View Full Version : Necron 2000pts Deceiver list

Arhurt
08-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Deceiver
20 Necron Warriors (2 squads of 10)
13 Immortals (2 squads of 6 and 7)
10 Destroyers (2 squads of 5)
2 Monoliths

So I'm fielding 6 "easy" Killpoints with the Deceiver and Liths making it 9 KP total. I like to keep the Immortals separated because if one is tied up and swept, I can fire with the second in the following turn. Having no power weapons means I'll likely lose combat often.

Since the majority of necrons in the list are T5, and can avoind Close Combat somewhat well, the absence of a Rez orb is not all that bad. The Immortals can fire while retreating, and the Deceiver is always there to countercharge. When the warriors do come in the Monos can block out LoS from anything that could kill them from a distance.

With 2 Liths if my Immortals stand ground I can portal them and then drop a pie-plate on the bunched up enemy models left.

But I have also reconsidered the list into this:

Deceiver
Necron Lord (Res Orb)
20 Necron Warriors (10-10)
10 Immortals (10)
9 Destroyers (3-3-3)
2 Monoliths

My Phase out is lower, with the enemy having to kill only 30 models. But the Immortal unit is a lot stronger with the help from the lord and the presence of a Rez Orb. His AP3 shots are always helpful.

What do you guys think?

Chumbalaya
08-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Monos are crap. Too expensive, not Necrons, not enough damage output, too easily ignored for Phase Out.

You don't have anything to reach out and touch somebody except in the 2nd list. Destroyers and Heavy Ds are your answer to tanks and bad guys trying to munch your Warriors.

Combine the 2 lists without Monos and you should do better. Max Destroyers to get the dakka out with Immortals and secondary firepower and the Deceiver to protect the Warriors. A Tomb Spyder would be handy to let your units operate further apart (plus free "teleportation" to another unit if they all get knocked down).

Arhurt
08-20-2009, 10:50 PM
I see what you mean. My reason for bringing two monoliths is twofold. For one I can block LoS to my warriors and grant them cover from incoming fire. Also there is the trick of portaling a unit that has been assaulting and dropping the pie-plate on the bunched enemies left there (hence the small units).

I still like to field a single monolith though. If the enemy does fire at them, they are wasting shots that would otherwise be targetted at my Necrons. If they ignore it I use it to the fullest rerolling my WBB rolls, you can't argue that that is not a usefull feature, you can easily pay the cost of the Mono with the extra WBBs after 6 rounds of battle.

Here is a tweaked list:

Deceiver
Lord (RO, GoF, Disrupt. Field)
14 Immortals (single squad)
11 Destroyers (5-6)
Monolith

My best attempt at merging both lists. This way I have a sturdy hold the line infantry unit (Immortals) that are capable of holding a charge thanks to the Gaze of Flame. The Disruption field on the lord is a bonus against a charging dread I guess.

If I where to drop the Monolith though, I'd consider this list:

Deceiver
Lord (RO, GoF)
16 Immortals (16)
12 Destroyers (6-6)
2 Heavy Destroyers (1-1)

What do you guys think?

Chumbalaya
08-21-2009, 06:19 AM
You'd think the Mono could do all that cool stuff, but in practice not so much. You can't hide from mobile armies, it will be ignored to get after your Necrons, and Necrons pretty much auto-lose and get run down in combat anyway so you won't use teleporting much (you can sorta teleport with Spyders anyway, lose 1 unit and WBB to join another unit anywhere on the board provided the Spyder is within 12" of you)

I would look into putting the Lord on a Destroyer Body and adding a warscythe (about as good as a combat unit gets for Necrons) and pick up that Spyder. Destroyers are more important for an effective shooting phase than Immortals, so don't be afraid to skimp on them (2 units of 6 would be fine).

Also, don't forget to always keep your Warriors in reserve. They serve no purpose beyond surviving.

Arhurt
08-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks guys, your help is much appreciated!

What do you guys think of this tweaked list. I played a game against a BT player and I had trouble dealing with the transports and vehicles. His Terminator where eaten by the Deceiver, and most tactical squads couldn't stand the Destroyers hail of Gauss, but the Vehicles took some shooting to neutralize.

So I decided to add some Heavy Destroyers in the mix.

Here you have it, List #6 - The Deceiver's Can openers:

Deceiver
Lord (RO)
5 immortals
10 Destroyers (5-5)
5 Heavy Destroyers (2-3)
Monolith
- - - -
PO: 10 or less, 31 dead necrons

One think I like about this list is that there are so many threats that the enmy will have a though decision to make. If he ignores the C'tan he's gonna have his way around the field. If he ignores the H.Destroyers they are going to blow up his vehicles. All the while the regular destroyers do theyr beautiful work backed up by the immortals.

I know that it's a liability to only have 2 scoring units, but I hope I can mass fire the enemy out of their objectives, as well as contesting them.

If you think I'm better off with more regular Destroyers and immortals, I could go for #7 The Deceiver's Skimmering Support

Deceiver
Lord (RO)
8 immortals
12 Destroyers (4-4-4)
2 Heavy Destroyers (1-1)
Monolith
- - - -
PO: 11 or less, 32 dead necrons

All comments are very welcome, thanks for reading!

Norbu the Destroyer
08-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Since you have so few Immortals, drop em. Use the 140 to get a large group of scarbs (8-10) and whatever you have left for wargear for the lord. That is what I would do and I have a lot of success in crons. Although I usually run "drop crons" and I have yet to lose with that list. But put Scarabs in your list and that (in my opinion) is the optimal list(roughly) to run crons with and I run them a lot. Keep in mind I'm very full of myself. If I go to ard boyz final I will be running Necrons to see if they can be competetive with the better players in the country(not necessarily the best; but for the most part some of the better).

