PDA

View Full Version : Your 40K army

Pages : [1] 2

Darkseer
07-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Simple thread, open concept.

What army do you play and why.
Also, if you have more than 1 army, why have more than 1 army and which do you love most.

I have Tau (http://warhammer-tau-army.blogspot.com/) and Space Wolves.
I was hooked by the aesthetics of the Tau army as it reminded me of Robotech and playing Turrican as a kid.
My Tau are my main army, even if my Space Wolves are bigger. I got my Space Wolves for those days when you don't want to think so much, but would rather tear things apart.

How about you guys?

crazyredpraetorian
07-29-2009, 12:55 PM
I currently play IG. I really like the mobility that the IG has in the codex. Although, still not as mobile as some armies, they are no longer hampered by the stand and shoot tatics of 3rd Ed.

In the past, I have played IG, Space Wolves(I can't wait for the new codex), Orks, and Codex SMs.

splnes
07-29-2009, 01:08 PM
I've got a Blood Angels army, Bad Moon ork army, Fire Angels army and a hive fleet poo poo tyranid army.

to start i dont like tyranid, not that the models dont look great but its the fluff, i dont like the part of mindless animals. its very one sided with them.

as i pointed out i like to plot out the story even if it does not matter in the game, i like naming important characters and rewarding models that do good in certain games.
My blood angels are my favorite but as i work with these orks i am falling in love.

and me too, i cant wait for the Space wolves codex!!

mkerr
07-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Sounds like a fun thread, Darkseer! When I got "active" in the hobby, I started acquiring armies as fast I could find them. When my free time dried up, I promised myself (and the dragon lady) that I would divest myself of the armies I don't play (I've sold 4 armies and I'm working to sell 4 more), so I'll only list the armies that I can't seem to part with.

1. Relictors -- This is probably my favorite army; it's nicely painted and really huge. Although no army is complete (and I have tons of stuff I want to add), this one sits at about 10,000 points -- it gives me the variety of units I need to make my trademark "crazy lists", lol. Lots of character and options for play -- and the Relictors fluff is as good as it gets in 40K.

2. Imperial Guard -- My Cadian army is a close second (also a gorgeous army). It also sits around 10,000 points. I have about 20 tanks (including some super heavies) which seems to keep me from playing the army as much as I'd like. I really enjoyed exploring the background of the army during the Macharian Crusade (there's a page dedicated to my Cadian XX in the book). I'm also looking forward to trying out the Cadian "Ten-Tens" as a defender in Planetstrike (as soon as I can find an opponent).

3. Blood Angels -- This army is just a blast to play. I can field around 50 jump packs with some decent (and gorgeous) special characters. I keep talking about selling this army, but there's something primal and extremely cool when you see that sea of red power armor on the table.

4. Inquisition -- I really love the forces of the Inquisition and I think I can field everything in both the WH and DH codices (including Inducted Guard and Allied Space Marines). These armies aren't quite to the same level of quality as my other armies, but they are tons of fun to play. I really like having OPTIONS during a game and the Inquisition gives you lots of options, especially Faith. Since the new IG codex came out, I'm having a particularly good time with Orders and Faith in the same army.

5. Chaos Daemons -- This was the last army I put together before taking my break from the game, painted by our own Gentle Ben (they are gorgeous). I had fun playing the army and I look forward to seeing how they work in large games (in particular Planetstrike).

6. Emperor's Children -- Although a little two-dimensional, my EC army was a lot of fun to play (and the pink army really jumps out at you on the table). I've added a few models (bikes, oblits, spawn, etc.) but it really needs a big expansion to be a viable army outside of Apocalypse.

7. Ultramarines -- This is the best looking 40K army I've ever seen, but it's really small and I've been unable to match the colors and paint style with other commissions. I most often use it as an Allied Space Marine army, but I'm quickly shifting toward the "just sell it and expand your other armies" frame of mind.

8.Tyranids -- I have an monstrous Hive Fleet Behemoth army (by far, the best army ever painted by Blue Table). I had it painted as the companion to my Captain Invictus Ultramarine army because I love the Battle of Macragge stuff. I used the army a lot for tournaments (even going to the point of adding another half dozen TMCs to an already packed army).

Dosadi
07-29-2009, 01:47 PM
My first army was Eldar way back in Rogue Trader. I still collect, paint and play them today. I love the background of a dying race whose best years are thousands of years in the past. I love the Jes Goodwin designs and I love how the army plays on the battlefield; small elite forces of deadly warriors whose synergy is what makes them so powerful. I like the idea of having an army that's older than most players at my local store. :cool: Right now it sits at over 10,000 points painted.

My second army is Orks. I love the models and the insane fluff from second edition. It’s a great army for going nuts with conversions and being creative with. It’s also the best army to play when you are drunk. Yelling and rolling handfuls of dice is made for win. I've got about 4000pts. painted and so many more un-painted or un-assembled.

I've also got a sizable Space Marine army, but don't play with it anymore.

I made a Cadian army when the 3rd edition Guard codex came out, but sold it a few years ago. I kinda regret selling it with the awesome new codex released recently.

Last Year I started a Chaos Marine army. Red Corsairs! I love the versatility of the codex and the simple fact that IMO Chaos Marines are the best troop type in the game. Pound for pound, nothing can touch a chaos marine. I love the background of the Red Corsairs and the Badab War. I’ve recently put together a codex space marine army of terminators and scouts that will be painted up in Red Corsair colours. The plan is to combine the two armies for games of Apocalypse.

I also have a small IG army with Ordo Hereticus allies. A Black Ops style strike force. This has allowed me to delve deep into my bitz box as much of the troops are made up of old Necromunda, metal guard and RT era models. I’m still working out the kinks in this army.

Dosadi

Darkseer
07-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Woah, some of you guys have a lot of stuff!

I got into the habit of selling off armies a few years back when I probably should have stuck with them. But then, they all needed a lot of work to fit into the new codex or new edition of 40K.

Paul
07-29-2009, 05:30 PM
I am a self-proclaimed treadhead, and so obviously the new guard codex provides me with a method to let fly with my obsession. I wuv them, and with 9 battletanks and 3 IFVs it is scary to see, even if a little hampered by my own tactical ineptitude.

clkeagle
07-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Woah, some of you guys have a lot of stuff!

I got into the habit of selling off armies a few years back when I probably should have stuck with them. But then, they all needed a lot of work to fit into the new codex or new edition of 40K.

Selling extras is a habit I have yet to get into, but probably should. For 40k I have the following armies:

- I am currently in the third iteration of my Dark Angels army, which is playable as battle company, Deathwing, or any mix with scouts/armory/techmarines. My Ravenwing portion is fully assembled, but painting has yet to begin. Everything else, more or less, is at least painted to tabletop standards.

- I have 500 points of Executioners painted to a tabletop standard, veteran of six skirmishes already. Still need some finish work.

- Even if I run my Executioners up to 2000 points and completely flesh out my Dark Angels, I have more than enough marine bits and strippable eBay lots to form the core of two armies. One is going to be a gunline-centric force based entirely on 2nd Edition marines. The other will be scout- and assault-centric, and have considered Wolves, Crimson Fists, Howling Griffons (so someone else can play against my Executioners for the Badab book), Fleshtearers, and White Panthers.

- I also have about a hundred Rogue Trader-era Imperial Guard still on sprue, and a wide assortment of Chaos Marauder bits. This will eventually form my Traitor Guard army.

- Finally, I have a wide assortment of Orks, ranging anywhere from fully painted to still on sprues, Rogue Trader to Gorkamorka to Black Reach. I'm probably going to split them into two armies; the RT-era mess will be redone as Bad Moons, while the modern Gorkamorka/Black Reach orks will become Evil Sunz.

And that doesn't even TOUCH my Epic collection. :)

Beamo
07-30-2009, 02:55 PM
I play Space Wolves, Daemons, and Chaos Marines.

I've played CSM since 2nd ed, SW since 4th, and Daemons since they came out.

I try to play armies that have differing styles to them, and in that vein hope to start up some guard in the future.

Aventine
07-30-2009, 04:08 PM
I have Eldar, Chaos Demons, Pre-Heresy Alpha Legion, Imperial Guard, Lamenters, and my now antiquated Lost and the Damned.

Currently my Lamenters are my favorites, but my Demons are a close second due to their entertaining play style.

bullymike
07-30-2009, 08:33 PM
guard, chaos, space wolves, eldar, witch hunters

CrusherJoe
07-31-2009, 01:24 AM
Ultramarines and CSM in playable form.

Star Phantoms in progress.

Witch Hunters in planning stages. :)

The CSM army is in transition, though, and will actually not see the light of day for the rest of the year most likely, as most of the models are currently taking a Simple Green bath...

rabscutle
07-31-2009, 07:10 AM
Orks what need to be painted
Khorne what needs a couple of Land Raiders

Bulwark
07-31-2009, 07:29 AM
I have a Space Wolf army, very large ork army, Witchhunters (Arbites), Necrons, and Howling Griffons.
Of all of them, the orks are the most fun to play, by far. Necrons fall somewhere on the oppopsite end of the spectrum.

Khestra the Unbeheld
07-31-2009, 08:55 AM
I play Black Legion Chaos SMs, and I'm readying my Nova Devils Codex SMs for play. That said, I'm currently sucking on the un-funness of the current CSM Codex so I can't honestly say I'm enjoying playing with them at the moment, but when I do have fun with them it's usually epic. I haven't fielded the SMs yet, so n/a.

Eldanesh
07-31-2009, 09:35 AM
Star Phantoms in progress.

Man, I'm glad someone liked my color scheme for these guys.

1. Eldar - My first love. I own more Eldar and have collected them longer than any other army I've owned.

2. Tyranids - Every model is painted.

3. World Eaters

4. Genestealer Cult / Traitor IG - Not terrible useful in tournaments, but a lot of fun for narrative games.

5. Star Phantoms - Made them from 2 AoBR sets with a Ravenwing box, a Razorback I won at a tourney and a mish mash of old school Marines I've had lying around forever.

6. I own some Tau that I bought because my daughter wanted to play 'em.

Darkseer
07-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Eldanesh, welcome to the boards.

I remember you from the golden age of Eldaronline, before it was ruined by too many mods, too many screaming kids and too many emos.

You will probably remember me as The Mighty Brain, who was the first of the old mods to be unceremoniously ousted as the new dawn of screaming teenagers was ushered in to the whailing tunes of My Chemical Romance.

FirstLegion
07-31-2009, 09:51 AM
I've got Demons, Eldar, Black Templar, Necrons, Tyranids, Blood Angels, Deathwing, Macharian Armored Company, Red Scorpions, Tau... I think that's it.

BTB
07-31-2009, 11:09 AM
I play Space Wolves - largely because I like the fluff :)

TrentL
07-31-2009, 11:23 AM
My main army is Raven Guard Space Marines, simply because I love their fluff, and their tactics. I try and create fluff competitive lists that don't always use Shrike, but feather fast hard hitting miniatures. I only field the odd Landraider, I don't use the other SM tanks at all.

Soon as I'm mostly done with my RG I'm going to start my Imperial Guard, I chose them because I wanted to have a good "section" of the Imperium for team games with some of my friends who can't afford to play. (Whats better than SM teaming with IG for fluff anyway)

I haven't really started my IG army other than buying 6 boxes of the 20man Squads before they were sold out locally.

Nidpenguin
07-31-2009, 11:25 AM
I have 3, MAYBE 4,000 points of Nids. And I've got the Chaos Daemons Codex, might make a small army of them.

Chaosgerbil
07-31-2009, 11:29 AM
I have painted armies of:

Orks (10,000+ points!) Mostly Evil Sunz with a few Bad Moons and Death Skulls.

Chaos Marines (Death Guard, Word Bearers, World Eaters, Flawless Host, The Scourge)

Space Wolves

Chaos Daemons

Traitor Imperial Guard

Lost and The Damned units, such as one hundred something mutants, 3-4 dozen chaos spawn, 2-3 dozen gibbering horde bases, etc.

Tyranids

Eldar(Ulthwe, many units need paint jobs)

For fantasy, I have the start of a Tzeentch mortal chaos army, a bunch of outdated random empire figures and bits, some Wood Elves under construction, and misc. goblins and dwarves.

Durfast Spiritwolf
07-31-2009, 11:31 AM
Space Wolves and, errr, that's it - lots and lots of Space Wolves...

chachi
07-31-2009, 11:32 AM
I play Chaos Space Marines... I was gifted the first 1500 points, so it was a no-brainer to expand from there. So far they've been fun to model, paint, and play, and I'm the only Chaos player in my small group of gaming friends...

HighLordUlrik
07-31-2009, 11:32 AM
I have 750 of Orks and 3500 of Space Wolves

Ooorky
07-31-2009, 11:36 AM
I have a 3000 pts Angry Marines army (based on Black Templar 'dex), 'cause they are cool :)
I also have ~3000 pts daemonhunter army, but i always lost with them, so they are waiting for the new codex in a box.

DuskRaider
07-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Death Guard - I started out playing these guys 8 years back. At that point I only had one friend playing and knew little about the fluff, but they looked the coolest. Now here I am STILL playing them regularly and are easily my favorite force.

Renegade Militia - This was my second force to be collected. I haven't really used them in games much since the codex change and lack of tanks to play them now ( thanks GW :rolleyes: ), but I loved the idea of thousands of regular humans, tainted by the touch of Chaos, following my Death Guard onto the battlefield. I then started to branch out on their fluff more and made them an alliance force for both Khorne and Nurgle. This was back when IA: 5 was released, so I had no clue they were actually going that way with the storyline either, haha. They're mainly for Apocalypse, as most of their tanks are super heavies.

Chaos Daemons - I LOVE this army. I guess I technically started collecting these the same time as Death Guard, mainly to use the Plaguebearers with my Plague Marines in games (back when you could). I've branched out to make my Daemon army Nurgle and Khorne as well, playing on the theme I started with my Renegade Militia. They get extensive play when I feel like taking a break from my Death Guard.

World Eaters - I just started playing these guys. I've been collecting the FW kits for about 6 months and building up to make a good force. I do enjoy their playstyle a lot, but I've also decided to make them more themed on Khorne's aspect of battle honor and victory at all costs, thus they do use Tactical and Assault squads. They also wear their Legion colors. They're more or less the final piece in the theme I have going with all of my armies, to make a giant Nurgle and Khorne Apocalypse force.

I think that just about does it!

M3mph1s
07-31-2009, 11:42 AM
I made a Sisters of Silence model recently, and I suddenly got the inspiration to do a 2000 pt force 'count as' Witch Hunters.

Besides that I have a True-Scale Iron Hands army and a generic codex Custom Space Marine Chapter.

I always like testing the kind of things people usually don't do, like Unification Wars Proto-Astartes, Pre-Heresy legions (though they're a lot more popular now), Rogue Trader security forces, mercenary armies ect.

Vepr
07-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Well technically I have 4 armies. Marines, Tyranids, Orks, and Necrons. The Orks and Necrons truly belong to my boys. Tyranids are my main army. I love the look and horrific background of the nids as an unfeeling, unrelenting and ravenous horde that sees everything else in the universe as food. The marines I do not play as much and they are mainly there for something to do if I get a little bored with my nids. :)

Soundgear
07-31-2009, 11:48 AM
I am currently running an Ultramarine army and a Space Wolf army mainly built from 90's models when I first started collecting. Honestly, I am a bit surprised by how many SW armies are being posted here.

Arhurt
07-31-2009, 11:55 AM
I play Necrons because I like the feeling of the army, their background andespecially the model range.

Of course by model range I meant I love to convert them and scratch build around the theme. Here's my roughly under 2000pts forces:

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu75/arhurt2/Necronstuff/Army001.jpg

* Necrosphere (Monolith counts-as)
* Necron Lord on Destroyer Throne (Lord on Destroyer body conversion)
* Necron Lord
* 3 Wraiths (Scratch)
* 30 Necron Warriors
* Mourner (counts-as 7 Pariahs)
* 8 Flayed Ones
* 6 Destroyers
* Tomb Guardian (counts as Tomb Spider)
* 12 Scarab Swarms

For more detail. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189052)

Hal'jin
07-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Sheesh, you people have alot of stuff. I only have my Imperial Guard (http://42ndcadian.blogspot.com). It covers entire two shelves in the wardrobe and takes a bit of third, but last time I calculated it turned aroun only about 2700 points. Gah.

And uh. I'm going to start Space Wolves as soon as they come out most likely. Nothing like a flood of newcomers to your 10 years old army huh?

Alfonzo
07-31-2009, 11:58 AM
I started with White Scars because I thought they looked awesome (this was back when the 3rd edition index astartes article was current). Wound up messing them up so bad as a newbie painter that I gave them up.

Changed to Necrons because I wanted a tough infantry army. They're currently shelved due to the 5th edition rules changes.

Currently I'm doing generic Space Marines with my own paint scheme because I know SM will always be the first codex updated.

I'm hoping to branch out into Orks or possibly wait for Dark Eldar to be re-done.

Sansa
07-31-2009, 11:59 AM
I play Tyranids primarily. I don't know why, but horde armies, regardless of what I am playing (computer games or table top), appeal to me. So they were the obvious choice for when I started.
I also have some Space Marines, though it is a tiny force.
I also collect some Eldar and Tau, mainly because I really enjoy their fluff and their aesthetics. I enjoy everything about the Eldar, and I really enjoy the Tau troop choices. Their mechs are dull and boring to me however.

