with the battleforce (or the assault brood)... If it stays the same deal then i shall be happy, otherwise :mad:

Anyway as for the whole nids need an update I think they need tweaking but that's it. Reason GW is updating them is probably because they are among (if not the most) the most popular Xenos armies out there... Gw wants to make money, so I guess that means updating popular armies that sell well.

Drew da Destroya
08-25-2009, 09:58 PM
....As I said earlier they better not mess with the battleforce (or the assault brood)... If it stays the same deal then i shall be happy, otherwise :mad:

Don't fool yourself, man. They'll redo the battleforce without a doubt. Now, the current battleforce is a serious value... that value will likely be cut down a bit, but it will still be a good deal over buying the sets individually.

I'd expect the Carnifex to be taken out, and replaced, possibly with plastic Gargoyles. It fits with the current run of battleforces having a couple of troops choices, and a fast attack (Warbikes in the Orks, Sentinel in Guard, Assault Marines).

Don't know if the Genestealers will stay or not... it really depends on if they stay a troops choice or not.

npullan
08-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Don't fool yourself, man. They'll redo the battleforce without a doubt. Now, the current battleforce is a serious value... that value will likely be cut down a bit, but it will still be a good deal over buying the sets individually.

I'd expect the Carnifex to be taken out, and replaced, possibly with plastic Gargoyles. It fits with the current run of battleforces having a couple of troops choices, and a fast attack (Warbikes in the Orks, Sentinel in Guard, Assault Marines).

Don't know if the Genestealers will stay or not... it really depends on if they stay a troops choice or not.

But it's not necessarily to do with Fast Attack. Battleforces have been changed to provide a couple of nominal troops choices and the new shiny. It started with the Eldar which was comprised almost entirely of new shiny.

Face it. We as GW hobbyists have army and model ADD. New and shiny works to distract ALL of us. Problem is, after 20 years GW finally figured it out.

Andrew283
08-26-2009, 11:34 AM
I just had a thought.....

Since in the Fluff nidsconduct a massive presence in the warp that nulifies and even kills phykers then should the nids have a special rule that limits enemy phykers abilities somehow??

npullan
08-26-2009, 11:37 AM
I just had a thought.....

Since in the Fluff nidsconduct a massive presence in the warp that nulifies and even kills phykers then should the nids have a special rule that limits enemy phykers abilities somehow??

That was supposed to be the Shadow in the Warp ability. Problem is that it doesn't effect anything unless you also spam a Psychic Choir.

Duke
08-26-2009, 01:20 PM
If Gargatuan creatures are now playable in reg games and Carnifex's can be in units (as per rumours). Then I cringe to see what Codex creep will do to Blood Angels.

Example:
- every BA is infact Death company with feel no pain, furious assault, bolt pistol CCW, 2 attacks.
- Dante Insta Kills everything in 24", just for fun.
- Sanguinius resurrected (why not?! lol)

All I can really say is that I hope Nids gain some substantial anti tank abilities, it is one of the big reasons I stopped playing them... Well that and I don't like bugs.

-Duke

Crotch Lictor
08-26-2009, 01:26 PM
I'd like to see something come out of the last edition fluff about luring the Nids into Ork territory (p21 in the codex).

As for Nid special Characters, has anyone already mentioned the Catachan Devil? the 4th ed codex mentions it as a possible spin off of a ripper/Ravener early infestation that was driven off before the planet was eaten. That would be interesting, but I can see how it would be hard to fit into a normal army, fluffwise.

Exitus Acta Probat
08-26-2009, 09:39 PM
If Gargatuan creatures are now playable in reg games and Carnifex's can be in units (as per rumours). Then I cringe to see what Codex creep will do to Blood Angels.

Example:
- every BA is infact Death company with feel no pain, furious assault, bolt pistol CCW, 2 attacks.
- Dante Insta Kills everything in 24", just for fun.
- Sanguinius resurrected (why not?! lol)

All I can really say is that I hope Nids gain some substantial anti tank abilities, it is one of the big reasons I stopped playing them... Well that and I don't like bugs.

