PDA

View Full Version : The Female Figure (So to say...)

Lord Anubis
08-22-2009, 01:17 PM
I was just curious if anyone knows why GW so rarely does female Guardsmen? All through the fluff there's references to different worlds and companies where female soldiers are just as common as male. Yet, to the best of my knowledge, the only feminine figures ever made were the female commissar, the Catachan grenade launcher, and the Tanith Ghost.

I understand from a practical point of view adding such a fig to the sprues would be very limiting, as it would be tough to make arms/weapons interchangeable. But it seems like a basic metal two-pack or so would be easy to do and (I would think) fairly well-received. Here's one Cadian/Catachan female standing with a lasgun and one crouching to match the heavy weapons tripod. I know I'd buy two or three if such a thing existed.

Just random musings/ wonderings...

wittdooley
08-22-2009, 01:28 PM
In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there are only... males!

DevilUknow
08-22-2009, 01:58 PM
i can't imagine a female guards...person would look very much different than a male unless you're looking for female catachan fighters that look like Laura Croft or something. Those fatigues and flak vests on the Cadians aren't exactly form fitting.

With some green stuff and some 3rd party heads (or even some Sisters of Battle heads) you could probably make some without much difficulty.

Gotthammer
08-22-2009, 02:48 PM
That they aren't form fitting is a very good point - female soldiers look very similar (http://images.publicradio.org/content/2008/03/26/20080326_female_soldier_33.jpg) to male soldiers in full kit (http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/01/26/female_soldier_wideweb__430x287.jpg) (see the start of Iron Man for example). I just do headswaps (Hasslefree mostly) to achive the effect. Same with my Marines - I tell people about a third are female, then they go in for a closer look and can't figure it out, and ask which ones as they can't see. I respond to them that you can't tell by looking as they've go their armour on ;)

As to why GW doesn't do it, I suspect it's because very few of their sculptors seem able to sculpt female figures who don't look like men pretending to be women, or laughably slim compared to the rest of the line, or like actual female combat troops who didn't forget to get dressed. Compare the Catachan female to a contemporary metal Catachan and she's tiny - the Escher gangers were slender, but looked like women rather than teenagers (and had greater muscle definition than a woman from The Planet of the 'roids).

Also I think it is partly due to some people who wouldn't want 1/10th or 1/5th of their force to be female (for whatever reason), so if they put a female body on the catachan/cadian sprue they'd need to make a male to counter it out and it would be a bit of a waste from that point of view. Eldar I think get away with it as they are elves and inherintly 'girly' (the heads do double duty as male and female), and they tend to attract a more mature type of kid than guard would, so the employees won't have to explain to some spotty grot why he has to have girls in his army.

There are two other female figures - Warrior Woman and Rocket Girl from the Last Chancers set. Battlefield Berlin do a couple of Cadian conversion kits (http://www.battlefield-berlin.de/shop/index.php?list=WG934) though.

The Girl
08-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Definitely agree with the idea that a full kit would make them look about the same. I'll take that over what GW [and most game companies] does to a lot of female characters: strip them of armor to show their boobs and what have you. It's, for lack of anything better, pathetic and predictable. It's more realistic to have them looking like their male counterparts than have GW mold some sort of sexed up, shapely armor to distinguish them.

Dosadi
08-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Oddly enough, all three of those Imperial Guard female figures you mentioned appear in my Inquisitorial IG army. :cool:
Along with the Death Cult assassins who are female, a Sisters Hospitaller, a Sister Dialogous and some Seraphim to represent the fact that my Inquisitor is not gender bias (he’s only heretic bias). Oh, and who can forget the Callidus Assassin?
I agree that a direct sales blister of female guardmen is in order. While they are at it I’d like some female aspect warriors for my Eldar. GW, please produce a female Striking Scorpion, Fire Dragon, Dire Avenger, Dark Reaper, Warp Spider and Swooping Hawk. Just to be fair, please produce a male Howling Banshee.:D

Dosadi

eldargal
08-22-2009, 09:31 PM
It is actually quite difficult to sculpt decent looking females in 28mm scale. With men you can get away with a lot more, with our finer bone structure it is exponentially more difficult to get a female mini that does not, as someone said above, look like a man pretending to be a woman.