Ismael Blutstein
07-31-2009, 12:02 PM
Well hello everybody.
I play Grey Knights and Renegades. Both Armys are of nearly equal Size ~ 7000K . I´m stuck with my Knights since 1999.... and i still love them.

Darkseer
07-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Okay people!

Arhurt has taken this thread up to the next level and you know what that means -it's time for pictures!

Let's keep it to 1 each to stop this thread getting cluttered.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn121/AMBSphotobucket/Tau%20Empire/Tau_Broadsides1.jpg

ChrisW
07-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Hi All,

My first army was Dark Angels. i was convinced to take a space marine army because it was the only 'race' not yet represented in my group. DA was chosen mainly because i didn't particularly like any of the others i found from the 'red book', the short story 'Deathwing' also gave a nice shove that way.

i've since succomed to Chaos and enjoy slightly under 5000 pts of Chaos space marines and Daemons. also started collecting some Red Scorpions..... apparently i can't get out of power armour :P

as for pictures, i can't choose. photobucket (http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/Romulas/)

-Chris

CrusherJoe
07-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Man, I'm glad someone liked my color scheme for these guys.

Ah ha! That was you! Yes, very good color scheme (though a bit of a pain to find the "right" colors for highlighting turquoise :) ). I'll post up some pictures when I have more units done so you can see what I've done with your colors...once I settled on a palette it has begun to come together quite nicely.

Erazoender
07-31-2009, 12:15 PM
I started with a small Tyranid army back near the end of 3rd edition. When 4rth edition was released, I got a large Space Marine army. It was initially painted horribly because back then I was around 10. I then switched back to my Tyranids, increasing my swarm to over 7000 points. After this, I got my 2500 pt Lizardmen army, and then my Moria Goblin army. I recently took on the task of stripping my original marines, and now they are being turned into space wolves.

So I have:

2000 points of Space Wolves
7000 + points of Tyranids
2500 points of Lizardmen
1000 points of Moria Goblins

iluvatar18
07-31-2009, 12:21 PM
I play Necrons, Space Marines, Guard, and Tyranids.

Necrons because I've taken it upon myself to prove to the world they CAN win. And I won my last local tournament with them :D

Space Marines because I want an army GW will always support just in case. Plus I love Drop Pods.

Imperial Guard because I've played them forever and they were like my first army.

Tyranids, because the first model I bought was a Ravener back in like 2003 and I've just built up over time really not expecting for anything to come of it, but I've got an army, so hey!

w1zzard
07-31-2009, 12:22 PM
I have some Chaos Space Marines(2000+ points). I play 40k only six months, and my army is in need of painting.

Slaanesh
07-31-2009, 12:28 PM
well i have

7000 Points of Eldar
2500 Points of Marines
2500 Points of Demons

so a total of 12,000 40k points...im hopeing to get my eldar up to 10k!

Gotthammer
07-31-2009, 12:31 PM
My first army was Dark Angels way back in RT days, and I still occasionally add to them.

My current two main forces are my titan legion (two so far!) and my Rainbow Warriors:

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r314/Gotthammer/40k/Comp5-1.jpg

I'm having alot of fun with them - they're an official chapter that has no background, so I can be lazy with the colour scheme and logo and make my own fluff (http://collegiatitanica.blogspot.com/search/label/Rainbow%20Warriors). I do get grief and cracks about them, but also alot of positives, but I don't really care either way.

But I'm a Marine player to the core, though them being so common makes me waver a bit and get tempted by other armies, so my other forces include, Eldar, Orks, IG - the same three for AI, and humans and elves for Blood Bowl, and Guard in Epic and Space Hulk....

Armage
07-31-2009, 12:49 PM
I have a few armies:

3000pts Tyranids
3500-4000pts Eldar
1000pts Dark Eldar
1500pts Imperial Guard

My current projects are the Dark Eldar and IG. I'm also slowly starting an Emperor's Children force.

Col.Gravis
07-31-2009, 12:52 PM
My Praetorian Imperial Guard are my main force, something in the region of 10,000pts of models, far from all assembled though, I also quite often play Sisters of Battle.

crazyredpraetorian
07-31-2009, 12:53 PM
Okay people!

Arhurt has taken this thread up to the next level and you know what that means -it's time for pictures!

Let's keep it to 1 each to stop this thread getting cluttered.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn121/AMBSphotobucket/Tau%20Empire/Tau_Broadsides1.jpg

Very nice, I like the colors alot. Great job.

spydertau
07-31-2009, 12:56 PM
I started with Tau and really enjoyed getting to know the army. I played it almost extensivly for about a year when I picked up Witchhunter's from a friend of mine. My current favorite army is Orks.

My armies:

Tau: 4,000 points
Sisters: 3,000 points
Black Templars: 3,000 points
Chaos Deamons: 1,000 points
Chaos SMs: 2,000 points
Orks: 7,000 points

Artein
07-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Sisters of Battle.
Planning to go with CSM or maybe Chaos Renegades....

Venom Eddie
07-31-2009, 01:03 PM
3500 pt Chaos (largely plague marines and Khorne berserkers)
1500 pt IG because I realized how much I love tanks :D

Akkon Sek
07-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Renegade Marines (Nephilim) - My obsession. Meticulous painting, customizing and repainting (of the same army - drives my regular opponent nuts). Tons of overly-descriptive background that only I care about. Gone to great and unnecessary lengths to remove daemonic elements with counts-as models, combat drugs, yadda yadda. Its sad how much effort I put into this army. Forge World knows me by name.

Orks - Good, straightforward fun. Hard to take yourself too seriously when playing the Green Horde.

Kroot Mercenaries (500pts) - Because its kooky. Because its different. Because Kompletely Kroot's rules are second-to-none.

-A

wash-away
07-31-2009, 01:09 PM
right now i have eldar, marines, and GK/Guard. but i'm selling everything and starting over with painting. i love how eldar have so many ways you can paint them it never gets boring. not to mention how fast they can go.

zombied00d
07-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Over 10k of guard
4k of 13th Company/Space Wolves
5k of Orks

All of it needs paint.

Oh and I'm starting a Krieg army. W00t!

Big Jim
07-31-2009, 01:12 PM
I started with Space Wolves in RT, and have collected many armies in the years since. It has come full circle as I am rebuilding my Wolves so I can retire my old army that has miniatures that are older than most of my opponents.

Currently I have the following armies in various states of progress.
Space Wolves
Eldar
Chaos Marines
Steel Legion IG
Traitor guard
Nids
Necrons
Space Sharks
White Scars

Rissan4ever
07-31-2009, 01:32 PM
I play Imperial Guard. I like them because they're human. They're not genetically modified supermen, or aliens, or mutated maniacs; they're just men. The idea of common soldiers fighting for their lives in a universe full of hostile monstrosities is very compelling to me. The fluff is the point for me, and the Guard have great fluff.

I also like the Guard because the minis are cool. I got into the hobby with Space Marines back in the Rogue Trader days. I thought about a Guard army because I like the fluff, but the original Guard models just didn't do it for me. Then the 3rd ed metal Cadians came along, and suddenly I really wanted them. Now I have 130 Guardsmen, plus change, and several tanks.

My army is now half mech and half on foot with armor support and some Storm Troopers and Ogryns thrown in for fun. I've recently fallen in love with Veterans since the new codex, and I've re-organized half the men into Vet squads.

Herald of Nurgle
07-31-2009, 01:32 PM
I am a complete noob at this hobby, starting in 2007. In this time, I have collected a few key armies:

1. Necrons - First army, actually. I just loved the image of them, and since I think 3 quarters of my friends at that point were playing Space Marines, they just felt, y'know, different? I got them up to 2,000 points before quitting.

2. Chaos Space Marines - I started these September of the same year - yes, when the new Codex was released. I currently own something like 10,000 points - of various gods. I've made it a point to only have two characters - Typhus (of course) and Abaddon (for Planet Killer)

3. Eldar - I have a small Eldar force finally being painted. In total, with upgrades, I have a 2,500 point force of Mechanised/Biker

4. Chaos Daemons - Just as a matter of principle, I have a small Khorne force of 1,500 points. I only use them in Apocalypse or Planetstrike

5. Minor Armies. I currently own 3 armies which are under 1,000 points - Space Marines, Tyranids, and Tau. Not really interested in any of them, really.

Brambleten
07-31-2009, 01:35 PM
I have 3 - Soul Drinkers with a small Imperial Fist contingent, Tau, and Imperial Guard.

Soul Drinkers - I liked the books, so my Dark Angels got a makeover. to try and keep true to what the books say, the terminators i use are either painted as or going to be painted as Imperial fists, along with dreadnoughts and other things, although i do have plans for a deathwatch style sterguard squad. plays under DA, Smurf or Chaos Dexes.

Tau - My Original army, which got expanded by lucky breaks at carboot sales and other means of rehoming unwanted fish in cardboard armour. not used as often as my marines, and are starting to lose their purple armour in favour of Catachan Green armour and Graveyard earth fatigues.

Guard - The Schindelheighst 36th. my current project, currently standing at under 500 points, but could be playable at 1000. red fatigues and space puppy blue carapace, they are mainly a dress regiment. bought because i wanted a change from power armour, and the tau had fallen out of favour.

all in all, i can probably field around 7-8k points if pushed, but that will constantly go up :)

Oldgrue
07-31-2009, 01:55 PM
1: Tyranids - There's a moral purity to Tyranids - gods and politics don't count, only the calories.

2: Dark Eldar - Picked up this army to force myself to play better in 3/4. Hate the warrior models. Relegated this army almost exclusively to cityfight.

3: Imperial Guard - The Steel Legion models dragged me into this. Now I'm just cleaning up how many heavy weapons I have, and explaining to half the platoon why they have to walk. Thanks Robin!

4: Sisters of Battle - Originally an army for my wife - girls with flamethrowers. She's since retired from 40k, and this gets broken out for fun more than anything else.

5: Emperor's Children - PINK. Noise marines bow before the Ayatollah of Rocknrollah! Pending total refit after seeing a similar idea executed better.

Dingus
07-31-2009, 02:29 PM
One of my armies:

http://users.on.net/~dingus/WH40K/14052009366.jpg

Since the picture I have added another Valkyrie, 20 guardsmen, 1 Banewolf, 1 LR Eradicator, 1 LR Punisher and a Platoon HQ all painted.

I also have 3k points of Blood Angels painted.

Magos
07-31-2009, 02:35 PM
I have a 2,000 or so point army of Ad-Mech Guard I am working on.

I also have a 3,000 or so point Death Spectres army.

I sort of have a necron army, but will sell that or keep it, depending on the codex.

Arschbombe
07-31-2009, 02:41 PM
The army I play now is Blood Angels. I love the furioso dreadnought and I love jump packs. Death Company are cool too.

Armies I have under construction and why I like them:

Word Bearers. These are the only Chaos guys I can understand. They see the gods of chaos as the power of the universe and spread the word to the fools who don't see it.

Nids. They are the irresistable force that will destroy the galaxy and move on. There's no stopping them.

Tau. The only army that makes any rational sense and fights like a modern army would.

Joey Boor
07-31-2009, 02:41 PM
Space Marines, Imperial Guard and Witch Hunters. I got the marines from a 4th edition starter I got for free. I started Imperial Guard because I played against them and borrowed a guy's extra guardsmen and liked the army. I got the inquisition because I got the Codex for free but that army is limited to an inquisitor and some assassins.

xarius
07-31-2009, 02:47 PM
i currently play guard as they most fit my squat army but i play orks for competitive games

evil_bryan
07-31-2009, 02:50 PM
My first army was Eldar and it's where I first learned the basics of assembly and painting. Since the game play came later, I quickly determined that I had the wrong models to match my preferred playing style and I ended up selling them.

My next army was Black Templar. With their new codex (at the time) I thought they would be a great army to play. With about 6000 points (2500 painted), I find them to be a competitive army in 5th edition and still have love for them.

My current project is Chaos Daemons and I'm finishing the painting of 2000 points for our annual club challenge tournament. The Daemons are a random bunch and bring a unique approach to playing 40K.

The incomplete projects include a pile of Chaos Space Marines and lots of old metal Imperial Guard. I doubt the CSM will ever see the light of day, but the Guard will be the new project for 2010.

ZenPaladin
07-31-2009, 03:04 PM
So I started with Rogue Trader with some of my friend playing the Eldar... this was middle school now you mind. The army has since vanished.

Then around the time Starship Troopers came out I purchased an Imperial Guard force. That army was sold.

Then right before the comming of 5th I picked up a Necron force. I'm playing them for fun still.. but when I got bored of phasing out I picked up...

The Tau! And a big thanks to Darkseer for insperation and an awesome blog to read.

Lord Inquisitor
07-31-2009, 03:49 PM
I play Guard because I don't like the invincible men with awesome weapons walking up and just doing whats expected and killing everything. Batman is my favorite "super hero". I love to see my 100 Guardsmen lined up for a good ole charge against all odds and hopefully come out on top. I always always try to use an Inquisitor because he is the epidamy of what a normal man can be in the Imperium. He is just a normal dude going up against the greatest horrors in the galaxy, and winning hopefully.

warpcrafter
07-31-2009, 04:08 PM
I have Orks and Chaos Space Marines, and a massive Lost and the Damned army. Currently I only play the Orks because of the awful Chaos Space Marines codex. The Ork codex is one of the most interesting out now, unless you like the imperial bias at GW. What I really want is an Adeptus Mechanicus army so I can corrupt it.

Weekend Democracy
07-31-2009, 04:20 PM
I started playing Chaos in 4th edition with a Death Guard list (back when they had a modified army list). These days I play a primarily Nurgle themed Chaos army owning roughly 3500 points.

Aristus
07-31-2009, 04:37 PM
Im playing Space marines and which hunters as it is right now.

Don't have any perticullar reason why im playing space marines other than im a true imperial fan :D
I do prefer which hunters over SM but with their old codex and full metal range i growed tired of them, true story =/

butcherbolivar
07-31-2009, 04:43 PM
World Eaters Mechanized speartip, Mordian Iron Guard Combined arms company, Blood axe Blitz brigade, Ulthwe Eldar war host, Daemonhunters strike force, Tyranids Hivefleet Loxosceles reclusak (fiddle back spider) mixed assault swarm. They are all 1500 to 2250 points.

Wolfguard Gnarl
07-31-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm currently building a space wolves army, I cant wait for october lol, and my second army will be orks.

the_puritan
07-31-2009, 05:02 PM
I started with Marines back in high school (around '94) but took a lengthy break from the game after a year or so of playing casually. I always had a soft-spot for Tyranids and, 2 years ago, got back in the game with them.

Since then, I've hit the hobby and local tourney scenes pretty hard.

All told, I've got about 6000 points of Nids, 3000 points of Marines, 3000 points of Tau, and a newly cracked Necron Warrior Phalanx (about 1750 points).

I'm also a recovering Forgeworld junkie... with a Hierophant, Tigershark A-1-0, Barraccuda, and more shoulderpads/doors/upgrades than you can shake a stick at.

Kill Screen
07-31-2009, 05:03 PM
I play Chaos Marines because it allows the most freedom while painting. I paint each fig like a general and can not stomach that much repetition. I finished 1/2 of a Tyranid army before I realized this.

doctorahhnold
07-31-2009, 05:13 PM
I used to play blood angels way back when i was in middle school and high school 90-95 (doesnt that show my age) then got out of the hobby for a long time 13 years. Recently got back and involved in the hobby and decided on black templars. something about the whole knights theme got me hooked on them. plus i love to close assault and they seem to be the troops to do it with.

Im going to pick a second army soon to start on...leaning towards chaos space marines. still undecided though.

TopToffee
07-31-2009, 05:16 PM
1. Relictors -- This is probably my favorite army; it's nicely painted and really huge. Although no army is complete (and I have tons of stuff I want to add), this one sits at about 10,000 points -- it gives me the variety of units I need to make my trademark "crazy lists", lol. Lots of character and options for play -- and the Relictors fluff is as good as it gets in 40K.

Sweet. I'm actually in the process of putting together a Relictors force at the moment, after 13 years out of the hobby.

Out of interest, whereabouts have you read fluff on them? I know the basics, but haven't seen anything in "official" sources.

Kriegmeister
07-31-2009, 05:19 PM
I got started when a friend of mine brought his space marine codex to school in 5th grade and I thought the models looked so cool so I had to get some. I didn't even know there were armies besides marines and I picked up a box of blood claws and the space wolves codex.

After years of horrid paintjobs I started a death guard army that I love and still play with to this day. Once the new Dark Angels codex came out I began playing that and the same thing happened this year with the awesome imperial guard codex.

My favorite army by far is the death guard. They are so resilient in the game that it's basically unfair! I really love the background for my dark angels but their performance as of late has been lackluster. Hopefully some day in the future they will stand proud and serve the Imperium again. Until then, some tyranids or eldar seem like a fun force to divulge in.

War009
07-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Play Crimson Fists love the fluff and the old image off the Rouge trader cover.

