PDA

View Full Version : The most riduculous out comes of a close combat?

foostoofoo
08-25-2009, 05:48 AM
Right I just wanted to hear from you guys, what has been the most strangest and unlikely outcome of a combat you've played.

For me it would have to be when a a unit of guardsmen and their commisar deployed from their vendetta 9 of the guardsmen got killed by a heavy flamer, the last one was gunned down by a bolt pistol. Right now here's the fun part, the remaining commisar charged a devastator squad which had only 2 men remaining, the commisar had a powerfist and was down to 2 wounds, the devastators hit both of their attacks, wounded both and he failed both his saves, we were all speechless really. It actually lost him the game in the end, poor guy.

What about you guys then? What ridiculous combats have you played?

Cryl
08-25-2009, 05:58 AM
Single TH/SS terminator against an unwounded Tzeentchian daemon prince with warptime who had the charge. Prince managed to achieve nothing at all through a combination of bad rolls and a couple of saves, termie hit back wounded twice, prince failed both saves to lose combat by two, he then promptly failed both his "I'm not scared of you" saves and died! Pretty much won me the game!

icecube
08-25-2009, 06:36 AM
For me it has to br when i charged 40 orks, 10 grechin and a warboss into a 50 man guard platoon. I won the combat by about 25 casulties, but as the comissar amde them stubborn they did not flee. Next round the remaining ( about 20) guardsmen managed to win the close combat by killing my warboss and a the of grechin. boyz1= take 7 wounds from fearless, boyz= take 8 wounds from fearless. Next turn the imperial guard wipe out the orks! I couldun´t support the combat so lost due to it.:(

gwensdad
08-25-2009, 06:56 AM
I was at the receiving end of having a 10 man Blood Angels assault squad charge a 10 man basic Imperial Guard squad. Eventually the Blood Angels won-5 close combat rounds later! Combination bad to-hit roles, bad wound roles, and the ilk caused most of combat to become a war of attrition, only ending when the Blood Angel sarg (the last member of his squad) finally beat my last 2 guardsmen.

sodcactus
08-25-2009, 07:19 AM
Had one Lictor charge a Librarian (with Familiaris, it was during 4th Ed) doing not a single wound. Librarian strikes back, no wounds. Familiaris hits and wounds and I fail my save, 2nd CC-round, Lictor misses or fails to wound. Librarian misses and then the Familiaris hits and wounds. Me fails second save and down the lictor goes to a WS3, ST3, 1 A-familiaris.

That Lictor was NOT my MVP for that game....

TSINI
08-25-2009, 07:57 AM
1 chaos lord leaps into combat with 13 conscripts, doesnt even kill 1, then promtly dies at failing to save the only 3 wounds that got through. hilarious

that game was doubly hilarious because those 13 conscripts actually went on to kill another 5 man squad of berzerkers through a combination of FRSRF and assault, and 7 actually survived to the end of the game, unbelievable, compared to the other 2 games i used them in where they all died before turn 2

wittdooley
08-25-2009, 08:04 AM
I've got two possibles:

1. Vul'kan He'stan promptly charges into combat against a tac squad of marines with his TH/SH retinue. Opposing marines kill 4 of the 5 termies on the first round of combat and Vulkan takes 2 wounds. What?! I kill 3 of them. Next round, Vulkan hits on all of his attacks, kills 3 more. They get charged by a squad of assault marines led by a chaplain. Vulkan is now the only survivor. Two turns later, Vulkan has cleared both squads after making numerous Invuln saves.

2. Salamanders Librarian gets attack bonus from warp power (4e). Charges into Dante and a 5 man retinue of Death Co (I'm already losing bad at this point, so I no longer care). On charge, due to d6 roll, Libby getting 7 attacks. Libby hits with ALL 7, kills all 5 Death Co and Dante fails both saves, boom, dead. My buddy whom I was playing against nearly punched me.

Chaos
08-25-2009, 08:19 AM
I had an aspiring champion with a powerfist that killed a space marine veteran jump squad and got out if it alive but thats really the only notable confrontation i can remember

Dosadi
08-25-2009, 08:29 AM
This is from back in 4th edition:

IG vs. Space Marines. My Platoon Commander gets charged by a Librarian. Librarian causes 5 wounds to poor little Platoon Commander. Since my commander has a refractor field he needs to make 5 invulnerable saves. I proceed to drop five dice and each one is a 5, no 6's, all fives. My IG commander then swings away at the Librarian and manages to cause two wounds with his powers word. Guess what, the Librarian has no invulnerable save and dies. The Poor Little IG commander was forever known as Lt. Hero after that.

Dosadi

TSINI
08-25-2009, 08:43 AM
i just remembered a couple from 3rd edition, my old Senior commander "Captain Komazi" leaps into combat with 3 killa kans, and destroys 2 hahaha

and in another game, the same guy kills a furoso dreadnought in combat. he was an utter legend.

mind you in both these cases we would have been using our house rules of "pistol strengths used in combat for pistol attacks" and his plasma pistol str of 7 would have greatly helped. after these 2 events we had to review whether the house rule was unbalancing the game, and in the end we decided to bump up pistol costs from the armoury to compensate. :D

Vepr
08-25-2009, 09:10 AM
I had 6 stealers charge 8 firewarriors out in the open on an objective and between my terrible roles and his great roles lost 4 stealers in the melee and lost combat by 1 failed my LD because of no synapse and they got run down... by firewarriors... :o

Thiselton
08-25-2009, 09:18 AM
My favorite moment would be in my last game when I had my Nurgle CSM deamon prince first he survives 2 squads of Devastators focus firing plasma/Lascannon and not getting a single wound, then in the same turn he gets charged by a SM Capitan and his honor guard with jumppacks and a squad of vanilla Marines.

