PDA

View Full Version : Chimera - best weapon loadout

miker
08-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Is the Chimera best with turret HB and body HF?

I know the ML is stronger but its AP is much worse then the HB.

Chumbalaya
08-20-2009, 02:45 PM
AP doesn't matter with cover, S6 actually has a chance to harm vehicles and wounds MEQ on a 2+.

gwensdad
08-20-2009, 04:09 PM
When you ask for weapon load do you include the Imperial Armor options or just straight Codex: IG options?
IA has the Autocannon and TL Heavy Bolter options, which I wish were in IG.

Yhcrana
08-20-2009, 06:02 PM
I change the weapon loadouts depending on what squad is inside it.

If there is a Platoon command squad with 4 flamers inside i use a multilaser and heavy flamer.

For other infantry squads I generally have a autocannon/grenade launcher or lascannon/plasmagun, the chimera for these squads has multilaser, heavybolter and heavy stubber.

BuFFo
08-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Is the Chimera best with turret HB and body HF?

Neither is best. Both are different.

I know the ML is stronger but its AP is much worse then the HB.

Now you are getting the hang of it.

TheKingElessar
08-20-2009, 07:59 PM
I was gutted Chimeras didn't get turret Autocannons. I'd have bought 6, right then. As it is, ML/HF is the best configuration, it's most versatile.

Chumbalaya
08-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Man, I would kill for autocannon turrets on Chimeras.

lordlupus
08-21-2009, 01:00 AM
When you ask for weapon load do you include the Imperial Armor options or just straight Codex: IG options?
IA has the Autocannon and TL Heavy Bolter options, which I wish were in IG.

Sorry, newbie here. If IA has the Autocannon option, why can't we include the option for our chimeras?

Is it because FW options are not recognised in tournments or is it because we should not include include options from IA in general?

Thanks.

Legionary
08-21-2009, 01:46 AM
If you're facing a lot of enemies with an armour save of 4+ that would be denied by the heavy bolter then it's obviously superior to the multilaser. However, if you face a lot of armies with a 3+ or better save or a 4+ invulnerable save then the multilaser is better since it'll wound the big gribblies much more easily.

The best use of a multilaser is really against bikes and AV10 vehicle armour, where three S6 shots are likely to achieve much more than three S5 ones.

Edit: re Imperial Armour, you require your opponent's permission to field units and options from that book.

RocketRollRebel
08-21-2009, 02:26 AM
Man, I would kill for autocannon turrets on Chimeras.

A Hurrumph for the man!

Multi-laser
Heavy Flamer

FTW!

you may go the whole game without using the heavy flamer but it is most likely for 2 good reasons.

1. You were moving the whole time
2. The enemy is dead in a crater made my your battle cannons and never got close enough. Grats!:p

Dawson_IVC
08-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Multi-Laser, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber. 9 36" shots. Add in a lasguns or whatever is inside and you have one hell of a nice mobile spray. This is gonna take down hordes and force ALOT of saves on anything with a 3+. And you dont have to get close enough to use that heavy flamer.

Aldramelech
08-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Autocannon, Hvy Bolter, Hvy Stubber. And if anyone has a problem with my quite expensive, legal, official GW product autocannon turret they can kiss my arse! lol

TheKingElessar
08-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Multi-Laser, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber. 9 36" shots. Add in a lasguns or whatever is inside and you have one hell of a nice mobile spray. This is gonna take down hordes and force ALOT of saves on anything with a 3+. And you dont have to get close enough to use that heavy flamer.

Pity you can't take objectives from 36" away.

Autocannon, Hvy Bolter, Hvy Stubber. And if anyone has a problem with my quite expensive, legal, official GW product autocannon turret they can kiss my arse! lol

Except...it's Forge World, not GW. lol indeed, because people don't have to let you play it.

Aldramelech
08-22-2009, 11:31 AM
And who owns Forgeworld? mmmmmm.