-Duke

I think a lot of people missed the point on this one earlier...Trygons SUCK for 300pts. :(
As an individual model that cannot get better than; a 3+ save, a hopped up fex's toughness. or more wounds than a fex...with no real shooting and no ability to regen (which I frankly don't use with fexes anyway), it's only edge is auto-penetration. Oh, and it MUST deep-strike...not can, MUST. :mad:
It does bring the whole ravener brood behind it, but even then puh-lease! When was the last time you saw a ravener brood and panicked?
They get to pop out, and either make way from some gaunts or lead some raveners...and then stand there and get gunned down with frikkin MISSILE LAUNCHERS! (oh, and they're not immune to bolters either...).

Now, there's a whole bunch of pent up frustration in that post, and it's not directed at you. I have been hearing people gripe about 'gargantuan creatures in the game now' since the rumors first hit.

For one thing, it's an extrapolation off of the fact there's a plastic one coming (almost guaranteed) and there are going to be 4 new species coming in the new book.

A) we don't know for sure that there really will be 4 new species...we know what warpshadow was told, and we also know the rumours for space hulk said 'it's something we've NEVER done before'...
you be the judge if GW is misleading sometimes.
B)the two actual statements are still independent of each other. The world isn't coming to and end ...and
C)Trygons are FUN, but they suck...I own one...it's fun to watch people go 'oh shat-tastik, a 'Nid monstrous' and then after they nuke it with a little bit of fire say 'well, WTF didja ge that for?'... (because it's Apoc, and it just looks cool...and then there's the Ravener formation)

They will have to actually ramp up the Trygon to make it worth 300pts, truth be told (and good luck giving THAT beast a cover save! lolol)

:)

Ratlingmaster
08-27-2009, 08:25 AM
i have always loved bugs cause they WERE an awesome cc army and they were fast so i would like to see a nid special rule to give them more speed like a modified run rule where they roll 2d6 instead of 1d6 for run

cco
08-27-2009, 08:42 AM
When was the last time you saw a ravener brood and panicked?

Last Sunday in fact, when a squad of them popped up next to a newly landed unit of devastators in planet strike and proceeded to kill them, as well as the captain and tactical squad I sent to retake that objective.

Deej
08-27-2009, 09:11 AM
I'd quite like to see some anti-tank 'nids that are CC only, but are crap against regular troops. Something really fast, but only has bonuses to armour penetration rather than being kick-arse against troops.

Duke
08-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Not that I am worried that a Trygon or other new species will break the balance of Nids. I was simply pointing out the codex creep... A few years ago we would never even speculate about a gargantuan creature in a regular dex, it would be like hoping to see a baneblade in codex: IG, ya know?

In another point:

I would like to see buffing up of current bug strains before adding of new one's. For example, I would like ot see Biovores actually be worth something, and have Zoanthorpes be able to punch a tank at distance.

Maybve something like this:

Biovores= Tyranid Las Cannon
Zoanthropes= Tyranid Multi Melta.

Just my two cents

Duke

TheKingElessar
08-27-2009, 09:25 AM
i have always loved bugs cause they WERE an awesome cc army and they were fast so i would like to see a nid special rule to give them more speed like a modified run rule where they roll 2d6 instead of 1d6 for run

Or like being Beasts...:rolleyes:

Exitus Acta Probat
08-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Not that I am worried that a Trygon or other new species will break the balance of Nids. I was simply pointing out the codex creep... A few years ago we would never even speculate about a gargantuan creature in a regular dex, it would be like hoping to see a baneblade in codex: IG, ya know?

In another point:

I would like to see buffing up of current bug strains before adding of new one's. For example, I would like ot see Biovores actually be worth something, and have Zoanthorpes be able to punch a tank at distance.

