PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Fist 2k

Chexmix282
10-19-2010, 01:42 AM
Here's another SM list i've been working on. This should be interesting...

HQ
Pedro Kantor 175

Elites
2 x 6 Sternguard 440
-2 Heavy Flamers, 3 Combi-Meltas, Rhino

10 Terminators 460
-2 Cyclone Missile Launchers

Troops
2 x Tactical Squad 460
-Flamer, Multi-Melta, Powerfist, Rhino

Fast Attack
3 x 1 Land Speeder 210
-MM/HF

Heavy Support
3 x Predator 255
-Heavy Bolters

The Terminators act as a Bubblewrap for the Rhinos while offering supporting fire and a large counter-assault threat, The Predators offer fantastic supporting fire and the Land Speeders deepstrike, melt/flame, and be a nuisance in general.

I was considering exchanging the Speeders for Typhoons (by dropping the Tactical's Powerfists and one Combi-Melta from each Sternguard unit, as i feel that the Sternguard and Tacticals have enough Melta/Flamer goodness between them. Thoughts?

lowdog
10-19-2010, 08:46 AM
When you say "bubble wrap" are you meaning have the terminators walk in front of the rhinos to give them a cover save? If so two issues:

1) I'm not sure infantry can give a cover save to a vehicle. I know shooting through a squad at another squad gives a save, but vehicle might work differently. I don't know for sure though.

2) You're sacrificing one of the main reasons for taking transports: speed. If your squads in transports are following behind the terms at 6" a turn, why not just have them footslog and put all those points towards something else, like yet another squad or a librarian with null zone? The squads would still get cover saves being behind the terminators, and the high strength antimech capability of your opponent's force would find itself paying points to kill vehicles you don't have.

I'd also swap out the shooty terminators for 10 TH/SS terminators. The higher invul makes them a better screen if that's what they are being used for and they become tougher in combat for the same reason. Add in Pedro's attack bonus bubble and they can put a serious smack down.

Splug
10-19-2010, 11:07 AM
I agree on the use of TH/SS terminators if you're using them as a screen. The storm bolters are nice, but you'll probably want to run them every turn until they're close... so you really don't get to use them (or the cost to use them is fairly high). At that point, you may as well just be more durable. Mixing a couple LC terminators in is probably a good plan as well, just to get some I4 attacks in (and have that extra swing if you're stuck in combat for a while).

JxKxR
10-19-2010, 01:21 PM
LowDog is right about the terminators not giving vehicles cover saves. You only get the save if your vehicle is at least half covered by terrain.

Splug
10-19-2010, 01:48 PM
LowDog is right about the terminators not giving vehicles cover saves. You only get the save if your vehicle is at least half covered by terrain.It doesn't necessarily have to be terrain, and terminators are pretty bulky. You'd have to pack them in tight, (risking template bombardment), but I'd wager you could obscure 50% of a rhino chassis using them. However, just having a line of terminators in front of it with a full 1.999" spacing between them is certainly not going to be enough to get a vehicle cover.

lowdog
10-19-2010, 02:50 PM
It doesn't necessarily have to be terrain, and terminators are pretty bulky. You'd have to pack them in tight, (risking template bombardment), but I'd wager you could obscure 50% of a rhino chassis using them. However, just having a line of terminators in front of it with a full 1.999" spacing between them is certainly not going to be enough to get a vehicle cover.

Cool, I wasn't sure how that worked.

Still, you are using 460 points of models to screen 35 point transports and hamstringing their ability to move. Your embarked squads are now moving the same speed as if they were disembarked, and less models in the squad can shoot.

Mal
10-19-2010, 03:39 PM
You could run the termis... but then your loosing the advantage of your 24" mobile shooting range and the cyclones will be silent.

Personally I don't use a screen for rhinos... they are themselves a mobile screen...

Chexmix282
10-21-2010, 03:08 AM
Heh, i guess i didnt think the whole "termies move 6", vehicles move 12"" thing through.

maybe this instead:

HQ
Pedro Kantor 175

Librarian 100
-Null Zone, Avenger

Elites
2 x 5 Sternguard 470
-2 Heavy Flamers, 3 Combi-Meltas, Razorback w/ Lascannon, TL Plasmagun

10 Terminators 460
-2 Cyclone Missile Launchers

Troops
2 x Tactical Squad 330
-Razorback w/ Lascannon, TL Plasmagun

Fast Attack
3 x 1 Land Speeder 210
-Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer

Heavy Support
3 x Predator 255
-Heavy Bolters

This way the Terminators can grant cover to the Razorbacks, while both move 6" per turn and fire. Initially i wanted TH/SS Termies instead of Tactical ones but having that many crimson Powerfists on the table was too hard to pass up, lol. The unit just adds way too much character to the army for me to want to exchange it... and i like Cyclones a lot ;)

As Powerfists are rather useless on 5-man Tactical squads (and tactical squads in general, lol) i exchanged them (along with 2 Sternguard) for a Libby. With Null Zone and Pedro support my Termies should be able to beat things up, assuming they low initiative as well.

I've also added Psychic Defense with the Librarian, which is never a bad thing to have!

Splug
10-21-2010, 11:17 AM
More than likely, the predators won't be moving 6" every turn. You're not playing Blood Angels, so to fire all the guns those predators need to sit and spin. Otherwise, why pay for the sponsons?

The army has a decent number of long-range fire options, between the cyclones and razorbacks. The amount of bolter fire at mid-short range is fairly impressive as well. It should be a reasonably solid list.