Dwarflord17404
08-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Your list has only 20 necron warriors and 40 Necrons. This important fro 2reasons:

1) you are playing fotr a draw in 2/3 of the missions

2) you will be phased out by turn 3 at the latest because all the oppenents fire will target your necrons especially the fragile deystoyers

That being said, kudos you for playing an army that struggles to win in 5th. I think you need more necrons.

I think you be better off running like 40 warriors, a bucket of scarab swarms with disruption fields ,a necron lord with veil and res orb , a deystroyer lord with warscthe and lighting field, monlith,and a tomb spiders. basically you win by given them more targets then they can handle use the tomb spiders and deystroyer lord to assault and crack the raider spam you see and use your lith to get your squads out of trouble as well as provide the ranged anti-vechile.

Chumbalaya
08-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Monos are terribad, and more Warriors don't do anything. Hold them in reserve, stay out of sight, and use your aggressive elements to keep the enemy off your Warriors.

Arhurt
08-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Dwarflord, I have to agree to an extent with Chumbalaya here. While I disagree that Mono's are useless, I think that they are support, rather than agressive vehicles. That being said, the warriors are so fragile that I won't risk them at any costs and must play the game with the rest of the army.

I must capitalize on my offensive side, that's what The deceiver is for and all those destroyers and H. Destroyers. They are not fragile by any means. In my hands they are practically immune to assalt, you just have to keep them out of harms way. And they are very, very dakka.

As for objectives grabbing, you need only secure a single objective more mthan your opponent. With the deceiver and destroyers you can pretty much contest any objective by the end of the game. And there is a very good chance of simply wiping off the objective that infantry unit with the Destroyers fire.

I played the second list from the first post against a Black Templar player last saturday, and it performed incredibly well. The power from Destroyers is indeed not something to be overlooked, and the Deceiver could pretty much dominate one table qarter by himself. I only had problems with the large amounts of vehicles that I couldn't kill. They where inoperational for most of the game, but in the end I had to keep shooting at them to keep them under check. That's why I decided to add the Heavy Destroyers.

As for Phase out, as I said, Destroyers and Immortals are pretty solid, the weak link are the warriors, but you can shoot what you can't reach, see or is yet out of the table ;)

Dwarflord17404
08-27-2009, 06:40 AM
I really like the look and back story of Necrons but people have abanded them in my area. To use a poker term you are short stacked playing necrons. You either have to ubber agresive or lose. its just atough prdictiment. Another question is with all the mech and fast moving vechiles how are you able to hide your warriors? The reason I ask is because I would ignore everything in your list not a necron and kill anything that was.

Arhurt
08-27-2009, 01:14 PM
I really like the look and back story of Necrons but people have abanded them in my area. To use a poker term you are short stacked playing necrons. You either have to ubber agresive or lose. its just atough prdictiment. Another question is with all the mech and fast moving vechiles how are you able to hide your warriors? The reason I ask is because I would ignore everything in your list not a necron and kill anything that was.

Yes I agree that Necrons are short stacked right now, but it's my army and I'm not ready to abandon my C'tan masters just yet :D

Hold them in reserve, and keep out of reach mostly. You'd be surprized at how hard it is to take down Necron warriors by simply shooting at them. And you can't ignore the rest of the army, that's where the real threat hides. Destroyers are extremely efficient when used well. Phase Out is not that easy to accomplish as the internet makes it sound like. A good player will make it happen, but it's not auto-win button to just aim everything at the warriors and ignore the rest, you just can't do that.

Arhurt
09-08-2009, 06:59 PM
After a couple games trying out Destroyers vs Immortals I decided to go for Immortals. Not only are they more resilient, but they pack more shots and boost Phase Out more than Deswtroyers.

Deceiver
Necron Lord (RO, GoF, Solar Pulse, Chronometron)
30 Warriors (10-10-10)
16 Immortals (8-8 )
Tomb Spyder
2 Monoliths
PO: 11 less, 36 to kill

The Tomb Spyder is good at getting entire squads up after being wiped, and they can charge those Drop Podding Dreads and try for lucky. The Solar Pulse on the lord is because I'm playing on a tourny with that "Dying of Light" scenario that can really cripple my shooting.

If I drop the spyder and Lord Tricks I can manage to:

Deceiver
Necron Lord (RO)
30 Warriors (10-10-10)
16 Immortals (8-8 )
6 Scarab Swarms (3-3) com Disruption Fields
2 Monoliths
PO: 11 less, 36 to kill

Use Scarabs to try for a lucky charge on Vehicles or hold charges. Problem is they are easy Killpoints, but I have turned a Land Raider into a useless husk with 3 of them before...

Or even...

Deceiver
Necron Lord (RO)
32 Warriors (12-10-10)
18 Immortals (9-9)
2 Monoliths
PO: 13 less, 38 to kill

Maximize Phase Out with 2 more Warriors and Immortals.

Lord Anubis
09-08-2009, 07:43 PM
People like to think of Necron warriors as fragile, but only because there are so many toughness 5 units in the Necron list. They are fragile in comparison. Your basic Necron warrior has, for all intents here, the same stat line as a space marine. And when was the last time someone worried about their fragile space marines... ;)

Arhurt, I'd break your warriors into two squads of fifteen rather than three of ten. Larger numbers makes it harder to break, harder to destroy. People have to ignore everything else and focus a massive amount of firepower to eliminate that squad, especially if you've got a Resurrection Orb there.

mercer
09-09-2009, 04:37 AM
I totally agree with Chumbalaya on the monoliths and I would drop them and replace them with heavy destroyers and possibly some tomb spyders for combat blockers.

You'd be increasing your phase out numbers and can boost other units.

Oh I would be inclinded to add another troop unit, most games are objectives and another unit wouldn't hurt IMO.