PDA

View Full Version : Unit fillers?

gcsmith
10-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Every warhammer forum I read now seems to have 'unit fillers' now I know that wasnt around in 7th and must of missed something. But why are people doing these?
Sorry if it sounds a bit dense i just dnt see the purpose

Old_Paladin
10-25-2010, 01:10 PM
I'll assume that by "unit filler" you mean using a 40x40 or 50x50 bases in units of 20mm or 25mm rank and file.

Personally, I've seen them used for many years [going back to at least 6th ed.]. There's an old GamesDay winning Skaven army that had clanrat units that included models swarming statues, haycarts, look-outs lifted on ladders, etc.

As for the reasons [and why they are becomeing more popular]:
1) They add life to a unit. It's much easier to make little scenes when you have a little more room to work with.
2) they bulk out a unit. If you can use 3 models but have it count as 4 for the rules you can get larger units and do it cheaper.
3) movement. it's easier to push around a few monster bases then dozens of rank and file.

I mean, GW themselves make some unit fillers. The Orc animosity fight, the squig chase, the Empire priestly blessing, bear mascot...

gcsmith
10-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Yh i mean something They use to bulk out unit, just thought itt was illegal since there were no actual models and all ranks must consist of at least the front ranks amount of models.

Old_Paladin
10-25-2010, 01:46 PM
There's nothing illegal about it.
You still paying the points for an Z by Y sized unit and the shape of said unit is still Z by Y.
I mean the old skaven clanrats came with 20x80 bases, so it was easier to make rows of 4.

Now, If people are using chariot bases or something huge, putting a small tower and with a big rock and a single look-out is the only infantry model, to fill the entire center of the unit...
it's not 'illegal,' but it's pretty poor sportsmanship.

It's similar to the equipement 'rule.'
Not every model actually has to be modeled with a spear in a unit of spearman or a double-handed weapon in a unit of greatswords. The majority of the unit should have said weapon, to make it clear; and everyone must fight with said weapon, even if it shows something else.

Same thing here. There should be enough infantry to know what type of unit it is, and the outer edge must be as square shaped as possible (so all the number crunching is easy), but there are allowed to be a few internal differences.

gcsmith
10-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Ahh so its a way to buy fewer models for bigger units?

miteyheroes
10-26-2010, 02:31 AM
Ahh so its a way to buy fewer models for bigger units?

Partly, and partly also to make attractive dioramas which bring more character to your army.

They confused me at first too, until I realised that people still had to pay the points for the models where the unit filler is sitting...

eldargal
10-26-2010, 02:38 AM
Its a brilliant way of adding adding character to your army. My brother made three halfings standing on each others shoulders with the top one firing a handgun for my Empire handgunners.

gcsmith
10-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Hmm I might do one for upcoming White lions then with 3 white lions prowling through woods to represent 6 white lions or so :)