This is why, in my opinion, the finest female figures GW produce are those with the faces covered, such as Eldar, Sisters Repentia + Mistress etc. on the other hand, take the regular sisters of battle, shave their heads and switch their bodies and they could pass for male.

This is not to say there are not some good female models, but mostly they are WFB. The Lelith Hesperax model I think is excellent and very feminine (but the face is half covered), but other than that you have to look at WFB elves. Most of the Dark Elf females are feminine, if ugly, though some of the regular witch elves are very fine. The Bretonnian damsel and Fey Enchantress aren't too bad either. Actually the damsel on foot is probably my favourite GW model after Hesperax. And her face is not covered.

I would love to see an all female IG range, with uniforms perhaps something along the lines of the Mordian gear. I actually made an all female SM chapter (with appropriate fluff, just to annoy peopel) using standard SMs but with the odd sergeant/captain with some of the better sisters of battle heads.

Edit: I forgot, the female comissar is very fine indeed, a pity she has her breasts almost hanging out over her clothes.

gwensdad
08-22-2009, 10:27 PM
I should just declare that any guard vehicle crews in my army that aren't sticking their heads out of hatches are female.
I wonder how hard it would be for GW to do a sprue of (metal) female heads?

Gotthammer
08-22-2009, 10:53 PM
I buy Hasslefree: http://hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/range.php?range_id=60 - Kev scultps some of the best female figures around IMO, it's a shame GW made him quit.

I think the 'eavy metal painters should bear some of the blame - when they super highlight faces it really brings out the bone structure, making it look much more masculine. The LoTR Spirit Galadriel is a perfect example of a reasonable model they painted up to look terrible.

TSINI
08-23-2009, 04:08 AM
hasslefree all the way for the best looking characters, female and male. i may have to experiment with a simple head swap to see if cadian bodies are feminine enough to pull off a female head. definately won't work on catachans lol

Aldramelech
08-23-2009, 04:22 AM
A group of guys got together a while back and commissioned a limited run of Cadian females (Plastic). I saw some on Ebay a while back and they were excellent. You could see they were female, chests bulging under the flak Armour, wider hips, excellent heads. I instantly wanted them, but unfortunately the last time I looked they were going for £100 for ten figures!
Never seen any since.

Forgeworld should be doing exactly this sort of thing.

TSINI
08-23-2009, 04:38 AM
A group of guys got together a while back and commissioned a limited run of Cadian females (Plastic). I saw some on Ebay a while back and they were excellent. You could see they were female, chests bulging under the flak Armour, wider hips, excellent heads. I instantly wanted them, but unfortunately the last time I looked they were going for £100 for ten figures!
Never seen any since.

Forgeworld should be doing exactly this sort of thing.

http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=5164

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/modelling-retired/89066-making-female-cadians-reality.html

yeah just found them, they look great, although a little thin on the waist. im convinced it wouldnt take much to convert up a few cadian models to be female. will have to give that a go soon

the one
08-23-2009, 04:41 AM
GW, please produce a female Striking Scorpion, Fire Dragon, Dire Avenger, Dark Reaper, Warp Spider and Swooping Hawk. Just to be fair, please produce a male Howling Banshee.

in the hobby section of the rule book did you see the female warp spiders? Looked great and loved to convert my own squad, but how?

the one
08-23-2009, 04:45 AM
But I do find it strange that games-workshop seem to have started with some female eldar in the guardians and then just forgot about females. (except for some of the harlequins and the banshees). I mean how hard can it be to make make a female autarch, or the other aspects at least.

Aldramelech
08-23-2009, 04:48 AM

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/modelling-retired/89066-making-female-cadians-reality.html

yeah just found them, they look great, although a little thin on the waist. im convinced it wouldnt take much to convert up a few cadian models to be female. will have to give that a go soon

Thats Them! good web skills!:D

eldargal
08-23-2009, 04:54 AM
I wish I had heard of that at the time, late 2007 was when I was thinking of making a female Cadian army if I could, led by a lady comissar named Joan of Cadia. Reading through the comments it occurs to me that those who think a woman will fit into a mans armour have never tried to actually put a female in a mans armour. It isn't just that we are a different size, we are a different shape. We go in at the waist and out at the hips and chest, and compression is rather limited. I've worn some modern kevlar armour issued to British troops, and while it could fit me it would not sit right and bounced all over the place when I moved because the bottom hit the hips but couldn't be anchored to the waist properly (a bit hard to explain this without pictures perhaps).
Here is a picture of a female US marine in Iraq, shameless harvested from a news website:
http://www.salem-news.com/gphotos/1220816737.jpg
Doesn't look male to me.

