PDA

View Full Version : BL Sigvald book a rehash of Darkblade?

MightyOrang
10-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Read the precis of the book here:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/coming-soon/Sigvald.html

now tell me that's not all terribly familiar to books 1 & 2 of the Mallus Darkblade series.

Old_Paladin
10-03-2010, 07:41 AM
The problem is that there are only so many general outlines for Fantasy stories, so they will all start to seem similar on some level.

The "find a magical artifact (often cursed) to gain lots of power, but must deal with other forces trying to get it (and often traitors within your own group) ending with a major conflict," is in pretty much just every fantasy story ever told.
I mean, these are all just The Lord of the Rings, but from Boromir's point of view!

The Gotrek a Felix novels are really just one book told over and over again with a different enemy and usually only within two settings (the wilderness or near a bar); but they have enough internal differences that it doesn't feel like the same book repeated.

MightyOrang
10-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Excellent point -- i was reading the Wikipedia entry for Terry Brooks and the Shanara series -- and most of the critical reviews attacked it for being a Tolkien rehash ... apparently it took Frank Herbert's review to actually point out that the TELLING of the story matters a lot too.

urzoon
10-12-2010, 03:05 AM
i never really thoght about that but u r so right about grotex and felix, with the exception of the one in the chaos waste. speaking of g&f any ideas when the next onibus is going to come out

Old_Paladin
10-12-2010, 08:21 AM
speaking of g&f any ideas when the next onibus is going to come out

Well, they release them as a bound set of three; and remove those books from individual purchase.
We now have Elf, Shaman and Zombie as individuals.

I'd say shortly after book 13, maybe 14 comes out, 10-12 will be put together.
Maybe in a year, no more then two.