Also have a very large Sisters of Battle army (around 6000pts of just sisters of battle) and Loved them since 1998 beautiful models and Nuns with Guns is such a wicked concept

Also working on a 10th company scout space marine army (heavies are dakka preds and a whirlwind)-almost an all infiltraring/ flanking army

and a course black legion - cause Abaddon is a Beast and you have to have an evil army

ebolus
07-31-2009, 05:29 PM
This thread is growing and expanding with new posts almost every second now - just like my infested Plague Marines :)

I have nearly 4000 points of an almost pure Death Guard army.
Next project is an IG - the evil ones.

Played Nurgle for 15 months. Love the fluff, the looks, and the convertion possibilities and painting.

Our 2000 points of Necrons are having sweet dreams

Vikin
07-31-2009, 05:39 PM
3000 Points of chaos marines, 90% is painted still working on the rest. Every time my army is fully painted i order some new things and have to start all over again :)

gold 'orn silvateef
07-31-2009, 05:55 PM
I played necrons for about 2 years, had about 2500 points, like 90 something % painted. I liked necrons because I like the undead and the "We'll Be Back" rule felt a lot like some necromancer thing. But the tin heads lack of character bored me.

Now I play orks!!! I love them because of their fluff, their crazy personality and their playing style. I also love painting an army where none of the units have to look alike... and none of them do, it's orky! :D

whitewolfmxc
07-31-2009, 05:59 PM
I have Space wolves as my main army , as well as a separate SW 13th company army based on EOT codex , and a Tyranid army lol

Lord of Deeds
07-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Played Space Marines ever since I first got in the hobby back in the RT days. Though been in an out. Dark Angels were my primary up until 3rd Ed. Since then Imperial Fists and now Crimson Fists. Also have about 2000 pts of orks that I have been having fun with and just for the heck of it started putting together some Nids.

Also have some square base stuff, dwarfs and Dark Elves, but they are mostly gathering dust right now with 40K being the main draw for me right now.

Rupert
07-31-2009, 06:07 PM
I started Eldar a few years back and didn't do well with them. I then moved to Templars and since then when I was bored of painting Templars I started Chaos marines and random bits and pieces everywhere. Then with the Release of Apocalypse I started Imperial guard with 5000pts in mind.

Valdore
07-31-2009, 06:30 PM
I play Guard, and do so because I have played them for . . . oooo, 7 years now maybe, since third ed.

However, I originally played them because of the tanks, and also because it is nice to see an army of normal humans in such a diverse and conflicted universe, and because I didn't want to go down the route of: 'first army, marines'!

GVEGames
07-31-2009, 06:40 PM
I play Imperial Guard and Inquisition. I love the uniqueness of Inquisition units, but they seem to be getting weaker with each new codex that is released. Imperial Guards as allies (or Imperial Guard with WH or DH allies) help shore up some of their weaknesses. Planetstrike has renewed my interest in a straight DH army though, so I may end up playing them a bit more in the next few months.

The Mystic
07-31-2009, 06:48 PM
C:SM, Dark Angels and Orks!

Always loved the fluff of DA's, codex marines gives me a bit more flexability and Orks are just plain fun!:D

oni
07-31-2009, 08:14 PM
I have several armies, but most of them are still in boxes unfortunately.

1. Space Marines - I love 'em, they're the icons of Warhammer 40,000.
2. Orks - They're zany and fun.
3. Imperial Guard - Still in boxes, but they're an army I've always wanted to try and with the new codex and such I figured now was as good a time as any to make my purchase.
4. Tyranids - Still in boxes. To be perfectly honest I never really had much love for bugs (plastic or real), but with the release of Planetstrike they became more appealing as a fun army to play the role of attacker.

I have multiple armies for two reasons. One, It helps me to learn the game as a whole much better than what I would with a single army. Two, It's nice to switch things up and to also have something extra on hand for friends to use.

Greatereldanesh
07-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Eldar, Nids, Zoats, Genestealer Cult, Dark Eldar and Nercons. In this order

Starting a new IG army and Sisters of Battle

My aim is to have all the armies.

I field each army depending on my mood and who I'm playing. The most difficult part is keeping track of each armies specialties.

captain_sketch
07-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Blood Angels

necrons

Collected my Blood Angels for a long time. Started Building cubes for my necrons to symbolize destroyers and heavy destroyers and monoliths . I'm really happy with my decision for necrons!!! I made a killer spider destroyer lord who's my favorite model ever! Gettin better with them too!

MrGiggles
07-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Well, I started with Orks and honestly, 4500 points later, they're still in progress. You can just model so many goofy things for an Ork army, that it's nice to just sit down and convert or paint something fun and Orky every now and then. To start with, I basically went through the various armies with my friend Nic who'd played for years. At the time, I wanted something fun that would look good with a bad paint job (since I was just starting out on the painting front too). I was also more interested in troops than vehicles. After going through all of the armies, I was looking at Space Wolves, Orks, Witch Hunters or Guard. They were the ones that seemed cool to me. Two things finally won it for the Orks, the old Mobbing Up rule (which I've yet to actually use since the new book came out by the time I had enough Boyz to take advantage of it) and the fact that the Orks were the Psychic Hippies of the Galaxy. After looking at the range, I realized that the models are just fun. I've always treated them like a comic relief army and I've not been disappointed.

Now, with my Orks being a big army, I also wanted something small. While I love playing the Green Tide (and my friends love seeing how many Orks they can mulch), that's not a list I'm going to bring to tourneys or events at the FLGS. There are just too many models there to even begin to set up and play effectively. To that end, I wanted a small army which played differently than my existing one. With general wierdness not being a bad thing either, I went for Witch Hunters. I'd always loved to models in that range from the Sisters to the Inquisitorial Retinues. Now, as soon as I opted to forego the Storm Troopers in favour of Nuns with Guns, the size of the army grew, but it's still smaller, especially when I'm planning a largely mechanized force. I'm looking at any army of Sisters, Assassins and wierd Ecclesiastical units. It's going to have some things that hit hard, but in the end, it's going to lose a lot. That's cool. It's also going to be the army known for the weird things it can do. As an added bonus (and my long term financial ruination, no doubt), I'll probably wind up adding Guard Infantry Platoons to this force as well, so army wise, it kills two birds with one stone.

Lord Severus
07-31-2009, 08:41 PM
When I first started into 40k I began woth World Eaters in the last edition of the chaos book. My collection quickly grew to aaround 5000 points of pure Khorne, and has since seen about 1000 points of no Khorne stuff added. Scratch built a brass scorpion, and just bought the big nasty Angroth also.

I then got into imperial guard with their last edition. I started a Steel Legion army since those have always been my favorite models for 40k. That collection has grown much more rapidly, and I once counted everything up just before the new book and had about 9000 points when you included my reaver titan, baneblade, and fw variants. Granted only about 3000 points of regular 40k is painted, and then most of my apocalypse only stuff is painted.

Then I did some Sons of Horus for Adepticon in '09. Go Team Mournival (we were the cool mournival team featured on the BOLS, not the landraider redeemer/thunder hammer storm shield/stuff that didnt exist then mournival team).

Not sure what I want to do next, but I am trying to make myself get everything else I have painted before I start a new project, but being married with a 3 year old, that may take awhile.

franks1313
07-31-2009, 09:39 PM
I've only been playing for about 5 years but I have:

Chaos Space Marines (Black Legion) 15,000 points
Black Templars 7,500 points
Chaos Demons 5,000 points
Tau 3,500 points
Orks 3,000 points

I also have several thousand points of Space Marine figs as of yet unassembled.....can anyone say obsessive compulsive disorder!

My CSM are by far my favorite, being bad just feels so right.

BTW great thread

Saint Coppella
07-31-2009, 09:48 PM
Somehow you will guess what my main 40k army is.
My first army was Blood angels, but I sold them after awhile. My Sisters of Battle are currently around 4.5k with absolutely everything. Though with the new Space Wolf codex coming up, I'm planning on doing a small force for them as well. Sisters will always be my favorite. Their fluff really grabs my attention, and I do very well with them in the game as well.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z283/Osaliske/Okuraa.jpg

wokkers
07-31-2009, 09:50 PM
i am currentley working on my fourth UM army (which also happens to be 4th company). I also have a 2000 point LOTD army which i use as a standard SM army, a 1500 point Bezerkers army and a few models worth of Plague Marines. I am currentley taking a break from painting so my painting desk has a number of half-finished models on it. as you can probably tell from my list of armies power armor has always been my one true love :)

AbeSapien
07-31-2009, 09:52 PM
I have several armies at the moment. All my armies are at the 1500 point UK game standard size. I have no special characters and will never field them. They are stupid in rules and stupid in fluff, are you saying Chapter Masters would show up to such small and insignificant skirmishes?

Eldar - were my first army back in '99. Not so good under 5th where troops are the most important and eldar have really rubbish troops. Nearly back to 1500 points and starting to repaint them in the black and orange Telannar paint scheme from white dwarf.

Orkz - Just a fun army, fun to paint and convert and soon to play with. Started as a freeboota tribe comprising of the remnants of other tribes in the aftermath of Armageddon but it was to messy and to hard to create a hundred different paint schemes so.. having seen the the cool bikers and battlewagon they are being repainted into Evil Sunz speed freak red.

Plaguemarines - Started under 4th edition and got a huge boast with their latest codex. Lots of forgeworld bitz. Just need to add the wings to my daemon prince (zombie dragon wings seem to small) and attach the turrets to my two predators before nurgley-ing them up with green stuff. And then more painting.

Tau - A gun line army for some thing different. I like the look of them the clean lines. I like the Kroot models but don't know about their effectiveness in game terms. Lots to assemble and lots to paint.

Space Wolves - Not your generic SM's for me. Just wainting for the new codex to see whats changed. Mostly painted, I used black templar guns chained to their arms for a savage, brutal look. Im going to convert my scouts a bit more using chaos marauder parts from fantasy after seeing a really cool article online the other day.

Next army? Slaanesh Chaos Space Marines. Pink Gothic pattern evil dudes heavily converted with a few noise marines for character. Probably using the Flawless Host paint scheme from the codex.

Skaven - I like the humour of the furry little guys. I could lose due to the incompetence of my own side rather than through the enemies abilities. Approaching 1500 points, just waiting for the new army book later in the year.

LotR - I have a large group of models that can ally in the Tower of Ecthelion list. I will look at War of the Ring when I have more money. This is the game where special characters should exist not any of the other ones.

darth_papi76
07-31-2009, 10:32 PM
1. My first 40K army were the Eldar. The third edition Codex has just come out when I got into the hobby. I loved the Dire Avenger on the cover and I really liked their background. I have about 13,000 pts of Ulthwe and its still going.

2. After that I read the first Space Wolf novel by William King I started on them right away. I like the fact that they're actual good guys, and Space Vikings are really cool.

3. I started an Imperial Guard army that I kinda let go to the wayside (I always go back to Eldar), but I love the new Codex so I've brought them out of retirement.

4. Raven Guard. I like the Shrike's background and figured I'd play "regular marines". Of course they're fleet of foot and I always use a Librarian, so I guess that's Ulthwe popping up again.

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
07-31-2009, 10:40 PM
I actually do own a few 40K armies (despite my name).

I Have:

6000pts of Iron Warriors
1500pts of The Enshrined (Possessed Chaos Marine chapter)
1000pts of Cerelyon Guard (Traitor Guard)

I have these because im a sucker for tanks and the evil guys. Iron Warriors fit both.

I also am fascinated by the symbiotic relationship of the Possessed (also being a fan of the Goa'uld from Stargate doesn't hurt either).

Lastly, who doesn't like insane guardsmen with lasguns charging headlong into their foe screaming incoherently? Well, I know I love them!

Pariah Stevo
07-31-2009, 10:42 PM
Necrons were my first. i love therd Fluff and rules and the way the list works (at leat till 5th)and they will always have a place in my heart( that shadowy area over there). But my main army is the orks, i love there flavor and "druken bar fight" tactics not to mention there beautiful minature range. They enbody what 40k is all about, "having fun krumpin' heads"

Vash113
07-31-2009, 11:06 PM
Ok well so far I have:

Ultramarines
Raven Guard
Imperial Fists
Space Wolves
Grey Knights
Imperial Guard
Tau

Tau were my first army and they were fun till 5th Edition came around and seriously messed with the army's play style. Now I almost never play them, the last time I brought them out was almost 3 years ago and I'm considering selling the army off.

The Ultramarines were my 2nd army and my first marine army, I like playing them whenever I go to a new store to see how people react to me.

The Grey Knight's and Raven Guard are sort of quirky army's I play every now and then, unfortunately the Raven Guard aren't much fun with the 5th Edition Codex and my Veteran Assault Squads turned Vanguard have done little but fail me miserably, I'm considering playing them with the Blood Angels rules but I haven't gotten around to it.

The Imperial Guard are a fun little project I've got on the side but the army is little more than a couple of tanks, some Storm Troopers and two small platoons of Guardsmen, I really need to expand it but other projects are more pressing though the first model I painted for the army was a Baneblade. :D

The Space Wolves and Imperial Fists are my favorite armies. The Imperial Fists used to be Blood Ravens, who were a LOT of fun with the traits, but with those gone they were nothing more than red Ultramarines so I revamped the army for more siege specialisation and stripped them down. Now I'm painting them up as the Sons of Dorn and I'm loving the scheme, love the background and love how they work but the army needs a lot more tanks and a lot more painting.

The Space Wolves are without a doubt my favorite army at the moment, though the IF's scheme is coming together nicer I think, the Wolves style and fluff are just unbeatable IMO and the way the army functions is very refreshing after the finickyness of my ole Tau. I'm working on mechanising the army as right now it's an Infantry horde but nevertheless it's still effective and I can't wait for the new Codex though I'm apprehensive at the same time. I dread winding up with a shoddy codex like the last few turned out to be.

MUMBLES
07-31-2009, 11:42 PM
I have about 8k worth of Chaos Space marines, 3k worth of Chaos Daemons, 3k worth of Eldar. I'll try and get some pictures of my word bearers up soon.

Emperorsmercy
08-01-2009, 12:24 AM
I have a space Marines, Chaos space marines and orks. i do keep trying to stop getting armies, and I am being lured in by Tyranids now.

1- Chaos Space marines are my favourite because of their wonderful background and the amount of conversoin you are able to do. They also do pretty well when fighting with them.

2- Space marines were my first army and they still are used a fair amount. I particually lie placing a Terminator chaplian in with Terminators with TH+SS and charging them into combat and watching them rip evrything apart.

3 - Orks got started off from The Battle for Black reach, which I painted up and began to add to. It is now relativily large but they are not my favourite as I see very little skill involved. You get hundreds of Infantry, then charge them at the opponent. Its verylikely hundreds will die but more will arrive and destory them. This is partly the reason I rarely take them off the shelf anymore, but also because I ran out of green paint. ;)

Feiff
08-01-2009, 12:39 AM
My main army is Ultramarines. Two friends thought about starting to play W40k, so they convinced me (?) to buy the Battle fo Macragge box so we could try it out, I recognized the Ultramarines from some old computer game, so they felt familiar and I panted my men as such. I also liked their fluff when I read about them and decided to keep collecting them.

I now have 12.000 points of Ultramarines. Mostly 2nd company, roughly half first company and some scouts and a ton of vehicles from the armory. I am just finishing up a Warhound titan from the Macragge titan legion with some Ultramar-iconography on it.

I am also doing a small (roughly 5.000) points side-project of Tyranids and I wan't to do a small Ordo Xenos inquisitor retinue, have some special models for it, but the lack of official rules makes it less fun to spend time with.

Wolfshade
08-01-2009, 02:38 AM
Blood Angels, Demonhunters and Eldar.

I've been playing since 2nd edition. I play with my BA most and they are my favourite. Two reasons for this the back story, and my first minatures were the death company - I had originally planned to buy a box of terminators, but I got more minis for the money.

Zeev
08-01-2009, 02:46 AM
3k Points of tau

1150 points of Eldar (Soon to be expanded)

1k points of ORKs (Soon to be expanded)

I am starting Space Wolves in October.

Oh and I have been playing for 2 months.

22metreline
08-01-2009, 03:12 AM
3000pts Crimson Fists
2000 pts Necrons
2000pts Tau
1500pts CSM
2000pts Orks
2000pts IG

Wow. Writing this down has made me realise what a sap I am for all things GW!

I was planning on a 'nids army next but I may need to hit ebay first ;)

Inquisitor McSagington
08-01-2009, 04:12 AM
Starting up again small, with 1k CSM (Homebrew legion)
After I finish gettig that to 2k points will probably go with LatD

RandomX
08-01-2009, 04:56 AM
9,000+ points of Black Templar, which I have had continually since late summer of 1999. Next for them is a Thunderhawk, enough Terminators to fill a Deathwing list to plat them as that, and maybe an old school Reaver.

I am also starting up an Ork Kult of Speed (Yeah 5 Battlewagons!) and also am slowly converting up some Adeptus Mechanicus.

-Eric

Plasticfish
08-01-2009, 07:28 AM
A couple of years back I started with some Death Guards, it was an economic choice since they had quite a high points value I could build a functional force without having to spend too much cash.:D
As of now I have about 3K of them and a nice infested Baneblade to go with them.
Last summer I started a Raptors Chapter Space Marine army that has now grown past 2K. And this summer I started a Traitor IG army, right now about 2K.

