PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point Salamander List

Ironbullet
10-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Looking for some advice on this list. What do yall think? I tried to make a list that is flexible enough to answer to many types of threats. While still having some role specific heavy hitters. Also, should I take the sternguard or replace them with TH/SS terminators? They can both fit in the list, just not sure which would be more useful to run with Vulkan

HQ:
Vulkan He'stan
SM Chaplain (jump pack)
Elites:
Sternguard squad
6 marines (power fist/3X Comb-flamers/ 3X Combi-melta)
Landraider (extra amor)
Troops:
Tac squad #1
10 marines (combi-melta/multi melta/melta gun)
Rhino
Tac squad #2
10 marines (combi-melta/multi melta/melta gun)
Rhino
Tac squad #3
10 marines (combi-melta/flamer)
Drop pod
Fast attack:
Assault squad with 10 marines (thunder hammer, 2X flamer)
Heavy support:
Whirlwind
Devastator squad 3X missile launcher/1X las-cannon
Razorback (twin-linked las-cannon)

Splug
10-29-2010, 03:05 PM
To take advantage of their special ammo, sternguard need to rapid fire, meaning they cannot assault that turn. Putting them in a land raider thus drastically devalues the assault vehicle rules, as well as the benefits of putting a close combat heavy-hitter like Vulkan with them. The combi weapons you've loaded them out with are all assault weapons, but they are still one-shot weapons each, and the squad is very mediocre in assault. Between Vulkan's rule benefitting your thunder hammers and the squad's better use of the land raider, I'd recommend going with the assault terminators in the land raider.

You may also want to consider putting Vulkan with a tactical squad, either by putting him with a combat squad in a rhino or by including him in the drop pod. I've had a lot of success running a tactical squad as flamer / combi-flamer / vulkan + 3 guys with pistols; hitting one concentrated area with that many twin linked flamers can quickly rack up armor saves (or dead gaunts/guardsmen). In addition to the template madness, it creates a second reasonably dangerous close combat unit, rather than consolidating all your threat potential into one squad which cannot realistically be everywhere at once.