PDA

View Full Version : 2K Space wolf razorback spam

gannam
10-14-2010, 12:56 PM
This is my first wolf list and I need advice.

This list has some elements of razorback spam but I find that it has enough punch to not be completely dependent on it.

This list comes in at exactly 2000 points. The strategy is to sit back with 4 lascannons, and 10 missile launchers and pop tanks. To assist with this, each razorback has a hunter killer missile for 4 extra missile launcher shots on turn 1. Meanwhile you have the vindicator move up to use it as a screen for Canis and the TW calvary behind it. If the vindicator gets popped, you still have 5 wolves in front of the unit for screening and cover saves.

Meanwhile on turn 2 or later, you have an outflanking WG (saga of the hunter) to get int your enemies ranks and some scouts for additional anti mech capability.

Additionally, you are casting living lightning every turn from both Njal and the rune priest, and can use JOTW on whatever attempts to get into your long fangs.

HQ

Canis Wolfborn w 2 wolves - 205

Njal Storm Caller - 245

Rune Priest w terminator armor - 130
JOTWW
Living lightning
chooser of the slain

Wolf Guard Battle leader - 220
Runic armor
powerfist
stormshield
Thunderwolf mount
Saga of the hunter
2 wolves

Troops

Grey hunter x 5 - 160
flamer
razorback w/ hunter killer missle and TW LC

Grey hunter x 5 - 160
flamer
razorback w/ hunter killer missile and TW LC

Elite

Wolf Scouts pack w/ melta bombs x 5 - 100

Fast

Thunderwolf Calvary x 2 - 155
1 x CCW and SS
1 x Frost blade

Fenrisian wolf pack x 5 - 40

Heavy

Long fangs x 5 w/ missile launcher - 225
Razorback w/ TWLC and and hunter killer

Long fangs x 5 w/ missile launcher - 225
Razorback w/ TWLC and and hunter killer

Vindicator w/ dozer blade and extra armor - 135

lowdog
10-14-2010, 01:16 PM
I don't think you can put runic armor on a model with saga of the hunter, I think it says model with power armor only, but I don't have the codex in front of me.

Other than that I'm concerned that in an objective game all someone has to do is kill 10 grey hunters and you're playing for the draw.

gannam
10-14-2010, 01:48 PM
The saga mentions that only infantry can take it. The wolf guard battle leader is technically an infantry unit, so I am not sure about this.

I think what you are thinking of is that you can't take a thunderwolf mount in terminator armor.

I think you are right about the lack of infantry though. I could very easily ditch Njal and get another 5 man squad of grey hunters and have 5 razorbacks.

lowdog
10-15-2010, 07:25 AM
I rechecked my codex. The Wolf Guard Battle Leader can't take a Thunderwolf Mount and Saga of the Hunter bc the Saga says Infantry only. The Thunderwolf entry says that a character with a Thunderwolf has the unit type of cavalry. So you can't take both. Also, page 85, under the Battle Leader entry, the Saga of the Hunter has an asterisk next to it, which if you follow down leads you to the statement "May only be taken by a model in power armor that does not have a jump pack or bike." So you can't have Hunter and Runic Armor either.

It sucks, yeah, and might not make a whole lot of sense, but the rules are pretty explicit on that. You could still stick him with your cavalry or swap out for a Priest with meltabombs to accompany the scouts (and give them preferred enemy vehicles).

gannam
10-15-2010, 08:17 AM
That's a very interesting interpretation. But I would counter that giving a character wargear does not fundamentally change their unit type, but changes them to a "move as" status.

I would cite a great example with the Hive Tyrant. It has a class of monstrous creature, but if you give it wings, it "moves as" jump infantry. It does not lose the status of being a monstrous creature.

I think you may be right however, about the runic armor. I am going to make a post on Dakka about this and find out for sure. The rules seem kind of ambiguous about this.

As far as the build criticism. Thanks for that. I think I am going to add more grey hunters to this build as well. I don't think I have enough troops in this army.