PDA

View Full Version : Bigred's Mystery Revealed

Bigred
10-16-2010, 08:36 AM
I thought you'd like this.

Me last night at the Salt Lick (http://www.saltlickbbq.com/), the best BBQ joint in Texas. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

lobster-overlord
10-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Very cool. You have your own brand of Carnifex proxies.

Aldramelech
10-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Jesus christ! Its a cow on a plate!

In this country you'd pay the cost of a 40k army for that much meat........

Bigred
10-16-2010, 10:10 PM
And to think they charge $18.95 USD and will refill that plate as much as you want till they have to roll you out.

Aldramelech
10-17-2010, 12:40 AM
You Americans would be stunned if you knew how much we pay for food in this country. A couple of years ago we thought there might be a Supermarket War the likes of which have never been seen here when Wallmart came over and bought a big chain called ASDA. Prices were set to plumet to the levels that you guys pay for grocerys but it never happened. I guess Wallmart figured if we were stupid enough to pay double the price Americans pays for everything they might as well rip us off too.

For whats on that plate you'd spend £50 -£60 and sure as hell wouldn't get no re-fill.

Darkwynn
10-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Is also the reason why a lot of Americans are fat too so there are pros and cons of both :D

scadugenga
10-17-2010, 04:46 PM
@Bigred--if there's one thing you Texas know how to do--it's bbq up some meat. Hands down.

But we Chicagoans have you beat cleanly on pizza.

@Aldy--I got married & honeymooned in Ireland. The cost of eating out was mind-blowing, for certain. Freaking VAT...

@Darkwynn--I'm fairly well certain that's not even a minor factor in american obesity. Perhaps the fact that you can get disgusting McDonald's fried food for much cheaper than you could a more healthy option, like grilled chicken, plays a larger part. Or the fact that we drive *everywhere* (which, to be fair, you Texans have more of a need to--sheesh, is anything close together in Texas???) when walking would be just fine.

But that's really a topic for another day and a different forum...

BuFFo
10-17-2010, 06:32 PM
I have wanted BigRed in my throat for years, and now I REALLY want some BigRed in me!!! :eek:

Bigred
10-17-2010, 11:40 PM
@Scadugenga, you got me there. I love me some authentic Chicago pies!

@Buffo - And now you can (http://www.bigred.com/)

PS, your comment and avatar combo disturb me :)

Kahoolin
10-18-2010, 12:56 AM
And to think they charge $18.95 USD and will refill that plate as much as you want till they have to roll you out.So do cows grow on trees over there? That plate of steak looks delicious, I'm going to go have a roast beef sandwich. No BigRed though :(

They've started doing this thing in Australian supermarkets where one chocolate bar is $1.95 but two is $3.00. My mate at work used to live in the US and he said it reminds him of the way they sell food over there. Pretty soon everyone in Australia is going to be fat because we're getting American style food retail. Everything bad for you is becoming cheap.

scadugenga
10-18-2010, 07:21 PM
So do cows grow on trees over there? That plate of steak looks delicious, I'm going to go have a roast beef sandwich. No BigRed though :(

They've started doing this thing in Australian supermarkets where one chocolate bar is $1.95 but two is $3.00. My mate at work used to live in the US and he said it reminds him of the way they sell food over there. Pretty soon everyone in Australia is going to be fat because we're getting American style food retail. Everything bad for you is becoming cheap.

It's Texas. They practically invented BBQ. And it's a friggin huge state. I read somewhere that you could take the entire world's population and put them in Texas, and they'd still have about 1000 square feet of space each.

@Bigred--when you're in the Lombard area next year for Adepticon--make sure you try Aurelio's Pizza. They don't do deep dish, but it is by far, the best thin crust pizza I've ever had.

Aldramelech
10-19-2010, 02:22 AM
Love Pizza. In England we only really have two choices, Pizza Hut or Dominos, niether are the real deal I suspect to someone from the East Coast USA.

Also I bet you dont have to take out a mortgage to have some, My regular order from Pizza Hut comes in at about £25-£30!
Thats one 10 slice, one 8 slice and some garlic bread. That would be about 50ish USD?

