blueshift
08-20-2009, 10:01 AM
This is approximate:

2 multimelta/ccw/heavy flamer dreads
1 t.l. lascannon/missile launcher dread
2 assault cannon/ccw/heavy flamer dreads

master of the forge w/ conversion beamer

vulkan hestan

2 tactical squads in rhinos (missile/flamer)

6 th/ss terminators

i'm just worried since i have no drop pods, i'll get screwed on the deployment type where you start with up to 1 hq and 2 troops, then everything else starts in reserve.

i really want to bring out 5 dreads for fun. what changes can i make in the list besides the dreads?

ligolski
08-20-2009, 10:22 AM
sounds like fun to me, but I would say you really need pods to make that even scarier. Also it would be very difficult to seize objectives with only 2-4 capturing units. I would drop the master of the forge and get pods in there, maybe take out the termies for another tactical squad, not sure how the points are on this

btw i'm a noob still so take what i said too srslt now :P

blueshift
08-20-2009, 11:25 AM
i appreciate the advice..

i was considering another tac squad instead of the termies... but i didnt think this would have the punch needed to "shoo" away powerfist/powerklaw units running up on the dreads (obviously a big part of this list is keeping the dreads alive as long as possible to get all the twin-linked goodness out of them)

keithsilva
08-20-2009, 11:35 AM
you are really lacking firepower, if you faced a swarm army you are screwed, and to be honest, I would take out the troops first, since you only have two, so you cant capture any objectives. I mean if you face somwone with antitank, your dreads are done for, I would say take out some dreads, I only use one, with an assault cannon. You will be out number for sure, you need to think out what you want to do, because it will take you some time to get to your problem, if you face a fast army, like eldar. Marines can field a balanced army of both anti-tank and troop. If you want i can share my 1750 marine list

wittdooley
08-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Thats a lot of dreads....too many in my opinion.

I like the first two. Keep them because you'll get your rerolls.
In the Salllies list I like to run, I mount my Termies WITH VUlkan in a LRReedemer. That allows them to be mobile.

If you don't want to do that, I'd say maybe dropping a dread or two for some MM devastator squads. Stick them in some cover by your objective and with your fortified defenses from the MotF, buff their cover save to 3+, making them a ***** of a dug in tick to kill in order to claim an objective.

I think 4 of your dreads are fine... I'd just get rid of the Las/ML dread. He doesn't get any bonuses from your HQ, and though I understand his purpose, you SHOULD be able to get your MM dreads close enough to handle some armour. If not, youv'e got your dev squad waiting at your objective to fry anything that gets too close.

My copper nickle.

blueshift
08-20-2009, 01:15 PM
yes keith please share your list!

so i guess 5 dreads is a bad idea? you know 4 of those dreads have twin-linked heavy flamers. thats pretty rough on swarm armies, yes?

anti-tank: 2 twin-linked multi-meltas, a twin linked lascannon, 3 missile launchers, combi-meltas on the sergeants, 6 thunder hammer termies.. is that not enough these days?

keithsilva
08-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Here is is, i dont remember points wist, but it is under 1750 or at 1750
HQ
Calgar

Elite
Venerable Dread w/ powerfist/stormbolter and assault cannon

Troop
10 Tactical squad w/ heavy bolter/plasma gun/sergeant w/ pistol/chain sword
10 Tactical sqaud w/ missle lancher/plasma gun/sergeant w/ pistol/chain sword
10 Tactical squad w/ heavy bolter/flamer/sergeant w/ pistol/power weapon w/ razor back w/ heavy bolter/storm bolter

Fast
8 assault squad w/ plasma pistol/ serpgeant w/ thunder hammer/storm shield
Land speeder w/assault cannon/heavy bolter

Heavy
Predator w/ twin link lascannon and sponer lascannons
10 Devastater squad w/ 2 plasma cannon, missle lancher, lascannon/ sergeant w/ pistol/chain sword

The squad w/ heavy bolter/ flamer split up to 2 man squad one with heavy bolter other with flamer and power weapon attache to calgar and jump in the razor back. Both predator targets tanks, while the devastater squad depending on what army targets tanks or elites or anything else that will hurt in the lon run. My assault squad moves forward to the closet target and locks them up, mostly i set them up to ie up shooty squads or heavy close combat hitters, dreads, wraithlords etc. The speeder targets troops and any tanks/skimmers that i can easy pop. Tac. will go towards objectives or sit back and shoot the crap out of anything that moves.