arkfatalis
08-23-2009, 06:37 AM
Have you tried http://www.tinsbits.com/webshop/index.php?cPath=7 if you want something tourney legal

Zigmunth
08-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Female guardsmen? I know there are many females in PDF's (Planetary Defence Forces) but not in IG... either you got those two things confused or I lack some vital knowledge :D

eldargal
08-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Actually, reading through the latest IG codex, the section about Cadia no where does it split recruitment along gender lines and on several ocassions says that the ENTIRE planetary population is destined for military service, with a great many (without specifying sex) drafted into the Imperial Guard.

Arkfatalis, they are nice heads, but with only two choices an army of guardswomen would get a bit monotonous.

Female guardsmen? I know there are many females in PDF's (Planetary Defence Forces) but not in IG... either you got those two things confused or I lack some vital knowledge :D

arkfatalis
08-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Yes but you could use the bodies and use heads from other models such as necromunda or demonettes and use a bit of green stuff

Aldramelech
08-23-2009, 08:35 AM

Eh? What?

You have of course remembered this is an imaginary universe that forms the background to a game of toy soldiers? :rolleyes:

Diagnosis Ninja
08-23-2009, 11:18 AM
But I do find it strange that games-workshop seem to have started with some female eldar in the guardians and then just forgot about females. (except for some of the harlequins and the banshees). I mean how hard can it be to make make a female autarch, or the other aspects at least.

I made an Autarch using a Howling Banshee Exarch, the Striking Scorpions Biting Blade, and Swooping Hawk wings. You have to kit bash from Banshee's :/

While I agree that there should be more female models, it doesn't particularly hurt the game. Besides, Brettonian Damsels are the way forward :D Most other female mini's I've seen seem to follow the fantasy ideal of "the less armour you wear, the better it protects you" :/ Most sculptors don't seem to be able to handle making 28mm, and the ones that do generally have breasts that are the same size as their head or bigger :/ How... Odd.

arkfatalis
08-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Yeah but woodelves are mainly female so you could convert Waywatchers to scouts or warhawk riders to rough riders which, if done right could look cool. You could even use wood elf drycha, branchwraith and convert it a little and use multiple converted models as ogryns.

Gotthammer
08-23-2009, 12:05 PM

Vital knowledge like the Commisar Cain books with the entirely female Valhallan regiment?

Reading through the comments it occurs to me that those who think a woman will fit into a mans armour have never tried to actually put a female in a mans armour.

As you may be referring to comments I made, I'll clarify - I do agree there would be an obvious difference, but at the scale of the figures it could often be negligable. Combine that with the already cartoonish proportions I have little faith that any attempt by GW would not end in cheesecake.

I think part of GWs problem is that with the hyper-styalised nature of their male figures (ie Catachan plastics as an extreme example) following the bizzarre proportions on a female form would make them look like a 40s pinup cartoon in the vein of Jessica Rabbit. So the sculptors revert to a more realistic set of proportions, which makes the female figures look odd in comparison - it's why LoTR figures look wierd next to 40k stuff even though they are theoretically the same scale. The Eldar get away with this due to being fairly androgynous sculpts anyway, but the super manliness of the IG is a hard thing to match properly.

The links posted by TSINI would be perfect, but given GWs track record I don't think any female guardsmen would be so well executed (Forgeworld I could see though).

in the hobby section of the rule book did you see the female warp spiders? Looked great and loved to convert my own squad, but how?

I used a scribe, knife and clippers to take off some detail, then greenstuff to make my Scorpion Exarch:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r314/Gotthammer/40k/SScorp01.jpg

The other option is hoarding guardian torsos and alot of cutting and filling.

Alternatively you could make a greenstuff pressmould, which is what I did for my Titan's Princeps:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r314/Gotthammer/40k/titan/VDO01.jpg

eldargal
08-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Gotthammer, thanks for clarifying, and I do agree to some extent. I would rather see few female 40k figures than some awful cheesecakey things. I do think they might stand a chance with a Mordian (or Cadian, possibly) inspired uniform, they seem a little less man-hulky than the Catachans. Love your princeps by the way!