Maybve something like this:

Biovores= Tyranid Las Cannon
Zoanthropes= Tyranid Multi Melta.

Just my two cents

Duke

What,
we can't use our baneblades? (lolz)

I don't know that we're actually suffering 'dex creep as badly as some think...I think we're seeing a disparity increase based on 'edition' creep. As more 'dexes that are REALLY 5e balanced are coming out, those that don't innately benefit from 5e (or suffered from the shift more) are falling out.
It's similar to 2e/3e shift...some armies went to unplayable...and the interim lists in the rulebook didn't do much to save them.
It's unfortunately a real bi-product of a rules edition shift, and this one is more subtle and far reaching than the last two... (my poor poor Dark Angels and Orkses...gawds rest their wee little souls...for a few more years).

CCO:
that's planetstrike...Foot-bound pure Deathwing scares me in planetstrike! (lololol)
I shoulda clarified in tourney/baseline games...Planetstrike does make those fun!

TheKingElessar
08-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I agree, the concept of Codex Creep isn't one I'm sure I believe in.

People tend to forget how long between a Codex's writing and release there is.

Absolutionis
08-27-2009, 12:11 PM
I think a lot of people missed the point on this one earlier...Trygons SUCK for 300pts. :(Trygons are gargantuan creatures, and they have a whole set of odd rules such as tank shocking, targeting multiple units, immunity to psychics, and their stomp attack. If the IG Valkyrie lost the Flying classification, the Trygon can drop down to a Gargantuan creature with special rules.

The IG Valkyrie used to be 140pt and was dropped to 100pt once it lost the ability to be a flyer. They even upped the armor and gave it better guns.

The Trygon could maintain its stats and drop down to a 150pt creature if it loses all the gargantuan creature perks.

npullan
08-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Trygons are gargantuan creatures, and they have a whole set of odd rules such as tank shocking, targeting multiple units, immunity to psychics, and their stomp attack. If the IG Valkyrie lost the Flying classification, the Trygon can drop down to a Gargantuan creature with special rules.

The IG Valkyrie used to be 140pt and was dropped to 100pt once it lost the ability to be a flyer. They even upped the armor and gave it better guns.

The Trygon could maintain its stats and drop down to a 150pt creature if it loses all the gargantuan creature perks.

And that is most likely what is going to happen. When GW spends the money to make new plastic models, they make sure people want them. And Greatswords. But that was only once...

MaidenManiac
08-27-2009, 02:10 PM

Only in the US. As I've said, Feb/March release.

The US is probably allready out of stock on the Battleforce then. This will most likely happen in the rest of the world too sooner or later since they want to sell out before a "new and hawt" Battleforce hits the shelves. The only thing to do right now is to hope that GW will continue to release new armies in pairs, just like Space Wolfs+Skavens(Oct+Nov) in Feb+March. Would be sweet if GW picked up a bit of pace on releasing more armybooks/codices:)

Madjob
08-28-2009, 09:40 PM
When was the last time you saw a ravener brood and panicked?

Last Sunday in fact, when a squad of them popped up next to a newly landed unit of devastators in planet strike and proceeded to kill them, as well as the captain and tactical squad I sent to retake that objective.

It being a game of Planetstrike might have had a large part to play in why they were able to accomplish half of that.

oldone
08-30-2009, 10:27 AM
this is not a rumour but i think it could fix the pros of the speed of the army, give the nids a specials rule which means that they all count as beast which i belive means they all have 12" charge too quiten there pace

j-orge-287
08-31-2009, 03:47 AM
they're talking making "squadrons" of Carnifexes. Which if that happens will be horrifying.
One carnifex is bad enough but squads :eek: That amount of carnifexes will be scarier than 9 LR tanks for IG
And they don't have vehicle damage table stuff:eek:

Havik110
08-31-2009, 08:30 AM
It'd be nice if they did toughen up the armor saves on some troops a little. There's just too many AP4 weapons around these days. I'm not talkiing the cheap units like gaunts that are supposed to be cheap and expendable, but a 5+ armor save on something like a Ravener or a Lictor, which are supposed to be cloe combat monsters seems a little light. Yes, I understand you don't want to send them into combat unsupported, but still, let's be reasonable.

look at the shoota boy...I think thats what you are looking at for the basic spine fist gaunt...6 plus armor save T3 but you have fleet over the boys...I would think you would get BS4...

nidz
09-01-2009, 12:21 PM
a squad of carnifex soudns veyr intersting.