The deamon prince avoids all attacks save one from a Vanilla Marine and then proceeds to systematically kill all models in close combat over the course of 3 turns, and then charge the devastators and take half of one of those squads out before the game ends. I've never seen a model make so many Inv saves in my life. My buddy was crushed by his captain's poor performance, it was wonderful.

Vepr
08-25-2009, 09:28 AM
A while back I also had a Librarian make 4 invul saves in a row and survive combat with one wound only to die the next shooting phase to his own plasma pistol... :mad:

Mike Dunford
08-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Vepr's is good.

I've got two.

I'm playing orks, with Old Zogwort on the field. Zogwort manages to successfully turn Marneus Calgar into a squig. The squig manages to survive a total of three more player turns, and killed two boyz.

I'm matched against the generally acknowledged best player in the store, and don't expect to win, but I really didn't expect things to go as poorly as they did. The lowlight from combat came when my squad of 10 assault marines charged 10 of his DH stormtroopers. 1st assault phase, I roll a single hit, which he promptly saves. I lose two marines, but hold my ground. 2nd assault phase, I kill one of his stormtroopers, lose 4 more marines, fail my morale test, and flee off the board. ADDED: Almost forgot the best part - they ran off the board not because they were chaperoned off by another unit, but because they made the distance with their initial fall-back roll. The board edge was about 16" away at the time.

Trinity
08-25-2009, 01:43 PM
I've got one.

I had a squad of 3 Grey hunters fighting 1 Genestealerand a lictor that had recieved one wound when it deep struck in to the area. On My turn I charge in my WolfLord and his retinue of 7 terminators. But they could only reach the lictor. The Genestealer kills 2 of the Greyhunters. I kill the lictor and lose the combat by one wound then promptly fail my Leadership test and run right off the board without a scratch on the HQ unit.

Sigh.

T.

Katie Drake
08-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Most recently I had a unit of 4 Bloodcrushers that had already suffered two wounds (spread out among models with differing wargear, mind you) charge a unit of Kroot in cover. By the time the Kroot had finished their attacks, I was left with only a single unwounded Bloodcrusher, who only managed to kill one Kroot. Thankfully the 'Crusher survived and ran the Kroot down in the following turn, but it was still an embarrassing charge.

In a game a while back, my Daemons were facing off against some more Tau. This time a unit of 8 Fire Warriors was charged by my Bloodthirster. I missed all six of my Attacks and was wounded once in return. The 'Thirster got really pissed and annihilated the Fire Warriors in the next round, but once again it was a seriously embarrassing charge.

Exitus Acta Probat
08-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Lictor pops up in my rear on turn 2, but within striking distance of a SM Biker command squad led by Captain on bike (requisite storm shields, power fist, 2xmelta and 1 plasma, and apothecary...plus captain gear).
Didn't need him rampaging about with my objective holding scouts (he ate a squad when he came in).

I roll up, shoot everything...not a wound...overheat the plasma gunner, take the wound, and then fail the FNP. :(
Charge.
Take dangerous terrain wounds on both meltas, the sgt and the apothecary...fail saves on all of the above...fail FNP on all but one melta without storm shield. And then lost the Melta in combat against the Lictor. :mad:

I am not 100% certain, but if memory doesn't fail I think, after finally killing the Lictor, I took a wound on the captain on the way out of the woods. :eek:

I have since thrown that dice cube into a bonfire.... :(

Nabterayl
08-25-2009, 06:28 PM
I once had three Great Knarlocs with explosive bolt throwers charge three of my warbikers including a power klaw nob. The GKs inflicted two wounds, the boyz inflicted none, and the nob wounded all three times. Just enough to win the combat, and run down all three knarlocs.

BlacknightIII
08-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Two space marine commanders with powerfists killed each other at the same time.
Oddly enough the game ended in a draw.

Psychosplodge
08-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Back in the darkness of second edition I had a space marine sgt pull the arms and legs of 3 genestealers, both were the remainders of the squads from the previous turns combat - he wasn't expected to make it lol.

Again second edition, I had a epostalriy (well you know what I mean) with a displacer field chasing a demolisher round the table slapping melta bombs on it, I do miss displacer fields.

In 3rd or 4th, can't remember which, had a tau commander slap a chaos spacemarine lord (the big one with the wings) back to the warp in close combat much to the disbelif of my opponent, and my great amusement.

Norseman
08-26-2009, 03:13 PM
This one still gets laughs when I tell it at my FLGS.

I belive this was in 3rd edition. 5 Black Templar Assault Termies with Lightning Claws Deep Strike and charge my HW Squad of 3 Mortar teams. Proceed to do no wounds. My HW teams proceed to get into thier ninja gear and do 5 wounds. Opponent rolls 3 ones. Breaks from combat and runs off the table.

Needless to say my opponent was Livid, and so he challenges me to a rematch right away. He wanted to get his revenge so he does the EXACT same thing. Deep Strikes then charges my Mortars. I proceed to bug him and ask him if he is sure..."you know they massacared you last time" This time he charges 2 squads of 3. Again roles terrible and kills 2 guys. I roll like i am on fire and score 8 wounds back. He proceeds to fail 5 armor saves.

I laugh hysterically... He pics up his minis and THROWS them into his carrying case and walks out.

