PDA

View Full Version : Aeronautica Imperialis!!!

BDub
08-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Ok, so thanks to an awesome demo game (thank you, Angel). I am completely sold on AI. I will be promptly assembling and painting a few squadrons.

Angel says quite a few peeps in the Austin area have Squadrons, so I would love one of you more experienced AI guys to run a campaign. If you want to wait a little longer I will even build some AI specific terrain as well.

Anyways, I'm just puttin' that out there. Even if you are putting together a quick weekend game in the near futire and have so planes to loan me - I would love to play.

Thanks,
:rolleyes:

Forhekset
08-27-2009, 03:54 AM
Maybe I should move to America - whereever it is that BoLS is geographically situated.

I really wanna get into AI but havn't found the money to buy the books yet, and of course the bunch of planes that I'd want to come with it :)

the_great_gonzo
09-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Maybe I should move to America - whereever it is that BoLS is geographically situated.

I really wanna get into AI but havn't found the money to buy the books yet, and of course the bunch of planes that I'd want to come with it :)

Don't find the money, give in to temptation and buy it. Sell a sister/gran/dog/kidney.

I did and now I never look back, nor buy christmas cards for female siblings, nor need to walk my dog....

Seriously though, I bought a couple of Imperial and Tau packs from FW, plan on getting a few orks too. Fairly cheap once you have the rule book in your hand....

....can you not borrow the book from a mate/join a local gaming club that play it????

AshHammer
09-01-2009, 03:13 PM
I love this game! Its so hard to find players though. Our gaming club ran a tournament in New Jersey and we had people drive down from New York to play. They gladly did it just to play other people.

Do you think that the fact that is so different from all of the other GW games that gamers are scared of it? I thought that it was just the expense of it that was holding people back. Then I looked at the small mountain of things that I don't have painted or de-boxed just for 40K. Maybe not. :o

CrayolaSmoker
09-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Honestly, I think it's the extreme cost of the rules that keeps people out of AI. The planes themselves are relatively cheap, only needing $40-60 (depends on race) for a good starter force. When you have to spend more than that just to obtain the rules, it's easy to skip out on the game entirely.

At least, that's been the problem for the gamers I've known. Hell, it was my problem too until I finally bit the bullet one day when I only needed a few more pounds to get free express shipping. Since then, everyone I've ever given a demo of the game fell in love with the simplicity of the ruleset and its surprising tactical depth. Seeing just how little of each book the rules take up (less than 10% of each if memory serves), I'd think this game would be better served by a PDF release of the rules. If they did that, I don't think Forgeworld could keep the planes in stock.

archimbald
04-02-2010, 12:19 PM
theres always a pdf floating around in .torrent form

Porty1119
06-16-2010, 05:36 PM
That's where I got the rules, but FW orders are squirrelly and mess up bank accounts. It rings up as a foreign cash register transaction,the bank gets suspicious and activates fraud protection, then freezes the card.

Sully ad Bellum
01-31-2011, 12:04 AM
It's a cop-out, pure and simple. The rules don't cost that much. Given the relatively inexpensive buy-in for models - and terrain, for that matter - AI is a far more economical choice than 40k. And it's more fun to play.

The same kid that bemoans the cost of AI will go out and, without pricing or performing a reasonable "analysis of alternatives," drop US$40 bucks on the cool-new-flavor-unit-of-the-day, realize he doesn't know how to use it, put it on the shelf, and drop another US$40 bucks on something else he doesn't really need and doesn't really know how to use. Bam; just like that, over the course of a few weeks, our player who hasn't the US$70 to buy all the rules (yes, including the expansion) because he considers them to be "the other game" has spent more than that buying things he will probably just put away until he needs to sell them on ebay. It's crap.

You can get both AI and TA rulebooks for US$71. The 40k rulebook is US$57.75. OMG - hide your kids, hide your wife.

Anyone I ever hear whining about how expensive AI is will be slapped, literally and figuratively, by the cold, crisp infallibility of facts. AI is not expensive, particularly compared to 40k, because the rules are cheaper than 40k and purchasing an air force (I refuse to call it an "army" and so should you) that's big enough for a game that will last several hours is also much, much cheaper. And, given that AI is a better game system and just more fun, it's a no-brainer.

Spread the word, and publicly mock any fool who tries to cower behind, "it's too expensive."

My two cents...