Garou24
08-01-2009, 08:01 AM
3000 points of Necrons, fully painted
3000 points of Tyranids, fully painted
14,000 points of Chaos, 6000 points painted
2500 points of Tau, Partially painted

Necrons where my first army almost 2 years ago. My girlfriend wanted to play Tyranids so we bought both armies and started playing and painting to get ready for a local Tournament. After about a year or so I started looking at chaos after the new codex came out and now have a stock pile of Chaos units and Super Heavies to keep me busy painting. My girlfriend started eyeing the Tau so next thing I knew I had tons of that too. I really enjoy the modeling and painting part of the hobby, as do my friend. We love to have huge themed apocalypse games with our custom tables and terrain for large epic battles. Nothing like a day of Warhammer and BBQ to make the weekend fun!

Vagrant
08-01-2009, 08:20 AM
i play salamanders with about 2500 points worth. vulkan is (imho) the best ic for the c:sm. twin linking all melta and flamer weapons is just too great to pass up, then you also get master crafted thunder hammers. amazing, just amazing.

i play blood angels also. about 1500. they are (again, imho) the best assault army as well as the most fun to play out of all of the space marine chapters. plus the death company = amazing when paired with dante and/corbulo.

i love the named characters in alot of the codecies. i think that is what makes each codex so different in what it can and cant do.

Jim
08-01-2009, 08:32 AM
I have 3 40K armies...

Imperial Guard - Valhallans...I played these since the models were first released in 2nd edition and they have been through a few paint scheme revisions but I still love the Russian look of the models. I've got a few new goodies from the recent codex like the Valk, etc... but really I'm waiting on plastic greatcoat guard before I do another major over haul on these guys (I realise I could be waiting sometime - but hey I've waitied this long, right?!)

Space Marines - Crimson Fists...I wanted to do a marine army and agonised for weeks over different chapters...I decided I didn't want to do one of the 'Big Four' at the time (Ultra's, Dark Angels, Blood Angels and Space Wolves) as everyone else seemed to have gone for them. I wanted a Chapter with some history in the mythos rather than a homebrew chapter...In the end what sold me was seeing the cover of Rogue Trader and that great 'Last Stand' picture of the Fists...My army is all Mark 6 'Beakie' marines to try and imitate that piece of art.

Chaos Space Marines - World Eaters...I've always liked the older styles of armour and when I was first getting into the hobby in the late 80's all the games of the time like Adeptus Titanicus were set in the Heresy which seemed a really interesting period in the background to the universe 40K is set in. With the release of the Horus Heresy novels I was determined to do a whole army in Pre-Heresy armour, equipment and colour schemes. I found a great website (thegreatcrusade.co.uk) and over the course of 2008/2009 have built and painted almost 2000 points of pre-heresy World Eaters.

Jim

AsgeirArnald
08-01-2009, 09:00 AM
I just started playing 40k a couple months ago and I have 1 complete army with 2 others in progress.

My CSM World Eaters are my complete army. I picked them because I think their paint scheme looks cool and I liked the idea of a bunch of crazy dudes running around growling and snarling and killing stuff (Oh berzerkers how I love you...). The squad of oblits and a couple defilers just add to the killyness.

My CSM Thousand Sons Army is almost complete. Just placed my order for Ahriman and another squad of termys then its done (Except for paint. Haven't even started that yet). After I read these guys' fluff I went out and bought 2 boxes of them right then and there because I thought they were so cool.

Last army is Space Wolves. Just started buying models for these guys. I've always been way into Norse Mythology and they're the next best thing to actual vikings in 40k.

Also thinking about starting an Eldar army so I can play something other than marines if I want...

Redbeard
08-01-2009, 09:13 AM
My armies, in order of acquisition:

Sisters of Battle/Witchhunters were my first army, I started in 2004. I've got about 4000 points of sisters and 4000 points of non-sister witchhunters, all painted.

And, since it's not much of a reach to go from Witchhunter inquisitorial units, to Grey Knight inquisitorial units, I picked up a small handful of Grey Knights too, probably 1500 points - also painted.

Ork Speedfreaks were second, I did them for the Armageddon 500 display at Adepticon 2006. They morphed into footsloggers when the new ork codex was released. I've got about 12000 points painted, and another few thousand unpainted as of yet.

After that, things got a bit crazy.

For Adepticon 2007, my college buddies and I did Emperor's Children - I painted them and kept some, one of the other guys kept the rest. Then came the new chaos codex. So, that army got split into Chaos Marines (Still Emperor's Children), and they're at about 6000 points (All painted) - without any daemons. They won 2nd best appearance at GT Chicago last year.

I also did an Eldar army for the 40k championships that year. They're currently standing at about 8000 points (although, with eldar, that's somewhat misleading - just painting the eight special characters puts you at 1500), all painted (I have some jetbikes not included yet)

The daemons from the above army split off into a chaos daemon army, Slaanesh daemons (3500, painted), and were then joined by tzeentch daemons (3500, painted), khorne daemons (5500, painted), and nurgle daemon (3500, not painted yet)

When I finish the nurgle daemons, I've got a Vostroyan army in progress as well. 250 infantry have been started, and enough tanks to mechanize them or run whatever style seems fun at the time.

Somewhere along the line, I also painted about 5000 points of tyranids, but I didn't really enjoy playing them, so they got sold off.

vman
08-01-2009, 09:27 AM
I would have to say my favorite and most collected army is Eldar, however it was not my first (Chaos was first back in about 1996). I love the eldar so much for many reasons.

1) models look excellent. The fact that they dont have faces on many of the models allows for even and old mini to still look good after all of these years.
2) very specialised units. Everyone these days is raving on about melta weapons and trying to include as many as possible in an army. Well, Eldar have been able to do this since day one with fire dragons. I could field 30 melta weapons if i really wanted to. But in a nut shell every unit has its true purpose and when used properly does the job well.
3) well balanced force that can take on just about any opponent. Need to obliterate hard to kill units (Nobs) then just take some wraithguard/Fire Dragons. Need to harrass weak units from any point of the table then take Swooping hawks. Need to tear apart an important unit early then Scorpions fit the bill. I feel that this army offers many possibilities to tackle various opponents be it big or small.
4) Opportunities to paint a wide variety of color schemes.

My second favorite army would have to be IG.

After that i love Death Guard Chaos Space Marines.

I love it all.

Nids or Tau are next

vutall
08-01-2009, 09:29 AM
I have 4 armies.

2k: Elysian Drop Troops: I am in love with the models, and whats not cool about seeing 6! Valk's on the table.

6k: Daemonhunters: The fluff of the Grey Knights, plus the AMAZING detail on the terminators, I couldnt help but play them. They were my first army. I did go a little land raider crazy for them though, have 7.

4k: Witch Hunters: Sticking with the Imperium of Man theme, plus, it was rather fun to paint a lot of white on models, and the sisters just look fantastic in it.

2k: Space Marines: I love drop pods. With the going halfsies on the Assault on Black Reach Set about 6 times with various ork players, and the relatively inexpensive price of drop pods, this was an army that was fun to play and super easy on the walet.

THats just the army lists I have. If I counted out every model and such, I would have over 15k points, and spent over 5 grand. >.<

Now the challenge: Finish painting everything. Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters are finished, havnt started on the Elysians or Space Marines.

SkiDog
08-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Well lets see, I have been playing Spacewolfs for the last 8yrs and just finishing my Nid army. It has been one hard road with all the changes and such with my Wolfs and now in October the will be able to hang alot better with the new Codex

Lord Sandwich
08-01-2009, 09:50 AM
I have 2 armies, but I have had three.

My first army, the Black Templars, attracted me for their style, their concept, and their fluff. An army of Crusaders in space? What can I say?

My second army, my Space Marines, cost me the cannibalization of my Templars. I figured due to the fact that I had more bolters than I could count, I would be better served by the basic Marine list. Also, it gave me time to develop my own chapter.

My third and most recent army is my Daemon army. Due to browsing the web, flipping through the Codex, and talking to people, I came to the decision that Daemons are more of a fun army than a competitive army due to the randomness involved. And you know what? I was right! My Daemons have served me well, and serve as a nice break from my Marines.

Mustakrakish
08-01-2009, 09:53 AM
I started with White Scars... and gave them p... too many bikes ^^

Now I'm stuck with Emperor's Children... I love the Sonic Weaponry...
they are great for conversions :)

CatPeeler
08-01-2009, 10:01 AM
I've been playing on and off since the Rogue Trader days (every odd edition, as I like to say), and have run the obligatory marine list, an ulthwe list, and now alternate between mechanized Tau and Chaos Daemons.

Asymmetrical Xeno
08-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Enslavers -
I love giant lovecraftian squids that are few in number/large. I use Eldar jetbike list iwth a few other added things to make it work legally.

Working on other armies as well :

* Hrud/Umbra horde, these will be mostly scratch-made with lots of original sculpts added in.

* A few minor xeno races for campaign specific things, all converted from bitz ect.

Orlock
08-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I have two armies - Space Marines and Imperial Guard. The Space Marines are a throwback to the heady days of Rogue Trader - many of my rank and file are the old plastic marines. I am currently adding to the collection with some of the newer models. I have collected the Imperial Guard because I like tanks!

DevilUknow
08-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I got back into 40k early last year and went on kind of a buying spree.

I've got way more Space Marines than I need (or can paint in a single lifetime if I keep to my current pace)

I want to pare down and sell off some of my excess models so I've been agonizing over a core army (2000pts that can scale down to 1000pts) and thinking of getting a super heavy / legendary to make it Apocolypse ready (any time now, GW will put out a pastic Thunderhawk, any time now...)

Once that is decided I'll be moving onto a Khorne themed Chaos Space Marine force (i've already got 2 boxes of models and a couple of blisters... i have a problem).

Another Random Geek
08-01-2009, 11:34 AM
I have around 2k points of Dark Angels, which are currently being fielded with the vanilla Marine codex, as I do not use Terminators or Bikes.

In my humble opinion, the Dark Angels have some of the best fluff and models in the game. Sinister, heavily armed monks in space? Count me in.

Mortagon
08-01-2009, 12:02 PM
I have about 2k worth of Iron warriors chaos marines painted and another 4 or 5k unpainted, and is slowly building a Traitor guard/Lost and the damned/Adversaries (Witch hunters) army which I have about 1k points of assembled.

I've always loved Iron warriors ever since I read storm of Iron and the traitor guard thing just started as a small time conversion project, but I am now looking to make a proper army of it.

Oh, and first post. Wohoo :p

Kuhlbert
08-01-2009, 03:16 PM
I started playing 40k back in college, around 1988 - played Marines, Orks, Harlequins and *GASP* Squats back then...

Got married and a job, real life took over and took a break from the game (selling off my minis) for around 15 years. Since then, my son and I have been playing a lot and I've enjoyed getting back into the hobby.

Right now I've got 3 armies:

Tau, about 2,000pts. I'm an anime fan, so the giant battlesuits appealed to me. Played them in the last Games Day Atlanta GT and got totally thrashed :)

Sisters of Battle, around 2,500pts. My second army. Took it to the Big Waaagh 2008 to play in the team tournament with my son.

Black Templars, around 4,000pts. My most recent and favorite. Took it to the Big Waaagh 2009 and had a blast. Working on building them up to be a complete crusade.

My son, who just turned 13, has about 1,500pts in Dark Angels and 2,500pts in CSM (mainly Khornate).

entendre_entendre
08-01-2009, 05:58 PM
i have a neglected beil tan eldar aspect warrior army and my current army, chaos marines.
the CSM were originally Black Legion, but as i've gone on collecting, the schemes have branched out to include Iron Warriors and Word Bearers as well as some custom colour shemes.

herger
08-01-2009, 06:03 PM
I started in 4th. ed. with black templars then went to chaos. Mainly do to the fact that there where no chaos players.i mostly play world eaters and some black legion.

BloodAngel
08-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Been playing for about 5 years now. Started with Ultramarines,but for the last couple I've been playing Thousand Sons but the nex codex has kinda sucked the flavor out of them. I've just started Blood Angels and have a full company assembled but only partialy painted.

BuFFo
08-02-2009, 12:06 AM
2200 Dark Eldar Wych Cult
2400 Dark Eldar Kabal

2000 Tyranid 'gaunt' army
2700 Tyranid Nidzilla
2300 Tyranid Warrior army

1200 Sisters of Battle

2400 Imperial Guard

5400 Various Orks

8000 Various Marines

2400 Chaos Space Marine Khorne Army

5000 worth of Squats as various count as armies (IG and Marines)

4300 Necron Army

Been playing 40k since 1988. Thats why I have so much garbage. I only play my Dark Eldar ever anymore. Haven't touched other armies (except IG recently) for about a decade.

How can one get so much crap? Online trading. I haven't bought a GW model from a GW source since 2001. Now a days I just collect various armies, but I never use them. I am strictly Dark Eldar. Well, except for my monthly foray into IG...

Agramar
08-02-2009, 04:32 AM
I have black legion(30k),demons(3k) and blood drinkers(5K).

Chaos marines are my favorites.I donn't know why exactly.Maybe for the aspect and background

Dragon_Cultist
08-02-2009, 05:09 AM
I have just one army

well too but the other is just plain embarresing.

I am a slow builder so have hardly anthing done
And have a whole battle company to go.

Crud:(

Zman
08-02-2009, 05:25 AM
I have arround 7k points of Iron Warriors, 3,5k points of Inquisition Daemonhunetrs, and 1k points of self-created Space Marines chapter.

atom_84
08-02-2009, 05:32 AM
Currently working on finishing my Guard army, need a few more tanks (well duh!)
got a completed Ultramarines mech army and its awesome seeing all those Razorbacks rushing about, and working on an Undivided/Nurgle alpha legion infantry list.

But im gonna get a look in on the new space wolves list when it arrives, just starting to whet my pallet

kitiara
08-02-2009, 07:54 AM
i have 5k of thousands sons more or less and around 3k of demons.

I love magic and wizards since I was a child, so, when I read thousands sons' index astartes... I made an thousands sons's army...

Playa
08-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Hey,

What army do you play

LatD

why

Modeling opportunities.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/7619/armyfull.jpg

Playa

PedroKantor
08-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey all,
I started by playing....
Choas undivided in 3rd ed
Tau in 4th ed
Space Marines (my own chapter the Highland Lions) in 4th ed
Orks (Death Skulls) 4th ed
Crimson Fists 5th ed
and now have come full circle and started building another Chaos Undivided for 5th.

Right now I am still in love with my Fists, mainly as i have been painting up 30 Terminators for an upcoming Planet Strike Game!
Would like to probably sell off the Tau and some of the Orks at some point as they are just boxed away and I foresee no immediate gaming for them in the future.... but its hard to part with them just the same.
Eric

fallen_star
08-03-2009, 01:47 AM
Greetings,

I have at some point or another played then sold every 40k army (finnally have a grasp on the compulsions now).

Currently in love with my fledgling arbites/guard/witch hunter force, though the pirate eldar and sable swords see more play time of late.

Aldramelech
08-03-2009, 03:20 AM
I play Imperial Guard (Cadians) and have a Space Marine army waiting to be painted. I left gaming about 6/7 years ago for various reasons but have recently returned. Went into my local workshop to restock on paint and saw the "new" IG and thought "I gotta have that!" Both army's are 2000pt as I would never really get the chance to play with more then that.
The Cadians are an infantry army with very few tanks (2 Russ, 1 Chimera, 3 sentinals) The Space Marines are going to be Eagle Warriors (I think).

Brother Mord
08-03-2009, 12:41 PM
I started back in 91 with space marines. I had a DIY chapter that I eventually didnt like.

My Brother and I started a Black Templar army with some of our left over marines when the Armageddon campaign came out. I expanded the army and eventually inherited it all. They are now my favorite army and I consider it my "main" army.

I also have a large Imperial Guard army made up mostly of older metal Cadians (going to rename them something other than Cadians now that newer plastics are out). I originally collected IG to use as allies with my space marines when that was allowed. It eventually grew into an army of its own. I considered it my "main" army until I got Black Templar fever. I still use it as much as my Templars.

I also have a small army of Tyrannids I use from time to time when Im feeling "evil".
I have a few inquisitors I use as witch hunters/demonhunters for something different or as allies.
I am also redoing my original DIY marines into Imperial Fists (stripping and repainting) to use a codex chapter but it is slow going on that one.

eLCee
08-03-2009, 01:16 PM
1. Well i sold / lost most parts of my orignal DA when i have been in the army back in 02. Gues all that remaind of about 3000 points was an Assault Squad, 2 Dreads and a Scout squad (including good old Namaan)

I restarted another DA army about half a year before the new edition on the DA-codex was released.

Since then i gathered about 12000-14000 points of DA.
about half of the 1. Company, a third of 2., complete 4. and 5. company (4. is mechanized 5. droppod), 4 squads of veterans that serve in 6. company, and some scouts. And tons of tanks of course...

If this was't enough i build and painted
2. about 50 Grey knights, mixed in Servo and TDA plus some Landraiders
3. IG army - actually it started as an inducted army for my Grey Knights, but IG tanks are like crack... cannot get enough
4. footsloggin boyz (with the release of Blackreach), not to balanced just a pure green tide... i always want to pic up some bike and or battlewaggons
5. Nids 1500 pts force, needs work to make them work in 5th
6. my latest army about 2000-2500 points of Deathguard...