He never used Termies again.

blueshift
08-26-2009, 04:21 PM
man... i'm reading these and wow... these are some sad, SAD stories. lol

at least for the authors! i can hear the laughter now in the opposite thread "best close combats of all time!!!11one"

but i have to say, some of my worst close combats were in the last game i played.

my salamanders were allied with imperial fists, and there were a lot of really stupid rolls.

1. 10 tac marines charging into burna boyz and killing 2 orks
2. dreadnoughts charging into combat and not hitting (i took 5 dreadnoughts and this happened in many, many combats)
3. rolling extremely poor saves and losing 6 th/ss termies from about 15 normal wounds
4. lucky ork rolls killing 3 dreadnoughts from single non-charging PK nobz

these combats combined with other factors lost us the game, but you know, you have to get all the bad rolles out some time.

KnightShift
08-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Well, don't know how "ridiculous" it is, but yesterday I played a game between Chaos Marines and Orks. At a thousand points per side (among 4 players) and it came down to one-on-one combat between a Chaos Terminator and one of my Nobz. The Terminator killed the Nob... and then got flattened by the Ork war wagon with spikey roller that rammed him full-speed!

It almost looked like something out of a Monty Python movie :D

Pariah Stevo
08-26-2009, 05:07 PM
I was at huge a tournement against a good player. im orks. 4 objectives. bottom of seventh. I have one, he has one. One has deciever and grots in combat. The other he has with 10 nec warriors on it. I charge the warriors with the only other thing i have left over there. An armless, weaponless killa kan, Kill one, necrons fail there leadership and are overrun by the kan! :) Sadly the other combat was not so unusual and we tied the game.:(

Lord Anubis
08-26-2009, 07:06 PM
A few years back I took my Daemonhunters to a Rogue Trader. My radical Daemonhunters, with no Grey Knights. ;)

The tournament directors decided to let me go up against one Chaos player, who laughed when he saw my army and proudly declared he had no demons so I was going to get slaughtered. Then he loudly began to explain how tooled up his Chaos Lord was (under the last codex), with Demon Strength, Demon Armor, Demonic Visage, Demon...

"Say, how many points of demonic gifts did you give him?"

(counting and adding) "About sixty."

"Wow. You know that makes him count as a demon, right?"

"...what...?"

The fun came when my Stormtroopers crashed into his command retinue. They dealt a few wounds, but the retinue pretty much killed them to a man. In fact, the only one left standing was the never-flinching Sgt. Hutskey. Who, in fact, did not flinch and rolled snake eyes for his morale check. The Chaos player scoffed and brushed it off. "So what? He can't do anything to them."

"He doesn't have to do anything," I smiled. "He just had to hold you there."

The next turn Inquisitor Lord Gul reached the retinue. That didn't work out well for the Chaos player at all... :D

Commissar Lewis
08-26-2009, 10:50 PM
My friend had a squad of Kroot that charged my Heavy Weapon Squad in cover. They went first, hit with everything and wounded with five, he scored two unsaved wounds and lost. Failed the leadership test and was swept by me.

I imagined my men beating the Kroot with their autocannons. And it felt so good to finally, after two years of playing, to finally score a sweeping advance.

Lord Sandwich
08-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Back in 4th Ed a full squad of Striking Scorpions led by Karandras and an Exarch with biting blade charged a 5-man combat squad. After numerous armor saves, my Sgt. with power weapon was the only one left standing. 3 hits and wounds later, Karandras, who had yet to attack, promptly keeled over and died. The Sarge was eaten next turn, but it was the highlight of the match to say the least.

Also in 4th Ed, I had an Eversor assassin go on a killing spree! He ate 2 Carnifexes, a units of stealers, and a Tyrant and his guard before getting clipped by a Demolisher cannon that scattered just a little too far...

Finally, there was one game against Necrons where there was a duel between my power sword-equipped Scout Sergeant and his Destroyer Lord that started on Turn Two and lasted until Turn Six, with neither of us hurt. He couldn't hit me and I couldn't wound him. We continued it for another 10 rounds or so just to see who would win, and after we were there for a few minutes we just gave up and called it a draw. Those were some of the unluckiest dice rolls I have ever seen.

jammer397
08-27-2009, 01:33 AM
I charged a Demon Prince and hit him 52 out of 58 times. I rolled my wounds against him and got 5 successful wounds. It ended with no wounds against the DP because he made all his armor saves. Then I rolled for my ork warboss and killed the DP. All I could say was WTF! All that and I killed it with 1 Warboss!

Wolfshade
08-27-2009, 06:09 AM
Possibly not the most ridculous out comes but certainly changed the out come of a game.

Deathcompany dreadnought was tied up against a squad of 5 dire avengers for 5 turns, I managed to not inflict a casualty thanks to an inability of rolling on my side and a lack of strength from the avengers, my oppents turn 6 I killed a couple of avengers, they failed the moral test but were overran, my dreadnought consolidated, then on my turn 6 charged a squad of striking scoprions broke them and they fled, I consolidated onto an objective giving me the win, 4 contested objectives, 1 held

the_killer23
08-27-2009, 07:35 AM
A Broodlord and his Retinue charged my 6-man squad of Fire Warriors. The Fire Warriors passed their armor saves and killed some genestealers, winning the combat.