Kahoolin
08-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Actually, reading through the latest IG codex, the section about Cadia no where does it split recruitment along gender lines and on several ocassions says that the ENTIRE planetary population is destined for military service, with a great many (without specifying sex) drafted into the Imperial Guard.I just want to say, I've always thought that was a really silly idea. If Cadia is a bastion world, existing only to provide soldiers etc, then surely they would do something like train the men to fight and forbid the women to do anything but bear children, kind of like the spartans? How do you maximize your fighting capacity if your women are all dead? Cadian women would be a much more valuable resource than men. Then again the Imperium makes some odd choices...

eldargal
08-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Ah, Spartan women were trained in combat too (not to the same extent as the men, but they were expected to defend themselves and keep fit. One Spartan lady made herself very unpopular on a trip to Athens were she described Athenian women as soft and flabby, or something along those lines), they just couldn't go to war with the men. The Spartan warrior elite effectively shrank dramatically over time due to institutionalised homosexuality (for both sexes) so I'm not sure if their model is one Cadia would want to emulate. There would be ways to get around the problem of valuable breeding stock being killed, maybe female soldiers have to do special breeding tours in between combat tours?:rolleyes: Or, slightly less interesting, women could be kept on the PDF reserves unless they volunteer for active IG service. Whatever the reason, the fluff says there are women IG.

I just want to say, I've always thought that was a really silly idea. If Cadia is a bastion world, existing only to provide soldiers etc, then surely they would do something like train the men to fight and forbid the women to do anything but bear children, kind of like the spartans? How do you maximize your fighting capacity if your women are all dead? Cadian women would be a much more valuable resource than men. Then again the Imperium makes some odd choices...

Kahoolin
08-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Oh yeah, I know that there are female guard in the fluff. I just think in the case of Cadia in particular it doesn't make much sense to have the entire population fight when Cadia is meant to churn out an endless stream of soldiers. In WWI almost the entire male population of some Australian states (Western Australia I think?) were wiped out, and that didn't have a long term affect on the population as a whole at all after a few years. If all the women had been killed too, it would have been very different. The fact is men are largely expendable and women aren't.

Spartan women were trained physically, yes, but they didn't go to war. It was more like how samurai class women in medieval Japan were trained with the naginata to defend the home.

I think the whole Cadian thing is just one of those 40k exaggerations. "Billions died! Sicarius personally slew nine carnfexes in the battle! Every single Cadian is in the Imperial Guard!"

Lord Anubis
08-23-2009, 09:04 PM
I think the whole Cadian thing is just one of those 40k exaggerations. "Billions died! Sicarius personally slew nine carnfexes in the battle! Every single Cadian is in the Imperial Guard!"

Like the "every Isreali serves in the military" exaggeration...? ;)

I'm a bit fuzzy on your logic, Kahoolin, why men are expendable but women aren't? Is there some secret way two women can make a baby without a man?

Not to mention your... well, kind of sexist assumption that if women go into combat they'll be wiped out but the men will survive. I've got a step-sister in the Army who'd probably want to have a few words with you about that... ;)

I agree that it would probably be tough to do believable Catachan women, but I don't think it'd be impossible. Some of the Necromunda Eschers look plenty tough. And those female Cadians looked great. I don't think GW would ever add them to the plastic sprue, no, but I think as a metal/ FW option they'd do quite well.

Ahhh, well...

And Gotthammer, another vote for your Princeps. That looks great. :)

Kahoolin
08-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Like the "every Isreali serves in the military" exaggeration...? ;)

I'm a bit fuzzy on your logic, Kahoolin, why men are expendable but women aren't? Is there some secret way two women can make a baby without a man?

Not to mention your... well, kind of sexist assumption that if women go into combat they'll be wiped out but the men will survive. I've got a step-sister in the Army who'd probably want to have a few words with you about that... ;)Heh, looks like I have to explain myself further. I didn't mean to give the impression you have got at all...

In the case of Israel, national service for a few years is not the same thing as being a lifelong soldier, which is how the whole Cadian thing seems to be to me. I could be wrong though, maybe Cadians only serve for three years each and then start being accountants or farmers or what have you.

