PDA

View Full Version : 2,500 Dark Eldar Power Trip

w7west
10-04-2010, 10:46 AM
1,000 pt dark eldar can be as scary as many 2k pt armies as far as killing potential. Here is a look at a 2,500 list that keeps up the killing scale.

Hq:

Vect - 277

Dracon (agonizer, shadowfield, drugs, pistol, trophy rack) 4 x incubi, 2 x warrior (squad all grenades) -302
-raider (horrorfex)

Elite:

7 x wyche (succubus, agonizer, 2x blaster, wyche weapons, grenades) - 196
-raider (horrorfex)

-raider (horrorfex)

-raider (horrorfex)

5 x warp beast + beastmaster - 75

Troop:

6 x raider (syrabite, agonizer, splinter cannon, blaster) - 141
-raider (horrorfex)

6 x raider (syrabite, agonizer, splinter cannon, blaster) - 141
-raider (horrorfex)

5 x raider (dark lance, blaster) - 110
-raider

-raider

-raider

Heavy:

Ravager (3x disintigrator) - 120

Ravager (3x disintigrator) - 120

Ravager (3x dark lance) - 105

Fast:

3 x reaver jetbike (2 x blaster) - 95

3 x reaver jetbike (2 x blaster) - 95

3 x hellion (blaster, succubus, terrorfex) - 95

This army is very fast, everything can turboboost and together launch very deadly assaults. Looks like 13 skimmer, 15 dark lances, 6 disintigrator, 16 blaster, 7 agonizers, and vect just doing his thing.

Mal
10-04-2010, 12:27 PM
The reason I don't use the horrorfex is that it replaces the dark lance when you fire it (you can't fire both), which makes it a lot less effective since pinning isn't all that easy with 5th ed codeci.

Also, no drugs on your wyches? thats a bit of a waste isn't it? And hellions? Really?

w7west
10-04-2010, 04:02 PM
The reason I don't use the horrorfex is that it replaces the dark lance when you fire it (you can't fire both), which makes it a lot less effective since pinning isn't all that easy with 5th ed codeci.

Also, no drugs on your wyches? thats a bit of a waste isn't it? And hellions? Really?

I am glad you brought that up! Fex's are a bargain for what they do - at 5 points each, your raiders serve as either anti tank or can be anti (non-fearless) infantry. Against our power armor friends, horrorfexes typically will get the pin 1/2 of the time. With 7 fex in this list you can render a large portion of your opponents countercharge / antitank harmless while you assault the flanks.

Wyches come standard with drugs (roll 1 d6 at beginning of game for each squad), and same with hellions / reaver jetbikes. (no archon would allow straight edge wyches into their army)

Hellions - well I must admit they are not a cost effective squad by any standards. 95 points gets you 3 models, 1 blaster, 1 fex, and 1 hellglave (>.<) The reason I like to run one tiny squad of these guys is for the deep strike. Generally speaking, with this many squads blitzing the enemy, your opponent will need to pay close attention to which squads need to go first (almost always this is the wyches for smart opponents). With the hellions deepstriking right behind some armor, or landing next to longfangs to pin them, your opponent will need to decide if it is worth it to point those bolters at the 3 man hellion squad or the 21 wyches sharpening their blades.

I guess what I am trying to say is that at 2500 pt the hellion is very low on opponents must kill list and at the same time gives you 12" move with a fex and a blaster, which is perfect utility to deepstrike in.

BuFFo
10-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Always get Horrorfexes. Always. Always.

Why?

Long Fangs. Devestators. Havocs. Broadsides. Should I keep going?

Anyone who uses Raiders in more than 20 games will tell you that infantry heavy support units are the bane of our existence, and we have a simple 5 point weapon that just about guarantees a permanent frown on your opponent's face.

Always.

Mal
10-05-2010, 03:09 AM
The problem with the fex is it just forces a pinning test... all well and good if your opponent is bunched up... but not something you can rely on... if you was able to use both (lets face it the fex should be classed as a defensive weapon), then i'd go nuts and have them on everything... I suppose it just depends on the metagame your area plays... mine plays, almost to a fault, mech heavy.

w7west
10-05-2010, 08:32 AM
The problem with the fex is it just forces a pinning test... all well and good if your opponent is bunched up... but not something you can rely on... if you was able to use both (lets face it the fex should be classed as a defensive weapon), then i'd go nuts and have them on everything... I suppose it just depends on the metagame your area plays... mine plays, almost to a fault, mech heavy.