Erazoender
09-01-2009, 12:31 PM
All I'm praying for is not to drastically change our style; rather just update it.

I like how we play now, we just need some ways to deal with the new cheesy lists.

R3con
09-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Squads of Carnifex's would be evil...

PinoyC
09-01-2009, 12:56 PM
They just need to ensure that they can't have that rediculus niz-zilla list...even agains mech they make it there in tact enough to use that MC rule that just tears vehicles and infantry to shreds.

Ninthplain
09-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I would assume that the new models coming out are all plastic?

It would also be nice if they created some more affordable troop sets. Buying a swarm is a serious undertaking.

Ninthplain

Exitus Acta Probat
09-01-2009, 01:23 PM
They just need to ensure that they can't have that rediculus niz-zilla list...even agains mech they make it there in tact enough to use that MC rule that just tears vehicles and infantry to shreds.

um...nid-zilla is NOT a good list right now. sorry to burst your bubble. It died a horrible death with the advent of double lash/oblits followed by 5e. ;)

All I'm praying for is not to drastically change our style; rather just update it.

I like how we play now, we just need some ways to deal with the new cheesy lists.

Unfortunately, we WERE the cheese (for a little while) in 4e. Too many people remember that to feel a lot of sympathy for us. :(
And truthfully, there is no cheese...just startling new 'omigawd' responses that the environment has to adapt to.
By the time our codex comes out, the common 'interpretation' of cheese will be different. Between evolution to cope with AV-14, Space wolves, and the jump in DE/Dar to deal with AV-14, we'll be hoping we can survive with squads of 'fexes... :(

nidz
09-01-2009, 01:27 PM
i think we just need a way to deal with the armor 14 land raiders really besides assaulting it with the carnifex, but right now our codex is not doing that bad since, theres only a few things that are useless cause outnumbering no longer really matters.

Shrew
09-01-2009, 01:29 PM
might have to break out the nids again if half of this is true.

TheKingElessar
09-01-2009, 01:46 PM
I would assume that the new models coming out are all plastic?

It would also be nice if they created some more affordable troop sets. Buying a swarm is a serious undertaking.

Ninthplain

Ah. :(

cbfuller21
09-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Holy crap, that sounds awesome!

halon
09-01-2009, 02:35 PM
I have to say, as excited as I am by even the rumor of a plastic Trygon, I'm a little brassed off that no sooner do I buy a snazzy Forgeworld model than GW puts out a cheaper plastic version of it. Happened with the Valkyrie, then with the Trygon... I really need to start keeping my ear to the ground on the rumor-mill.

I'd love to see a plastic tyrant though, as I've always thought that big metal models were harder to use, model, and paint than big plastic versions. Just my opinion, of course.

the_puritan
09-01-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm a little brassed off that no sooner do I buy a snazzy Forgeworld model than GW puts out a cheaper plastic version of it.
that's kept me from plunking down the cash for either a Trygon and/or Malanthrope... although i felt pretty safe with my Hierophant purchase.
;-)

so, if they ARE plasticing (yes, i verbbed "plastic") the Trygon and Malanthrope, does GW count that as our Apocalypse release?
...not fair!

nidz
09-01-2009, 03:51 PM
most likely yes it would count as an apoc release./

hurley895
09-01-2009, 03:59 PM
I wonder if they will bring back unit mutations like in the old dex. Kinda like a vet sgt.

