PDA

View Full Version : 1500pts kabalite Dark eldar

Sparfunk
11-14-2010, 02:07 PM
righto, i was reading through BuFFo's blog and liked some of the aspects in his army lists. this army is essentially a mix of elements in his lists... my biggest worry is replacing the incubi in raider with an archon with the baron and two units of anti infantry trueborn...

the Baron, 105pts

20 warriors, 210pts
sybarite, 2x splinter cannon

20 warriors, 210pts
2x splinter cannon

5 warriors, 130pts
blaster, raider, flicker fields

5 warriors, 130pts

5 warriors, 130pts

3 trueborn, 111pts
2x splinter cannon, venom, 2x splinter cannon

3 trueborn, 111pts
2x splinter cannon, venom, 2x splinter cannon

ravager 125pts
3x dark lance, night shields, flicker field

ravager 125pts

ravager 125pts

1502pts

would i be better off taking incubi and a normal lord instead of the baron and the trueborn? also, could one of the 20 warrior squads be dropped down to a 10man squad in a raider, OR something else entirely? (theyre almost an incubi squad in a raider themselves, so wouldnt take much shuffling... drop the baron and one of the trueborn squads, pick up incubi and a combat archon?)...

anyway, inspired by BuFFo's blog (great read imo), any C&C appreciated :)

isotope99
11-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Why have the baron and no hellions, seems like an odd choice :confused:

Sparfunk
11-14-2010, 02:27 PM
cos hes insanely cheap and gives +1 to the starting roll, which is more usefull than an equivalent points cost archon in this army.

DrBored
11-14-2010, 03:33 PM
cos hes insanely cheap and gives +1 to the starting roll, which is more usefull than an equivalent points cost archon in this army.

But then he'll be running around on his own Skyboard. Yeah he could probably attach to other squads, but that would only slow him down.

Throw in a squad of Hellions with an Agoniser an I think you'll be happy that you did.

Sparfunk
11-14-2010, 04:00 PM
i really dont want a unit of hellions in the army heh, i dont like the models enough to have more than one... him being slowed down is absolutely not a problem as he will sit with the 2nd unit of 20 warriors and shout abuse at the enemy from afar... the idea was shamelessly stolen from BuFFo who uses him in a 2500pt army that also has no helions, hes just there cos hes cheap and he gives +1 to the starting roll.

my questionable uses of the baron aside, what do people actually think of the rest of the army? hit or miss? it does afterall have 12 lances, 12 splinter cannons, lots of bodies, lots of tanks...

the other option i was thinking of was drop a unit of trueborn, the baron, the 2nd unit of 20 warriors and add a tooled up combat archon and a unit of 5 incubi in a raider...

isotope99
11-14-2010, 04:24 PM
I think you're going to struggle in games that require you to take distant objectives, those 15 warriors will get chewed up pretty quickly.

I like the splinter spam venoms and looking at the baron again he actually is pretty good value, for some reason I thought his stealth special rule only applied to helions but given to a unit of 20 warriors in cover they make good objective holders with a 3+ (possibly 2+) cover save and the baron can counter charge anything that looks too threatening.

Sparfunk
11-14-2010, 04:46 PM
i see your point about distant objectives, that did worry me a bit, which is why i thought that maybe incubii and combat archon are needed for that much needed punch.

then again, (im not the most competitive player so this might not be a viable tactic really) i was thinking of just sitting on my objective, and in games with more than two, sitting on the middle one aswell. im fairly confident i can hold my own objective... and should be able to reach forward and keep people off of any central one.

its good to see someone else comment on the splinter spam venoms, theyre... 111? points for the unit, which is insanely cheap for the amount of firepower they put out, but do they put out enough firepower to warrant losing a solid melee unit?

and yea, i think the baron is actually a pretty good HQ choice for (almost?) any army, regardless of helions. i hadnt thought about it untill reading BuFFo's blog, but you cant really tool up an archon for ranged combat, and taking a melee one kinda requires a melee unit for him to get stuck in with. the other alternative is spend as little as possible and have him do not much... 105pts for stealth on a unit of 20 warriors, along with +1 to the starting roll, and some amount of combat ability when the **** hits the fan seems like pretty good value.