Sure, you need men to make babies. But you only really need one ;) A village with thirty women and three men can increase it's population a lot more quickly than one with thirty men and three women. I said men were largely expendable, not totally expendable. If you want to create people, women are more valuable than men. You need more of them to do it efficiently.

And I in no way claimed that female soldiers would be killed and males would survive for some reason. I didn't say that anywhere. To go back to my Western Australia example, what I was saying was that if as many WA women had been killed as men the state would have been devastated. If all the women had gone to war in the same units as the men, and all the units had suffered 90% casualties, that means 90% of Western Australian women would have been killed. That would have been a titanic blow to WA's ability to replenish it's population, far worse than if 90% of the men were killed and 100% of the women survived, which is pretty much what happened.

Didn't mean to come across as sexist, just realistic. I know women can fight. I just think on a large scale it is an unacceptable risk to your population unless you happen to be the most powerful mofos in your area. Like Israel :)

eldargal
08-23-2009, 09:52 PM
I think Kahoolin was referring to the ideal man/woman ratio for rapid population growth, which I think is one man to every six women. Reverse that equation and it is very, very bad for population growth. Say in a population of 100 billion (I have no idea what Cadias is?) with 50/50 gender split, you could have an expendable male population of roughly 40bn men.

Edit, Kahoolin has already responded, this is what I get for forgetting to press the submit button.

ChaosLord127
08-23-2009, 11:44 PM
A group of guys got together a while back and commissioned a limited run of Cadian females (Plastic). I saw some on Ebay a while back and they were excellent. You could see they were female, chests bulging under the flak Armour, wider hips, excellent heads.Never seen any since.

A friend of mine has 30 of them. When they are intermixed with the normal Cadians, you can't really tell the difference. You really have to look to find them amongst his platoons. Otherwise, they are really good sculpts, and look very feminine when you know which ones they are.

In answer to the original question, you could basically just put two balls of greenstuff on the chest of a cadian and it will look about as good as any of the sculptors at GW would ever do. :)

CrusherJoe
08-24-2009, 01:32 AM

...and that's preciselywhy it's so grim. ;)

I buy Hasslefree: http://hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/range.php?range_id=60 - Kev scultps some of the best female figures around IMO, it's a shame GW made him quit.

Eh...Kev is very hit and miss with me. He really knocks it out of the park on some of his sculpts, and then on others he'll have a masterpiece in the making and slap something butt-ugly on it and ruin the whole thing. The Kalee series is a prime example of this. Everything is great until you get a look at that "living axe", and realize it should have been called "living a$$". But all things considered Kev is definitely good, even though he tends to sculpt women that are a bit cushy for my taste in imaginary women.

Werner Klocke, on the other hand...he usually gets it right. There's a reason there's an entire sub-genre of minis known as "Klockenbooty". :D

Have you tried http://www.tinsbits.com/webshop/index.php?cPath=7 if you want something tourney legal

Well...yeah...OK...sorta... Except I only see one female head there, and it's got some kind of cybernetic/bionic/replacement eye. Putting more than exactly one of those in your army will pretty much ruin the effect of having "unique females".

A friend of mine has 30 of them. When they are intermixed with the normal Cadians, you can't really tell the difference. You really have to look to find them amongst his platoons. Otherwise, they are really good sculpts, and look very feminine when you know which ones they are.

In answer to the original question, you could basically just put two balls of greenstuff on the chest of a cadian and it will look about as good as any of the sculptors at GW would ever do. :)

...and therein lies the problem, especially in an IG army. When you've got so many models on the tabletop at one time, they all kind of go together following the 3-foot-rule. If you wanted to go through the effort of having women in your army -- and there's no reason you shouldn't, and I would definitely applaud anyone that took the time and dedication to do it -- if you can't really tell they're there, what the point?

Of course you could have scantily-clad women, they would certainly stick out (I forget what RPG had a rule for scantily-clad females called "bulletproof nudity" but it makes me chuckle to think of it even now) but let's face it, scantily-clad doesn't really do anyone any favors. In most cases would be probably come off as cheap cheesecake crap and wind up being either a caricature, disrespectful, or both...and neither of those is what you're going for, probably.

Next up we'll discuss Sisters of Battle: Just WTF is up that one bob 'do for every Sister, hmm?

