PDA

View Full Version : 2000 pt Eldar

Entropic
11-05-2010, 10:43 AM
I've never played with or against Eldar, but I'm thinking of starting an army. I want to have a list done before I start this time, so I was hoping for some feedback on this list:

HQ:
Farseer on JetBike w/ Runes of Warding, Spirit Stones, Singing Spear, Mind War, Doom, Fortune

Elite:
5x Wraithguard
Warlock
Wave Serpent w/ TL Missile Launchers

Troops:
9x Pathfinders

6x Guardian Jetbike Squad w/ 2 shuriken cannons

9x Dire Avengers
Dire Avenger Exarch

Fast:
3x Vypers w/ beam lance & shuriken cannon

9x Warp Spiders
Warp Spider Exarch w/ spinneret rifle

4x Shining Spears
Shining Spear Exarch w/ Star Lance

Total: 1999 points
---

The idea is that the pathfinders will sit in my deployment zone on any objectives or just in cover, providing long range support and generally being a pain to get rid of. The rest of my units will charge forward aggressively to get into range. Shining Spears and Wraith Guard + Serpent will attempt to intercept any dangerous assault units, the rest will zip around to wherever they're least wanted by my opponent.

davel
11-06-2010, 01:53 AM
This mostly looks solid I would submit the following
Vyper bright lance will stuggle to hit any thing, To help your jet bike seer could be given guide

shining spears are cool but don't work. their prey should be marine units. however marine units are fearless ( or have something similar) so don't run and don't get run down. then your spears are stuck. If you are set on them take withdraw to stop them getting bogged down

or

banshee make a good intercep/ counter assult unit. going to ground in front of pathfinders. the exarch counter assult power is ideal for this job.
to further help a farseer ( ld 10 to help make CA roll) with doom ( strongly recomended with banshee) and maybe fortune.

wraith guard need to get in quick so spirit stones(on WS) are essential, I'd drop EML for cheap shuik cannon. destructor is a good option for warlock if your worried about loss of anti troop fire power.

3 powers on a farseer means 1 will be wasted. I'd drop mind war but it is a tough call

Dave l

Entropic
11-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks for your help! Here's a revised list, incorporating your feedback. Unfortunately, I'm a bit pressed for points and can't do everything suggested.

HQ:
Farseer on JetBike w/ Runes of Warding, Spirit Stones, Singing Spear, Doom, Fortune, Guide

Elite:
5x Wraithguard
Warlock
Wave Serpent w/ TL Shuriken Cannons, Spirit Stones

8x Howling Banshees
Howling Banshee Exarch w/ Acrobatic, War Shout
Wave Serpent w/ TL Shuriken Cannons

Troops:
8x Pathfinders

8x Dire Avengers
Dire Avenger Exarch w/ 2x Shuriken Catapult

Fast:
3x Vypers w/ beam lance & shuriken cannon

8x Warp Spiders
Warp Spider Exarch w/ spinneret rifle, withdraw

Total: 1999 points
---

Is withdraw on the warp spider exarch worth it? They seem like guys I'd want to keep out of CC.

davel
11-07-2010, 01:14 AM
with withdraw

on the one hand they are not a stellar cc unit, power blades help. old style surprise assult used to help but the new one is useless.
as long as you remember to use the 2nd move and be aware of enemy tricks ( ghazgulls wagghh, I looking at you here) avoiding close combat.

On the other I can forsee against guard getting in to close combat may be safer than standing in front of all those guns.

dave l

Cyndr
11-14-2010, 01:10 PM
I guess we can just start off at the top:

HQ: I would not recommend putting 3 powers on your farseer. It causes you to use 2 of your powers and still waste the points on the other one. Remember: while he is a great support unit, he will not be everywhere at once. He should have a focus and a dedicated plan. If you make him a "well rounded HQ choice" he will be weaker for it. Doom + Guide is a deadly combination if used in conjunction with the correct units (or my favorite: 2 bare bones Doomseers, although that will get expensive with bikes too)

Elite: You have the right idea here. Even though I am not a huge fan of the wraithguard because of the expense, you still have them set up for success with the lock and SS on the serpent. I would be very careful of not putting SS on any of your other serpents though. They are basically standard equipment.

Troops: Pathfinders are decent for sitting back on objectives, however, you seen to have a more aggressive list going with the jetbikes. Do these fit in your strategy? You are taking your banshees (best CC unit in your list) and keeping them back to help guard them while they tend to do relatively little. Smaller numbers would help out your point costs as well. If anything choppy gets even remotely close to them they will need to move, which means that they can't shoot. In my experience, the pathfinders tend to be more of a liability than an asset, especially in an aggressive list like you have built.

If you take the DAs with an exarch w/dual surricats, why not give him blade storm? This is one of my favorite units. It can really punish just about anything but terminators which may need heavier weapons to really kill efficiently. (Bladestorm, and then pop back into the serpent since you can't shoot next turn anyway, and move on to the next target, rinse and repeat.) Again, spirit stones = standard equipment on your serpents.

Never really played around with bikes much. Will love to hear how they work out for you though.

Fast Attack: Not typically a fan of vypers either, however, they fit your list very well. I would definitely reconsider the Bright Lance on them though. It is very expensive, and your are really taking the shot with a guardian (BS = 3) EML or scatter lasers are a more effective choice for the points in my opinion. I would also reconsider the cannon. You will usually want to be moving them as fast as possible, so you will only get to use one weapon. Save the points.

Withdraw is good. Like Davel said... Not the most powerful CC unit (I also like the power blades on mine) but it can be good for not getting bogged down in marines. CC against GEQ (guard equivalent) armies are not a bad idea though. I use these to harass lightly armored transports.

Other Notes: I see that you want to bring some bright lances, and as I mentioned before, the vypers may not be the right vehicle to put them on. I typically run a couple of my serpents with them (because for 15 more points than on your vypers, they become twin-linked). You might consider running 1 of your 3 serpents with the lances instead. EMLs are still effective at anti-armor, and can make your vypers more flexible because of the blasts (and don't forget pinning) that they provide, not to mention the 30 extra points they will save you.

I like the list, and please don't think that I'm just bashing it in any way. I'm just giving you some of my experiences with the units you have selected. It can, and will work as you have it presently. More than anything I would probably just recommend trimming some of the fat (cannons on the Vypers). Also remember, Eldar can work as both a defensive list, and an offensive list, but rarely work well as a combination of the two. I really look forward to seeing how this list works out for you. Good luck and happy hunting. :D