PDA

View Full Version : Rune of Smiting Question

Commander Vimes
10-12-2010, 08:42 PM
How does the Rune of Smiting function for killing models and for Combat Resolution in the following situations.

Swinging against a unit of one wound models?
Do I roll the d6 for wounds caused and potentially kill more models in the unit than I inflicted hits? Do I roll the d6 and add the numbers to combat resolution as wounds inflicted but not as extra casualties? Or does the rune not help me at all in this situation?

Swinging against a unit of multi-wound models?
Do I roll d6s equal to my successful wounds, and inflict that many total wounds? Do I assign a hit to each model and roll each one separately, so some could be overkilled and some not finished off? How do I do wound allocation in this situation?

Attacking a model in a challenge?
Can I inflict 3 wounds, against say a one wound champion, then inflict 3d6 for the purposes of combat resolution?

Thanks for the help.

AbusePuppy
10-12-2010, 10:46 PM
1. In Fantasy, wounds are multiplied after being inflicted on a particular model. If you are only fighting one-wound models, multiplying them will not have any effect.

2. This part is a little more complicated- my understanding is that each (unsaved) wound would multiply up, but cannot "spill over" from one model to another. So, if you are fighting three-wound models and do Mutiple Wounds (d3), for each wound that goes through you will roll a d3; if you rolled, say, four wounds and got a 2, 3, 3, 2, you would kill three models (each of the 3s kills one, and the two 2s kill another, but the extra wound is wasted). However, I'm not 100% certain about this- it meshes with the way the rules function against one-wound models, but...

3. Against a champion your three wounds multiplied would result in 3d6 effective wounds, yes; remember, however, that there is a limit to the Overkill combat resolution bonus, and that aside from that you only count the wounds a model actually possesses when determining combat resolution.