PDA

View Full Version : 600 pt Escalation IG

Luke Licens
10-13-2010, 11:53 PM
There's a new store opening in my area, and part of the festivities is an Escalation league. I've decided to bust out the IG that I've been delaying putting together and get them on the table.

It starts out at 600 pts, bumping it up by 500 pts each week for 4 weeks. There are, however, a couple of list building caveats. No 'Named HQ or upgrade characters' and the HQ must be worth less than 150 pts, all built on the standard force org chart.

That in mind, this is what I've tossed together:

Company Command with Regimental Standard, Vox, Master of Ordinance, and Lascannon weapon team-120 pts

Infantry Platoon
Platoon Command with Vox and Lascannon weapon team-55 pts
Infantry Squad A with Vox, Commisar, and Autocannon weapon team-90 pts
Infantry Squad B with Vox and Autocannon weapon team-55 pts

Veteran Squad with Vox, Grenade Launchers x3, and shotguns-90 pts

Stormtrooper Squad with 2 Meltaguns-105 pts

Guardsman Marbo -the remaining points (the loophole, since he's neither an HQ nor an Upgrade, despite having a name)

Totals to an even 600.

My basic plan is to blob up Infantry A&B, and use the autocannons and the BS4 lascannons (and the MoO's blast) in the CCS and PCS to thin out enemy armor, while the veterens scoot around, hopefully in cover, taking potshots with their Grenade launchers, hopefully blasting something off an obejective somewhere. The Stormtroopers (with a re-reroll to DS scatter) and Marbo are going to pop up somewhere annoying and hopefully blow up something important before they bite it.

And yes, I intentionally didn't mech up. I don't particularly care for the Chimera models, or the mech playstyle. Foot may be a loosing proposition, but I'd rather hoof it and loose than win by pushing around ugly metal bawkses. That's not to say I'm not open to creative critiscism. I'll gladly listen to any advice anyone feels like giving.

Tynskel
10-14-2010, 07:13 AM
I hope that 150 points HQ limit is scaled for the 500 point increase. Because that screws Space Marine Command Squads and Bike Captains that have any wargear.

I have just never been a fan of people not allowing access to your FOC. If you want to take a Land Raider in 500 points, why not? As long as you do the minimums that everyone has to fulfill, you should be able to take whatever. I understand the non-named characters, that gets people to make themed forces.

A blood angels honor guard with 4 weapons (just any type) and jump packs is ~200+ points.

Old_Paladin
10-14-2010, 08:22 AM
First thing: if you're almost always going to blob the squads, drop that additional vox.

As for the rest: drop the Stormtroopers. Take melta vets instead. You can have a squad of 10 in Carapace, with 3 melta for only 25 points more then what your paying.

I'd drop the lascannons for missiles. Cannons are too costly to miss the few very important shots (and as Guard, you will). Any ultra-tough target needs to be hit with melta (russes, landraiders, battlewagons) or a top-tier blast weapon [large blast, AP:2] (termies, nob-bikers, plaugemarines)

I'd really double-check about Marbo. You might think its a legal loop-hole; but it'd suck to show up and them say "Oops, we forgot about him... we meant no named charaters." Unless they think he and half of the 'Nid special characters (doom, harpy, Paracite, etc.) are fine, but no other armies can have them at all.

If you free up some points, get either a Hydra Flak-tank or Griffon mortar; both are cheap and effective well beyond their cost.
If you don't like the Chimera kit; convert up a StuGIII kit [or M7 Priest; if you dislike german design or don't like assault gun looks] for the griffon.

Luke Licens
10-14-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't see a unit of melta vets fulfilling the same role as the storm troopers. Without fast transport of their own, they can't pop transports until they've already delivered their payload, and they can't get to the backfield to hit anything lurking there until turn four or five, when it's already done its damage. Granted, the stormtroopers might not deepstrike in til then either, but they have a chance. I can also potentially outflank or infiltrate with them, if it seems like a better oppurtunity.

Plan B would be to cut Marbo and the Troopers both, and add in heavy weapons teams with mortars and/or missile launchers. But that leaves me without any real mobile response.

Edit: I am going to confirm Marbo with the TO. I'm not looking to be a dick, just an excuse to field my current favorite conversion.

Old_Paladin
10-14-2010, 08:53 PM
I still think you're over-estimating the abilities of Stormtroopers.
The odds of getting that 'sweet spot' drop (between 3-7" from the target vehicle) in a timely manner aren't that great. Especially, as it's your primary heavy-tank buster.
If you are going to reserve them just, outflank; at least that way your expensive unit won't be forced to bunch up for a easy kill and won't kill itself with some poor scatter rolls.

Vets with melta have an 18" threat range for anti-transport (they don't need to be within melta range to do a good job against AV:10-11); but anti-transport should be the job of auto-cannons and missiles.

If you really want Stormies; at least wait until the next escalation point. With the points so small right now, you should really try to maximize the affectiveness of your core force.