Xas
08-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Except...it's Forge World, not GW. lol indeed, because people don't have to let you play it.

I see it the other way round: if you are bad enough a person to not let me use my AC turret on my chim which definatelly isnt in any way overpowered (only gaining +1S for -1 shot compared to ML as AT and only gaining -2AP for -1 shot as AP) you are prolly not the person I'd want to play with :).

It's ok to say no! to people who want to field a named greater deamon (the 666-777-888 ones) in a normal 2k game but its not cool to say no! to a lil autocannon :(

so on topic: in a fun-game the AC, heavy flamer and stubber is a nice vehicle with 2 S7 and 3 S4 mobile shots as well as the flamer for those situations where it counts.

if you want to play it a bit harder save the overpriced stubber and only go with AC and flamer. if you want to stick to codex-only its deffo the multilaser for me.

reason for the heavy flamer is that I use my chims mostly as transports so their shooting is secondary and their main purpose is to move. that way they will over short or long be in range to flame something. additionally when moving they wouldn't be able to fire the hull-weapon anyways.

the mulstilaser is better for my playstyle because I usually have enough battlecanon blasts to target anything which is dumb enough to strand in the open in the shooting phase so the AP 4 doesnt matter much.

Chumbalaya
08-22-2009, 10:23 PM
I see it the other way round: if you are bad enough a person to not let me use my AC turret on my chim which definatelly isnt in any way overpowered (only gaining +1S for -1 shot compared to ML as AT and only gaining -2AP for -1 shot as AP) you are prolly not the person I'd want to play with :).

It's ok to say no! to people who want to field a named greater deamon (the 666-777-888 ones) in a normal 2k game but its not cool to say no! to a lil autocannon :(

I want to give my Orks meltaguns and put autocannons on all my vehicles. If you say no you are a mean person.

See, I can browbeat people into letting me cheat by taking the moral high ground too.

Aldramelech
08-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Do GW or any company they own make the said models? Not really the same thing then is it?

miker
08-23-2009, 10:59 AM
AHEM!!

Meanwhile, back at my question, it seems the most accepted Chimera CODEX loadout is Multi-laser and Heavy bolter?

chambers
08-23-2009, 12:01 PM
I used to go for the static command vehicle approach, that is to say HB, ML, and HS with a command squad inside w/ a AC. These bunkers would park next to my line troops and issue orders while putting fire down range.

After Playing a recent game against both an inducted guard WH list and vet guard list I have changed my tune. Both of my opponents ran chimeras with ML and HF. The flexibility that this load out offered up is impressive. While I am still not completely sold on going all mounted vet, I have already switched over two of my chimeras over to this configuration.

terminus
08-23-2009, 03:15 PM
When considering hull weapons for the chimera, think about how many turns the transport and the unit inside will stay stationary, within range of enemy infantry, and not shaken/stunned. Then multiply that number by 3 BS3 heavy bolter shots and ask yourself if that's worth it. Firing a heavy flamer one time is about equivalent to firing a BS3 heavy bolter four times.

TheKingElessar
08-23-2009, 09:25 PM
AHEM!!

Meanwhile, back at my question, it seems the most accepted Chimera CODEX loadout is Multi-laser and Heavy bolter?

Uh...no.

ML/HF.

Don't take a Stubber either, it's a Sink.

What Terminus said above is a good principle to go with. Basically though, you can rest assured that if Chumby and I both tell you something, then that's really the best plan. ;)

terminus
08-23-2009, 09:33 PM
The only Chimera-chasis tanks I give hull heavy bolters to are Hydras (they go well with autocannons), and the PBS's transport.

SlavesToDarkness
09-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Chimeras can only fire one weapon if they move. Granted, you won't move them every turn (but why wouldn't you?!) but for the majority of turns, this will be true. Therefore, I suggest Multi-Laser turret and hull Heavy Flamer. Trust me, for an all-comers type army, you will be grateful for the Heavy Flamer when you are swarmed by guants or orks.