Also, be glad they haven't done female followers of chaos in 40K. They'd be just like the males...but with topknots.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate those asinine, stupid-looking topknots GW puts on way too damned many Chaos Space Marines? No? Well then...I hate those asinine, stupid-looking topknots GW puts on way too damned many Chaos Space Marines. They just look...bleh. They make the bile rise from my stomach.

TSINI
08-24-2009, 06:48 AM
i think you also have to remember that with a very disciplined culture such as cadia, the idea of poulation growth would also be a disciplined practise.

its probably organised so whenever a regiment come back from the frontline, they are met by an equal or greater number of girls fresh out of college, mass wedding ceremonies, you know, to really get it done and dusted in the few weeks/month or 2 that the soldiers would get for leave. from that point the women would be pregnant and therefore not suited for battle in the frontline for the several year long campaigns.

i mean, i'm not trying to paint a sexist image of the 40k world, but when it comes to long grinding campaigns, you gotta wonder when the troops would even get time to "conjugate" :D

and as raising millions or billions of troops is a mandatory practise, its pretty much got to happen on some enormous and almost clockwork scale.

other planets would probably not be so horrific in their precision. maybe they would have a shorter Tour rate, with soldiers being rotated more quickly from the frontlines, allowing them a more stable homelife - it depends on how wartorn the planet is, the higher the death rate, the higher the population growth needs to be, but the harder it is to achieve because that relies on pulling the troops from the frontlines.

on planets with an extremely high female to male ratio, then the female percentage in the forces would also increase. maybe the culture of the planet would be a seperatist tradition of raising female only regiments.

its a complicated science lol. but yes, i'm all for the female cadian models.

Gotthammer
08-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Gotthammer, thanks for clarifying, and I do agree to some extent. I would rather see few female 40k figures than some awful cheesecakey things. I do think they might stand a chance with a Mordian (or Cadian, possibly) inspired uniform, they seem a little less man-hulky than the Catachans. Love your princeps by the way!

A plastic Mordian kit with some female troopers would be very, very awesome - I always liked the Mordians but I'm loath to collect an all metal army. I've been pondering minis and their proprtions today instead of focusing on work and I don't think it'll ever work to make a female Catachan that fits with the rest of the line and isn't stupid looking.

Thanks for the kudos, I really need to finish my standing princeps at some point (who will be the same person). Modding the chest armour was pretty easy to do with a bit of greenstuff and a press-mold. Head's by Hasslefree.

Eh...Kev is very hit and miss with me. He really knocks it out of the park on some of his sculpts, and then on others he'll have a masterpiece in the making and slap something butt-ugly on it and ruin the whole thing. The Kalee series is a prime example of this. Everything is great until you get a look at that "living axe", and realize it should have been called "living a$$". But all things considered Kev is definitely good, even though he tends to sculpt women that are a bit cushy for my taste in imaginary women.

Werner Klocke, on the other hand...he usually gets it right. There's a reason there's an entire sub-genre of minis known as "Klockenbooty".

My plan is to chop the axe off and replace it - easy enough. I like that Kev sculpts a wide variety of body shapes (both male and female), though I understand the need to have a uniform shape in a unit based game so they look, well, uniform.

Having Klocke sculpt a guardswoman would be exactly what I wouldn't want to see, especially if it was klockenbooty.

gwensdad
08-24-2009, 01:56 PM
A plastic Mordian kit with some female troopers would be very, very awesome - I always liked the Mordians but I'm loath to collect an all metal army. I've been pondering minis and their proprtions today instead of focusing on work and I don't think it'll ever work to make a female Catachan that fits with the rest of the line and isn't stupid looking.

If I had 20 female mordians, I could fill out my current platoon nicely-10 regulars to fill in the 40 troops I've got (creating 5 squads), 6 for a special weapons team (or 2 groups of 3 w/3 metal specials each), and 2 heavy troopers (I've got a spare team).

Hear that GW? You've got 20 mordian figures sold already. Do it.

And maybe if GW decided to do arbites, they could produce some females arbites.

Commissar Lewis
08-24-2009, 07:26 PM
True, seeing some more female models in 40k would be refreshing. Hell, if I want to add some chicks to the Daneland 77th/Catachan113th I just bring my two squads of Sisters of Battle.

That said, I do own the Catachan grenade launcher chick. She has fought alongside the badass straken many times and personally accounts for numerous kills.

Do wish I had gotten that female commissar, though.