Ratlingmaster
08-27-2009, 08:35 AM
30 slugga orks being ran over by 5 devasator marines

Valkerie
08-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Back in third edition, I played in a gits and shiggles game called Kill the Wabbits. Basically, fight your opponent and kill bunny rabbits as well, each rabbit worth a victory point. The rabbits had the stat line of grots, except they went last, even after powerfists. The only save they had was a 6+ Inv. I had a squad of five Terminators charge a rabbit and whale away at it. The rabbit saved against the only wound I inflicted. When it attacked back, it wounded one of my Terminators. I then promptly failed my 2+ armor save. I looked up at my opponent, and we burst out laughing at the same time. It was bloody hilarious. Here we have a marine who's been killing the Emporer's enemies for probably 200 years, he's good enough to earn Terminator armor, and he gets taken out by a bunny rabbit. Needless to say, the chapter didn't bother recovering his geneseed. I've been chuckling about that one ever since.

Back in 2nd Ed., I had one of my Ratling snipers go mano-a-mano with a Space Marine Captain in Terminator armor. A handful of very lucky dice rolls later, the Space Marine Captain went down to defeat. Granted, his buddies turned that Ratling into shish-ka-bob, but it was still pretty funny.

I've had others, but those were definately the strangest and most fun.

gilbert93dt
08-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Valkerie, that rabbit thing is hilarious. Seriously, I am sitting here cracking up about the geneseed comment.

My crazied thing was probably when I was Tau and my brother's chaos terminator squad (toughness 5 due to Nurgle) charged into combat against a squad of firewarriors with a teamleader with a bonding knife. The termies all had a pair of lightning claws. They killed 10 of the 12 FW. I struck back and missed with my first guy. The team leader rolled a 4 to hit. Then a 6 to wound. My brother then failed his 2+ save. It was amazing. On my turn I charged in 3 krootox and about 30 kroot. 2 turns later My 2 fire warriors, a handfull of kroot, and a krootox survived.

It was not over, as his Chaos Lord with a daemon weapon charged into combat, after slaying a couple of my battle suits. He had 2 wounds remaining. First turn of combat he killed almost all of my guys, but all he had was powerarmour so I managed to inflict a wound on his T4 ***. Next turn he rolled a 2 or a 3 for the bonus attacks, killing the rest of my kroot and 1 or my firewarriors. All I had was the terminator slayed team leader firewarrior. I rolled a 4 to hit. Then a 5 to wound. My opponent rolled and it ended up being a 5, but it barely slid off the board. He rolled a 2.

My single team leader killed a nurgle termie and finished off a beastly chaos lord. He was then upgraded instantly Shas'o (HQ rank)

thehod
08-28-2009, 09:33 PM
a Dark Eldar Wych lord getting killed off by Firewarriors in HtH.

Psychosplodge
08-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Back in third edition, I played in a gits and shiggles game called Kill the Wabbits. Basically, fight your opponent and kill bunny rabbits as well, each rabbit worth a victory point. The rabbits had the stat line of grots, except they went last, even after powerfists. The only save they had was a 6+ Inv. I had a squad of five Terminators charge a rabbit and whale away at it. The rabbit saved against the only wound I inflicted. When it attacked back, it wounded one of my Terminators. I then promptly failed my 2+ armor save. I looked up at my opponent, and we burst out laughing at the same time. It was bloody hilarious. Here we have a marine who's been killing the Emporer's enemies for probably 200 years, he's good enough to earn Terminator armor, and he gets taken out by a bunny rabbit. Needless to say, the chapter didn't bother recovering his geneseed. I've been chuckling about that one ever since.

Back in 2nd Ed., I had one of my Ratling snipers go mano-a-mano with a Space Marine Captain in Terminator armor. A handful of very lucky dice rolls later, the Space Marine Captain went down to defeat. Granted, his buddies turned that Ratling into shish-ka-bob, but it was still pretty funny.

I've had others, but those were definately the strangest and most fun.
Well obviously rabbits are best engaged with the holy hand grenade...

Scoota
08-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Once, many moons ago, I was fighting against my housemate's Dark Angels army with my Tyranids.

I had a unit of 6 Genestealers that charged his unit of 5 Ravenwing bikers. My Genestealers caused 5 rending wounds, but couldn't do any normal wounds due to their Toughness 5. My housemate went to take them off, then remembered their 6+ 'Jink' save. He rolled 5 6's, cried "Yahtzee", then wiped out my 'stealers and went on to shoot up my warriors.

Not happy Jan.

fade_74
08-31-2009, 08:51 AM
3 scout sentinels, and a IG vet squad held off 3 tyranid warriors and a carnifex.....for 4 rounds lol

brominated
08-31-2009, 12:39 PM
We were playing a massive apoc game and my Grey Knight Dreadnaught decided to go balls out for a Warhound Titan. He charges the Titan and in the first round knocks out his plasma blastgun. The next four rounds consist of me whiffing/not penetrating and him whiffing on WS 2 v. my WS5. Then finally my Dread tires of this and decides to take out the Titan, rolls two penetrating hits, goes 6 and then 5 for two structure pts, and another 5 for 3rd point eliminating the Titan. He then dies in a hail of multimelta fire but you know what? he earned that death.

VinceBlack
08-31-2009, 12:44 PM
I watched my roomie and my friend play a game of Dark Angels vs Chaos Marines. Abbadon assaulted a dreadnought and managed to blow off both CC weapons on turn 1. After that he couldn't get any result better than shaken/stunned. The dread proceded to kick him to death with str 6 regular cc attacks over the next 3 rounds...

keithsilva
08-31-2009, 01:37 PM
10 banshess go through almost go through a whole gray knight army including, terminators, and two full squads, with out having to doom the squads. I end up attacking one more squad with five left agianst another full squad killing down to one man, and being charged by another. After that I was ok if they died lol.

