PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Night Goblin tournament List - Help Needed!!

Knight Goblin
10-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Hey,
I am rather new to both Orcs and Goblins (well.. Goblins) and Warhammer Fantasy and ive got my first ever tournament coming up rather soon. I have started an army list but i have no idea how to finish it. I have played a few games with this basic set up and have had quite alot of sucess against Dwarves and Wood Elves.

This is what ive got so far.

-Skarsnik
205pts

-Night Goblin Warboss
Great cave squig
Sneaky Skewerer
Lucky Dirk
Shield
Light Armour
131pts

-Goblin Warboss
Crown of Command
Light Armour
Shield
101pts

-Orc Shaman
Level Two
100pts

-Night Goblin Shaman
Level Two
85pts

-Night Goblin Big Boss
Battle Standard Bearer
Big Pointy Moon on a stick
Light Armour
Shield
Amulet of Protectyness
134pts

-Night Goblin Big Boss
Extra hand weapon
Light Armour
36pts

-Night Goblin Big Boss
Extra hand weapon
Light Armour
36pts

-40 Night Goblins
Full Command
Spears
Netters
215pts

-40 Night Goblins
Full Command
Spears
Netters
215pts

-20 Night Goblins
Full Command
Spears
Netters

-20 Night Goblins
Bows
Standard
68pts

-20 Night Goblins
Bows
Standard
68pts

-7 Night Goblin Squig Hoppers
105pts

-2 Trolls
80pts

-2 Trolls
80pts

1794pts

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance. :)

Folcard
10-03-2010, 03:10 AM
Personally ive never played OaGs but ive played against them and I would suggest that you think about having some cavalry in there as well if you can, so that you have something with a bit of speed to out flank slow moving units and to get at the opponents artillery.

Mazelf
10-03-2010, 10:37 PM
hey, why dont you think about making your night goblin units into hordes? also how come there arent any fanatics in your list? i would also look into some warmachines and fast cav as the previous poster said...

one last thing, (if youre going for a full goblin list) why the orc shaman?

Mazelf
10-04-2010, 11:36 AM
let me elaborate on my previous comment (I was on my ipad earlier and I hate typing on that thing):

- Fanatics for the goblin hordes/regular blocks:
Youre going to want some fanatics in there so you can "soften" up any units that charge your goblins, also fanatics are a HUGE deterrent to being charged, you know your opponent is going to be scared of them fo shure! d6 str 5 AP auto-hits per fanatic are nothing to scoff at!

- fast cav:
I usually take at least 2 units of 5 spider riders so I can try and take out some artillery, the poisoned attacks really help increase your chances of putting wounds on the war machines (which will usually only be wounded on sixes, so you get double the chances to inflict wounds, 6 while trying to hit and 6s while trying to wound) also the critters ignore terrain and are decently fast.

-Squig hoppers:
Altho squig hoppers are awesome models I really hate the lack of armor saves, I would think about maybe exchanging them for a rock lobba or doomdiver...

- Also why not equip your goblin warbosses with great axes for a lil extra whooomp! (str 6? yes please!)

Knight Goblin
10-04-2010, 08:59 PM
How many fanatics to you think i should put in my main combat units? I was thinking that i might put two into each of my units of archers just to be a nasty surprise for any cav trying to sweep through them to get to my other units (as i usually put my archers on my flanks).
I see what you mean about the spider riders, the poisoned attacks would really come in handy, i do have a few of the models lying around. But i dont think i could ever part with my squig hoppers. They do get a 6+ armour save for being mounted dont they?
What do you think is the best form of artillery for O&G?
I will defanatly give my warbosses great weapons, strength six dosent sound too bad! Am i right in thinking that if i still gave them shields with their great weapons they would still get the 1+ to their armour save?
(Thanks for the help btw)

Mazelf
10-05-2010, 11:03 AM
How many fanatics to you think i should put in my main combat units? I was thinking that i might put two into each of my units of archers just to be a nasty surprise for any cav trying to sweep through them to get to my other units (as i usually put my archers on my flanks).
I see what you mean about the spider riders, the poisoned attacks would really come in handy, i do have a few of the models lying around. But i dont think i could ever part with my squig hoppers. They do get a 6+ armour save for being mounted dont they?
What do you think is the best form of artillery for O&G?
I will defanatly give my warbosses great weapons, strength six dosent sound too bad! Am i right in thinking that if i still gave them shields with their great weapons they would still get the 1+ to their armour save?
(Thanks for the help btw)

hey no problem!

Well I personally walways take a full amount (3) of fanatics in my gobbo units, altho I usually run a horde with nets and a couple of bare bones 5x5 units, just for the fanatics.

Iunderstand hoppers have the 6 plus, but pretty much everything out there is over str 3, and you can only take 10! minis AREawesome tho...

also, GW dont allow for a shield as they are 2 handed :(

HawaiiMatt
10-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Drop the hoppers. Init 3 and T3... too easy to lose them all before you get to swing. The 3D6" charge isn't as much as an advantage as it used to be. Hoppers just aren't worth 15 points each anymore.

You do need some hitting power in your list, and what I recommend is...
Lots of Night Goblin Big Bosses.
A naked boss with a great weapons is something like 32 points.

Take those 40 man units, and throw in 2 or 3 big bosses. Go 5 wide and 8 deep. With T4 and the nets, the bosses will survive long enough to dish out some pain.

Fanatics are good, but they aren't what they used to be. 8th edition has a lot more terrain on the table (which kills fanatics), and with people generally running larger units, the kills the fanatics do isn't as big of a deal.
8th Edition is all about combat res, and taking away steadfast.

What's the plan for the trolls?
A unit of 2 won't win combat... two units of 2 will struggle to win combat. IMO, take at least 6 trolls, or leave them at home.

Finally, I'd swap the orc shaman and the crown of command warboss for a level 4 shaman. The +4 to dispel will really help you out. With the cost of night goblins, if you want to be stubborn, just field larger units.

On the topic of that, don't go 10 wide. The extra S3 attacks isn't worth it. You're better off going deep and being steadfast for much longer.

Keep the wizards, BSB and general safe early in the game, use the cheap heroes to do the killing, then mop up with skasnik.

-Matt