PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Tyranid Army List

Zoat
11-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Having recently started re-playing 40k, and not having played Tyranids since the release of the last Codex, I've decided to get some tactical advice BEFORE Christmas so I can modify what I've already got, rather than buying the newest point/money sink my multi-faceted eyes detect...

Am currently playing with this (somewhat cobbled together) list casually:

HQ:

1 Hive Tyrant (Leech Essence, Paroxysm) = 260
Bone Sword + Lash Whip (will be converted soon, anyway :p)
Heavy Venom Cannon
Hive Commander
Armoured Shell

Troops:

3 Tyranid Warriors = 115
Venom Cannon
2 Deathspitters

3 Tyranid Warriors = 115
Venom Cannon
2 Deathspitters

9 Genestealers + 1 Broodlord (Implant Attack) = 185

10 Genestealers = 140

16 Hormagaunts = 128
Toxin Sacs

16 Hormagaunts = 128
Toxin Sacs

Elites:

3 Zoanthropes = 230
Mycetic Spore (Cluster Spines)

Heavy Support:

1 Mawloc = 195
Regeneration

Total = 1496

Tactically-wise, I usually reserve everything but the Hive Tyrant and the Warriors, with the Genestealers + 1 Hormagaunt squad Outflanking (unless playing Capture + Control with Spearhead deployment, in which case Genestealers may Infiltrate).

Tyrant and Warriors advance, using cover while shooting, trying to draw the enemy into favourable positions for reserves to hit them when available turn 2-3.

Zoanthropes destroy biggest tank they can sense, or possibly big MEQ squad if available, grouped and lacking in invulnerable saves.

Genestealers Outflank onto heavily defended objectives, occasionally head-hunting isolated targets of opportunity (like the rear armour of tanks or out-of-squad Librarians), with the Broodlord preferably engaging a character with the one-two punch of Hypnotic Gaze and Implant Attack.

Hormaguants that Outflank (due to Hive Commander support either Zoanthropes in trouble (more often than not) or more ideally the concerted Genestealer assault...

Reserved Hormagaunts either go after a tempting target set up by Tyrant + Warriors earlier, or hopefully retake a home objective stolen by enemy Outflankers and the like.

Mawloc kills Deep-Striked units, tanks or grouped enemy, contesting objectives in the final turns with Burrow if needed and Lady Scatter isn't having a tantrum. Also provides big target for people to focus on killing (for fear of it pulling the party trick again) leaving my other units with less shot models.

Am uncertain about:

a) Whether Armoured Shell is worth the points;
b) Whether I should get rid of the Heavy and normal Venom Cannons, add 2 Deathspitters and kit the Warriors for combat with remaining points;
c) Whether I should radically overhaul Troops, getting rid of the 1 Hormagaunt brood and 1 Genestealer brood, and add a Termagant brood and a cheap Tervigon (with all-important Catalyst) as I have the Termagants and can convert the Tervigon from a Carnifex and various spare parts
d) Whether Hive Commander's +1 on reserve rolls is actually a double-edged sword that will get me out-reserved more often than not...
d) Whether the list is terrible and I should go back to LOTR :D

Feedback MUCHO appreciated :p

Tynskel
11-10-2010, 04:30 PM
if the tyrant is by itself, I think splurging for the armored shell is a good idea.

Splug
11-10-2010, 04:59 PM
One unit to strongly consider are hive guard. They're extremely durable (T6, W2, not an MC so they get cover saves reliably), and an excellent way to pop light transports open for the rest of the swarm to hit them. I'd recommend you consider swapping the mawloc for them.

If the tyrant is going to be deployed alone or nearly alone, there is a moderately high risk of being gunned into the floor before help arrives. Wings would allow him to DS in from reserve with everyone else. Alternatively, hive guard on the table would provide a few more things for the opponent to shoot at.

Zoat
11-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Is investing in a unit of Tyrant Guard worth it to protect the Tyrant, instead of Armoured Shell - then I could remove the two Warrior squads (230) and Armoured Shell (40), and take:

2 Tyrant Guard = 120

3 Hive Guard = 150

The Mawloc isn't the most tactically viable unit in the list, I know - having now played a couple of tester games, I don't think his I4 Hit-and-Run is reliable enough - but he's fun :D