My opinion: IG should be half flamers for just about everything. Helps make up for pathetic BS and assault ability.

Jive Tyrant
09-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Does the turret ML and hull HF come in the Chimera box?

RowRow
09-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Yup, it does

Coyote
09-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Does the turret ML and hull HF come in the Chimera box?

Yes they do.

My 2 Cents: If I've got a tank busting squad inside (lots of meltas) then I go with 2 HF's. This gives me an option to deal with any squads if the vehicle I'm busting up is a transport.

bryce963
09-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Vet's get Ml and flamer, and command squads get Ml HB, as those are basically bunkers to surround with troops.

Desaster
09-01-2009, 06:19 PM
I prefer hbolter/hbolter. I don't know why, but I like to shoot people from a distance ;)

Of course it can give you a nice warm feeling ( ;) ) to have a Zippo-PCS in a hflamer/hflamer Chimera, but I actually like it more not to have any enemies in flamer range when my troops disembark.

In the end it comes down to tactics and play style. All weapon load-outs have their benefits.

TheKingElessar
09-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Well, turret HF and Hull HB is the best of neither world.

Kungfuhustler
09-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Well, turret HF and Hull HB is the best of neither world.

That's exactly how I roll my chimeras. I equip them that way mainly due to my personal formations, tactics and dirty tricks. YMMV.

Bitey
09-02-2009, 03:33 AM

Remember its not actually that mobile though- if you move you won't be able to shoot both Multi Laser and Heavy Bolter. With regards to this- how does shooting out of the top work (don't have rulebook to hand) is it treated like weaponry on a tank- so its strength determines whether it can be fired on the move or not or is it based on the weapons characteristic i.e assault/ heavy etc.... I presume you can't shoot and autocannon out of a moving chimera but you could shoot 4 grenade launchers?

mercer
09-02-2009, 06:59 AM
I've been going with the default load out of a ML and HB, its good for fire power and can pop light transports. Once those troops are out the transports the Chimera can dish out a lot of fire power and then boosted by the squad inside, sometimes can wipe out or cause serious damage on a unit.

I haven't tried heavy flamers, I doubt I will. I've heard people say use them against assault units, but the template is 9" and movement for the assaulting unit is 6" + 6" assault, so will be in before that flamer burns. Any clever player would make sure they wouldn't be in the flamer template range - I'm sure it probably has its uses and I have to either try it to see it or haven't understood the tactic yet.

I am however going to a try a all heavy flamer Chimera, mainly because my command squad has several flamers. Going to be one massive template of death. Thats really my only reason for my all heavy flamer Chimera.

TheKingElessar
09-02-2009, 07:14 AM
It's based on characteristic, a Heavy Weapon can only be fired from a stationary vehicle.

As for Flamer range, it's 15". You can move too. ;)

mercer
09-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Heavy weapons and rapid fire weapons can be fired from the vehicle as the normal penalities do not apply ;) Though msot won't fire the heavy weapon as generally these tend to be above S4 :) - p58 on that one King near the top mate 8) - unless your on about units inside a transport?

TheKingElessar
09-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Yeah I was talking about transported units. lol

mercer
09-02-2009, 07:36 AM
confused.com I thought you more than likely would be ;) - and yes, good job my squad has 3 flamers then!

Droofus
09-02-2009, 08:02 AM
I could see replacing the hull weapon with a flamer (in fact that is precisely what I'm doing with my PCS chimera), but the multilaser has been so dang useful in a variety of roles that I'd be hesitant to replace the turret with a flamer.

I fully realize being turret-mounted is a big bonus for a weapon like a HF, but to lose the versatility of the multilaser would hurt for my army.

GMort.
09-02-2009, 08:12 AM
I keep the Multi-Laser and put a Heavy Flamer on the front. Other than the Heavy Flamer i don't upgrade them at all.
Whatever the transport can't do, i equip the guys inside to do instead.