Jwolf
08-31-2009, 01:46 PM
I had an IG Scout Sentinel engaged with a Terminator Nurgle Lord (down to two wounds) for 4 rounds of combat, no one doing anything. Then the Sentinel finally did a wound, which the Nurgle Lord failed. Of course the Lord then failed his No Retreat! save, and the Sentinel ended up taking the center of the board.

Red__Thirst
09-01-2009, 02:17 AM
I've got a doozy of a story from a tournament I played in years ago down in Hattiesburg Mississippi while attending collage at the University of Southern Mississippi (Go Eagles!)

It was the second round of the Hubcon 40k tournament and I and my Blood Angels were squared away against a friend playing Thousand Sons. This was during 4rd edition I might add.

So, long and short of it is, I charge a 10 man squad of Blood Angel Tactical Marines in against a 9 man squad of Thousand Sons Marines. I swing first, I have 7 bolters, a veteran sergeant with a power weapon, a missile launcher and a plasma guner in the squad. I charge and roll my veteran sergeant's power weapon attacks. Four swings, and only one hit. Oh well, I've got furious charge, I should get the wound I hope. Nope! Rolled a two. *Sigh*

So, it's ok right? I've got 18 more attacks at Strength 5 swinging now. I'll make up for that with them.

I roll my 18 D6, and proceed to scan them for the 4+ I need to hit. After a long moment, I look up and ask my opponent to come look to see what I rolled as I walk away from the table for a few moments.

My opponent's eyes widen and his only words as he turns to look at me are "Dude... I've never seen this in my entire life,... ever.. and I've been playing for 10 years."

Out of 18 D6, I proceeded to drop zero 4+. I rolled 18 ones, twos, and threes. I picked up the dice, let my opponent roll and his sorcerer and marines killed four of my squad. They made their leadership check and we proceeded with the game.

Has to be my absolute worst round of close combat ever. Out of 22 dice, I rolled one 4+.

Super Epic Fail. ;)

That's my entry, hope y'all enjoyed it.

-Red__Thirst-

fiore hellheart
09-01-2009, 12:12 PM
I once had a squad of fire warriors kill a unit of terminators in combat. Cant remember what type they were but it was funy as hell.

zealot
09-01-2009, 12:15 PM
one time I charged a WB w/powerklaw and 2+ save into 5 guardsmen. they rolled 4 6's to wound and my fresh WB died when I failed like all the saves. he didnt even get to swing lol

wtf moment right there.

Squirrel_Fish
09-01-2009, 12:31 PM
I charged a single Scout Sergeant with CCW's into a squad of Guardsmen (no power weapon) and killed 1 of them, guardsmen score no wounds, they pass Leadership. Next turn, my opponent charges another squad into my lone Scout Sergeant. He proceeds to kill 2 of Guardsmen, the Guardsmen fail to kill the Sergeant and then fail their morale check. My sergeant then makes a Sweeping Advance to wipe them out.

Needless to say, this Sergeant got a promotion to the tactical squads.

Old Grey Knight
09-01-2009, 12:32 PM
watching 1 comminsar hold up 30 ork boys in close combat for 2 rounds.....yeah the boys did get him in the end but Him doing that for 2 turns gave plenty of time for the tanks to move in and avenge his death.

Old Grey Knight

ChrisW
09-01-2009, 12:35 PM
in a recint game(1500pts):

Warptime daemon prince charges into combat with a squad of tsons with one wound from previous shooting. tieing up that sqad and another for 4 turns. he did have some help with a sqad of 9 lesser daemons dropping in on his personal icon. but between the prince and the lessers they took on and killed 16 tsons and two sorcerers. each sorcerer had warptime. the remaining 6 lesser daemons and prince (one wound left) help table the remaining forces. (first time i used a warptime winged prince)

the game previous(3500pts):

Khorne lord with daemon weapon gets an impressive 14 close combat attacks on a carnifex causing one wound only to be sqewered on a claw at the end of the phase.....

Corsair117
09-01-2009, 12:56 PM
back when i first started playing (beginning of 4th ed.) i was playing my against my friends tyranids with my tau

during the game i managed to kill off his tyrant guard and reduce his hive tyrant to 1 wound and ended up charging the tyrant with a pair of gun drones from a devilfish to hopefully slow him down.

during the combat his tyrant managed to only kill one drone, the remaining drone then went on to take his last remaining wound in CC.

Ninthplain
09-01-2009, 12:57 PM
I was playing a chaos player. On turn three he deep struck an obliterator behind my monolith, took a shot, and took a weopon. On my turn three I shot him with a tomb spider's weopon, he failed his save and got one wound, I charged in and the scarabs went first, dealing multiple wounds and he failed a save killing it the turn it came in.

The tomb spider never rolled.

Now a scarab killing an obliterator is rare enough but on his turn four he brought the second obliterator in and we repeated the above process.

One tomb spider and two scarab swarms took out two obliterators in consecutive turns. I lost the game by objectives but smiled the entire time.

Ninthplain

Bluesfart
09-01-2009, 01:15 PM
I had a Black Templar neophyte kill an eldar avatar after all his crusader comrades were killed. He didn't do all the work, but it was funny that he was the sole survivor and delivered the final blow (the initiates were never able to land a hit).

solarmus
09-01-2009, 04:29 PM
I watched a friends group of grey knights lose a combat with a unit of firewarriors. (seriously) Turned out well for the GKs though, as they finished the Tau off in the Tau players assault phase, safe from shooting.

Docrailgun
09-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Well... 4 Death Company, a Chaplain, and a Furioso once killed 20 Kroot. Of course it was a sweeping advance, but I think the wounds were like 13-0 in favor of the BAs (and like 6 of those were unsaveable).