BuFFo
11-14-2010, 09:57 PM
the Baron, 105pts

The Baron is a cheap, effective HQ for his points cost.

So far, he ha won me two games. His +1 to the reserve roll is more powerful than people think.

20 warriors, 210pts
sybarite, 2x splinter cannon

20 warriors, 210pts
2x splinter cannon

Good, strong core of Warriors. Great for mowing down horde armies, and any MEQs that you blow out of Rhinos. Tyranids? Don't even bother trying against them. You'll tear through them like candy.

5 warriors, 130pts

5 warriors, 130pts

5 warriors, 130pts

You already have a good strong core with shooting, so turn these into Wych Squads with a Hekatirx + agonizer and you got a very balanced, solid list. You'll have shooting to threaten the enemy from afar, and you'll have good CC to assault and counter assault with Wyches.

Don't worry about Incubi. They are a hard unit to use, and your list will benefit more from Wyches than Incubi.

If you don't own Wyches, just proxy some and test them out. Remember to get a Shardnet in your unit.

Sparfunk
11-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Cheers for the reply BuFFo, it's good to see your thoughts on my unit choices.

I have a wierd dislike for pretty much anything that's not kabalite in nature, so I was hoping to make a functioning list using just warriors/trueborn/incubi with a (un)healthy amount of raider/ravager spam (they bring back such awesome memories of starwars desert skiffs) However I do like the idea of scourges, I just can't seem to see a use for them at 1500pts. That said, I also like the talos and the beastmasters but that's a totally different army list I feel.

If you were to stick to a kabalite only theme, with no wyches/wracks/grotesques etc what would you suggest changing in my list?

I know wyches are good, I just really wanna avoid using em :)

edit: I forgot to ask, you didn't mentionthe two units of trueborn spamming splinter cannons in venoms, does that mean you agree? :) the unit itself was shamelessly stolen from one of your lists but you used it in a much larger game.

Anyway, cheers for takig the time out to answer my questions :)

thecactusman17
11-15-2010, 04:15 AM
If you want a pre-game shenanigans unit, spend an extra 25 points and take Lady Malys. She is prety solid stats wise, and more importantly she gives you the incredible Eldrad-like "redeploy D3 units" ability for a measly 130 points.

Hey, remember that bit where you get to redeploy? Choose units that you said would be held in reserve...

BuFFo
11-15-2010, 01:09 PM
If you want a pre-game shenanigans unit, spend an extra 25 points and take Lady Malys. She is prety solid stats wise, and more importantly she gives you the incredible Eldrad-like "redeploy D3 units" ability for a measly 130 points.

Hey, remember that bit where you get to redeploy? Choose units that you said would be held in reserve...

I love Lady. I use her to deploy units, then put them inr eserve, or deploy no units in Dawn of War, only to deploy out units.

She basically gives your units an odd Infiltration rule that messes with reserves as well.

So good.

Sparfunk
11-15-2010, 02:19 PM
i looked at the lady for that use, but i wasnt sure she was worth it.. ill generalise a lot with this next statement as some of it doesnt really have fixed maths and the rest is numbers worked out in my head, but lets say you win the starting roll 50% of the time, then you only really get to use the ladies advantage 50% of the time, whereas you make a starting roll every game, so you use the barons ability every game, AND he increases the chances of winning it by 18% ish...

i do like the idea of the lady, and setting up a bait unit, but i think it would require a different list.

ive also got a horrible feeling i got the maths wrong for the points in the list above, so i need to add that up again when i get time with the codex. but, my maths aside, are there any changes i could make to the list to improve it that only involve kabalite/scourge units?