PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Tyranid Vs. Space Wolves

YourMomsBox
10-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Have 2 lists, debating between which to use. Typically I've been going against Long Fang squads, Razorbacks, Land Speeders and Rune Priests mix. I expect my opponent to think I will take my usual Outflanking/Deepstriking list. Which do you think will work?

HQ's: 2 Tervigon w/Adrenal Glands & Catalyst
Troops: 3 20 man squads of Termies w/ Devourers in a Mycetic Spore with Cluster Spines
3 2 Tervigon w/ Adrenal Glands & Catalyst
Elite: Deathleaper
Fast Attack: Harpy w/ TL Heavy Venom Cannon
2 squads of 3 Spore Mines each

Reserves coming in on +1 initially, then +2 w/ Leaper.
Spore Mpines on the flanks to force him to converge in the middle.
Deathleaper will deploy somewhere near the middle in a fortification or out of LOS in terrain.
Tervigons will cast FNP on each other initially, and then on spawned Termies with some advancing if needed while others sit on objective.
Termies in Spores will land and shoot Fangs, Priests or RA on Razorbacks or take out Landspeeders.
Harpy will sit back and shoot at Armor, Long Fangs or just wreak havoc as needed.

or

HQ: Hive Tyrant w/ Heavy Venom Cannon and Regeneration & Hive Commander
HQ: Tervigon
Troops: 3 Squads of 20 Hormies (w/ Adrenal Glands & Toxin Sacs) each w/ Mycetic Spore with Cluster Spines
3 Squads of 20 Termies w/ Devourers each w/ Mycetic Spore
Elite: Deathleaper

Reserves coming in on +1 initially, then +2 w/ Leaper.
Hive Tyrant will set up in some terrain or fortification to get cover save while using HVC against Armor targets.
Tervigon sits on Objective and spawns Termies. Can use Catalyst on whomever needs it most.
3 Mycetic Spores for Hormies will be deployed w/o them near enemy lines to help block LOS and thin out ranks with Tentacles and Cluster Spines.
Hormies will run up field with Spores blocking LOS for first few turns.
Termies in Spores will land and shoot Fangs, Priests or RA on Razorbacks or take out Landspeeders.
Deathleaper will deploy somewhere near the middle in a fortification or out of LOS in terrain.

Which do you think will work best? Thanks for any suggestions.

gannam
10-18-2010, 10:13 AM
For long fangs there is no better unit than the Doom of Malantai. The opponent will have to make a choice to either run from you (long fangs can't shoot if they are moving), or pour all fire into your unit, which will allow you to get your other units across the board.

Genestealers are also excellent against long fangs as you can outflank and crush them.

The elite genestealers are also very good as you can pick terrain and put them in there anticipating that your opponent will try and set up shop in some form of area terrain.

YourMomsBox
10-18-2010, 10:29 AM
For long fangs there is no better unit than the Doom of Malantai. The opponent will have to make a choice to either run from you (long fangs can't shoot if they are moving), or pour all fire into your unit, which will allow you to get your other units across the board.

Genestealers are also excellent against long fangs as you can outflank and crush them.

The elite Genestealers are also very good as you can pick terrain and put them in there anticipating that your opponent will try and set up shop in some form of area terrain.

Doom is nice, but with a squad of Long Fangs, if I get bad scatter, I'm out of range and Krak fodder for his squad.

Genestealers are nice, but I've used them enough that my opponent is sure to expect them, so I'm trying to use a different technique.

Ymargls are a one trick pony. They lack Offensive grenades, so they are striking last, unless I get a good Fleet roll out of Terrain. That is of course my opponent doesn't deploy in the terrain I pick, in which I'm losing a squad since I am unable to deploy with an enemy within 1".

I appreciate the suggestions, I'm just looking for a different approach than Outflanking Genestealers, or units that can be insta-gibbed with S8 weapons.

gannam
10-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Don't give up on the doom so easily. I would play test it a few time. I think you will find the results very surprising.

Also one thing I failed to mention earlier, is never make a nid list for just one army. You need a balanced list. Nid benefit from spaming the same unit over and over again just like every other army.

3 units of 3 hive guard in the elite slots
3 tyranofexes in the heavy slots
2 hive tyrants with heavy vennom cannons
3 tervigons in the troop slots with 3 small squads of gaunts.

I saw a 2500 point army of these in ard boys and he slaughtered everything in sight.

YourMomsBox
10-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Which approach is better, Close Combat or a more shootier approach?