Tried to build some Ultramarines, but they went green again so just a FW Dread and the Honour Guard left in blue... the 5th ed Marines fired my dislike for them again, just to much blue in there.

Andrew283
08-03-2009, 01:21 PM
I play Nids, Tau and Salamanders.

Nids are my favorite especially in 5th edition due to the insanity that is the broodlord and genestealer retinue and ofcourse the Carnifex

Ace
08-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Let's see... I started out at the tail end of third edition with a shared army with a few friends of mine (I was very... young... back then) and we decided on Red Talons. This changed to Salamanders later on when we wanted special rules. Somehow the army became mine completely when my friends stopped playing.

I had a sizable Dark Eldar army, but it just lost it's flair in 4th ed, so I sold it.

Also had a small Grey Knight force, but I sold that.

Now, including my Salamanders, I use:

1. Orks (Wolfhuntaz): originally they were Speed Freaks from the Armageddon codex, but then the new codex rolled around and the army lost alot of its strength somehow. The army was based on having my friends Space Wolves as its nemesis, and they'd fight alot.

2. Eldar (Craftworld Iyanden): I love Wraithguard and Wraithlords. Entire reason I started the army, and probably the largest part of the army itself. I was very happy when the eldar got their new codex all those years ago.

3. Witch Hunters (Order of the Feline Divine): Faith Points and Exorcists. Nuff said.

4.Imperial Guard (Korsonian 10th, Iron Eagles): Started in the late 3rd ed codex, they sucked terribly. Got the new codex and planned on ramping em up, but I got in a car accident and all my tanks were smashed... Someday I'll fix em up... someday.

And that is a "short" list of my armies.

Warboss Spleenstabba
08-03-2009, 07:47 PM
2000pts of Tau my first army, I loved the idea of The Greater Good, and I love the idea of a coalition of many different alien races united in a common cause, that and I have always loved the non-human good guys: elves/ dwarves in lotr, Elites in Halo, etc. Though I suppose I could have chosen Eldar and I still don't have an Eldar army, I really don't know why , but I have assembled an entire eldar army for a friend of mine and helped him with the list and in some practice games (he's a noob) so I know them fairly well.

5500pts of Deathskull Orks, my favorite army, I chose them b/c I love greenskins and have always been a huge steampunk (the idea of just throwing crap together and having it work) and I chose death skulls b/c they reminded me of Scottish highlanders (I'm part Scottish) and they have Chelsea colors (I'm a huge Chelsea supporter), that and the looting crap and blue being lucky is just awesome.

3000pts of Raven Guard with a Grey Knight contingent, I chose Raven Guard b/c they were one of the less popular chapters (arguably the least popular) and I loved the deepstrikeing, hiding in the shadows, and commando idea, and that their chaplains are devoted to tactics, I also love Edgar Allan Poe and The Raven, and Grey Knights are just awesome halbard weilding, daemon killing, bad *****.

1000pts Tyranids, I love the whole bio warfare aspect and the hivemind idea, that and they consume whole systems!

4000pts of Word Bearers with a Death Guard contingent and a few cult troops- I love Chaos Space Marines as they are quintisentially 40k as they combine 2 things that are unique to the universe- Space Marines and Chaos. I love occult studies and the paint scheme of word bearers plus the black library series, and I study epideimiology so I love Nurgle and Death Guard, and Khorne and Tzeentch are just awesome.

1500pts of Imperial Guard, I came up with my own legion- Swamp Stalkers of Myr with their own lore and it shows in the rulebook that they are the closest guard planet to Deliverance (home of the Raven Guard), and I also have an Adeptus Mechanicus contingent in their as well as some people have certain "nerd fetishes" (something they just think is awesome and don't know why) director Guillermo del Toro likes gears, I like auxilliary mechanical arms (Doc Oc is my favorite supervillian) and mechandrites and servo arms fit the bill.

1350pts of Daemons- love the all deepstriking army, fairly easy to paint and fit well with my word bearers.

imperialsavant
08-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Simple thread, open concept.

What army do you play and why.
Also, if you have more than 1 army, why have more than 1 army and which do you love most.

How about you guys?

Thanks for a fun suggestion!
Well I started out collecting Sisters some 9 or more years ago when my sub teen grandkids got Orks & Space Wolves. Well of course at that time there were Stuff All Sisters models or a Codex around ( I did get a Codex via Ebay!) so I started a Black Templars Army that grew untill its around 5000 Pts now.
Then came Witch Hunters & Daemon Hunters so more Sisters, Inquisitors, Grey Knights, Inq Storm Troopers etc. Then after devouring all the Caiphus Cain BL Novels I just had to build a Valhallan 597th Army with Caiphus & Jurgan.
So Which do I like best?? ALL OF THEM!!!!
I probably use the BTs & Sisters most in Club night games but the Valhallans get regular outings for Apocalypse Games. Sadly the Daemon Hunters dont get any use since the Global on line campain.:rolleyes:

Regards Barry H.

ChaosLord127
08-08-2009, 12:48 AM
In order that i got them.

Tyranids: I loved the thought of munching people with bug/lizard Alien movie type aliens... that and they came with the battle of macragge, and my dad took the marines. 4000 points of them. I have played since the 3rd edition codex with them.

Chaos Space Marines: Joined a gaming group, and realized that most campaigns were chaos vs imperium in this group. As I first started with tyranids, they stuck me on the chaos side. Looking at my allies, I noticed that Nurgle, 2 Slaanesh armies, and Khorne armies were all present, so I started Thousand Sons. This worked pretty well, until I got tired of the fact that in the previous codex, a thousand son pure army did not have a lot of tactical options, so I expanded my force to include normal CSM, and I played with the Night Lord rules. The latest chaos codex killed the majority of my love for using them, as they were my former favorite due to all the fluffy rules. 6000pts of them

Imperial Guard *favorite*: I was interested in them the most since before I bought my first starter set. However, when I asked the guy working at the local GW (now closed, unfortunately) about them, he said "they sucked". So I never played them. Eventually though, I started losing to them a lot in my gaming group, so I added them as allies to the Chaos side, so they started out as renegade guard. I added them due to the lack of firepower that the Chaos side had in comparison to the Imperial side, as most of our armies were destroyed on turn 1 by all the leman russes and basilisks. I ended up buying a bunch of Steel Legion models, so they have filled out this army quite nicely. They are definately my best performing army, and have the highest kill count among them all, not to mention their ability to survive and shoot better than my Chaos Marines for some reason. I will probably put a video on youtube of them soon. I have about ... not sure how many points now, as my army builder program STILL hasn't updated for the latest codex, and I am too lazy to do it by hand. I have played them since 4th edition.

Tau: I always liked the tau as well, primarily for the design of the fire warriors. One day I just decided to buy the battleforce boxed set, and now I have about 6000pts of them, including some forge world suits. I have a video on youtube of how much of them was built 2 years ago, I should probably update that now, seeing as I got the Apocalypse hunter cadre...

Daemonhunters: Wanted some elite troops to ally with my Imperial Guard. So I have a bunch of grey knights, but they usually just die and bring a lot of chaos daemons to the field now. I started them during the near end of the 4th edition core rules. It is sad to see them fade away, and they now sit on my desk, gathering dust. 2000pts of them.

Chaos Daemons: Wanted my daemons back after they ruined them in the "pure" chaos marine current codex. However, I have been trying to do a pure Tzeentch army, so I don't have enough money to build a full army yet. I have 15 horrors, 6 flamers, 5 screamers, and a Lord of Change.

and those are my armies. if you want to see my tau vid, its on youtube. My profile name their is the same as here.

Guta
09-01-2009, 05:42 PM
I am currently in the process of making 3 different armies. The first and my favorite is my Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons army. I have always thought they were the coolest legion of the lot, so of course im making an army of them. My second army is a Pre-Heresy Emperor's Children army, and i like them because their heroes are some of the most interesting to me. And my third army is a renegade chaos space marine army modeled from the codex, the Death Shadows, and i like them so much because ive always been intrigued by chaos and the robes make them look very mysterious.

tinfoil
09-01-2009, 06:03 PM
I started with Iron Warriors, because I liked the look and because I'd read Storm of Iron while deciding whether or not to plunge into the hobby. But the power gaming aspect of that particular army (this was in 3d edition, when the Iron Warriors could field 4 heavies and multiple obliterator cults) grew tedious.

Then, when the Eye of Terror codex appeared, I switched to Lost and the Damned. I loved that army. It pushed me to try converting models. (Remember those Bag 'O Mutants? *sigh.)

Then GW more-or-less simultaneously killed off the LatD army, and produced a new CSM codex that bled a lot of the character and fun out of that army. I came very close to leaving the hobby altogether, at that point, because I couldn't really "feel" playing any other army. The converting/modeling and the narrative side of the hobby had become much more important to me than the game, by then, and I really felt adrift -- though I did cobble together a CSM list (Word Bearers, though by this point it had to be a vanilla CSM list. I really dislike that codex).

Then came the daemon codex, which rescued and reinvigorated my love of the hobby. I seriously love the daemons -- the way they play, and how the way they play reflects the narrative uniqueness of this particular army. Plus they're fun to model and convert.

GW very nearly lost me. But (I admit a bit sheepishly), now I'm more slavishly devoted and feverishly commited than ever.

PopFenton
09-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Salamanders and Tyranids, with Salamanders being the current army of choice.

Pyro-enthusiast
09-01-2009, 06:25 PM
My first army was Tyranids back in the day of the "Screamer" Carnifex. I loved my bugs and the way they consumed the enemies of the hive mind in an unending swarm. They met a horrible death when I wrecked my car on the way to a game. 2000-3000 points of metal goodness in the trunk that exploded into a thousand tiny pieces.

After that I stayed out of the game until someone gifted me with several boxes of Dark Eldar. I played these for a bit, but the style didn't suit me all that well. In the end they ended up going to yet another gamer trying to get in to the hobby.

Years later Faultie tried to drag me back in to the plastic addiction and amid the pretty pictures of Tau my willpower collapsed. This is the only army I've never completed as I started work on a Farsight Enclave build but work and school conspired to keep me from finishing it up. I'm still not sure what happened to all the models.

The Inquisition is my one true love. Sadly they never released an Ordo Xenos book, and Deathwatch Kill Teams are now kind of defunct. Though I only had a small force backed by Space Marine allies, if they/when they release a new Inquisition book I plan to dust off my big red "I"s and re-join the good fight.

Finally Salamanders. Currently my only playable army. I loved the fluff and started putting together my force back in 4th edition. I had never played Space Marines before, but something that could survive a round of assault appealed to me after running gobs of Fire Warriors. I now sport a bit over 3000 points of the men in green and will probably add another thousand by the end of the year. Slowly but surely I'd like to build a battle company sized force.

Puccio
09-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Crimson Fists cause the colors caught my eye. Ended up falling in love with the fluff.

Then I moved on to about a 2k Daemon contingent.

Followed up by a green tide. (God I love AoBR)

And now I'm working on some space puppies.

Cerberus
09-01-2009, 06:59 PM
I play Marines (my own chapter) and Eldar. The Marines are my primary force I have played since Rogue Trader. The Eldar are a receint addition that I inherited from my brother when he joined the Navy. I had a small Guard force but sold it to buff out the others. I used to have a bunch of Squats as well, but have misplaced them, along with my original copy of Space Hulk, my Rogue Trader Marines, five 2nd edition Tactical squads, and a Warhound Titan. I think I left them at my mom's when I moved out in college and they are still floating around somewhere.

Later

gospog
09-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Mainly, I play Lamenters Space Marines. They're not often seen on the field and I like yellow.

I also have a decent sized Ork force. I love to convert and kit-bash Ork stuff.

A smaller but growing project are Pre-Heresy World Eaters. Because they're just really cool.

Turkadactyl
09-01-2009, 07:28 PM
I have around 5000 points of Witch Hunters. Not quite sure. I haven't played with them for a year now and before that their use has been sporadic for three years. The name of the order is Order of the Refiner's Fire. Gold armor with midnight blue cloth. I am big fan of the freak show. I have 12 Arco-flagellents, 6 Penitent Engines and 60 Zealots. Now that my Nid army is almost finished it is time to focus on my girls more.

I have well over 10,000 points in Tyranids. My prize army. This army contains everything except for gargoyles. Still holding out for those plastic gargoyles. I built this army up fast. Battle of Macragge was great for that. Also a friend sold me some of his Nids. I have some Forgeworld goodies such as the Scythed and Barbed Hierodules, Malanthorpe, Meiotic Spores, and Spore Chimney. I scratch built a Trygon with a Carnifex and a whole lot of green stuff. This army is almost finished. There are a few more models to paint and phew it is done. The name is Hive Fleet Kodiak. I have my imperial armies based in the Ursis system. Being an Canadian boy and an avid hiker, I have a deep respect for bears. Colors are skin base scorched brown with black and brown ink wash, carapce bestial brown base and works it way up to bubonic brown highlights.

Around 2500 points Imperial Guard. When the Vostroyans came out I wanted to add them to my Witch Hunters force. The Vostroyans look really good with the Witch Hunters. I call mine the Ursons. With the new codex I want to add a few more tanks to the ensemble. This force is meant to support the Witch Hunters. to go with the look I added Kislev Tsar Boris from the WFB to the army. He is more of a showpiece for the army then for game play. Him ridign a bear really suits my motif. This army is has no color scheme at the moment.

I have 6 Grey Knight Terminators, well because they look really cool.

I plan on collecting Space Marine Terminators for Apocalypse games. I plan on painting my Space Hulk my own chapter color. I may actually start collecting Space Wolves Terminators and try to model wolf heads into bear heads. The planned name is Kodiak's Klaw. I really enjoyed using Terminators in Dawn of War. That game is the motivation to collect Terminators.

I may collect Necrons one day.

BlacknightIII
09-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Custom chapter space marines because there really fast and even eldar have a tough time out manuvering me.
IG because even orks and tau run out of bullets before i run out of bodies.

Grantavius Kennarius
09-01-2009, 07:36 PM
I began with an Inquisitor in Laserburn, who suddenly grew a twin brother in Rogue Trader; things have grown since then [literally- my first models were 15mm]. In Rogue Trader days I began my Imperium armies as well as my Eldar and Orks. My robots have since turned into Necrons, but I haven't developed the army any further- Necrons and Tau are the only forces of which I don't have armies, but I am gradually assembling a Kroot force.

My Imperium forces have been sorted into Imperial Guard, Dark Angels, Sisters of Battle and Inquisitors since 2nd edition.

These are my armies- most are currently in boxes in the attic; I swop boxes every year. [This year is Orks].
Imperial Guard:
4067th Detestabilis Light Infantry [1500 point Catachans; no vehicles other than Scout Sentinels; can be fielded with 2 Armorcast Baneblades and an Armorcast Shadowsword; apparently only super-heavies can push through the trees].
6153rd Forlethian Rifles [Steel Legion, with Leman Russ converted to look more like Willie i.e. no turret.]
42nd Albidanian Regiment of Foot [Praetorians, some Tallarn troops, Ratling snipers, Tallarn Rough Riders]
1385th Forlethian Armoured Regiment [Cadians: currently 14 Leman Russ variants, 4 Baneblades and more on the way eventually]
2048th Forlethian Mounted Rifles [Cadians; Mechanised]
4864th Forlethian Artillery Regiment [Valhallans, Cadians 9 Basilisks and three Salamander Scouts ]
7048th Forlethian Grenadier Reconnaissance Regiment [Karskin troops in Chimeras and 12 Sentinels]

Dark Angels [10,000 points all together]
Honourable Chapter of Dark Angels First Company: The Most Noble Order of the Deathwing
Honourable Chapter of Dark Angels Second Company: The Noble Order of the Ravenwing
Honourable Chapter of Dark Angels Fifth Company [with attachments from 10th Company; yes the entire 5th Company]

Sisters of Battle of the Convent Shrine of Saints Ophelia and Monica, Martyrs [2000 points]
The Emperor's Holy Inquisition; usually used as add-ons to other armies, and so HQ & elite heavy.

A band of unidentified small stunted people that squat in spaceships :-)

Alpha Legion- The Warband of Duke Aidan, Supplicor of the Bloodied Hand [2500 points]
Xenos T/67*M41 Scythice Tyranids [a Genestealer Cult] [2000 points]
Kabal of the Bloodied Heart- Dark Eldar [3000 points]
The Blade that Shines in Moonlight- Eldar [Biel-Tan Eldar] [3000 points]
Snazgruzz the Obliviator, Boss Ork [3000 points]

Audun54
09-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Space Marines, IG, and Orks for 40k
Empire, WOC, and Tomb Kings for Fantasy
Space Marines because I like their fluff and the models are fantastic looking
IG because I'm a military historian and they appeal to that part of me, also I like bayonets
Orks because they are just fun to play with
Empire because of ranks upon ranks of soldiers, cannons, knights, cannons, awesome models, and did I mention cannons? :)
WOC because the models are fun to paint
Tomb Kings because their play style is very different from any other and I like chariots

Azazel665
09-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Lessee, I played Crimson Fist-ish vanilla marines for years and then got into Black Templars around the time of Codex: Armageddon. I've kind of let the blue guys composition suffer, and they could probably use a repaint, but I'd like to get them back out again sometime. I've toyed with Necrons and Tyranids, but noting serious. I'm a loyalist marine player at heart I guess, contributing to GW's demographic reality.

phoenix01
09-01-2009, 08:20 PM
First post here

I have two armies for 40K

1. Space Marines. My own chapter called the Sword Sworn. Color scheme is Regal Blue (with Ultramarines Blue drybrushed on top) for the chest, legs, and pack with Boltgun Metal arms and with the helmet and knee pad coulr based on company (non Codex Astartes pattern). It is my very first army, running around 7000 pts now. I wanted to do a Welsh Arthurian theme and I wanted something different (not another Ultramarines successor chapter), so I did a "what if my Space Marines are one of the missing legions" for fluff factor. I have two Veterans companies (White helmets are assault terminators and Vanguard; black helmets are regular terminators and Sternguard), but no special rules. I have a primarch, but I treat him like a plain old chapter master and only use him in Apocalypse games. I don't use the "newer" armour like the Razorback or the Land Raider Crusader or Redeemer, but I do have a Fellblade for Apocalypse games.