Bloosquig
09-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Hopefully they will make Biovores a valuable unit. I always liked the whole spore mine idea and it'd be nice to see it fleshed out with new rules.

Course I also really liked the old "Jones is acting strangely..." table. :D

shags_j
09-01-2009, 04:06 PM
So long as they don't take away my all stealer army i'll be happy.

ersatzgnomes
09-01-2009, 04:11 PM
gogo having another competitive army to break up the marine monotony!

ggg
09-01-2009, 04:17 PM
I agree with Shags J, particularly now I have the fantastic new space hulk stealers and broodlord to field.

I am glad that the new models have not departed from the classic stealer look. I am interested to see what they do with the wider Tyranid look in the new Codex. I understand that there is resentment that nids are often called bugs or insects and that there was a concerted move towards a Dinosaur look. I would prefer a more retro move towards a more alien, oozing, gribbly look like tyranids had when they first appeared- more HR Giger than Godzilla. I believe that the genestealer is at the heart of the tyranid image and the new range should follow their lead.

ggg
09-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Course I also really liked the old "Jones is acting strangely..." table. :D

I had forgotton about that! The original Tyranid codex really brought home the feeling of an all encompassing Tyranid invasion. vehicles were damaged, troops attacked their own units, ammo ran out - even before the game began. These tables would be perfect for Planet Strike and indeed are better than the weak offering that Tyranids received from the supplement that covers their definitive action - overwhelming invasion from space! Right, I'm off to dig out my old codex copy from the loft.

snikrot
09-01-2009, 04:27 PM
i want i plastic hive tyrant soo bad
:eek:

TheKingElessar
09-01-2009, 04:35 PM

Ah...:(

So long as they don't take away my all stealer army i'll be happy.

Hmmm.

shadowvast
09-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Didnt they say on Warseer that they were considering moving Genestealers to eleite unless you run a character?

mysterex
09-02-2009, 03:46 AM
I normally play with MEQ armies and was thinking I'd like to have another go at a horde but had been put off by all the modelling and painting individualisation required.

Some of that painting goes away with 'nids as it's possible to get a nice result with a fairly simple paint scheme thanks to inking (yay for no clothes or armour).

Now that 'nids are on the horizon I'll stop looking at orks for the mean time.

Emperorsmercy
09-02-2009, 03:48 AM
I would love packs of 8 Gaunts, or at least the option to make 16 of one set of gaunts.

Anggul
09-02-2009, 04:17 AM

Trygons are honestly not all that hard to kill. Lascannons do the job just like with any MC.

I can't wait, I love my tyranids ^_^

Anggul
09-02-2009, 04:30 AM
I don't mind the current nid codex, it still holds up quite well against the new codexes. The main things I wish for are:

Make tyranid warrior wings less expensive, for wings, you can take another warrior, and with the wings comes the compulsory 5+ armour save, which means a single combat squad can walk up and rapid-fire them down.

Raveners should get their own equivalent of heroic intervention, or something like it, as right now you have two choices: Deep strike and get shot up, or start on the field, run forwards, and get shot up. Or even just give them a 4+ save, or the ability to take ex. carapace. Basically Raveners are one of my favourite models in the whole game, and I want to be able to field them. (:

Deathspitters AP 4, they're meant to be incredibly corrosive. Or possibly some kind of special rule which slowly reduces the model's armour save?

thingol
09-02-2009, 05:12 AM
I'm hoping they bring the Xenomorphs back...it was nice to make the entire force themed by them.

MetalStorm4786
09-02-2009, 06:59 AM
Some of that painting goes away with 'nids as it's possible to get a nice result with a fairly simple paint scheme thanks to inking (yay for no clothes or armour)

My brother plays Nids and all he does for his models is paint the skin Bleached Bone, the Carapace Hawk Turqouise, and then a few detail spots. Then he dips them in stain and lets them dry. The result gives you a really good looking table top quality and takes very little time.