Welcome to rip off Britain, now you can understand why we complain so much about the cost of figures, we've spent all our bloody money on food!

scadugenga
10-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Love Pizza. In England we only really have two choices, Pizza Hut or Dominos, niether are the real deal I suspect to someone from the East Coast USA.

Also I bet you dont have to take out a mortgage to have some, My regular order from Pizza Hut comes in at about £25-£30!
Thats one 10 slice, one 8 slice and some garlic bread. That would be about 50ish USD?

Welcome to rip off Britain, now you can understand why we complain so much about the cost of figures, we've spent all our bloody money on food!

If all you get is Pizza Hut or Dominos I feel for you. Neither is "real" pizza. Though Pizza Hut has made strides lately in moving away from the cardboard flavor that most chain fast food pizza places get.

Bigred
10-19-2010, 11:10 AM
But then again Aldramelech, you have the much cheaper pizza option of hopping on over to Italy to get the "real stuff".

Best pizza I ever had in my life was in a little parlour in Florence... So good.

Aldramelech
10-19-2010, 11:46 AM
But then again Aldramelech, you have the much cheaper pizza option of hopping on over to Italy to get the "real stuff".

Best pizza I ever had in my life was in a little parlour in Florence... So good.

Dont get me started on our airport taxes!!!!!!!! lol

Faultie
10-20-2010, 06:55 AM
You brits sure love to complain! :D

Also, Texas has got the best BBQ, although I must disagree that the Salt Lick is the best in the state. It's good, to be sure, but not the best. But then, what would those jokers down in Austin know about BBQ? :p

Bigred
10-20-2010, 07:21 AM
Oh that's it Faultie... Now its ON!

:)

L192837465
10-20-2010, 08:50 AM

$50 usd? Oh GAWD no. That would probably $25-$30 tax and tip included.

I also disagree that the saltlick is the best. I'd have to go with Rudy's, just for their AMAZING bbq sauce.

And the worlds population into texas would leave .23 square feet per person. I think you were going on the US population, which would leave 4.7 square feet per person. (World pop: 6 billion, US pop: 300 million, Teaxas total area: 268820 square miles)

Col.Gravis
10-20-2010, 08:57 AM

Complain? That aint complaining, we moan about our lot and then get on with things (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/2010/10/spending_review_your_reaction.html) ;)

Now the French, they complain (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11580492)!

Aldramelech
10-20-2010, 10:42 AM

Also, Texas has got the best BBQ, although I must disagree that the Salt Lick is the best in the state. It's good, to be sure, but not the best. But then, what would those jokers down in Austin know about BBQ? :p

If you payed anything like the sheer amount of Tax we pay, so would you. Bear in mind that there are only two things in this country that arn't taxed, Childrens cloths and Books. EVERYTHING else is taxed, and not just a little bit either, oh no sir, 20% at least and if your talking petrol, 70%!!!

scadugenga
10-20-2010, 07:18 PM
If you payed anything like the sheer amount of Tax we pay, so would you. Bear in mind that there are only two things in this country that arn't taxed, Childrens cloths and Books. EVERYTHING else is taxed, and not just a little bit either, oh no sir, 20% at least and if your talking petrol, 70%!!!

Well, to be fair, your country is smaller than my state, with 4 times as many people. It's not *that* big... :) I can see not needing cars as much, particularly in more urban areas.

The rest of your VAT does suck rocks, though. But don't you get free healthcare? ;)

And alcohol is waaay too expensive over there. Yeesh. A pint of Guinness is much more expensive (but better tasting) on your side of the pond.

@L192837465. 1 square mile is 27,562,500 feet. (5250*5250). That times 261,797.12 square miles of land in TX divided by 6,000,000,000 (est. people in the world) = 1202.63' per person.

Kieranator K82
10-20-2010, 08:29 PM
New Zealand!

lobster-overlord
10-20-2010, 10:14 PM

Best I had was in an Italian eatery in Jerusalem. They still had better pizza than the stateside chains... (and I sell pizza for a living....)