Turkadactyl
09-01-2009, 07:32 PM
I ran about 20 hormagaunts into a buddies 5 Tau stealth suits. Tau won combat. There was a lot of shock by all four of us playing.

Another game my Flyrant was running havoc on a buddies IG. One solo guardsman was running away but had time to take one shot at the Flyrant. Flashlight killed my Flyrant.

DarkLink
09-01-2009, 08:10 PM
In a campaign this spring, I was playing my Grey knights against a friends Iron Hands. Our commanders had a bit of a fued going on (his Warsmith Abraham with an undivided daemon weapon and my Brother Captain Titus with Sacred Incense). Titus had just been promoted to Grand Master. Several turns into the game, I get the chance to assault the Warsmith with my Grand Master. I hit first due to Sacred Incense, hitting on fours and wounding on twos with 6 force weapon attacks. I hit once, and roll a one. His warsmith then causes two wounds, winning combat. I then roll a 1 for one of my no retreat saves, killing Titus. Apparently, Titus was still weak from his previous injuries, and collapsed when he jumped out of the land raider.

Titus made up for it by killing Ann'grath with a Legion Relic weapon in our culminating apoc game, though.

Dunadan
09-01-2009, 08:20 PM
I've seen a few:

1.Space Marine Chaplain charges a termagaunt: both die. My brother then took the model and painted "SuperGaunt" around the edge of the base.

2.Chaos Dreadnought charges a squad of gaunts, and fails to kill any for about 3 turns in a row.

3.Not a cc actually, but a lone scout took out a full health Tyranid Warrior with only his shotgun: "I keep this around for close encounters"*ka-chak**BOOM*

The best combats I've seen, though occurred in an apoc game. Myself and my ally both gave our Space Marine Captains a legionary relic. My captain and his honour guard then proceeded to carve his way through the following:
Scythed Heirodule
Genestealer squad
Several Zoanthropes

My buddy sliced up the following with his:
The other Scythed Heriodule
Several Warriors
A Carnifex

after finishing off the Genestealers, my other ally decided that the legionary relic was too powerful, and began trying to "accidentally" kill my Captain with his Battle Cannon. Interestingly enough, we ended up losing the game because the relic holders got killed, and mine also counted as an objective that we failed to hold.

terricon4
09-01-2009, 08:40 PM
I play orks so I get a number of these, but one really sticks out. I have a warboss with PK and six knobs (2 pk, 4 big choppas). My enemy is tau and he has two squads of 8 kroot. I charge and beat both squads with one nob dead and three other wounds, one on warboss. Next he shoots and kills another nob with an extra wound, now that battlesuit squad and a 6 man fire warrior squad both charge. I lose 4 wounds from the battlesuits and now have my warboss with two wounds left and one nob, we fail with big choppas before his firewarriors KILL MY WARBOSS!!, and wound the nob. I lose combat and get run down. The loss of my power unit like that left my right flank week and so I lost. It was still a good game though.

pagumb
09-01-2009, 09:28 PM
4th edition game my five scouts in cover took down the ork warboss after his long journey across the board. Only highlight for me worth remembering from that first game of 40K. :D

ZCMI_Nig
09-02-2009, 02:00 AM
The two funniest close combats I have ever had in a game are,

Imperial Fists v Orks.
My Chaplain was assaulted by 20 Boyz through a narrow gap. In the "old" rules of the 2" Kill Zone he could only kill the 2 or 3 Boyz in front of him so we spent 4 turns of my Chaplain killing 2/3 Orks, they couldn't hit him back so they just queued up to be butchered.
(The same Chaplain was killed a couple of games later by Guard when he tried to run from a combat, tripped on a step and was killed) My opponent remodelled his Commander to have a Chaplains helmet hanging from his belt!

Red Corsairs v Tau
CSM squad got assaulted by a Crisis Suit Commander, who lost his drones, fled combat into a building, failed his Dangerous Terrain roll and died! I almost forfitted the game from laughing so hard!

Brother Masariel
09-02-2009, 02:44 AM
last night an imperial guard colonel with laspistol and a crane fought for 5 turns vs a crimson fists librarian just to end up fleeing from the battlefield on turn 7 just cause he was last man standing... °___°
..refractor field rules!

Anggul
09-02-2009, 03:47 AM
Consripts defeating and proceeding to run down an obliterator.

Every game that my Eldar have played against my friend's Emperor's children, the Dire Avengers and Raptors end up in a fight. The mark-of-Slaanesh, kitted out Raptors, always end up getting slowly hacked down by the Dire Avenger Exarch with his power weapon and shimmershield. The other avengers do nothing, they pretty much get torn apart near the start, but the Exarch always manages to fight on somehow, with his wounding on 5 power weapon knocking off a raptor each turn.

Eldar guardian defenders are near the right table edge, firing away with their heavy weapon, when a Dark Eldar raider outflanks in, unloads a squad of warriors, the sybarite carrying a power weapon, who then charge into the guardians. The guardians do nothing and get butchered over the next couple of turns, but the Warlock steps forward, takes all the hits, cuts most of them down with his witchblade, then about 4 or 5 warriors flee from this one Warlock chasing them. Pity you have to outnumber to run down, or that would've been even better. His ally's one remaining Grey Knight with a psycannon then decided to end the silliness by turning round and blasting a psycannon shot his way, which he died from. Still, he did me proud.

scadugenga
09-02-2009, 05:44 AM
The most ridiculous CC was back in 2nd Ed for me.

