PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Kantor list

Ramza
10-18-2010, 01:26 PM
This is a list I made up, just want to see what everyone thinks.

Hq-

CM Pedro Kantor

Chaplain w/ jump pack

Elite-

Sternguard Vets
3x Combi-Meltas
1x Melta
6x Bolters
Drop Pod

Sternguard Vets
10x Bolters
Drop Pod

Dreadnaught
Multi-melta
Heavy Flamer
Drop Pod

Troops

Tactical Squad
1x Lascannon
1x Melta
1x Sergeant
7x bolters
Rhino

Tactical Squad
1x Lascannon
1x Melta
1x Sergeant
7x bolters
Rhino

Fast Attack

Assault Squad
9x Marines with Chainsword and Bolt Pistol
1x Sergeant with Power Weapon and Combat Shield

Heavy Support

Predator
Twin-Linked Lascannon
Lascannon sponsons

Predator
Autocannon
Heavy Bolter sponsons

Predator
Autocannon
Heavy Bolter sponsons

The idea is that obviously the chappy runs with the assault squad. Kantor is in the second drop pod of sternguard (without meltas). I drop in the dread and the first sternguards, combat squad them with all of the meltas in one squad and a 5 man bolters in the other. The dread is a tank hunter, but the 5 man with meltas is my land raider destroyer. The other 5 man then hellfires into whatever was inside of the landraider (or equivalent tansport). My tac squads sit on objectives and provide long range lascannon support, as does the Lascannon pred. The other two preds clean up any infantry running around, while the Assault squad and Chaplain Charge up to support Kantor on an objective.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Mal
10-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Honestly im really not a fan of the assault squad... you really don't get much bang for your buck with them. They don't even have a high number of attacks (1 base, +1 for 2ccw, 1+ for charging, so after the charge, 2 attacks a piece isn't spectacular), when combined with the abject lack of power weapons (only 1 on the sarg, although I am glad to not see a fist there) means they really don't kill much against a MEQ force.

I'd be tempted to put the chappy in with the drop pod (it holds 12 iirc) to boost the combat aspect of that squad combined with the aura bonus from kantor, that will make that unit deadly at shooting and even more dangerous than the assault marines in combat. To be fair this will mean that anyone you face who realises this will turn that unit into a fire magnet.

I'd also suggest dropping the assault marines for a couple of speeders, either kitted as anti tank or flamer speeders for anti infantry, which ever you need more of for your areas metagame... this will also give you around 40 ish points to spend on wargear for your vehicles, and mabey some deathwind launchers for the pods, depending no how you kit the speeders out.

blackarmchair
10-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Ah, you don't really need the speeders given the massive amount of melta you already have not to mention the preds.

The only issue I see is that you're wasting a lot of points. What I mean by that is, that dread and the Sterguard with the Meltas are going to come in very close to your enemy to make use of their weapons. While they'll most likely kill what they shoot they'll die immediately after. This leaves you with tactical marines, some preds and one decent assaulty unit.

If I were you, I'd place all the squads into drop pods (including the assault squad). Drop in the Tactical Squads and the Melta Sternguard squad first (near some cover) and shoot everything up. Dread and hammers come in second to support.

This gives you the opportunity to do a few things. A) eliminate immediate threats to your expensive 10-man sternguard unit and your dreadnought and B) you'll be able to deploy tactically even if your opponent reserves his army because unlike many drop pod armies you aren't looking for an assault, you're looking to shoot.

Only other idea might be to swap the Predators for Ironclads. But that's just a taste issue.

Hope that was helpful!

Ramza
10-23-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks for your comments guys. I have the Assault squad with the Chappy, which gives them all re-rolls and an extra power weapon. I usually run them close enough to where Kantor is for the buff, so the Chap and Sarg both get 5 atks while everyone else gets 4 re-rolling hits. So far, im 4-0 with this list, against 3 marine armies and a guard list (i want to play some xenos but not many in my area). As far as dropping everything in pods, I'm not a big fan as I rely on my rhino tac squads to sit on objectives and take a beating before they get out. If I took Ironclads, I would have to take them instead of my Sternguards and Dread, not my preds as they are elites. Unless i took a MOTF, which I haven't seen do much good other than give some scouts a 2+ cover save on an objective. Idk, The speeders, I don't feel like I need. I have plenty of anti-tank with my preds and lascannons in tac squads, plus my drop vets and dread. I originally wanted to do Vanguards and give my pods LB's but I couldnt justify it because they are hella expensive for a 5 man squad with packs..

Tynskel
10-23-2010, 10:18 AM
I would swap one Sternguard /tactical squad's transports. Have one Tactical squad and one Sternguard deep strike and one tactical squad and sternguard roll.

the jeske
10-23-2010, 12:00 PM
if pedro build then 10 man sternguard units x2 . drop pod for each . 10 combis in every unit. 5 melta 5 plasma [or 3/3 depanding how many points are played] . land combat squad pop transports with melta pop what is inside with plasma. if something is still alive then you have your las tacs to help with the stuning and either RL from speeders or from devs you could even go one combat squaded dev uni with plasma canons and [2x5 4 plasma canons] and rest in MM attack bikes to be sure the transports get poped . as alfa strike build as it gets with sm codex.

Tynskel
10-24-2010, 08:53 PM
I have said this multiple times: That is one of the worst ways to build your army.

I love it when my opponent does that, because it means that I will kill 600 (700 with pedro attached) in about 1 turn.

Sternguard are much better off supporting the army, than bliztkrieg. Leave the Blitzkriging to guys in 2+ armor or have Front armor 13 with Str 10 weapons.

the jeske
10-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Did I say that the pedro build is a good one specialy at more then 1850? no I just said they work only in an alfa strike build .If someone wants to use them as support to a semi LR rush army , then there are better set ups for it[vulkan for example] or dex that buff the termis more [like BA giving termis FnP] . trying to play mecha with sternguard is trying to play with tacticals that cost more , but they like normal tacs. Yes against an IG build or SW the 4 combat squaded sternguard units and 2 pods will probably die , thing is the same two squads in rhinos will do the same , only in the pod case they will kill something.