PDA

View Full Version : 40k Event

Aenir
08-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi there everyone, long time reader, first time poster, I am going to be running an event at my local game store, and would like your opinions on the special rules

As long as you are campaigning in the eye of terror, random things tend to happen, At the beginning of each player turn, roll a d6, this only lasts for the remainder of the turn

1-Nothing Happens, The warp swirls around you but does nothing but flicker menacingly

2-The Ground writhes and grabs at your tank treads and feet. All infantry models have the Slow and purposeful rule, Bikes, Vehicles and any non infantry vehicles roll 2d6 and can move up to their maximum move allowed.

IE a Fast vehicle rolls a 6 and a 3, it can move up to 9 or stay at 6, while a Rhino can roll 2 6s and can choose to move flat out at 12'

3- The Warp gathers itself up and blocks your vision. Play your turn as if Night Fighting rules are in play

4- Trees grow sentient and grass becomes thicker than steel, All terrain is counted as impassible, Troops inside can only shoot for this turn, and any unit fired upon is granted a 4+ Invulnerable save. Nothing else can go into said terrain as well.

5- Unspeakable horrors rise up in the corner of your vision, crying out for blood. All Units in your army must take a morale test or they become a quivering mass of jello for the remainder of the player turn and are not allowed to do anything, this does not bother Fearless troops or any equivalent, as they arnot bothered by the appearance of the spectres

6- A warpstorm appears. Place the 5' Templace in the middle of the board during the shooting phase and scatter it 3d6+5 inches, if you roll a hit, it scatters anyway. Any units under the template get moved 2d6 + scatter (always scattering) vehicles hit by the template do not move, but get turned around so that the front arc gets placed facing the direction of the arrow. In addition, while they can shoot, they cannot move next turn as their electrical systems (or equivalent) have shorted out. and they must spend the time repairing the damage

In any given player roll, if a player rolls 2 consecutive 6s, they roll for the warpstorm, but instead of moving or turning, any unit is sucked out of battle and put back into reserves (even if they are not eligible to be rolled for) and they are rolled for as normal, except all rolls for reserves are at a +1 as they were not thrown too far out

This means that on turn two, you need 3+ instead of 4 plus, turn 3 needs 2+ and turn four or later are automatic

I was thinking 500 point armies and then play as normal

Old_Paladin
08-23-2009, 07:06 PM
If by 'event' you mean, 'friendly game(s) for a bunch of people at once' then its pretty cool.
If you mean 'small tournament' then it could make people a little miffed [as things are too random and thus unbalancing; imagine the gunline army that gets 'slow and purposeful' followed by the assaulty army getting 'all terrain is impassable].

These rules do make it a random luck style of game.

Maybe to balance things a little. It's a single roll per 'game turn' and the same affect happens to both players.

Also, the wording is a little confusing for a couple things:
- For the 'all terrain is impassable' do you mean that 'all units firing from terrain grant their targets a 4+ save' or something else?
- I don't really understand the last paragraph at all by '2 consecutive 6's'. Do you mean like 'I roll two dice to hit and both are 6's, so I get a warpstorm.' or 'I roll a 6 to hit and then a 6 to wound, so I get a warp storm.' or 'I rolled a 6 for the event my last turn, and rolled a 6 for this one, so I get a worse kind of warpstorm.'?

I think that the low points games [500, maybe up to 750] are probably good, because of the all the extra stuff people have to remember. Although another part of me thinks that the total randomness will mean that it could cripple some armys in such a small game, as you just don't have the options of working around the problem.

ThePov
08-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Agreed, it is kind of cripplingly random. Small armies do help, but it's still a lot of very odd and ambiguous rules to remember. If the game is friendly, sure have fun with it. If it's supposed to be offical in anyway, I'd rework it to be a little less crazy.

Aenir
08-23-2009, 07:46 PM
It is a friendly match for people

the terrain is impassable means that no one can get in or out of terrain (or move anywhere in it), and anyone who is IN terrain, that shoots at someone, that unit shot at gets a 4+ invuln save

I meant that If on those rolls for the crazy-ness if you get 2 consecutive 6s on rolls for the crazy-ness

Aenir
08-25-2009, 10:51 AM
any other ideas?