PDA

View Full Version : Gaming groups northwest of the city?

Fowlplaychiken
08-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Any 40k gaming groups in the vicinity of Schwenksville/Collegeville (halfway between Pottstown and King of Prussia near royersford 422)?

Franklin Mills closes at the end of next month and I need a decent gaming group which is geographically more convenient. Thanks!

Nick

BilboBaggins
08-20-2009, 09:53 AM
I personally would like to find some fantasy in NE Philly without having to travel to NJ.

oni
08-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Any 40k gaming groups in the vicinity of Schwenksville/Collegeville (halfway between Pottstown and King of Prussia near royersford 422)?

Franklin Mills closes at the end of next month and I need a decent gaming group which is geographically more convenient. Thanks!

Nick

Showcase Comics
874 W Lancaster Ave
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010-3222

(610) 527-6236

oni
08-20-2009, 02:40 PM
I personally would like to find some fantasy in NE Philly without having to travel to NJ.

Cyborg One
44 Rear East State St.
Doylestown, PA 18901

(215) 348-1451

cyborg1.com

oni
08-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Another location for Showcase Comics. This store is great!

Showcase Comics
1067 W Baltimore Pike # 185
Media, PA 19063-5142
(610) 891-9229

Fowlplaychiken
08-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Bryn Mawr and Media are both pretty far. Im hoping to find a gaming group (more so than a store even) within 30 min or so of me. Maybe theres one around King of Prussia? Or Reading?

Thanks tho Oni

oni
08-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Bryn Mawr and Media are both pretty far. Im hoping to find a gaming group (more so than a store even) within 30 min or so of me. Maybe theres one around King of Prussia? Or Reading?

Thanks tho Oni

We live in a rather large metropolis where multiple cities have grown on top of one another. To think that you won't need to travel a little bit is foolish. If you're looking for a club or group and can't find one than I suggest starting one of your own.

BilboBaggins
08-21-2009, 08:35 PM
In a city of over a million and metropolitan area spead over 50 mile diameter you would think there would be more store catering to the wargaming community.

GW is supposedly opening 4 stores in the region to replace Franklin Mills, the only one that I heard was definite was in Bear, Delaware. West Chester is supposedly off the table. The benefit of the Franklin Mills Philadelphia store was the ease Public Transportation to it, many people took the bus to the store (not just me). You would think they would try and find a location to benefit the people that patroned that store, they are not leaving because of lack of customers.

Fowlplaychiken
08-22-2009, 08:54 AM
We live in a rather large metropolis where multiple cities have grown on top of one another. To think that you won't need to travel a little bit is foolish. If you're looking for a club or group and can't find one than I suggest starting one of your own.

I do not mind traveling an hour to play. I do so every wednesday at present, traveling to Franklin Mills. The issue is that the car I use is not mine, but rather my parents, and they are getting irked at the wear and tear and milage I am putting on their vehicle weekly. I will have to cut it down to 1-2 trips per month unless I find a closer location within, say, 40 minutes. West Chester would have been perfect but as stated above, that option is off the table and the new possible option is actually 10-15min north of franklin mills, and so 10-15 minutes farther for me. I can do it once or twice a month perhaps, but not as often as I would like. This is why I am seeking a wargaming club within easy distance for me, even an informal one.

oni
08-24-2009, 02:24 PM
I do not mind traveling an hour to play. I do so every wednesday at present, traveling to Franklin Mills. The issue is that the car I use is not mine, but rather my parents, and they are getting irked at the wear and tear and milage I am putting on their vehicle weekly. I will have to cut it down to 1-2 trips per month unless I find a closer location within, say, 40 minutes. West Chester would have been perfect but as stated above, that option is off the table and the new possible option is actually 10-15min north of franklin mills, and so 10-15 minutes farther for me. I can do it once or twice a month perhaps, but not as often as I would like. This is why I am seeking a wargaming club within easy distance for me, even an informal one.

I think I may be missing something here. Bryn Marr is about 20 miles from Collegeville and Media just slightly more than 30 miles. Franklin Mills is nearly 50 miles away from Collegeville.

oni
08-24-2009, 02:25 PM
In a city of over a million and metropolitan area spead over 50 mile diameter you would think there would be more store catering to the wargaming community.

GW is supposedly opening 4 stores in the region to replace Franklin Mills, the only one that I heard was definite was in Bear, Delaware. West Chester is supposedly off the table. The benefit of the Franklin Mills Philadelphia store was the ease Public Transportation to it, many people took the bus to the store (not just me). You would think they would try and find a location to benefit the people that patroned that store, they are not leaving because of lack of customers.

So there's not going to be any GW in PA now?

oni
08-24-2009, 02:51 PM
These are locations that I've not been to, but you could check out.

Alternate Universe
1530 Dekalb Pike
Blue Bell, PA 19422

The Complete Strategist
500 West Germantown Pike
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462

Hobbytown USA
1502 West Chester Pike
West Chester, PA 19382

TDS Comics & Games
14 South Church Street
West Chester, PA 19382

Brave New World
212 North Easton Road
Willow Grove, PA 19090

BilboBaggins
08-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Is the Hobbytown USA West Chester game tables still in the skate park down the road from their location?