He actually found a tan/khaki colored spray similiar to Bleached Bone for only a few dollars and bases them with that instead of hand painting the skin. The stain also acts as a varnish and gives them a nice glossy, slimy look.

All in all I'm looking forward to the new Nid codex even though I don't play nids. It will be a nice change.

ebolazaire
09-02-2009, 07:36 AM
I don't mind the current nid codex, it still holds up quite well against the new codexes. The main things I wish for are:

Make tyranid warrior wings less expensive, for wings, you can take another warrior, and with the wings comes the compulsory 5+ armour save, which means a single combat squad can walk up and rapid-fire them down.

Raveners should get their own equivalent of heroic intervention, or something like it, as right now you have two choices: Deep strike and get shot up, or start on the field, run forwards, and get shot up. Or even just give them a 4+ save, or the ability to take ex. carapace. Basically Raveners are one of my favourite models in the whole game, and I want to be able to field them. (:

Deathspitters AP 4, they're meant to be incredibly corrosive. Or possibly some kind of special rule which slowly reduces the model's armour save?

Agreed. The nid dex is definitely one of the books fomr 4th that is still very playable in 5th.
Some things need to be tweaked, like KP for spore mines and things like that.
Top of my wishlist ould be simply adding Fleet to the Broodlord.

There's also talk of changing fexes to squads of 1-3.

wiz
09-02-2009, 08:53 AM
I really hope they will make a box of plastic gargoyles ...

I love the unit, but the ugly & expensive models hold me back :(

better biovores would also be welcome

the_puritan
09-02-2009, 03:04 PM
I really hope they will make a box of plastic gargoyles ...

I love the unit, but the ugly & expensive models hold me back :(
i stole some ideas from *cough*other*cough* forums and converted a brood from the Gaunts box and a couple of old blister pack plastic peices.

it would be nice to not have to do that, but i really don't want to get the "mixed breeds" look.

jpwyrm
09-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Has there been any pictures of upcoming new nids? Or is are those still held up in the Warp?

Prometheus
09-02-2009, 03:52 PM
I also have heard alot aboput the plastic Gargoyles. Orginally I heard they where suppose to be released with Planetstrike, but probably got shoved back by GW due to time issues.

I really hope the Malanthrope enters the codex. I have been thinking about buying a FW one for a while now, It woiuld be interesting to see what GW does with it as it is effectively a mix between a Hive Tyrant and a Zoanthrope.

I would also really like to see evey page of the new codex look like the Carnifex page in the current codex. By this I mean alot of biomorphs for each unit. It would really give the Tyranids the flavor of being bio-diverse and constantly evoling.

Besides all that I'm just happy the Nids are getting some attention, even though I must say Necrons and Dark Eldar (especially Dark Eldar) need it more.

Deej
09-03-2009, 02:05 AM
I agree with Shags J, particularly now I have the fantastic new space hulk stealers and broodlord to field.

I am glad that the new models have not departed from the classic stealer look. I am interested to see what they do with the wider Tyranid look in the new Codex. I understand that there is resentment that nids are often called bugs or insects and that there was a concerted move towards a Dinosaur look. I would prefer a more retro move towards a more alien, oozing, gribbly look like tyranids had when they first appeared- more HR Giger than Godzilla. I believe that the genestealer is at the heart of the tyranid image and the new range should follow their lead.

I really, really don't want the whole race to get a revamp again. The last set was finally unified under common design rules (5 armour plates on the head, everyone has 6 limbs, etcetera) and I've already got 3 completely different eras of 'Nid Warriors and Carnifexes.

TheBitzBarn
09-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Well this is a Absolute now as they have pulled all the codex and Battlforces form the Ordering world and Retailers are SOL till the new Release
Notice of this would have been nice

Oh Well

M'yen'shi
09-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Hopefully we'll get some new information on the 27th at the UK games day.

Drew da Destroya
09-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Hopefully we'll get some new information on the 27th at the UK games day.

