PDA

View Full Version : Standard Bearers, is this really how fantasy works?

mallet_man
10-16-2010, 04:57 PM
So my friend and I just finished playing a game of fantasy, in the first turn I charged a unit of his Halberds with a warrior priest attached (his general) and I won the combat by one point my standard bearer, his unit failed it's leadership test turned, fled and got cut down by my skeletons, so on the first turn of the game he lost 220 points of models including his general because I had a flag, I am pretty sure that we were following all of the rules properly, but that just seems crazy! Is it me, or is that just the way fantasy works?

Thanks

MM

Nungunz
10-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Yep, that can definitely happen in a game. One thing though would be to make sure you totaled up the combat resolution correctly. I'm surprised that skeletons (even with a standard) could inflict more wounds and hold more ranks than a block of halbrediers with a warrior priest.

Were the halbrediers steadfast?

Was there a Battle Standard Bearer within 12"?

I've lost many units due to losing combat (even by 1 point). Had it happen where a block of 25 spearmen went against 15 dwarf warriors, lost by 1, fled, and were cut down. A nearby corsair unit panicked as a result and ran as well.

The best ways to minimize this happening is to make sure that your unit is steadfast, and/or there is a battle standard bearer nearby, and or their is a high leadership character with the unit.

Brass Scorpion
10-16-2010, 10:20 PM
It's not just you, that is how it works. Banners add a point to your combat resolution as does each wound caused and other factors too. When you calculate who won and lost, a loss is a loss. Losing by a lot is worse than losing by a little because the dice modifier is larger for losing by a lot, but either way the loser takes a dice roll. While the amount a unit loses combat by proportionately affects the leadership dice roll, the result is the same when you fail the roll whether you fail by 1 point or 8 points. When a unit fails, it runs, and if it's caught, its wiped out. It's that simple. So do everything you can to improve your combat resolution score, like taking a unit standard whenever possible.

cerebros
11-06-2010, 05:57 PM
you should also be aware that if your combat resolution scores are equal but one side has a musician then that side wins combat.