I personally take Public Transit to GW Franklin Mills so I would like a place I can get to that way.

Oni, you are in Bethlehem? Where do you play up there? My mother(in-law) lives up that way and sometimes we go up to visit.

Fowlplaychiken
08-24-2009, 04:07 PM
The Bryn Mawr store is around 48 minutes. Not too bad and closer than Philly, but I need a place no more than 30 or so to make the parents (who own the car) happy about the mileage x_x

As for these stores:

These are locations that I've not been to, but you could check out.

Alternate Universe
1530 Dekalb Pike
Blue Bell, PA 19422

This store is terrible. Worst tournament I have gone to and no dedicated group on normal days to play against.

The Complete Strategist
500 West Germantown Pike
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462

This used to be my store about 4 years ago, but they dont really do 40k gaming there anymore; its mostly just rpg

Hobbytown USA
1502 West Chester Pike
West Chester, PA 19382

Omg theres a hobbytown USA in West Chester!? I think their 40k day is on Saturday's (I work weekends) but maybe I can get a day off one week to check it out.

TDS Comics & Games
14 South Church Street
West Chester, PA 19382

Never heard of it but if they meet on a weekday for 40k may be an option

Brave New World
212 North Easton Road
Willow Grove, PA 19090

Also never heard of it but again, if they meet on a weekday for 40k may be an option

Kozemp
08-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Brave New Worlds is a great store but I don't know how much 40K they do anymore. They used to have a lot of product but since they moved it seems to be only boxed units now, no more blisters or supplies. There was a weekly 40K game meeting there I BELIEVE on Sundays, but I haven't shopped regularly at that store in a couple years so I can't be sure if it still goes.

Also the address listed here for them is wrong (hence why cut-pasting from the GW website is really not helpful). The new one is:

433 West Moreland Road
Willow Grove, PA 19090
(215) 657-8838

The new location is about 1.5 blocks from the old store. Much bigger and nicer. I would just call them up and ask what the situation is, the people who run the store are very nice and will help you out.

Also it is Septa accessible from the NE though necessarily not as much so as Franklin Mills. You just need to get yourself to 611 so you can get on the 55 - the 77, which stops on Cottman Ave. will do that, and I think other routes will also. If you prefer the train (and don't mind routing through Center City) the R2 Willow Grove station is walkable to the store, perhaps .75 miles away.

Though I have never been there I have heard nothing but great things about the gaming scene at the Showcase location in Media. Their website is:

http://mysite.verizon.net/mnjclark/showcasecomics/index.html

It is also worth nothing that Franklin Mills is in no way 50 miles from Collegeville. You couldn't make the trip that long if you tried. I imagine fowl has stuck with the GW store there because the trip between Collegeville and FM is the easiest of any discussed so far as it is essentially all highway driving. Media and Willow Grove aren't TOO bad on that score, though. Your main trouble with getting to Showcase is going to be KoP traffic, which is always bad no matter what time/day it is. Brave New Worlds would be an easier trip; the store is about 5 minutes from the exit on the turnpike.

Hope this helped. If you've got any other questions don't hesitate to ask, I am a total nerd for local geography.

Fowlplaychiken
08-25-2009, 01:53 PM
276 to 476 to roosevelt to 63' easy peasy trip. getting to bryn mawr means 422 to 76 (economic recovery highway work on 422 west and east), 76 to bryn mawr (major traffic between 422 and 76 and more construction on 76). Its a nightmare at the moment. I would like to try out some of these listed stores, none the less, but the primary issue at hand is I work weekends and would need a group that meets on wednesdays or thursdays (like the GW store). I also need a place that isnt ungodly far for the purposes of appeasing the car's owners. New GW store is about 15min north of current one when it opens, so thats no good. Bryn mawr and Media stores are a bit closer (and I can take 476 to the bryn mawr store if neccessary), but I imagine the parents (whose car it is) will still take issue with the distance if I go every week. Even if they do have gaming groups meeting on a weekday.

x_x I may be screwed tbh:-p

Kozemp
08-25-2009, 09:11 PM
276 to 476 to roosevelt to 63' easy peasy trip. getting to bryn mawr means 422 to 76 (economic recovery highway work on 422 west and east), 76 to bryn mawr (major traffic between 422 and 76 and more construction on 76). Its a nightmare at the moment. I would like to try out some of these listed stores, none the less, but the primary issue at hand is I work weekends and would need a group that meets on wednesdays or thursdays (like the GW store). I also need a place that isnt ungodly far for the purposes of appeasing the car's owners. New GW store is about 15min north of current one when it opens, so thats no good. Bryn mawr and Media stores are a bit closer (and I can take 476 to the bryn mawr store if neccessary), but I imagine the parents (whose car it is) will still take issue with the distance if I go every week. Even if they do have gaming groups meeting on a weekday.

x_x I may be screwed tbh:-p

You're not taking the Blue Route From Collegeville to Franklin Mills, are you?

Fowlplaychiken
08-27-2009, 09:56 AM
yea, I take 476 to the turnpike (276), and get off at exit 351. Then take roosevelt to 63/woodhaven and get off at franklin mills. Ive done 422-->76-->95 but it took 2 hours instead of one due to construction. Know another route?