Of course, I have been loudly and rudely criticized for using the lost legion idea in the past by people on another forum (cough B&C cough), even thought the whole point of the unknown legions was to allow DIY chapters to fill in the history with their chapter. Hopefully, I won't get the same nonsense here.

2. Imperial Guard. Just a Cadian army that I'm working on for my one year-old son. I figure by the time he's old enough to play, seventh edition will be out and we'll all be talking about how outdated the 5th edition IG Codex is.

Each of my older daughters (15 and 12) have an army: Eldar and Sisters respectively.

DarkLink
09-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I play Grey Knights. I picked up a few models because they are the best looking of all Space Marines, and was interested in the playstyle espoused by the people of Bolter and Chainsword, particularly the Way of the Water Warrior tactica.

Ultimately, I have stuck with them and play them exclusively since 5th came out. I started 40k with a Khorne army, then picked up some Tau for a change of pace. But when I started Grey Knights, I found my true calling, I suppose. They are capable of brutal assaults (a half dozen storm bolters, two incinerators and a bunch of strenght 6 is nothing to laugh at), yet are quite good at shooting as well. They are overpriced, and have very few options in the codex, but they fit my playstyle so well that it doesn't matter much. Aside from melta heavy armies, there is little that I fear in the 40k world, despite the fact that I play pretty much a single standard take all comers list.

That I can play an army with so little variety in the army list options (as I only play pure Grey Knights) and not get bored is testement to how well they fit me, and how much I enjoy playing them.

terricon4
09-01-2009, 08:52 PM
I play orks, they are nice comedy and given my life this helps.
I also love the aesthetic visuals of their trashed up vehicles charging or speeding into combat.
When I first started it was also because they where the easiest army to scratch build for. I had(and still don't) have much money for anything let alone 40k. Do to this I now occasionally go to my local target and walk up to the camera counter for disposable cameras. They give me some old ones and I come home. The two pad areas that you hold can be nicely turned into killa kans with a bit of work, they are usually a bit small however.
And also its just the whole ork attitude that's just awesome.

Limunpai
09-01-2009, 09:28 PM
My main army is Eldar because of the mystery that accompanies them.

I like that the interactions between many Eldar units aren't completely straightforward and that even after heavy use of the army list, I am able to find new interactions that I hadn't seen before.

I also like spending time developing an understanding of their way of life and the path of the warrior in particular. There is enough space for my own interpretation to flourish while still getting inspiration from the books.

Finally, their sleek, foreign, and traditional alien appearance really appeals to my aesthetic sensibilities.

Old Grey Knight
09-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Well my first army is a pure Grey Knight Army, Not the brightest thing I have ever done. But they are still my main army and most likely always will be.
Then I picked up my Brother-inlaws Tau but I don't really play them that much.
Soon after that I got a great deal on Nids and I use them to give me a break from the Knights
and I am slowing painting my Soul Drinkers so I can play them either C:SM or C:CSM
and just for kicks I have a huge BattleFleet Gothic fleet.

Old Grey Knight

Exitus Acta Probat
09-01-2009, 10:06 PM
I have been playing so long I have at least one of every 40k army, sans Dark Eldar.
So I have always postulated the 'if I was forced to choose ONE army, and only one, and was never allowed to play anything else...which would I keep?'

Tyranids or Sisters is always the sticking point, but it really does end up being bugs.

Diversity of models, style and consistent violation of the basic tenets of play.
They don't really fit totally in any one arena other than hordes...but the MCs make em very UNLIKE orks.
They don't fit in mega CC armies like Khornate elements, the throwaway tarpits soundly sidestep that UNTIL the mired units get eaten on the nid players whim.
They don't fit in shooting, except the dakka fexes and dakka rants get into close range, and then eat the remainder.
They don't fight for revenge, revolt, or righteousness...they fight to assimilate. They really are what they were intended to be, Aliens meets 'Borg.

they consume, assimilate, and continue on to wreck the galaxy that is their current intended victim.
they are the tide, the every flowing death that sees us all in the dark...undercurrent of unidentifiable mortality in all of us.
Not to be killed, to die ignomiously on some battlefield...but to be consumed alive, in the dark, in our sleep or in the field. Swallowed. consumed whole or in pieces, but certainly alive to start.
becoming part of what is eating us...evaluated, discarded to the bare essence.
afterward, reabsorbed into the norn queens, we become a part of the gestalt that is the hive mind and its never ending quest to become pure and efficient. eventually, knowingly or not, our genetic material is used to further the growth and mutation of further beasts once again set to rain down upon an unsuspecting worldl to pluck its population from their beds and start the cycle all over again..

Xar
09-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Tau: because they have great style.
Orks: because they crack me up.

Chadmack
09-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Space Marines - Exorcist Chapter
Imperial Guard - 634th Cadians.

RogueGarou
09-01-2009, 11:08 PM
I started playing Necromunda, Van Saar gang. Then I added some Underhive Scum. Whoops, here comes an expansion... time to build those Spyrers. Wow, cool, Redemptionists are cool. Hmm, at this point I had several gangs, how did that happen? I always wanted to do a gang of Eschers but Necromunda had died in this area by this point. I also always liked the Arbites so I had bought all of the available Arbites in the local shop from the 2nd Ed line and then ordered a bunch of the older UK designs.

Then one day a good "friend" convinced me all I had to have to play was a squad box, a Leman Russ, and maybe a couple of blisters. Kind of weird to look back on things now and realize that a 1500 point standard game size army was only 20or so models. Anyway, I chose Guard because that was the army that appealed to me most. I've played them ever since. Being the person I am, I was all about reading and learning whatever background fluff I could and started getting the recently out of print Rogue Trader books as well as the new releases. That is where I learned about the Grey Knights, Inquisition, Sisters, Arbites in 40k, Assassins, the Mechanicus and the fell enemy of Chaos.

My Grey Knights were a squad of five Grey Knight Terminators. That was the standard and only unit for them at the time and only used as an allied attachment. I picked up Assassins, Mechanicus, Inquisitors but there were not any models for the Sisters. Yet. I was slavering when the Sisters came onto the horizon and my friends picked me up an Immolator and a squad of Seraphim to feed the addiction they had started in the first place.

Then it was entirely my choice to begin playing Chaos. Daemons, Marines, Cultists, they are all my playthings. Muhahaha. I chose them because of the tragic story of the Heresy, a bunch of cool, interesting models, no one else was playing Chaos, and because without a good villain the hero can not ever achieve the level of a truly epic hero. Imagine Batman without the Joker or Ra's Al' Ghul or Superman without Lex Luthor, or Oreoes without Milk. It's madness.

So now, I have Guard, Chaos Marines, Chaos Daemons, Daemon Hunters, and Witch Hunters. And a bunch of my old models are finally coming back into the game like Thudd Guns and Blood Slaughterers. I am very glad that I never broke down and bought an old Armorcast Baneblade or Shadowsword because the Forgeworld and plastics are awesome. They are soon to be gracing my shelf, I am sure.

Valkerie
09-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Space Marines, Sisters of Battle, Demonhunters, Imperial Guard, (both loyal and traitor), an all Inqusition force of stormtroopers, also Dark Eldar, and I'm starting a Chaos Space Marine army.
I get bored easily playing only one army.

Darkseer
09-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Woah, I'm amazed this thread is still going!

Hats off to RogueGarou for so much Necromunda :cool:

Thantoes
09-02-2009, 12:29 AM
I play Ultramarines because I enjoy the fluff and colour scheme.

Tau because they are not marines and I like how the models look.

And just started a IG army because I really like the new Leman Russ models :)

Funkenschlag
09-02-2009, 03:54 AM
I've had an Ork army for around twenty years and a Chaos Space marine one for slightly less time. Weirdly I've only had n Imperial marine chapter (Homebrew) for around ten-ish years. They are my biggest army though (12,000+ points!). It's sometimes strange to think that I've got models older than some of the people I've played against.

Bloodiedknight
09-02-2009, 03:57 AM
My main army has been my space wolves, right from when I played as a kid. These days I play the praetorian army I've been converting over the summer.

Bomma
09-02-2009, 04:27 AM
2500 points of Khornate marines.

1000 points of Tau.

Blood for the blood god and all that.. love close combat (first army ever was BAs in the days when rhino rushes ruled).

Tau for the models, background and its a total different style of army.

Looking at expanding my Tau, expanding into Apoc territory with Khorne and starting another army.. Tyranids? Guard? Marines? Orks? So many choices :confused: :cool:.

B.

Johan
09-02-2009, 05:35 AM
Iron Hands quick stike force, supported bij an Imperial Guard tank heavy force. Because who doesn't like to paint tanks and even marines need some support after initial contact with the enemy.

scadugenga
09-02-2009, 05:40 AM
I've played Eldar for the last 20 years, and nothing but Eldar until the last year or so, when I started picking up Guard, and Space Marines.

I started with Eldar back in RT days because 2 of my friends were already into Marines, 1 into Squats, and 1 into Orks. Left Eldar as the one option left. Couldn't be happier either, as they fit my play style perfectly.

Shadowseer
09-02-2009, 06:52 AM
i play Tau becasue it was me very first army and i love the theme around them with anime and fish. :) i play them also because they are my type of play style bait them and shoot the bajesus into the enermies :D. Even a fish can bit back you know :p

ebolazaire
09-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Been playing Tyranids since 2nd ed.
Currently sitting with roughly 6000pts worth...
Unfortunately all my little plastic children are currenty in storage whilst I'm working abroad.

lupo1982
09-02-2009, 07:38 AM
I got Blood Angels , Orks and Imperial guard

Rangerrob
09-02-2009, 07:48 AM
3 armies...with a blog for each of them.

Eldar - My primary army - many generations of eldar figs / models. Tend to play them with anything that takes dice out of my opponents hands. Also lean towards a "Tough" to kill force - Wraightguard, Wraithlords, Pathfinders in cover...
http://alaitoc.blogspot.com/

Imperial Guard - loosely based on the "Richard Sharpe" books and movies. All metal mordian force that was sitting on my shelf for 15 years or so, just primed. Painted them all this year. 6 vet squads mostly with sniper rifles.
http://mordian95thrifles.blogspot.com/

Space Marines - painted for the FLGS - and I got to keep the minis once they were done with the display.
http://greenhouseguardians.blogspot.com/

TheRuss
09-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Orks are my one and only army I love how cheap they are and while at the same time being great in close combat

Dahli.Llama
09-02-2009, 08:01 AM
I play Eldar, Chaos and just started Tyranid.

Eldar is my #1 army. I love the look and play. Very tactically interesting.

Chaos is a small force just for something different, and the Nids were just due to Space Hulk's release. Though if the new Nid codex is good, that may become a new favorite.

Zaklifean
09-02-2009, 08:51 AM
My current armies are:

Hawk Lords marines - 6300 points (including a thunderhawk and a stormsword they "acquired") Most of the marines are RB01 (or is it RGB01? **** I am a graphic designer, so I always think RGB01 lol) I also have 2 RT dreads to go along with the newer dreads.

Evil Sunz orks - about 2300 points-ish. Mostly new stuff, black reach, etc. I do have the old orks and gretchin from the 2nd edition boxed set, including the card deff dread. Those are not included in my points, but I could probably throw them in to almost reach 2500. My ork army also includes a skullhamma for apoc.

IG - I have roughly 1300 points of guard. They are also a mix of early RT guard and newer guard stuff. These guys dont get a whole lot of play, but occasionally I will throw them out there.

JavaKnight
09-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi I'm a dedicated Dark Eldar player, just can't wait for the new codex.
I also have Tau, Space Marine and a Space Ork armys. I started playing 40K with Tau (Ouch!) and picked DE as my army of choice, the Marines and orks is just for distraction.

Loki73
09-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Crimson Fists. Always like the RT cover art and the back story its fun being near extinction!

Saint Omerville
09-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Blood Angels, Sisters, Thousand Sons, Black Legion, Grey Knights, Iyanden, Guard, and Daemons.

I have been playing Blood Angels since Codex: Angels of Death. I have been playing Sisters since they got their codex in second edition. For these reasons, these armies are my one true love.

I tend to play BA similarly to a more codex chapter, I don't really load up on Veteran assault squads, assault squads, or furiosos. I tend to play a more mobile firepower army, backed by the obligatory Death Company.

-Mike

bloodangel001
09-02-2009, 09:50 AM
My fav are Dark Angels
With all the fluff and back story there amazing

Ive been playing them sence way back in the first addation of space hulk (Death Wing exspantion) ive always loved the indian/Knight feel to the army.

I have also collected many other armys over the years (bloodangels,necrons,sisters,salamanders,guard,tau ,deathwatch) to name a few...

tcraigen
09-02-2009, 09:51 AM
I got my start with the lone paint demo marine. I painted hime red. Now days I have nearly 2.5 companies of Blood angels marines. The 2nd and 3rd and about 35 scouts of the 10th, toss in a bunch of vets and various other and you have my giant force. I also have a small collection of impirial guard, I love the Inquisition so I built a small personal army to acompany my Inquisitors. I have a good sized catachan force but rarely use them, They were built for jungle fighting and were my early painting work one day I will have to clean them up,... one day. Toss in a bunch of Tyranids to be the villains in a jungle fight and that covers almost it all these days.

DeanWink
09-02-2009, 09:58 AM
My main army are Tyranids and I have about five thousand points of 'Nids.

I also have about 4000 points of Imperial Guard not counting four Super Heavies. A lot of these points are in the form of 12 Leman Russ tanks.

A small army of Ultramarines that I'm slowly building up and some Grey Knight support for my IG.

Rahakanji
09-02-2009, 10:08 AM
IG and Night Lords:
Night Lords because i like their style, and as my first army, was easy to play back then.
IG because i like the normal man vs big alien Monster theme...

GreyHunter
09-02-2009, 10:08 AM
I play Iron Warriors because of the Storm of Iron book which is a great read and I like playing Obliterators and the Iron Warriors are the only legion fluff wise that makes it ok to play 9! I also have around 500 points of Lamenters who I find fun to play with for thier background and because the badab minidex has inspired me to collect them.

GH

PlaguedOne
09-02-2009, 11:23 AM
When I first started playing back in 2nd Edition, I loved the armor of Space Marines. Starting off with SMs is very surprising to many of you, I'm sure! To be more specific, I love the color green, so I tend to gravitate towards those factions. Thus, I looking into the Dark Angels first and really enjoyed their background, so that was my faction of choice. The robes, the dark secrets, and the specialist Deathwing and Ravenwing really drew me to them.

Alas, it was not to last. It wasn't so much that I grew tired of them, but more than EVERYBODY in the area was a Space Marine player. So I decided to drop my Dark Angels and branch out. In the end, I could not get away from how much I liked the 3+ armor saves, so I moved to Chaos. At the time, I was very much undivided, and created my own small Chaos "Legion" who wore very dark purple armor with silver trim. If I remember correctly, I called them something lame like "Shadow Warriors" or some such. However, the lure of things green eventually shifted my gaze to Grandfather Nurgle. At first they were just some tough guys I'd include with my normal CSMs, but it did not take long for me to fall completely. Soon I was loyal only to Papa Nurgle and shifted my army to pure Death Guard just before 3rd Edition hit. Since then, I have been a Death Guard player. All Nurgle, all the time.

More recently, to have some contrast to painting puss and goo, I picked up the Tau. I enjoyed the anime-ish look and cleaner models to paint. I still enjoy them as my smaller side army.

spinny
09-02-2009, 01:14 PM
After many years away from the hobby when i got back into it two years ago i started a daemonhunter army, partly because i loved the model, partly because i loved the fluff, but mainly because i wanted an army with a low model count as i didn't want to get bogged down with to much painting after so long not doing any.

Once that army reached two thousand points or so i stated getting bored of silver so started a tau army. This was because i loved the futuristic look of them and i wanted an army which while not a horde had a higher model count.

This is now at 1750 (the level we play in my local store) and now i am starting to build a world eater army. This is so i can have a pure close combat army to balance the other two which are far more shootier.

What next i wonder?

Brother Mord
09-02-2009, 02:02 PM
I love my Black Templars due to the different play style vs normal marines and their cool black and white paint scheme.

I play IG due to they are just normal down trodden humans and they are totally different to my marine armies.