I wouldn't hold my breath. It's more likely that we'll see some more Space Wolf info, really. Considering how tight-lipped the past couple Games Day's have been, anyway.

Linkdead
09-03-2009, 06:17 PM
I really, really don't want the whole race to get a revamp again. The last set was finally unified under common design rules (5 armour plates on the head, everyone has 6 limbs, etcetera) and I've already got 3 completely different eras of 'Nid Warriors and Carnifexes.

I can't see another revamp, they would have to recast a lot of plastic including the cash cow Carnifex kit. I think most people want to see a scaled down Gaunt but I doubt that happens.

Andrew283
09-06-2009, 06:10 AM
I wold hate to see my nids look changed. I love how they look at the momment and if GW changed that I would utter many Blasphemies

Crystalmonkey
09-06-2009, 06:24 AM
I wold hate to see my nids look changed. I love how they look at the momment and if GW changed that I would utter many Blasphemies

I'd be surprised if all or even most of the models changed.

oldone
09-06-2009, 01:57 PM
don't suppose that any one has heared any facts or is it too early
any way at my closet GW in hull i was playing a game of apoc when one of my team goes up to the manager and says that his tryant counts as winged cos his broke at the weekend and he didn't want to stick it toghter cos he thought that they might reslese a plastic wing tryant and all the manger said was to wait a few months
so make of this but to me sounds like a new trytant is possible:D

Farmer
09-06-2009, 02:17 PM
[FONT="Georgia"

Besides all that I'm just happy the Nids are getting some attention, even though I must say Necrons and Dark Eldar (especially Dark Eldar) need it more.[/FONT]

Let GW do there job and neglect even more armies that need the update more.

Emperorsmercy
09-07-2009, 12:02 PM
It would be nice for people to stop ranting about GW once in a while, and even though it would be nice to get a Dark Eldar and Necron Codex out, there are many more Tyranid players, and more money is to be made.

EEG
09-07-2009, 12:34 PM
plastic wings for warriors would be nice.

also, it isn't really necessary, but they ought to remake the zoanthrope model so that it's easier to assemble (really awkward to balance)

Prometheus
09-08-2009, 01:12 AM
It would be nice for people to stop ranting about GW once in a while, and even though it would be nice to get a Dark Eldar and Necron Codex out, there are many more Tyranid players, and more money is to be made.

I agree about people always ranting about GW...

...I disagree about the fact that GW makes more money on the Nids so they should make them first. If GW actually made the other books they would make money on those races becuase people would want to buy them. Theres also the point that if GW only cared about which armies are popular and only re-did thier codex "frequently" (like once an edition) every codex that came out for the next 3 years would be Space Marines. I hate to say it but the Space Marine codex/armies/models/etc.. make up over 70% of GW sales. On average 2/3 of all gamers play Space Marines. I am happy they throw us Xenos a bone once and a while but GW is a company and needs to make money, I understand that , but as thier client I often have my own opinons of how they should go about running the company.

Deej
09-08-2009, 02:09 AM
plastic wings for warriors would be nice.

also, it isn't really necessary, but they ought to remake the zoanthrope model so that it's easier to assemble (really awkward to balance)

Metal offcuts underneath the base?

EEG
09-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Metal offcuts underneath the base?

yeah, even with that tab, it was still hard to balance! ended up having to reinforce the base with some greenstuff. but who knows. it could have been that the super glue i was using wasn't strong enough or something. :confused:

DarkLink
09-09-2009, 05:00 PM
I will second (or third:confused:) the comments above about not ranting about GW too much. What most people don't realize is how few people are actually involved in creating all their rules. They have a very small group of people creating rules for three main games, any number of side games, designing all their mini's, and all the other things that go with running the business. A lot of people go off about how lazy GW is, and how they're not doing their job, but really, they don't have any basis to complaign about anything (other, perhaps, than complaining that GW should hire more people so they can get more work done. But that is business decision that would probably cost GW more than it benifited them, so you can't really complain about that either). In the end, GW creates the product they want to create, and we don't really have a right to DEMAND that they must do better. If you don't like the product they put out, don't buy it. If you don't like how slow rules production is, go to some other game. GW makes the product that makes them money, and whining about it won't change that fact.