Subject Keyword
10-12-2009, 09:36 PM
I play Necrons, and like to say that half of them are female. It's fluffy!

Sangre
10-13-2009, 03:07 AM
I want to buy plastic mordians, I don't care if they've got tits or not.

AnthG
10-13-2009, 10:35 AM
GW did have a go at a Female Commissar back in 1998.
Here is a link to a painted example http://www.blackmoor.ca/gwimpfcommissar1.htm .

I have one kicking around but haven't gotten around to painting as I really can't decide if the troops would take her seriously ........:rolleyes:

Maybe we should be grateful GW didn't continue down this path!!

Marshal2Crusaders
10-13-2009, 11:28 AM
At the Cadia thing:

Everyone on Cadia is trained for combat. Everyone. Men, Women, Children, small rocks, and so on. While women may not be seen in a limited GW model line, you can bet your behind they wont be running around screaming while the Black Legion is coming through their cities.

You know Cadian cities? The ones built specifically to defend invasions. Traffic may suck on tuesdays but I'm sure they are grateful for it whenever a Land Raider can't get through.

SandWyrm
10-13-2009, 02:32 PM

That's why it's such a grim darkness. :)

Melissia
10-13-2009, 04:27 PM
There's all-female regiments out there, and while they're less common than all-male regiments, they exist. That's official fluff, regardless of all the arguments here.

The main reason GW hasn't produced so many female models is because their sculptors suck at producing female models. Just look at the heads of the Sisters of Battle. Especially the Canoness. I find the HELMETS to be more feminine.

Diagnosis Ninja
10-13-2009, 04:50 PM
There's all-female regiments out there, and while they're less common than all-male regiments, they exist. That's official fluff, regardless of all the arguments here.

The main reason GW hasn't produced so many female models is because their sculptors suck at producing female models. Just look at the heads of the Sisters of Battle. Especially the Canoness. I find the HELMETS to be more feminine.
What? You mean like Witchhunter Inquisitor lady? Bloody hell, I think I could sculpt a more feminine hairstyle than that. And my "sculpting" skills go as far as making a potato shaped body for my joke mascot, "Potato Ork"...

Ivarr
10-13-2009, 05:49 PM
I think that GW should go all the way and do an all plastic, all female guard regiment. Something lke the 33rd Amazonian Regiment. They should contract Werner Klocke do sculpt them all...I promise to buy 10k worth of troops alone...then buy enough valkyries to mount the entire army...

In any case, I agree that most of the female models that GW has done to date are bad....though some of the elf/dark elf sorceresses are not all that bad....way to elfie for my tastes but not bad...I think that if the sculptors kept those in mind as a guideline they might be able to turn out a few decent female models.:confused:

Marshal2Crusaders
10-13-2009, 07:24 PM

I'd buy female guard models. I have always wanted to do a halo-esque guard army. I also am pretty sure I read guard recruitment was 50-50 so they don't over draft the male population and end up with low genetic diversity and nit enough dudes to get the job done.

person person
10-13-2009, 09:56 PM
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Cadia#Military

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Cadian_Shock_Troopers

Both say nothing about females, but, "All citizens of the planet must serve at least a four year term in the military,..."

I think there should be some FW or metal upgrade for female cadians too.

sangrail777
10-14-2009, 02:41 PM
I've been a Soldier for over 10 years and have seen plenty of females in uniform and full battle kit. They tend to wear the uniform just fine. Gotta say though that even in the dark at 300 meters I was still able to identify out of a group of Soldiers which where female and male. It tends to be their postures that give them away the most. And the uniform really hides a females body fairly well.
In game terms I don't think it would take much to make all female sprues, Though I agree that the faces would be the biggest problems for them to make.
I don't think it's out of the way to cater some to the female hobbiest. I mean how many times have there been articles about the lack of female players? Maybe something like this could help generate some more support.
Or just for those that would like a more diversified force.(looks wise)

Melissia
10-14-2009, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't mind producing an all-female regiment myself, but I'd actually prefer just a diverse force, half female half male, with a few non-caucasian skin tones thrown in randomly, and so on.

Duke
10-15-2009, 10:46 AM
It is odd to think that GW would have the presence of mind to include female bodies for Eldar, but not for IG... The Guardians and IG/ PDF are very similar (I would think) in diversity.... They pull from the population as a whole. Thats GW for you.

Duke