PDA

View Full Version : Honda does BoLSCon

Honda
08-25-2009, 07:44 AM
So first of all, I didn't play in the normal tournament. Those really aren't my bag, though I've done a couple. On the other hand, the Narrative tracks were just my cup of chai. Everyone there for the narrative tracks were some of the most pleasant people I've ever run across. It was like bumping into 30 people who play just like your local group, that being a very good thing for me. Although the games were quite intense, everyone was laid back and had a really good time. Our "Game Master" did an excellent job of moderating, knowing when to flex and when to stand firm. He was also very helpful in clarifying issues when our battle addled brains started slowing down. We jelled as a team (Macharian - Good) and were able to experience a fair amount of synergy from our lists.

My chapter is known as the Apocalypse Lords (I picked that name waaay before Apocalypse came out) and I ended up bringing:

5 x ten man tactical squads in drop pods, each with 1 x melta, 1 x powerfist, Sgts with Melta bombs
4 x five man terminator squads, 2 x A.cannon, 2 x Cyclone ML
1 x Librarian with termie armor and Storm Shield
1 x Ironclad dread with 2 x H.flamers, Siege fist, DCCW
1 x Dread with A.cannon, DCCW/H.flamer
1 x Dread with Multi-melta, DCCW/H.flamer

Everything except the termies arrives in drop pods which were armed with Deathwind Missile launchers, the Dread pods had locators.

Game 1: Planet Strike vs. Eldar, Good guys (us) as defenders. PS is tough because the attackers only have to touch an objective to control it. If both touch, tie goes to the attacker. The biggest thing we had was a one Baneblade. They got a Scorpion (SHT) and the monstrous Vampire Hunter (twin pulsars), plus a couple Eldar fighters and a Phoenix bomber. We kept everything off the board for the most part. They had to take two bastions in our side, they had one to defend on their side. They were heavily mechanized, one guy had an awesome looking Saim Hann army, the other had a heavy and beautiful mech Biel Tan, along with a very interesitng Rogue Trader army list. So we drew their aircraft in kind of deep into our side of the board, then I dropped all my stuff right in their faces on their side around their bastion, they took the bait and focused on trying to recapture their bastion vs. going after our two (although they did destroy both of ours). There was a major scrum on their end of the board that had turned into quite the knife fight around their bastion, but termies for the win as they blow up a wave serpent in HtH in the last few minutes of the game and keep the xenos scum (:p ) from scoring a point.

Good guys win on objectives 3-0

Game 2: Apocalypse vs. Daemons, along with the six objectives, there was a Chaos portal that gave bonuses to the deamons. On top of that, they get Angraath, which was their way of saying, “I own this 36 inch diameter circle” of the table, along with four or five Bloodthristers, 2-3 of the Apoc Nurgle daemons and tons of bloodletters, plaguebearers and other nastiness. Just brutal. So our strategy was to draw them to the center by the portal and get them to keep Angraath away from the edges. In turn two we started to unsettle their plan and nip at the edges, basically play the hyenas vs. their lion. It’s pretty brutal on us, but our strategy worked and at the end of the game, we pull the win, although I am so caught up in not being able to kill anything on my end of the board that I really had no idea how things were going.

Good guys win on objectives, 4-1-1 (owned, contested, lost)

Game 3: Planet Strike vs. Radical Inquisitor, Dark Mechanicus, Renegade IG, and daemons. Basically we had to plant a flag in one of the bastions buy running guys from our side of the table to where ever the bastions were. They had a Baneblade, demolisher, Hellhammer, 4 or 5 Lemans, and a Basilisk just staring at us. We had 3 Knight Paladins, the FW Vulcan mega bolter tank (Macharius), three landraiders. There was a special rule that prevented our termies from teleporting, so only my drop pods could interdict. I took the big hit for the team by jumping into their backfield, blowing up a bastion, some IG squads, some “dark” Grey Knights (they are such tools sometimes :p ), and hammered one Bloodthirster pretty good. However, any evidence that there were good forces (i.e. me) on the back half of the table were pretty much erased. Anyway, one of our Deathwing squads in a Landraider gets to a bastion and plants the flag. Unfortunately, we went first and the bad guys didn’t let us get away with anything. So a couple of bloodthirsters, a squad of flamers and the “dark” Grey Knights jump on our guys with the flag and after some pretty wild rolls, all the good guys die. Bad guys win big.

Bad guys win on objectives, 1-0 (This was a win or fail scenario)

Game 4: Apocalypse vs. Orks, Gargants and Battle wagons Oh my! We were playing against a younger crew, un-experienced in dealing with crafty Long Fangs, but they did have a freaking big Gargant, a Slasha Gargant, a Stompa, smaller stompa, super FW battlewagon thingie, 3 "normal" battlewagons, but only around 60-70 orks. Since this is the last game and everyone is pretty tired, we decide to just have some fun. By about the end of Turn 2, it’s pretty clear that the Orks with all their firepower don’t have enough boyz to pull a win even though they can hurt us pretty bad. Btw, we had a Capitolis Imperialis on our side with around 100 IG and a Deathwing LR with a squad inside. One of the special “rules” was, if you blow up the other sides big toy, you’d get a big prize (SM battleforce or Ork Battlewagon). Anyway, it starts to look like the Good guys are going to get a wipe, so we start planting the seed that the Orks should charge the Capitolis with the Gargant. My son (Niko) is all over this because they have a chance to get a prize, the other guy (Dayton) though, wants to win the game. So Niko starts doing the big lobbying job and eventually Dayton concedes, but it’s kind of with all the enthusiasm of someone going to a root canal. So the Gargant starts off last turn with tossing one of my drop pods into the side of the Capitolis, which causes takes a structure point. A picture of this should make it to the front page of BoLS page, it was quite hilarious. Not bad, but it still has 6 left even after all the beating it’s taken. Then the Gargant fires this solid slug gun that causes a penetration shot and a chain reaction.

The next set of events is one of those things that go into the Halls of Valhalla. Dayton then proceeds to roll 6 straight 5’s continuing the chain reaction (you keep rolling until you stop the chain) to blow up the Capitolis. He and Niko are high five-ing and we’re all just laughing. Dayton can’t stop thanking us for talking him into going after the Capitolis.

History is made.

Good guys win on objectives, 4-2-0 (owned, contested, lost), but very anti-climatic after the Capitolis popped

So the Good guys on the Macharian track posted a pretty strong showing and I had one of the most enjoyable times in my gaming “careers”.

To quote a good friend who is in Europe at this time, "I am sitting in the Swiss Alps, with a panoramic mountain view out my window, eating Swiss chocolate, and yet I am still jealous."

I will definitely plan on coming back next year.