Even without a bunched up squad it is pretty common to get at least two hits with the fex, meaning ld-2 pinning check. Being a 5 pt upgrade and all it is easy to spam it out to guarantee (as much as anything can be guaranteed in this game) to get some critical pins when you need them.

On another note, when playing an army like necrons or conscript ig, these 35 points of horrorfexes can shut down an entire army. Hell, the worst case scenario is you play daemons / cult chaos, in which case you are only out 35 pts.

Mal
10-05-2010, 09:20 AM
the modifier for teh fex only works with multipul fex's shot from teh same unit... so hitting the same unit with 2 different fex's means each uses its own - modifier... so there is no way to garuntee a pin unless your opponent is an idiot.

w7west
10-05-2010, 01:53 PM
the modifier for teh fex only works with multipul fex's shot from teh same unit... so hitting the same unit with 2 different fex's means each uses its own - modifier... so there is no way to garuntee a pin unless your opponent is an idiot.

What I meant (by saying as guaranteed as anything can be in this game) is that with 7 fexes, you can make that long fang squad take 7 pinning tests in one turn. That is pretty nasty even before you think about how many models are getting hit and what the -ld will be on each.

Mal
10-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Yeah I understand that... but i'd rather shoot that long fangs unit with 7 dark lances and watch them cry and die.

I'll admit fex's have their uses, but against MEQ they just don't cut it imho.

Perhaps its just a difference in playstyle between us...

w7west
10-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah I understand that... but i'd rather shoot that long fangs unit with 7 dark lances and watch them cry and die.

I'll admit fex's have their uses, but against MEQ they just don't cut it imho.

Perhaps its just a difference in playstyle between us...

This is true. I do the majority of my killing through sweeping advance, and rely on my shooting as a way of making my assaults work while keeping the opponents support under disintigrator and pinning fire.

It is entirely possible to win with dark eldar primarily through shooting, but it's just too clean compared to the mad slaughterhouse that is the dark eldar assault phase.

BuFFo
10-06-2010, 11:29 AM

No, it doesn't JUST force a pinning test, it forces a pinning test with a -4 Leadership on average. This is huge.

I don't mean to be cruel, but you seem to be just theory crafting. Either you have never used Horrorfexes, haven't used them enough, or just don't know how to position yourself to use them correctly.

I have been using DE pinning weapons for years, and like most things in 40k, DE use tactics other armies cannot rely on. Pinning works, and it only costs 5 points.

Stoping Long Fangs from firing the entire game is pretty powerful. I have, on many occasions, parked a raider or two near heavy support choices just to keep them pinned the entire game.

It works. it takes skill to do, but it works.

I have pinned nearly entire armies before. Seeing Blood Angels Assault Troops pinned for 3+ turns is pretty hilarious.

w7west
10-06-2010, 11:34 AM
No, it doesn't JUST force a pinning test, it forces a pinning test with a -4 Leadership on average. This is huge.

I don't mean to be cruel, but you seem to be just theory crafting. Either you have never used Horrorfexes, haven't used them enough, or just don't know how to position yourself to use them correctly.

I have been using DE pinning weapons for years, and like most things in 40k, DE use tactics other armies cannot rely on. Pinning works, and it only costs 5 points.

Stoping Long Fangs from firing the entire game is pretty powerful. I have, on many occasions, parked a raider or two near heavy support choices just to keep them pinned the entire game.

It works. it takes skill to do, but it works.

I have pinned nearly entire armies before. Seeing Blood Angels Assault Troops pinned for 3+ turns is pretty hilarious.

Right on Buffo, the fex is one of the best upgrades that points can buy for a dark eldar army. By firing one weapon you can essentially take an entire squad, regardless of any factors but leadership, out of the game. This 5 point weapon can outperform demolisher cannons when the goal is neutralizing threat.

Mal
10-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Actually its -3 on average... only -4 and above if your opponent is an idiot and runs squads bunched up... its only a small blast template

And this isn't theory crafting, im speaking from my own personal experience, im my metagroup pinning is a waste of time in 3/4 matches, there are simply too many ways to avoid being pinned.

As I said in my previous post, if your metagame allows for pinning to be effective then its worthwile taking the fex... but without additional information I only have my personal experiences to draw upon.