Duke
10-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Best pizza I had was in Ljubljana Slovenia (Italian sausage, onions, mushrooms, eggs sunny side up)

But what I really want to know is: if you are big red, where is big blue? I would also like to know what you did to big peach, and for lords sake where did big honey lemonade go?!

Duke

Aldramelech
10-21-2010, 01:07 AM
Well, to be fair, your country is smaller than my state, with 4 times as many people. It's not *that* big... :) I can see not needing cars as much, particularly in more urban areas.

The rest of your VAT does suck rocks, though. But don't you get free healthcare? ;)

And alcohol is waaay too expensive over there. Yeesh. A pint of Guinness is much more expensive (but better tasting) on your side of the pond.

@L192837465. 1 square mile is 27,562,500 feet. (5250*5250). That times 261,797.12 square miles of land in TX divided by 6,000,000,000 (est. people in the world) = 1202.63' per person.

Don't matter how big or small your country or state is, 10 miles is still 10 miles, 3 miles is still 3 miles and the car is king. Not only do we pay 70% tax on fuel, we have to pay road tax every year which is another £180 and car insurance is compulsory which is not so bad for me being 38 (the older you are the cheaper it gets) its only another £200 a year, but if your in your early 20s it can be £700-£800!

Health care is not really free, as well as income tax we have to pay whats called "National Insurance Contributions" the more you earn the more you pay, I'm paying around £100 a month at the moment and then you have to pay a prescription charge for any medicine. None of this includes dental care which you pay for separately. So no, it ain't free.

Now I am a smoker and I realize that lots of you virtuous children ain't, but you would not believe how much a pack of cigarettes cost here, £6 a pack of 20, thats about $9! Most of that is Tax. It costs so much I roll my own and go to Belgium once a year to buy my Tobacco to avoid paying all that tax.

scadugenga
10-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Don't matter how big or small your country or state is, 10 miles is still 10 miles, 3 miles is still 3 miles and the car is king. Not only do we pay 70% tax on fuel, we have to pay road tax every year which is another £180 and car insurance is compulsory which is not so bad for me being 38 (the older you are the cheaper it gets) its only another £200 a year, but if your in your early 20s it can be £700-£800!

Health care is not really free, as well as income tax we have to pay whats called "National Insurance Contributions" the more you earn the more you pay, I'm paying around £100 a month at the moment and then you have to pay a prescription charge for any medicine. None of this includes dental care which you pay for separately. So no, it ain't free.

Now I am a smoker and I realize that lots of you virtuous children ain't, but you would not believe how much a pack of cigarettes cost here, £6 a pack of 20, thats about $9! Most of that is Tax. It costs so much I roll my own and go to Belgium once a year to buy my Tobacco to avoid paying all that tax.

True, but I think you commute smaller distances as a whole.

For example, my wife (once she gets off maternity leave) has to drive about 36 miles each way to work. Or, about the distance from Bristol to Gloucester.

I actually work for an insurance company, so I know all about that silly racket. 200 pounds a year is pretty cheap, comparatively. Instead of a Road Tax, we have "Vehicle Registration" which runs from $100-$500 annually depending on what state you live in. (For some reason, the less populated rural areas pay more--makes no sense to me...)

Don't get me started on health insurance costs. I about dropped a load when I found out how much the baby is driving up my rates. It's definitely cutting into the eat out/discretionary funds spending... Grr. Daycare is worse. Holy hell, grad school was less expensive.

And I'm one of those "virtuous" nonsmoker types, so yeah--have no comparison there. Goodonya for finding a way around the tax though! That's how I was able to get real absinthe back to the States (buy it in St. Maarten, where it's not only legal, but duty free!) where for some reason it's perfectly legal to own, transport (IE, bring into the country), and consume absinthe--but illegal to buy it. Goofy lawmakers.

DarkLink
10-26-2010, 12:23 PM
you can (http://www.bigred.com/)[/B]

PS, your comment and avatar combo disturb me :)

I'm sure he'll be gentle;)

If anyone ever asks why I vote republican (normally), I'll redirect them to this;). I figure all politicians are probably equally incompetent, so I'm gonna pick the ones that don't try and take all my money.