I am building a Imperial Fist army just to have a Codex chapter and play Tyrannids to have an "evil" army to throw against my friends.

Fantasy
I love everything about my Vampire Counts army, undead were my first army I collected. fun fun.

Empire to have something different.

Skaven because they are cool and oh so funny.

JavaKnight
09-02-2009, 02:23 PM
I enjoy my Dark Eldar army as they are so unpredictable the one day you can slaughter opponents army and the next day he will destroy yours if you make a mistake.:rolleyes::p

Tsear
09-02-2009, 02:29 PM
I play Tyranids and Eldar. Eldar are my favorite because they can be very maneuverable, and their specialists make them very powerful if played correctly. Tyranids I like more for the fluff, as the unstoppable wave of aliens is just awesome. I also play Tyranids more in friendly games, as my Eldar lists tend to be quite brutal.

Shas'O D'Narb
09-02-2009, 02:37 PM
I only recently got into the hobby so the only army I play is Tau. The reason is because I loved them in Dawn of War and I also have politically socialist leanings... and since 40K can be forced onto Napoleonic tactical analogs, my belief of firepower > shock also works well with the Tau.

MaidenManiac
09-02-2009, 03:40 PM
I currently have 3 40k armies. I have sold/traded 4 armies before these ones, all back in RT/2nd ed days...

Space Wolfs: My 5th army. Having had a looooong feast in the Fang, aka since mid 3d, due to its very linear playstyle. Around 3500 pts strong(a bit clueless atm, might be more, most certainly will in about a month!).

Emperors Children: Fitting enough my 6th army:D This was my "I need to get a 40k army again choice" somewhere around late 3d. Played with the 3,5 version of the CSM codex this footslogging army, all sonic weapon based was a pure joy to field. Add some Daemonettes and a Daemon Prince as Lord and the setup was complete! Everything could walk around and always react and still shoot a lot. I really liked playing that army!
The current CSM codex have left me with lots of unuseable Blastermasters and a sour mode. So far 10 Berzerkers and 2 Obliterators has been hooked on smack, and a plan for Plague Marines have arisen too. The army is also growing more and more mechanized while adapting to 5th. 3000 pts.

Tau: 7th army. Got this one second hand for a killer price. Around 5000 pts all in all. Im still in the process of cleaning the models from the former owners "paintjob" so this will be a long road to walk...

yesitdoesindeedhurt
09-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Well I tend to play a couple of differnet armies the First and foremost is Dark Angels. Love thier fluff, who would not want to play the legion I that existed before the imperium itself? Of course I doubt I will every finish painting the models since I have the chapter so I will settle for just the army at this time. In addition I am redoing my Sisters of Battle army to have it fall more in line with the changesin game play 5th editon brought with it. After all that I am still putting together my steel legion guard army and figuring out what exactly I want to field in my Daemonhunters force.

Triple Threat
09-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Tyranids: My first and only army. I have a wide variety (nearly 3000 pts!) of my favorite bugs. OMNOMNOM.

I would like to start a Blood Angels army for their shear awesomness and I love their fluff. However, I will wait until the new codex comes out because their rules are pretty bland right now (I want the black rage and red thirst to do crazy--this means fluffy not just storng--things to the whole army! Maybe if a squad loses a certain amount of guys in an assault one turns into a crazed marine if they fail a leadership...And I want the new models to come out. The current ones are boring (I love the Space Hulk ones, but want more fangs!)

I want to start a Death Guard army, but will wait until a more fluffy chaos codex comes out or they get their own codex.

winknugget
09-02-2009, 05:39 PM
I play Nids and Marines right now. However, a lot of my energy goes toward keeping my brother interested in his CSM army

Dia
09-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Interesting story.

Originally I had intended on collecting only Tau and forming a small but potent force. Now I have about three tmes as many Space Marines as I have Tau.

Carlsson
09-02-2009, 06:39 PM
My only army is Space Wolves, I really liked the wild feel to the army, it just seemed like it would be a fun army to field, and has remained so!

Thought about starting other armies from time to time, but none have had the same attraction the wolves did when I first started in

Abuzorg
09-02-2009, 07:13 PM
I play a pure Thousand Sons army, I started to collect a few Tzeentch demons recently as well. In total, I have about 3.5k points.

Unclehomefries
09-02-2009, 07:26 PM
I play IG Cadians with a special color scheme and background. I enjoy IG because they are the most 'realistic' of the 40k forces and the idea of the struggle of the common soldier appeals to me. Not every battle is the defense of a vital shrine, or a desperate assault on a tyranid infested craft world.

I used to play SM because I was hooked into 40k via SMs. They still retain their coolness, but my playstyle doesn't lend well to small-er number of troops, resilient as they may be. That being said, I think my next army (2-3 years down the road) will be a pre-heresy Alpha Legion, because I really liked the book Legion.

Levitas
09-02-2009, 08:26 PM
I have 3.6ks worth of fully painted Raven Guard. Which is mainly mechanized backed up by tons of jump packs. We have the fastest terminators in the game :D I run shrike (or my version of him) and have several back up hqs with 'counts as' kahn and lysander. I avoid the fluffy use of drop pods and lots of scouts, but love the fluff of Raven Guard. (what little there is)

I am returning to the wolves after a 10 year gap next month. The thought of new models is just too tempting.

Dia
09-02-2009, 08:29 PM
I have 3.6ks worth of fully painted Raven Guard. Which is mainly mechanized backed up by tons of jump packs. We have the fastest terminators in the game :D I run shrike (or my version of him) and have several back up hqs with 'counts as' kahn and lysander. I avoid the fluffy use of drop pods and lots of scouts, but love the fluff of Raven Guard. (what little there is)

I am returning to the wolves after a 10 year gap next month. The thought of new models is just too tempting.

While I'm not really a fan of SW, I'm a fan of cannibalizing bits. In that capacity I share your eagerness for the release of the new SW and BA models.

Vuron
09-02-2009, 10:44 PM
I have space marines - vanilla/ultras. After 10+ years I am taking the training wheels off and starting an Eldar army (something I swore I would never do).

Ignatius
09-02-2009, 10:50 PM
I started with Necrons for easy paint and easy play then started A S.O.B. army that switched to Witchunters (lusting all the while for Dark Eldar) somehow in a trade ended up with some Space Marines and went a little wild with no plan and am currently sitting with about 5K worth. Orks came next then I inherited (from my 2 sons) a Dark Eldar army, a Tau army(Kroot heavy) and a small Eldar force. Someones friend off loaded a small chaos army into my pile and I'm starting to notice some genestealers and gaunts running around in my room . My painting mantra is necron gray, sister red, space marine blue, ork green. I've got to finish building and painting those 4 before starting on the rest. I know there is an I.G Mech. force looking for me (tanks,tanks, tanks) Needless to say I don't focus :confused:to well but it's all fun.

Kelmon
09-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Since 17 years i play eldar now - never tried another army despite the tons of tempting models.

DoctorEvil
09-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Well, I got into 40K because of Inquistor Coteaz. I was at a co-workers desk one weekend, and he had a copy of WD with Coteaz on the cover. Loved the model, so I got that box set. Next thing you know I'm collecting a Demonhunters army and I'm official into 40k.

But DH is a very hard army for a beginner, so I started collecting Imperial Guard stuff, becasue the tanks are way too cool & it was compatible with DH as allies. Love the Guard, they're now my primary army and I can easily field several thousand points for Apocalypse games (and still growing). I've also been buying Tallarn figures whenever I see them on sale, and someday will have a small Tallarn army to go with my "standard" IG army.

Then of course I got a good deal on the stuff to make a very small Space Wolves 13th company and some parts for Witchhuners allies when a bunch of stores went out of business in the area. And of course since my buddy plays Tyranids and they look like fun, I picked up a big mega-bundle a few years back and got some extra 'Fexes.

Then of course AoBR came out. I ended up with two of those and low and behold with a few more purchases, I ended up with a 2000+ points in Space Marines and Orks. Good figure.

So, my favorites in order......
1. My Imperial Guard Army (65th Yziridian - Urban Assault Specialists)
2. Orks (I've only played one battle, but this army is TONS of fun to play and to convert models for)
3. My Inquistioral Forces (A full DH army of 1850 pts & some miscellaneos WH components)
4. Tyranids (Fun to paint and model the 'Fexes)
5. 13th Company Space Wolves - (It was fun to play under the old rule and fun to model)
6. Space Marines (Still haven't played with this force yet....go figure)

Thantoes
09-03-2009, 10:29 AM
5 or 6k Ultramarines
2k Tau
Just started an IG army - so far around 175 points but lots more to come :)

volrath8754
09-03-2009, 10:31 AM
I have my DH 2K with inducted guardsmen (another 2K).
Then theirs my Imperial Fists 2K usually allying some DH
Finally I have just started my imperial guard / DH army!!

I cant wait to field combined imperium in Apocalypse !!!:cool:

Spiff
09-03-2009, 12:29 PM
I have Imperial Guard, Space Marines (Black Templar Successor), and Dark Eldar (though I ditched my old DE warriors a while back).

Since the Guard are currently my largest, most assembled and painted army, I love them the most and use them almost exclusively these days. With the new codex, there are so many variations on IG lists I could use, I doubt I'll get sick of them any time soon.

myhobbyroom
09-03-2009, 04:46 PM
I enjoyed playing Epic many years ago.I have been away from gaming for a long time. My first love is building kits of all kinds. Recently I have been going to the BOLS site to gain some knowledge of the games available . My favorite vehicle, in Epic , was the Leviathan. I was able to down load the rules and scratch build a Leviathan. I entered in an Apocalypse game, had a blast , and met some very friendly, helpful people. Thank you to all who have helped me enjoy the hobby again.

yergerjo
09-03-2009, 04:54 PM
11,000 points of Marines (only 30 models not painted): Retired and buried in the closet after this last 'Ard Boyz Semi Final

Dark Eldar: Almost done with my 2000 point list...Vect, a Raider and a few infantry models left to paint
Thousand Sons: Boxed and waiting to be put together and painted

Ferro
09-03-2009, 08:02 PM
I have well over 10,000 points in Tyranids. My prize army. This army contains everything except for gargoyles. Still holding out for those plastic gargoyles.

LOL man, you're typing my army description!

11,400 pts Tyranids; 90% painted and beautiful.
5,500 pts Red Scorpions; 20% painted, lots still under construction.

I love the hobby/construction aspect of it as much as the gameplay. I'm very detail-oriented in my model construction and spend a lot of time getting the specifics right. While I'm no award-winning painter, I'm very satisfied with my 'better than average table-top' standard.

It was the Anphelion Project book got me inspired to build some marines for my nids to play with. Here's a scene from that world just before its consumption by the hive:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/aguave5150/DSC03070.jpg
Nid log: Linky. (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155184)

bigmackdadd
09-03-2009, 08:03 PM
I play space wolves and I am currently painting my army 13th comp colors, I love all of the fluff, plus we are the toughest, but also i love how they dont follow marneaus calgar and his line of pansies, I love how they are also very nordic, I love all nordic armies, and I also love the Ragnar Blackmane books, and the power of all of the strange aspects of the army, all in all they are just fun to play

Servant
09-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Ehem, in chronological order!

3E
1000 pts of Craftworld Eldar, junked and lost
First ever miniatures I owned, I remember that day I popped into teh hobby store and bought a box of Guardians on a whim.

1000 pts of Black Templars, expanded
1000 pts of World Eaters, transformed into >>

4E
2000 pts of Word Bearers, alive and shelved
2000 pts of Craftworld Eldar, sold
2000 pts of Black Templars

5E
500 pts of Tyranids
3000 pts of Imperial Fists

myhobbyroom
09-04-2009, 07:53 AM
I have just returned to gaming (played Epic years ago), and have been building up an Ork force and Imperial guard army.

CrayolaSmoker
09-04-2009, 09:11 AM
"What army do you play and why."

Oddly enough, I don't really play. I build, and model, and collect, but my playing is so sporadic as to have to refresh myself on the rules each time I play. Armies I own, in no particular order:

Armored Krumpany: Started back before the Orks got their new 'dex, this was my take on an Ork Armored Company. I've even got a half-finished codex written up for 'em. I hope to get back to it one day, as I love letting my inner Mek fly on the scratch-built and kit-bashed models.

Ravenwing: Got my first squad finished and painted... and haven't been able to bring myself to put together the other two boxes. Every time I sit down to build a biker, the sheer amount of parts cleaning turns me off and I seek another project. One of these days I hope to power through it, as I kitted out my Predatos and Vindicators with Ravenwing iconography that'd be a shame to waste.

Sons of the Forge/Forge Brethren: Home-brew successor chapter to the Iron Hands with strong Adeptus Mechanicus ties. I've assembled the entirety of 5th Company (2 Assault, 6 Tactical, 2 Devastator) and have a good chunk of 1st (1 Vanguard, 1 Sternguard, 2 Venerable Dreadnaughts). These guys are just waiting on custom shoulder pads and some servo arms before I can paint 'em up and call 'em complete.

Unnamed IG Project: The currently "active" army. 1000 points of traitor guard for the 2010 Adepticon Team Tourney. One of the most challenging and (hopefully) rewarding projects I've taken on from a hobby aspect, this army will also force me to start playing the game as I don't want to let my teammates down. 'bout damn time, really!

And I've got themes for two more Ork forces and a Chaos: Space Marine force that I'd love to explore.

In the "not quite 40K" category, I've got Ork, SM and CSM fleets for Battlefleet Gothic, Ork, Imperial, and Chaos forces for Aeronautica Imperialis, and a copy of Space Hulk I hope to pick up tomorrow morning.

bloodangel001
09-04-2009, 09:17 AM
as of right now i play Salamanders, Bloodangels, Darkangels, Necrons, Nids And
Ig
My Favs are still the marines but anything is posibel with each new codex...
Timmy

Gamerfunk
09-04-2009, 09:40 AM
I play eldar the most but also have Darkangels
About 4,000 point of eldar and somewhere around 8,000 points of Darkangels

Rafen
09-05-2009, 12:08 AM
I play
Blood Angels

Orks

CSM - Nurgle building in progress

and I own a SOB army for when my fiance learns the game more and then can get into the sisters more :D

Goresmack
09-05-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm a greenskin that moved to a craftworld via drop pods. I've always played Orks, since 2nd ed., till the lastest incarnation (long story about wartrukks :( ), then feel in love with stealer via space hulk and have continued to mess around with Nids, of course that started me on a path to Deathwing. A few years ago my brother dropped his Salamanders in my lap and my buddy stopped playing and gave me his Eldar.

I love the greenskins the most but field Eldar regularly.

-Goresmack

sukigod
09-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Orks - 4K painted (yes) and another 3K or so unbuilt/unpainted.

Crimson Fists - 750 unpainted.

Been playing since '95 and always been an Ork. I go the minis to start with from some frineds who wanted another player. I've got a small marine force to putz with and am seriously considering IG with the new codice's armor contingent.

The orks can be seen here...

http://www.bigshoota.com

Ivarr
09-05-2009, 09:35 AM
I guess I am an addict...

I own

Orks 3k+ started them when I saw the first pics of the Stompa kit.

Nids 1500pts loved the idea but could not bring myself to paint them.

Space Marines 8k+ I have 2k painted in legion of the damned, a battle company with additional tank support in black widow colors, and 2k waiting to be built when the new wolves kits come out

Imp Guard 2k catachans This army is my favorite by far, I have much more fun with hoard type armies as I never seem to make armor saves anyway...and guard are expendable. I recently sold a very large cadian army on ebay and am planning to build guard back to apocalypse level with the newer tank models. I have 7 Valkyrie models on the shelf waiting for an army to transport. I also own 6 baneblade variants, a shadowsword, storlord, a macharius w/vulcan megabolter and a valdor, as I am addicted to big armor.

Dark Angels 1250 mostly unbuilt

Chaos Space Marines 2k Just Kharn the Betrayer and a bunch of berserkers with a couple of tanks. Who does not get in the mood to collect "blood for the blood god"??

Until this week I owned 1750 or so in eldar. just cannot bring myself to field space fairies for any length of time.

I have one squad of Tau firewarriors and a broadside painted in bright neon colors that I cannot bring myself to part with also.

