PDA

View Full Version : Want to create a Necron Character

BFTrick
10-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi there,

For the next apoc game my gaming group wants to add some sort of hero character. He has to be custom modeled with custom rules. My friends are using the Lords of Battle (http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2008/09/play-aid-lords-of-battle-v20.html) pdf (page 53) from Bell of lost souls as an example. They are basically upgrade characters for a vehicle; similar to Chronus from C:SM or the Imperial Guard upgrade tank guy.

Fluff

My thinking is that a Necron lord is lazy. He probably does all of the calculations and sends orders and just watches the battle flow in front of him. So I didn't want to to make him too killy. I wanted to give him some sort of tall structure from which to watch the battle unfold in front of him. The platform would be based on Monolith rules and it might have some sort of force field around it to protect the lord.

Rules

upgrade: The character is bought as an upgrade to a monolith or monolith variant (such as the doomsday monolith).
special rules:
- locus of regeneration: the vehicle counts as a resurrection orb
- Obey my commands: All necron warriors within 24" gain the stubborn USR
- hard to kill: If the vehicle is destroyed roll a die. on a 5 or 6 the lord is placed in the ruins of the vehicle unharmed. On a 1-4 the lord succumbs to the destruction. Place him on his side, he may make a WBB.
- diverted power matrix: the vehicle no longer has a portal or a particle whip. It replaces those with a 4+ invulnerable save.

My first impression is that he is a lot of points for a res orb and stubborn. Is there any way to give him teeth without giving him an enormous gun? Or should I keep him in the auxiliary role and give him some more rules?

By comparison the other upgrade characters will most likely go in a warhound or in a revenant titan and give it reroll hits or something like that. That is pretty darn useful so I want to be as useful.

Naming

I am also having problems naming him. How silly is that... here are some of my ideas
-prelate
-arbiter
-overlord
-Caliph
-Hadrat
-Aspet
-Haty-a
-Princeps

Master Bryss
10-09-2010, 03:49 AM
Considering Necrons don't have names, that problem is understandable. I like Ancient Lich.

As for teeth, I'd increase the range of the Orb to 12" and make him a HQ choice. Doesn't make sense for a Lord to be heavy.