I had a lone Eldar Guardian (with lasgun, no less!) up against a Space Marine Terminator (back when they saved 3+ on 2d6) in close combat.

The Guardian not only won, but won spectacularly, clubbing the Termie down. (Scored the max 6 hits in CC against the Term, wouned 4 of the 6, and he failed 2 of the 4 saves...)

My opponent didn't play for 2 weeks after that.

Nedark
09-02-2009, 07:56 AM
The worst one (or, for me the best) was when I was using my marines against a friend's necrons.

He had placed to monoliths on these two adjacent hills. He used these to bring in warriors.
Below one of the monoliths, a squad of nine marines with a sergeant had just been attacked by 2 necron wraiths. They slaughtered the entire squad except for my sergeant. My sergeant fought back, and took them both out after a nice allotment of time. He then proceeded up the hill where there were a few warriors. He again, slaughtered them. Finally, he moved in front of of the monolith's portal opening as my friend tried to bring out 20 (I think...) warriors. Because my sergeant was blocking the exit, when the warriors tried to get out they didn't have room and died.
Needless to say, I sppified up the model after the game.

JamesP
09-02-2009, 07:57 AM
The wierdest CC result with any of my armies was seeing a squad of Genestealers charge my lone Firewarrior, miss with all of their dice rolls, take one wound from the Tau in return, fail their morale check and get killed by the Tau in the sweeping advance.

The funniest was when I played a four-way game of 40K in 3rd edition, on Space Hulk terrain and using fairly small forces: Guard vs. Necrons vs. Chaos Marines vs. Space Wolves. It was played as part of a wider BFG campaign and the Space Hulk floorplans represented the inside of a ship, which the winner got to add to their BFG forces.

We all took a lot of casualties and by the end of the game, the only models left were two Guardsmen and a Space Wolf Rune Priest.

The 'Priest finally caught up with the Guard (we said that all corridors counted as difficult terrain) and promptly charged them, planning to crush their skulls with his force staff. He hit but failed all of his To Wound roles and the Guard lucked out and killed him with their attacks.

40k game lost and the BFG campaign lost as a direct consequence of the Guard getting that ship.

We explained it in the campaign that, as the Rune Priest charged in, the first Guardsman shouted 'look over there!' to the Space Wolf and the second Guardsman shot him when he looked away.

JamesP
09-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Most annoying close combat?

In 3rd ed., a Sentinel charges a huge Ork Slugga Boy squad, kills the Nob on the first turn. The Boyz are now stuck fighting the Sentinel and have no way of wounding it (no stikkbombs or burnas) but wouldn't break and run away so I could try to rally them and use them elsewhere...

Equally annoying (and I know this isn't CC), the Warboss of the same army has a special ability at no points cost: any D-Cannon shot ever fired at him - there have been loads - never scatter and always land with the centre spot on top of him. He might as well start every game against Eldar wearing that 5" blast marker as a hat!

BrotherAlpharius
09-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Avatar charges twenty regular guardsmen - Avatar dies!

8 Khorne Berzerkers with Aspiring Champ with Power Weapon charges Guard command squad - after two rounds of combat two dead guard grunts and 8 dead Berserkers!

Numerous other examples, the gaurd are never mine! That's why I'm tempted to make a guard close combat army. Not close combat but against the same guard - I packed a noise marine squad behind a bit of ruin to keep them out of line of sight of guard missile launcher and autocannon squads. I figured that the risk from the single mortar in the enemy army was negligible against marines. He promptly dropped a blast marker on the squad hitting and killing four noise marines (100 points gone in one shot!).

Most annoying lack of close combat - a callidus assassin persuaded one of my squads to re-deploy by six inches into a ruin - it took them FOUR TURNS to get back out of that ruin due to terrible difficult terrain rolls and consequently achieved nothing!

Milchmann
09-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Don't know if this qualifies as a close-combat outcome, but I once charged a seer-council with my Berzerkers and Khârne. Well, shooting had reduced the squad to 4 men plus Khârne and... yeah, I rolled 4 ones. Those ones annihilated my Berzerkers. The other two hits didn't wound. Khârne got wiped afterwards...

Similar thing (if somewhat expected) happened to my khorne-lord. Mark of Khorne, Daemon-Weapon and bike, charged an Avatar of Khaine. Thought it was funny, blood god against war god and stuff. yeah. Ones aren't your friend. Khorny fed himself to his weapon. Duh.

bloodangel001
09-02-2009, 10:10 AM
I had 1 term left facing a full sqd of termagants 32of them on the 3ed round of the game. spent the next 3 rounds shruging off hand fulls of wounds and killin 2 or 3 a turn but keeped the hole sqd in hand to hand for the rest of the game and never lost the term.

WereWolf_nr
09-02-2009, 10:41 AM
The weirdest outcome of a close combat waa when I had a squad of Inquisitorial Stormtroopers defeat a squad of Khorne Berserkers in CC.

R3con
09-02-2009, 10:49 AM
callidus assassin flamed and assulted 2 tau battle suits...

The callidus assassin died.

Though that is the day I rolled 5 1's out of 6 dice twice in a row...

spinny
09-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Ten man squad of vanguard veterans charge my squad of fire warriors, due to terrain only one of them managed to get into combat. He strikes and kills no one, my warriors then strike back and kill three of his squad.

Next turn it all went wrong though...

Prometheus
09-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Q.) 6 assaulting Genestealers VS 2 Tau Fire Warriors = _________ (in 4th edition)

A.) 1. The Genestealers slaughter the Fire Warriors, dig them a grave and put flowers on it.

