PDA

View Full Version : space wolf sandbox

gannam
10-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Ok, I have bounced around several ideas here and I decided that perhaps I should consult the community before constructing my army. I am looking to build a 2000 point tournament army with these parts.

I bought several boxes of space wolf/ space marine components, and was wondering what I should do with it. Think of this project as your own personal sandbox and tell me what you would build with these components. Also please keep in mind that I am quite capable of conversion, and am not above using "counts as" models to represent special characaters (ie....Canis wolfborn)

Here are my parts list

4 boxes of space wolf packs. Basically enough for 40 marines

4 razorback kits

enough missile launcher bits to create 10 long fangs all with missiles

1 pack of scouts

1 Rune priest in terminator armor. (The short metal model)

Wolf mounts x 5

15 fantasy wolves (orc wolves)

And a remaining cash budget of $100.00 (consider that I normally get a 20% discount off of ebay and sales)

Additionally, I have the following spare components from my old marine army that can be converted

1 extra rino

3 wirlwind launchers

thealmightypez
10-15-2010, 10:18 AM
make the sw pack boxes grey hunters, shop around on ebay to find 4-5 meltaguns, give one to each pack as well as at least one powerfist. 9 man squads with a wolfguard mounted in rhinos make really good workhorses. so make at least 2 of the razorback kits rhinos or pick up the bits you need to convert them. Give the scouts a meltagun and a wolfguard with either a combi melta and fist or meltabombs and whatever. 2 squads of long fangs with missile launchers are ridiculously effective against mech, they're not going to down land raiders regularly but are a threat against rhinos and even predators. the rune priest should be kitted out for either defence with living lightning and tempest wrath, or offensively with murderous hurricane and jaws. if you are going for offense you should give your rp a bodyguard because they're not all that great in cc. the wolves should either be used as a screen for your mech, or put a character on a thunderwolf with the saga of the wolfkin in order to make them more effective. personally, i would spend the money on a land raider form the warstore, and a box of wolfguard terminators.
i dont know what points value you're going for, but i think a decent list would be:

Rune Priest: Terminator Armor, Saga of the Beastslayer, Murderous Hurricane, Living Lightning 130

Wolf Lord: Runic Armor, Frost Axe, Thunderwolf, Belt of Russ, Meltabombs, Saga of the Wolfkin 235

4 Wolf Guard Terminators: 4x Wolf Claw/Combimelta 172

5 Wolf Scouts: Meltagun, Wolfguard w/ Power Weapon and Meltabombs 118

(x3) Grey Hunters x9: Meltagun, Powerfist, Wolf Guard w/Powerfist Rhino w/ Extra Armor 729

15 Fenrisian Wolves: 120

6 Long Fangs: 5x Missile Launcher, Razorback w/ Twin Linked Lascannon 215

5 Long Fangs: 4x Missile Launcher, Wolf Guard Terminator w/ Cyclone Missile Launcher 178

Land Raider: Extra Armor, Multimelta 275

total: 2172

that uses most of what you listed, the extra models can be used to swap around and find what you want to work with.the points value is a little wierd but it gives you room to add or drop whatever in order to hit 2500 or 1850. another idea would be to skip the terminators and land raider and go for a a squadron of land speeders with multimeltas. anyway hope that helps