Shadowseer
09-10-2009, 12:35 AM
lictor actually needs an armour save

sodcactus
09-10-2009, 04:53 AM

If IG can (with the right IC) why can't Nids have 2d6 and choose the highest? Would be quite nice.

sodcactus
09-10-2009, 04:56 AM
Or like being Beasts...:rolleyes:

Well, if they're beast, with the current ruleset you will beat 'Nids 100 % of the time by just placing some ruins and then put your unit on second floor. Beasts can't assault then...

sodcactus
09-10-2009, 05:06 AM
Fixing the "Fearless"-rule and the extra wounds it creates when in CC would go long way to make a viable horde-army again. Right now there is no reason to charge with Gaunts cause they will be beaten in CC and most likely half the brood will be wiped. With only two viable troop-choices (Hormagaunts are overpriced to their performance) 'Nid are better of hiding in cover and shooting than getting up, close and personal.... unless you run stealers of course which makes holding objectives tricky (too costly and brittle to be able to hold objectives)

sodcactus
09-10-2009, 05:15 AM
Theres also the point that if GW only cared about which armies are popular and only re-did thier codex "frequently" (like once an edition) every codex that came out for the next 3 years would be Space Marines. I hate to say it but the Space Marine codex/armies/models/etc.. make up over 70% of GW sales. On average 2/3 of all gamers play Space Marines.

And that's what they do! SM has been redone for every edition and usually among the first. In 5th they where the first codex after release of the new rulebook. In 4th Ed it was SM and Nids and so on. SM ALWAYS get updated first. Now they will also release Wolfes and apparently some rumours that BA and BT are in the pipe.

TheKingElessar
09-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Fixing the "Fearless"-rule and the extra wounds it creates when in CC would go long way to make a viable horde-army again. Right now there is no reason to charge with Gaunts cause they will be beaten in CC and most likely half the brood will be wiped. With only two viable troop-choices (Hormagaunts are overpriced to their performance) 'Nid are better of hiding in cover and shooting than getting up, close and personal.... unless you run stealers of course which makes holding objectives tricky (too costly and brittle to be able to hold objectives)

The mechanic is fine, the problem is in the details. Such as model cost. 3 points/Grot = 4 points/Gaunt??

128th_king
11-01-2009, 03:32 AM
rumour I heard from a GW staffer is that for every hive tyrant you take you will be able to take a unit of warriors as a troops choice and that depending upon what you kit them out with you can use them as fast attack (although we can already do that) and heavy support

twistinthunder
11-01-2009, 12:50 PM
gw staffer = lies/ false beliefs never trust your lgs staff on rumours they are 99.999999999999999999% wrong.

also theres already a thread for tyranids why you guys started a new one i don't know and fyi if it hasn't already been mentioned the malanthrope isnt in the new codex.

new box sets are:

trygon
venomthrope
pyrovore
gargoyles
raveners
hive guard.

trygon,gargoyles,raveners = plastic kits.

pyrovore,venomthrope,hive guard(not be confused with tyrant guard)=metal blisters.

twistinthunder
11-01-2009, 12:53 PM

malanthrope = mc

and trygons are the same size as drop pods so...

Madjob
11-01-2009, 01:15 PM
also theres already a thread for tyranids why you guys started a new one i don't know

This thread existed before the other one, just so you know. Check the dates of the original posts in each.

The Custodian
11-01-2009, 05:50 PM
... Why has this resurfaced? Go back to the other thread! (Unless you guys want me to update this one with all current rumours)

Bigred
11-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Please use the other thread here: http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=2215

I'm closing this one out to prevent further necromancy.