Glocknal
09-02-2009, 08:31 AM
The Hvy Flamer gives you versitality and heavy punch at close range, and the ML give you long range anti transport. My opinion is that your chimera in most case shoudl catually be moving your troops to their objectives, which kills the need for the Hull heavy bolter. Now I use the hull bolter on my PBS's chimera because it is often stationary in cover, because to the great range Weaken Resolve gets you.

Aceblitzkrieg
09-02-2009, 09:27 AM
I just cant get behind a Heavy Flamer on my chimeras, it would be good for some armies but not for other armies. Like it would murder tau. But if you play against Orks your getting assaulted next turn.

Ace

George Labour
09-02-2009, 09:39 AM
In my most recent games in an escalation league I have had to face Tau multiple times. All those times I took a mechanized list consisting of four infantry squads w/plasma/grenades, two PCs with meltas, vendetta, some scout sentinels, and some AC packing armoured snetinels. This is because the escalation rules won't let me acess russes and I don't have a model for hydras etc. All the chimeras have ML/HB with no upgrades just to keep points down. I also recently added in three heaby weapon teams of HB/AC/Lascannon respectively

So long as the tau player doesn't bring Broadises (Which they can now do as the points and units have escalated this week), I've found that even in annihilation I slaughter the Tau. Just sitting back with my chimeras and shooting more or less ends the game in three turns. I even managed to beat the best player in the store in my first shooting phase because he made the mistake of starting with his crisis teams on the board.

If I focus all my firepower on the crisis suits the moment they show up they die very quickly. Even when one player deep struck them to wipe out a squad of bait infantry I managed to get my melta packing command squad over there and insta kill his only means of rapildy annihilating tanks. Then the MLs, and auto cannons combined with the lascannons massacred the transports, followed by massacring the foot sloggers.

Now this will change when I face hammerheads/ broadsides/predators etc. But even then the sheer amount of 36 inch range shots means I should be able to force so many hits on a broadside unit they'll die from simple weight of fire. For the vehicles I'll have so many STR 6-7 long range shots I cna easily manuever for flank shots, then turn my two guns per chimera on infantry again. Combined with the three lascannon HWTs, and vendettas I only have to fear outflanking, Deep strikers, and infiltrators with good close combat, or melta weapons. Which usually dieafter killing one vehicle as they lack support from the rest of the army.

Milchmann
09-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Seriously, why would you want to field anything else than a heavy flamer? I have them on every single of my battle tanks, for those pesky infiltrators/outflankers/deepstrikers/etc that want to smack the tank in CC. And on transports? Even better! You are moving with it anyways, so you can bring that template into a nice position for flaming. That 3 shots you lose from the HB are more than compensated for with the flamer template. Oh, burny-fiery-goodness.

WereWolf_nr
09-02-2009, 10:58 AM
A Hurrumph for the man!

Multi-laser
Heavy Flamer

FTW!

you may go the whole game without using the heavy flamer but it is most likely for 2 good reasons.

1. You were moving the whole time
2. The enemy is dead in a crater made my your battle cannons and never got close enough. Grats!:p

I have not had the opportunity to use the Heavy Flamer on mine in several games (since I built the darned thing). However, it also has the effect of making my opponent run off so it all works out anyway.

TheKingElessar
09-02-2009, 05:35 PM
In my most recent games in an escalation league I have had to face Tau multiple times. All those times I took a mechanized list consisting of four infantry squads w/plasma/grenades, two PCs with meltas, vendetta, some scout sentinels, and some AC packing armoured snetinels. This is because the escalation rules won't let me acess russes and I don't have a model for hydras etc. All the chimeras have ML/HB with no upgrades just to keep points down. I also recently added in three heaby weapon teams of HB/AC/Lascannon respectively

So long as the tau player doesn't bring Broadises (Which they can now do as the points and units have escalated this week), I've found that even in annihilation I slaughter the Tau. Just sitting back with my chimeras and shooting more or less ends the game in three turns. I even managed to beat the best player in the store in my first shooting phase because he made the mistake of starting with his crisis teams on the board.

