PDA

View Full Version : Planet Strike and Gate of Infinity - Attacker

Levitas
08-22-2009, 01:40 PM
So planet strike allows models with "Deepstrike" to assault when they land. So is this applicable also to a unit being teleported via the Librarian power Gate of Infinity?

I was hoping to bounce a TH/SS termie squad around the board, with a chaplain attached and able to fleet via Shrikes presence. That gives the unit a staggering 36" charge range (gate 24" - fleet D6" - 6" charge), and allows them to re-roll hits with the chaplain.

Take a handful of librarians and as many terminators as you can fit in.

Plus if you take the observer stratagem you can re-roll the scatter dice. Pass the egg-nog it's Christmas.

All legal??

ThePov
08-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Well, I don't have the Planetstrike book in front of me, but off hand, it all sounds technically legal, if you're going RAW. Since Planetstrike is more about fun than competitiveness, though, I'd make sure your opponent knows and is okay with it if you're planning to use this tactic, especially with more than one unit. It seems fairly exploitative of the rules, so unless it's in good fun with the opponent, it seems kinda lame.

Levitas
08-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Well, I don't have the Planetstrike book in front of me, but off hand, it all sounds technically legal, if you're going RAW. Since Planetstrike is more about fun than competitiveness, though, I'd make sure your opponent knows and is okay with it if you're planning to use this tactic, especially with more than one unit. It seems fairly exploitative of the rules, so unless it's in good fun with the opponent, it seems kinda lame.

I agree, and usually I don't exploit stuff like that. But i'm playing against a very good player with double lash, oblits etc. So I dont feel that bad. Considering i had my marines tabled by turn 4 when playing defender, I figured I needed more up the sleeve when I play attacker next week. I'm a fluff player and he's RAW. its' all good fun, we're regular gamers. :p

Gotthammer
08-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Fraid not as per Planetstrike rulebook page 13 "attacking units with the Deep Strike special rule in their unit entry may assault the turn they enter play".

Also: http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=924

;)

ThePov
08-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Fraid not as per Planetstrike rulebook page 13 "attacking units with the Deep Strike special rule in their unit entry may assault the turn they enter play".

Also: http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=924

;)
Aha. Well, I guess not then. Like I said, don't have Planetstrike on me ATM, so whatever.

PalinMoonstride
08-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Putting a librarian in terminator armor gives him the deep strike rule though doesn't it?

DevilUknow
08-22-2009, 07:38 PM
yeah but dones't "enter play" mean the first time he arrives on the board.

Gate removes him from the board, but not from play, so the Libby returning does not mean he's entering play.

At least I would say so (and I'm all about gating termie libbies all over the damn place)

08-24-2009, 02:17 PM
yeah but dones't "enter play" mean the first time he arrives on the board.

Gate removes him from the board, but not from play, so the Libby returning does not mean he's entering play.

At least I would say so (and I'm all about gating termie libbies all over the damn place)

I started this argument over on Bolter and Chainsword two months ago, there was no conclusion because you run up against the GW failure to clearly/ever define any terms. There's arguments for and against "remove from table" counting as "entering play" when they return, but there's basically zero guidance. For what it's worth I've asked high up GW people and hopefully will be getting some answers, but the reality is it deals with a more fundamental problem of the rules than this specific case, so I'm not optimistic.