With swams yeah dreads will work but they will get tied up for a long time, like bugs or orcs. Your anti tank, meltas are good but 24" range, unless you drop pod them in they will be target quick. I mean it can go either way.

blueshift
08-20-2009, 02:02 PM
"Predator w/ twin link lascannon and sponer lascannons"

your opinion is officially invalid if you take that unit lol j/k

wittdooley
08-20-2009, 02:15 PM
yes keith please share your list!

so i guess 5 dreads is a bad idea? you know 4 of those dreads have twin-linked heavy flamers. thats pretty rough on swarm armies, yes?

anti-tank: 2 twin-linked multi-meltas, a twin linked lascannon, 3 missile launchers, combi-meltas on the sergeants, 6 thunder hammer termies.. is that not enough these days?

No, no, it isn't that. It's just you have to remember with our walkers one unlucky shot can make them effectively terrain. I just prefer to go with a few more units, and thats where the devastator squad comes in. If you run a dev squad in fortified terrain, you're getting a 3+ cover save. Run your 10 man squad, and those meltas effectively have 2.5 (6 guys have to die before you HAVE to lose a MM) wounds at that 3+ cover save.

I also prefer having Vulkan embedded in a mobile squad of termies. I know there are plenty of folks that say you should just leave Vulkan be and get your bonuses, but the dude can be a tank in CC. Sure, an unlucky inv. roll against a powerfist can wipe him out in one shot...but you get a 3+ inv save. I'll take my chances usually.

If you're looking for troop sinks or swarm sinks, your termies and 2-3 dreds will be MORE than enough. If you're playing a swarm that you can get into CC, there isn't going to be much in the swarms that can kill your Termies or Dreads in CC. That leaves your with other units to capture objs. and screen other units.

Again, I think that list would be fun to play, but I think it could be tweaked to fit a Vulkan list better. Also, I'll note that I like playing my Sallies really fluffy, so I don't use bikes or speeders with that list at all; it's pretty much firey weapons and hammers.

keithsilva
08-20-2009, 02:20 PM
lol hey it works wonders for me its destoryed its share of LR, falcons, etc.:D

Brother Hespithe
08-20-2009, 02:30 PM
I just don't see a Vulkan list (which I believe to be infantry based) mixes well with a list designed around 5 Dreads. There really is very little synergy in the list. There's not enough infantry to adequately cover the Dreads, and the Dreads are not optimized to take care of themselves in an evenly matched fight. They'll go down too soon, IMHO.

I like the idea of a Dread-Bash list. I just don't think this is it.

A list mixing a Whirlwind and a good bit of infantry-based heavy weaponry would suit better, I think. Any threat to the Dreads would need to be eliminated pronto in order for a Dread-Bash list to work.

Just my thoughts, mate.

Chumbalaya
08-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Vulkan works best with an army loaded up on meltas, flamers, and thunder hammers. So mech with Assault Termies.

A Dreadbash can be fun, but Vulkan doesn't really work with them. Just Pod them all in for lulz.

blueshift
08-21-2009, 08:27 AM
No, no, it isn't that. It's just you have to remember with our walkers one unlucky shot can make them effectively terrain. I just prefer to go with a few more units, and thats where the devastator squad comes in. If you run a dev squad in fortified terrain, you're getting a 3+ cover save. Run your 10 man squad, and those meltas effectively have 2.5 (6 guys have to die before you HAVE to lose a MM) wounds at that 3+ cover save.

I also prefer having Vulkan embedded in a mobile squad of termies. I know there are plenty of folks that say you should just leave Vulkan be and get your bonuses, but the dude can be a tank in CC. Sure, an unlucky inv. roll against a powerfist can wipe him out in one shot...but you get a 3+ inv save. I'll take my chances usually.

If you're looking for troop sinks or swarm sinks, your termies and 2-3 dreds will be MORE than enough. If you're playing a swarm that you can get into CC, there isn't going to be much in the swarms that can kill your Termies or Dreads in CC. That leaves your with other units to capture objs. and screen other units.

Again, I think that list would be fun to play, but I think it could be tweaked to fit a Vulkan list better. Also, I'll note that I like playing my Sallies really fluffy, so I don't use bikes or speeders with that list at all; it's pretty much firey weapons and hammers.

devastators won't be starting on the board in 1/3 of deployments (i forget the name, but you can only start with up to 1 HQ and 2 Troop choices on the board at the beginning)... but then again you run that risk of the 3+ inv for vulkan's mantle against powerfists, so it doesn't surprise me :D

as a matter of fact, vulkan suffered a grievous wound in my last game against a powerklaw-wielding warboss... it was the only wound he suffered the whole game! that was a good game though... was experimenting with non-jump pack vanguard (i had a bunch of bp/ccw veterans from 3rd/4th edition codexes left over) with vulkan attached, and they ended up being the catalyst that destroyed around 90 orks in 2 turns. that was a wierd game though... a demolisher round failed to paste that warboss, however a sternguard heavy flamer got him (too many fleshy bitz).

before getting moved to battle reports, i would like to say i've modified my list to take less dreads and more termies as many have suggested. thanks for all the help fellas!