If I focus all my firepower on the crisis suits the moment they show up they die very quickly. Even when one player deep struck them to wipe out a squad of bait infantry I managed to get my melta packing command squad over there and insta kill his only means of rapildy annihilating tanks. Then the MLs, and auto cannons combined with the lascannons massacred the transports, followed by massacring the foot sloggers.

Now this will change when I face hammerheads/ broadsides/predators etc. But even then the sheer amount of 36 inch range shots means I should be able to force so many hits on a broadside unit they'll die from simple weight of fire. For the vehicles I'll have so many STR 6-7 long range shots I cna easily manuever for flank shots, then turn my two guns per chimera on infantry again. Combined with the three lascannon HWTs, and vendettas I only have to fear outflanking, Deep strikers, and infiltrators with good close combat, or melta weapons. Which usually dieafter killing one vehicle as they lack support from the rest of the army.

Your example is exactly why I have stated, many times, that IG are, IMO, the best army in the game, uncontested, until roughly 1750 points. Anything below that, only Guard get enough toys.

Warmaster
09-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Another one for Multi-laser, Heavy Flamer. It just makes the tank so versatile it's not funny. It can take out light vehicles, take pot shots at far away targets and fry anything that gets close.

Desaster
09-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Are you really going to use the hflamer that often, and are you sure that a hbolter wouldn't do more damage? I've got only very limited experience with hflamers on not-outflanking tanks, but I would expect them to be fired only once or twice per game, while a hbolter can fire in almost every shooting phase.

TheKingElessar
09-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Not if you're moving, Desaster...and, to take objectives, you need to.

terricon4
09-02-2009, 07:04 PM
I would run a purely bolter, multi-laser, but I just like sitting back and shooting. The flamer combo can be very dangerous as I found when playing orks. If your enemy must charge then just the fear of the template will seem like impassable terrain in his mind, if he has low T and save units.

Jwolf
09-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Turret Multilaser and Hull Heavy Flamer are the only real choice for aggressive Chimeras. If you plan to sit a Chimera as a Fire Support Asset, then Hull Heavy Bolter is okay, too. Pintle mounts are points better spent elsewhere, but they look cool, so you can take one or two of them without hamstringing yourself on the cost. I take the occasional Hunter Killer, because sooner or later I'll kill a Space Marine Chapter Master with it and laugh myself into a stupor. If you don't aspire to doing the same, don't take Hunter Killer Missiles. :)

Bill.IVC
09-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I like the Heavy Stubbers and their ability to be a stationary fire base. I try to keep the enemy at range and when you can hit your enemy with 9 @ 36" shots, 14 @ 24" and 18 @ 12" (I put one Melta in there). I have been thinking about adding in a few more heavy weapons into the chimeras to be able to fire at range, perhaps some ACs to be able to pop transports a bit easier at greater range.

I don't want an enemy to be within Flamer range so I avoid taking it. I try to send whithering firepower across the battle field to keep the enemy from getting there. That being said though, if you are planning on being mobile and not a stationary platform, take the Flamer.

Either loadout, the Stubbers are a good choice. You can always move and fire them and add 3 extra long range shots.

TheKingElessar
09-02-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't really rate the Stubber because :
a) It's BS3, so rarely adds significant numbers of hits,
b) It's S4, so won't hurt heavy infantry (I'm thinking PMs or Terminators) enough to make any difference more often than not.

As JWolf said, a H-K is funnier, and that alone is a reason to think about it.

I never use them, but they're hilarious if successful.

Datadep5
09-02-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm partial to the Multi-laser/Heavy Bolter myself. It's hard to ignore a S6 weapon.