2. The combat somehow ends in a draw, i.e. nerf combat.

3.) The genesters miss every hit then the fire warriors kill two of them, the genestealer fail thier leadership check are not under synapse and are run down by the Tau.

If you answered number 3 you are right!

Carlsson
09-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Watching a gretchin kill off a Grey Knight Terminator in cc, the image kept me laughing for a solid 5 minutes

dmlachap
09-05-2009, 07:11 PM
This may not sound too crazy (as it makes sense for it to happen) but it took me by surprise.

Ork warboss with power claw wrecking an entire terminator squad in one assault phase.

I never recovered from the hit....

GreyHunter
09-06-2009, 05:13 AM
In a game of apocolypes Abaddon rolled a 1 for his daemon weapon and then got punched in the face and proceeded to fail most of his saves. Then on the last turn my regular chaplain was in combat with 4 chaos terminator with powerfist, causing 4 wounds, if I failed 1 invun save he'd die and imperials would lose the game. I rolled two 4s a 5 and a 6 and won the game.

GreyHunter
09-06-2009, 05:16 AM
Just remembered another time when my Death Company assaulted a sisters of battle squad and nothing and then they couldn't even make any 3+ saves of FNP. Sad day for the Blood Angels.

sorri
09-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Just remembered another time when my Death Company assaulted a sisters of battle squad and nothing and then they couldn't even make any 3+ saves of FNP. Sad day for the Blood Angels.

Those Sisters can be tricksy!

I played a game using Tau, and 2 gun drones took out a squad of Guard (I think it was down to 6 plus the sergeant with power fist) with no losses. We were both quite surprised. :)

sorienor
09-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Abaddon charges into a unit of 3 killa kans.

An astonishingly large number of 2's rolled later, the combat is still going on at the end of the game (3 turns - 6 combat phases) with 1 kan wrecked, 1 with no DCCW and the 3rd one unharmed..and 2 wounds left on Abaddon.

Alfonzo
09-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Back in 3rd edition I managed to pull of a sweeping advance on a farseer concil o' doom with one chaplain on a bike.

Apparently 3000 year old wizards are still susceptible to being run over by a bike. Space Elf roadkill.

person person
09-06-2009, 08:03 PM
I've seen a squad of 5 deathwing termies (assault cannon,2 claws, 2 hammers) kill a fex, a Tyrant , and took a broodlord with 'em. 4th ed.

I've seen a squad of 1 EMPERORS CHAMPION, 10 Initiates, 5 neophytes (+preffered enemy vow) Rip and tear through LOTS (70+) Ork boys AND the Emperor's Champion killed a warboss w/ the help of a PF sarge

My 5 Lightening Claw Termies + Master of Sanctity Chaplain vs DP (can't remember who charged) Dp Kills all 'cept Chaplain they duked it out for 3 more turns I inflicted at least 2 wounds a turn, keeps making his invuln. I'm basically taking 1 wound a turn. Die, The DP comes out UNWOUNDED!

I'm not sure if this counts as combat but I've seen a Ravenor Deep strike, too far away too assault, Other player's turn, HONK HONK!!! VROOM!!! SPLAT!!! Thats the only time I've seen a rhino kill a 40+ point model:D

Grumpy Ripper
09-07-2009, 02:18 AM
the last game i had a CC fex tooled up going head to head with a greater demon for 3 turns only doing 3 wounds and the greater demon had also done 3 wounds.

i had 5 remaining spinegaunts in the area so i sent them in as a laugh needing 6 to 6 to wounds and they caused 3 wounds he failed to save in 1 round of combat and wolla demon killing gaunts iam going to have to make those 3 gaunts into stealers as a promotion. i just had the image of them tuting as they walked away from a rather embarsed fex.

the most funny ive ever had

6 gun drones of shoot at 6 cc th/ss termintors kill 1 in shooting then assualt and kill a further 3 the termintors only kill 4 drones and i stay in combat for another round get butherd by the remaining 2 but hey 6 drones kill 4 terminators :) his face was priceless

hereticus
09-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Deathwing Terminator vs my lone Fire Warrior Shas'ui on the objective in the last turn of the game.
Before he charges, Termy racks off 2 shots from his storm bolter. Both wound but Fire Warrior armour saves the day. Termy then charges in and winds up to punch the firewarriors head off, before remembering the Shas'ui strikes first. Shas'ui promptly cracks the terminator right between the eyes with the butt of his pulse rifle, killing him stone cold dead.

Cue much laughing and cackling from my side of the table.

Vince
09-08-2009, 09:35 PM
My friend lost like 5 TH/Ss terminators to a tactical squad then ran from combat to lose the game.

Farmer
09-09-2009, 05:08 AM
My 8 wychs managed to sweeping advance a Pedro Kantor with a 355 point honor squad.

sangrail777
09-09-2009, 08:45 AM
When the Tau first came out. I played one of my first games with them against a buddies Eldar. He pulled off a nicely timed assault with his Gaurdians (40), banshees, striking scorpions, warp spiders, and a couple of warlocks into36 tau Fire warriors. After it was all said and done with I still had several warriors in each of the 3 Sq.'s of Fire warriors. My freind turned to me and said in barely restrained fury "Hey I thought you said they aren't any good in close combat....?!"
" well I guess they are better at CC then you are at rolling dice."

It was the best close combat my fire warriors ever had.

ssylyss
09-09-2009, 07:07 PM
I assaulted a single tau sniper drone team with 3 necron wraiths. After 2 turns of combat all 3 wraiths were dead, and I didnt even kill a drone.