I am certainly addicted....and cannot wait for my copy of Space Hulk to show up.

sorienor
09-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Orks are my main army, started playing in 3rd ed. and have all of it painted. Dunno how many points but at least 4k

Earlier this year picked up Tau as a second army, finished painting them in a bit over 5 months. At least 3k worth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnQZkWMp66A

Started on Blood Angels, but funds are limiting how fast I can go

http://www.youtube.com/user/Da40kOrks

ChrisW
09-06-2009, 03:08 AM
hello fellow plastic junkies....

i got sucker-punched into the hobby.... better to explain it this way:

two of the gaming group were meeting up to have a painting night for a couple months, as Dave always presented the D&D nights with fully painted minis for the huge battles we were looking forward to seeing what they were up too. we get all invited out to see a 40K game. Steve had his mostly Khorne army with some noise marine backup vs Dave's tyrinids. couldn't really tell you what points they were playing at but they were using a ping-pong table half and it was pretty much covered with minis.... needless to say we get introduce to the game from the proper standpoint and get coached through a few turns....

after looking through the red book and a few others that were available at the time we all sat down and chose our armies. i was the only one to take space marines initially, (well i wanted to go Chaos but that was already covered) and made the Dark Angels my own. close to a company and a half or so later i just recently sold that army ('96-09).

however the bite of chaos was never far as i was constantly picing up pieces here and there and storing them away until the DA was 'finished'. after graduating collage i started painting my chaos undivided force which has almost doubled the size of the Dark Angels i had owned. with the current addition of the chaos codex i found a good portion of that was another army and just needed to buy the book, daemons rise triumphant.

so now weighing heavy on the 'bad' side i was finding i was requiring some balance, but before i could do somthing silly and start buying more stuff a friend decided he was getting out of the hobby and sold me his stuff. i inherited a small boatload of more chaos troops and somthing new to me, the resin-crack of forge world. my friend was planning to build a Red Scorpions army and had a good portion of the goodies required to get things going.

so as it stands i have somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000 + pts of chaos undivided, 2000 pt + of chaos daemons, and 3000 or so points of Red Scorpions. none of which will ever be 'finished' :D

Chaos - everything the good guys got + cookies. modeler's dream army, anything you can build could fit in the codex somewhere.

Red Scorpions - Resin Crack! the forge world stuff is pretty cool, i can almost afford to buy more LOL.

therealjohnny5
09-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Started Crimson fist but since one of our group is a Tau player quickly realized i needed to close distance and the lack of Tac Squads was spanking me. So i was reading and fell for Raven Guard. Love the army and i play them to fluff. Almost finished the entire 3rd and 1st companies with smatterings of 7th and 10th. It's proven a very interesting tactical challenge when you play a fast striking, mech light, CC army against all kinds of opponents. But that's what i love about the game.

Second army, Nids...gotta love them. ever since Aliens...

Heavily considering an Ork army next, though Necron, and IG are appealing as well...i'm trying to get a different tactical feel from my RG but it's tough when if i don't pay attention to the fluff you can play the Marines almost any way....I really like conversions so that's what appeals to me about Ork. Simple color scheme with Necron also appeals. Not really looking forward to another hoard army though...sooooo much painting....

BaxterRicketts
09-02-2010, 05:30 PM
I have Tyranids, Chaos Daemons and a Genestealer Cult.
Tyranids: My first army, I fell in love with them watching a demo game of Battle For Macragge. The way the genestealers ripped the pants off of the "Finest Warriors of Humanity" just made me smile in a way that makes me smile even more. Hovering around 7000 pts (and 150 Genestealers), they offer me just about every way to teardown the most elite forces in the galaxy and I cannot get enough of it!
Chaos Daemons: The second army. I love Papa Nurgle's background (Of the Chaos Gods, he loves you the most. But if you mess up, he spanks you the hardest). Combined with Pink Horrors of Tzeentch and their warpfire, I like to think of my army plaguebearers infecting the enemy with terrible diseases before the Horrors cleanse whatever survives.
Genestealer Cult: My work in progress and greatest source of joy and shame. Using the Citadel Journal list (sorry BoLS and FLoT, but it just seems more complete) I have amassed so far nearly 1250 pts of hybrids, traitor Catachans
and (to my deepest depression) 66 Brood Initiates, of which 46 are ,*shudders*, Lord of the Rings Wood Elves and Warriors of Harad. But its for a great cause; the overthrow of Imperial authority...

david5th
09-04-2010, 04:18 AM
Ultramarines 5th compnay - 12,000 points approximately. My 3rd SM amry i've collected, the first two being Blood Angels. Not sure why i chose them but this was back in 4th edition and felt like a change from Eldar, Necrons and Tyranids i was playing.

Currently building an Imperial Guard PDF armt based on the Ultramar PDF idea.

sangrail777
09-04-2010, 06:45 AM
Blood Angels over 15,000 points worth. Most of 1st co., all of 5th, all sanguinary gaurd etc etc.
This army got me started in the game from the old space hulk video game on 3DO.

Black legion- 5000 worth Had ta have a crew to run along with this Horus model i got from scibor.

Cadians 108th regiment - 3500ish mainly a super heavy group with support elements

Tau - 4000'ish really like there look

Necrons - 6000'ish got these for my wife to use, but i do have a good time useing the pylons against superheavies

orks - 7000'ish gotta love a green horde running across the table and the stompas are just awesome

Tyranids - 4500'ish mainly for the genestealers and warriors

grey knights strike force of 1000

sisters of battle 1500

lost and the damned 2000 got this for the zombies

Legio Astraman - 2 Reavers and a Warhound

Duke
09-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Well I have been playing ince rouge trader, though I took a little break between 2nd and 3rd editions.

Once I got back into it I won a GT in LA with my 3rd ed rhino rush Blood Angels and the prize was 60% off one purchase, after asking what purchase meant they said that it was one "Check out and could be as much as I wanted to spend." So I got together about $1,200 and bought:

- 25k worth of Eldar
- 2500k of Space Wolves for a friend
- 2500k of Necron for a nother friend.

Now i have:

15,000- 20,000 Worth of Space Marines/ Blood Angels (If I equip it right and include all my "old models")
25k of Eldar (Including titans and superheavies.)
2k of really old orks

lately my really old marine models and my really old ork models have been given to my two sons, in an effort to get the second generation of gamer going, lol

Duke

Tynskel
09-04-2010, 08:42 AM
I may be misreading something here...

2500k = 2500000
25k = 25000

That's a pretty awesome deal... but for some reason I think you meant to say 2.5k

MarshalAdamar
09-04-2010, 09:14 AM
When I started playing I had Necrons and Tau because a friend of mine convinced me to buy his armies.

I bought some space wolves when they still had the old codex and I expanded from there. I got into Orks just because they came in the assault on black reach box.

So Now I have

Tau, Farsight enclave. I just like the story behind the renegade faction. Maybe 4000 points

Necrons, maybe 4000 points.

Space wolves = 4500 points

My home brewed chapter "The Lions of the Emperor" (Black templar) = 6000 points

Orks, Deff Skulls = 7000 points

And I just made a new army for no reason other than I got the models for CHEAP

CSM (Word Bearers) = 3000 points (about 3000 more unpainted)

All those numbers are fully painted but IO have probably another 10,000 points unpainted or in bits waiting to go into one of hundreds of projects I have in mind.

eldargal
09-04-2010, 09:49 AM
I have around 42k of Eldar, 1500 Dark Eldar and maybe 1500 points of girly marines.

Connjurus
09-04-2010, 12:41 PM
I started playing with the Farsight Enclave back with the old Tau codex, bought a Tau megaforce, some extra Crisis suits and a Broadside, and of course, O'Shovah. :) But then I went out and bought about 1,500 points worth of Chaos Space Marines...and I was hooked. I'd always loved their fluff, and one thing led to another, and now I have like 12k points worth of them.

isotope99
09-04-2010, 12:46 PM
I have about 5k of orks (inc super heavies) which are my main army. Primary reasons are that you get lots of freedom when choosing ork units as most are pretty cheap and more importantly they are the most fun to convert.

I have almost finished my 1.5k of daemons as I wanted to do some serious conversion work on the big monsters.

Other armies that are unfinished and why, as you can see I suffer a bit from attention deficit disorder when it comes to completing armies to a playable state:

Tyranids (too many boring gaunts to paint) 1/4 completed
Space Marines& counts as blood angels (keep getting distracted by conversion opportunities like the storm raven so I don't have enough scoring units yet). 1/2 completed
Eldar (ditto, I have almost finished the phoenix court of khaine with 5/6 phoenix lords but don't yet have much in the way of troops) 3/4 completed
Chaos (in the process of revamping my old nurgle cult army but it's not really competitive with only expensive plague marines, plus I threw away some of my old models with rubbish paint jobs) 2/3 completed
Adeptus mechanicus counts as guard (latest army only just started, I'm replacing the tanks with various knight models, which are basically mini titans) 1/8 completed

Xzarol
09-04-2010, 12:59 PM
I have about 1500 points of Daemonhunters, 3000 points of Imperial Guard, and around 500 points of Blood Angels (starting a combined army with a friend).

Only been in this Hobby for a couple years, haha.

Duke
09-04-2010, 03:00 PM
I may be misreading something here...

2500k = 2500000
25k = 25000

That's a pretty awesome deal... but for some reason I think you meant to say 2.5k

Nah I have 25000k worth, lol... The k was a typo I bought 25k and 2k and 2k

C'Thulhu
09-04-2010, 04:19 PM
I have 3K of Necrons 1K of Tau and 2K of Tyranids.

Necrons are my main army also my first. I like how simple they are to play and paint, but I can't wait for the new codex.

I recently picked up Tau to tide me over until the new 'cron codex is out. I love their mobility and flexibility.

My brother plays the Tyranids mainly, but I play them from time to time.

DarkLink
09-04-2010, 04:34 PM
1500 points of girly marines.

Heh, I'd like to see that. Reminds me of that Hello Kitty army

I have ~1500 points of Wittchunters, ~2500 of Daemonhunters, and ~1500 of Eldar that I recently picked up for remarkably cheap.

Spiv
09-04-2010, 06:43 PM
5k of eldar, 4k of deathwing/marines. And when the new dark elder codex comes out, I'll be checking it out.
I've played elder for about 12years but took a long break and didn't expand the army for a number of years because I didn't have time for the modeling aspect.

I usually run very specialized units because I love the challenge they present. Makes winning much more satisfying then using the streamlined lists of the interwebs.

Bedroom General
09-11-2010, 08:07 AM
I've been playing since 2nd ed, started through Necromunda, slippery slope!
17000pts Chaos Space Marines
5000pts Orks
2500pts Tau
2000pts Necrons
5000pts Eldar
IG and SM in boxes still
Building a table and terrain atm.
Love the plastic crack!:)

Porty1119
09-11-2010, 08:49 AM
1k Air Cav Guard. With FW Vulture, of course. Best vehicle model I've seen.
Currently preparing to build a board for my new garage (oh wow I love my new house :D)
And...drum roll please....AoBR Orks, a Hammerhead, Devilfish,Crisis,and some Fire Warriors

Kahoolin
09-17-2010, 02:08 AM
My main army at the moment is my guard - I like the WWI style over-the-top infantry charge backed by waves of russes, it catches my imagination. I'm a sucker for the ordinary human. I've got about 2250 of guard, and I'm planning on stopping when I get to 3000.

My secondary army is witch hunters, because I like the models and the holy warrior feel. I've got about 750 of sisters and 750 of Inquisition and ecclesiarchy.

Finally, I have my old orks, about 2000 pts worth. They are currently in storage awaiting a revamp. I played them in 4th ed back when orks sucked and by the time 5th came along and they started winning battles I was over them, the poor buggers :(

stonychavez
09-17-2010, 02:50 AM
I used to play back in 2nd edition which was Eldar and Blood Angels but all those models are long gone.. Last year I got back into the hobby and went with Space Marines, which was an epic fail as far as competitive goes because I had a love for scouts and fielded only scouts as troop choices.. don't think I ever won a game. Anywho I sold my army last year because I thought I was moving out of state for work, instead they needed me in south texas and I sold them for nothing. Since I moved back to Austin a few months ago I started a Chaos Marines and I am full on in love with them! I run 2k points and use khorne zerkers, a squad of plague marines, nurgle dp, lash sorc and oblits, with a defiler and greater demon, aswell as a squad of melta-chosen! It is by far the most fun of any list I have ever ran even though people call it cheesy!

andrewm9
09-17-2010, 06:13 AM
I've been playing since the introduction of 5th edition though I had been looking at army choices for a bit longer than that. I settled on Sisters of Battle. I really liked the idea of a an all femal earmy and teh religious zeal that they have. There are a lot of other factors behind my choice as well.

I've also enjoyed painting my army, though maintenance of them is proving to be a *****. since the paint chips so easily.

I have a second army too. That woudl be Chaos Daemons. I've spent a smal fortune on buying a lot fo Diaz daemonettes. I have over 100. I collected for low price of ~25$ each 12 metal Seekers of Slaanesh as well. Picked up 3 Soul Grinders and am using some Reaper models for my Daemon Princes. I wanted to collect and paint a more organic army. Though currently they reside in unpainted hell due to my laziness. I loved the look of these models which is the major reason I bought them. That I wanted to see how the other half played.

Gop
09-27-2010, 08:25 PM
2.5k Dark Eldar: This was one of my first armies. It's fast and furious but folds like cardboard if you get it wrong. Can't wait to see what the new codex holds!

3k Eldar: Potentially the most competitive army, with a high fluff content as well.

2k Necrons: Cool theme, can be quite competitive if played right. Easy to paint :)

3.5k SM: It's hard to not have some sort of SM army if you have a few. Mine are Salamanders. Have most units in the game (except FW stuff).

3k Orks: Currently working on Ork Wing with lots of meganobz and battlewagons.

3k Chaos: Mixed Chaos scum. Quite a competitive list which allows lots of mixing and matching.

3.5k IG: Very tank heavy, many Russes or variants of them with a few hellhounds, chimeras etc. Have to get some more troops.

2k Bits n pieces: Assassins, DH, WH and that kind of thing. Assassins are my favourite mini (esp. Culexus) and injecting them into a list makes for fun times (even if the lists are usually not that 'ard).

I've never been one to want 10k of an army. I'd rather smaller armies so I can have more!

asmodai650
09-28-2010, 06:19 AM
Might as well throw my armies in there, too.

Right now I have just over 3k of Ultramarine themed Deathwing (Ultra-wing), fully painted and based with the exception of a librarian that I never use.

I am also painting 3.5k of Space Wolves. These guys were my first army, and the learning curve going back to them from playing Deathwing for a year straight is pretty steep for me.

In between, I have played and owned several different armies, mostly marines of some sort. It just seems like I always wind up with so many marine bits it feel like I am wasting them if I don't do something with them!

Mal
09-28-2010, 08:12 AM
I've been playing since RT days (eep has it really been that long?).

During that time i've played almost every army under every ruleset... except for Tau... I don't like Tau.

Currently however I don't have many armies left, i've recently sold a few off.
What I do have is this:

500pts Sisters of Battle
3000+pts Orks
1750 pts Imperial Fists Space Marines
1500pts Death Guard Chaos Space Marines
2000pts Dark Eldar

As to why I have these armies... well the Sisters of Battle started out as part of a joint =][= force I was playing around with, but never completed, I have since sold most of them off leaving only a small company.

The Orks.. well they're Orks, do I really need a reason? I do?? Ok, well here goes then, its one of the only armies where you can field 200+ infantry in a 2K game and still have the bet part of 1k points left for toys... Of course what I didn't consider at the time is the pesky reality of actually painting that many boys.

The Imperial Fists Space Marines originated as a commision job I accepted, I was taked with painting a single tactical squad from the 5th battle company, which I did, but the buyer couldn't afford the price (I wish people would think about that before they commision the job), so I was left with 10 yellow marines. I decided I liked the unit so much that I turned them into an army, I did it on the cheap side, buying the worst painted/built minis off of ebay and striping them down and scrapping parts that had been wrecked salvaging what I could until I had enough parts to build an army (it cost me a little under £40 all in). The army was designed to be a purely show army so I spent some time making sure they were just right (14 months all in all), towards the end of the painting I was invited to a small event being held at my game club so I decided to test run the Fists... for a fluffy army they sure had some teeth. I won't be fielding them again however, I have far more competative forces to hand.

Death Guard Chaos Space Marines, this was another themed project I made, I got the inspiration for the army from the Horus Heresy book 'The Flight of the Eisenstein'. I decided I didn't want them to be chaos-y, nor did I want to do a pre-herey loyalist faction, so instead I did them as heresy era chaos converts, still with the white and green colours of the loyalist faction, but with some detrius starting to show on their armour. I used the chaos codex for these guys and I run them as nurgle marines led my a sorcorer, the only proxys I use is 2 RT era (1987) dreadnoughts I run as oblits.

Dark Eldar, I have this army for 2 reasons, yes one of the reasons is the imminent release of the new codex (stands back and waits for the flaming bandwagon attacks to cease), but the second reason is far more important to me.
Im fed up of space marines... its that simple.

I could have gone for orks, but I already have those, I also recently sold my nids and eldar so they are out, crons? nah too boring to paint and I don't like Tau... not many options left really.

JonnyRoxtar
09-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Hi Im Bob and Im addicted to Space marines.

It all started with My beloved Salamanders. About 3000 points of them now and Im updating them occasionally as theyre a bit old now and dated paint job wise.

Also have a Small Space Wolf army which is made up of Terminators only. Theyre kinda fun to play and easy to transport.

I started an Angels Sanguine army and toyed with the idea of an Imperial Fists army but lately Ive become bogged down in life so its all on hold.

The last time I painted anything with the Angels so heres what they look like.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Deusmex/The%20Angels%20Sanguine/DSCF2797light.jpg

I also have some Eldar not really played a game with them though.

But My all time favourite army were The Dark Eldar. I played them non stop from their release till Codex armageddon, when I took up the Sallies.
I instantly gelled with the DE I hear people say they are fragile and hard to win with, but honestly I never saw that at all. I stopped playing with them because they did look a bit pants and tbh it was a pain in the arse regluing bits on all the time .

I`ll work on the transport issue but I am sooooo excited right now with the new models. A new DE army is most definitely about to ruin my finances.