PDA

View Full Version : Norse Dwarfs

Kahoolin
11-18-2010, 03:26 AM
Hey, I haven't played fantasy for many years, but I'm thinking of starting again and re-building my Dwarfs. Back in the day I had some Norse Dwarfs, and I was thinking an entire Norse Dwarf themed army would be cool.

So fantasy buffs, do the Norse Dwarfs still exist? I haven't heard them mentioned in years, but then again I've been playing 40k. Have they been ret-conned out?

Kieranator K82
11-18-2010, 06:40 PM
The closest thing to Norse Dwarves would probably be the northern holds. Except the northernmost one. That got tainted and now the inhabitants are all Chaos-y.

Kahoolin
11-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Wow that sucks. So no more yellow-bearded Dwarfs in longships? :(

charliemachina
07-29-2011, 01:11 PM
I thought the northern most hold was Karak Drak and it got attacked by a sea of Chaos troops and basically when it was about to be completely overun collapsed the moutian it was under on top of itself taking all the baddies with it.

I think the story is in the current Chaos army book!

cheers

Charlie

Thundrak
08-09-2011, 02:02 PM
I thought the northern most hold was Karak Drak and it got attacked by a sea of Chaos troops and basically when it was about to be completely overun collapsed the moutian it was under on top of itself taking all the baddies with it.

I think the story is in the current Chaos army book!

That appears to have been retconned in the new Hardback Rulebook, on page 196 in the side column it states that the Norse dwarfs journeyed down to Karaz-A-Karak in 'tractator engine' which had previously been used to grind rocks.

Thundrak

Thornblood
08-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Waaay back when I was just 15 I helped a little on 'Project Norse'- a plan to create a range of models to have a full Norse army for warmaster. Rick Priestly was quite interested. This was back when Norsca was a mix of chaos and tribes holding on for their lives against chaos, some only surviving because of their bond with the dwarfs of Karak-a-Drak. Ive still got the test sculpts and casts :) The tribes were shaped by a cross between the Norse Dwarfs and the original tribes before they fell to Chaos

Anyway the approved army list and some notes (although the sculpting was never finished) is as so; maybe it could help as you think through how you wanted to do this-

Colour sceme- Red, Bloack and grey- traditional Norse scheme (explains why chaos went through that red phase). Each tribe or clan would have a slight variation. Mine was the bluish Space wolves/shadow grey rather than codex grey. Yeah, slight variation.

Primitive- Norse Dwarfs were not big on blackpowder. Separating themselves from the rest of the Dwarf Kingdoms

Jarl- King/Chief. Leads the tribe
Thane- Prince/ small chief.
Skald- Story-teller. Uses abilities to improve troops around him/her. Non-magical. (Big on speeches).
Hag- there was discussion of having a magic user. I cant remember the result, sorry.

Bondsmen (basically clansmen)- militia. Normal tribesmen picked up weapons and carry out their warrior culture.
Hunters (the villages hunter-gatherers/scouts)- skirmishers with bows, javelins and spears.
Huscarls (professional soldiers)- heavily armed and armored standing forces within a tribe. Not unlike hammerers, but not with hammers. Great weapons, Halberds, or even hand weapon/spear and shield.
Some sort of light cavalry (sorry cant remember).

The Touched (berserkers)- Trollslayer copycats. Just mental.
The Accursed (were-folk)- originally called Ulfenwere. Big group of shape-shifters, mostly bears (wolves being a bit too vampire-counts esque).
There was discussion as to which unit would be Touched and which would be Accursed, with one seen as a blessing and the other as a curse. Depends on how open to chaos you are I think

War Mammoth. Yeah! And I think this might have been around the same time the big FW one rocked up.

There was also discussion as to include Ogres or not. But converting some Norse Ogres would be fun!

Hope this is helpful! I have a unit o the old metal Longbeards that are painted up as Norse Dwarfs- they are particularly stereotypically scandinavian rather than celtic. The current dwarf range seems to blend the two.