Tynskel
10-15-2010, 05:26 AM
storm troopers can re-roll deep strike scatter, if I remember. That's pretty good

Luke Licens
10-19-2010, 01:36 PM
So, after reconsidering my strategy, I've dropped the pricy stuff in favor of more boots on the ground.

Drop everything but the Vox off the CCS, ditch the Stormtroopers and Marbo (the TO hasn't answered on his legality yet, better safe than sorry) give the PCS 3 grenade launchers, give the Vets meltas, and copy/paste the entire infantry platoon.

So, we've got 2 twenty man dual autocannon blobs held together by comissars, with a near naked officer to boss them around, while the two PCSs crawl around annoying things with small blasts or Str6 hits and bossing the vets around. Move Move Move!

Flammenwerfer13
10-19-2010, 08:22 PM
There's a new store opening in my area, and part of the festivities is an Escalation league. I've decided to bust out the IG that I've been delaying putting together and get them on the table.

It starts out at 600 pts, bumping it up by 500 pts each week for 4 weeks. There are, however, a couple of list building caveats. No 'Named HQ or upgrade characters' and the HQ must be worth less than 150 pts, all built on the standard force org chart.

That in mind, this is what I've tossed together:

Company Command with Regimental Standard, Vox, Master of Ordinance, and Lascannon weapon team-120 pts

Infantry Platoon
Platoon Command with Vox and Lascannon weapon team-55 pts
Infantry Squad A with Vox, Commisar, and Autocannon weapon team-90 pts
Infantry Squad B with Vox and Autocannon weapon team-55 pts

Veteran Squad with Vox, Grenade Launchers x3, and shotguns-90 pts

Stormtrooper Squad with 2 Meltaguns-105 pts

Guardsman Marbo -the remaining points (the loophole, since he's neither an HQ nor an Upgrade, despite having a name)

Totals to an even 600.

My basic plan is to blob up Infantry A&B, and use the autocannons and the BS4 lascannons (and the MoO's blast) in the CCS and PCS to thin out enemy armor, while the veterens scoot around, hopefully in cover, taking potshots with their Grenade launchers, hopefully blasting something off an obejective somewhere. The Stormtroopers (with a re-reroll to DS scatter) and Marbo are going to pop up somewhere annoying and hopefully blow up something important before they bite it.

And yes, I intentionally didn't mech up. I don't particularly care for the Chimera models, or the mech playstyle. Foot may be a loosing proposition, but I'd rather hoof it and loose than win by pushing around ugly metal bawkses. That's not to say I'm not open to creative critiscism. I'll gladly listen to any advice anyone feels like giving.

Here are the rules for the MoO

IF A HIT IS ROLLED, the template scatters 2D6" in the direction shown by the arrow on the 'Hit' symbol. IF AN ARROW IS ROLLED , the template scaters an ADDITIONAL D6" (for a total deviation of 3D6").....
In otherwords you will ALLOWS scatter the odds of getting a direct hit through Ballistic skill for 2D6" is 1/3 on a hit and 3D6" will have a 1/4.5 chance on a arrow. The MoO is to unpredictable and unreliable to use.

While I'm not even close to a fan of the vox casters if your going to blob squad the 2 infantry squads drop the vox caster in the second one.

Here is a better build:
CCS 120pts
- Regimental Standard w/Lasgun
- Vox Caster w/Lasgun
- Laascannon
- Astropath

Storm Troopers 105pts
- 2x Meltaguns

Sly Marbo 65pts

Infantry Platoon 210pts
- PCS with Vox caster w/ Laspistol, 3x Grenade launchers 50pts
- Infantry squad with Commissar and Autocannon 95pts
- Infantry squad with Vox caster w/ Lasgun and Autocannon 65

Veteran Squad w/ 3x Meltaguns and 7x shotguns 100pts

600pts

Astropath will let you bring in the ST's and Sly on a 3+ on turn two. You also be able to re-roll the outflank move for your Storm Troopers with the Astropath. Dropping the second voxcaster in the Combined Squads will free up 5 points for you. Remember that the Vet Sergeant can also get a shotgun.

If you wanted a better base of fire try this list:
CCS 120pts
- Regimental Standard w/Lasgun
- Vox Caster w/Lasgun
- Missile Launcher
- Astropath

Storm Troopers w/ Meltaguns 105pts
Storm Troopers w/ Meltaguns 105pts

Sly Marbo 65pts

Veteran Squad w/ 3x Grenade Launchers, Missile Launcher team w/Lasgun, 3x Lasguns, Vox Caster w/ Lasgun and a Vet Sergeant w/ a Shotgun 105 pts
Veteran Squad w/ 3x Grenade Launchers, Missile Launcher team w/Lasgun, 3x Lasguns, Vox Caster w/ Lasgun and a Vet Sergeant w/ a Shotgun 105 pts

600pts

Gives you a good base that enemy will have to try come to all the while you can deepstrike/outflank the ST's and have Sly pop up in the rear.

Don't forget you can also infiltrate, scout move, and outflank your ST's so they have more options then in just Deepstriking. Also if you elect to Outflank you get Move Through Cover rule also and can assault the turn they show up. Its a nastier move then just Deepstriking.