PDA

View Full Version : House Rules?

Skragger
08-25-2009, 10:31 AM
What house rules do you and your groups use in your pick up games? Here are ours!

1) Dynamic turns: in larger games we use a more unique turn system that allows everyone to have a more fair chance, the way it works is each player does their movement phase in order (player 1, then 2, then 3, etc) then each player does their shooting phase in order (player 1, player 2, player 3, etc) then each player does their assault in order (player 1, player 2, player 3, etc) then turn 2 starts with the movement phase. repeat. It makes the turns go a lot faster too

2) Hella Hardcore rules: If a model in a squad is the last remaining model from a single close combat assault or single round of shooting then obviously that model is HELLA HARDCORE! They immediately gain a 6+ invul save and all their attacks count as power weapon attacks for the rest of the game

3) Hull Down Shooting: If a vehicles makes its hull down roll we resolve the shot against whatever gave it hull down, as whatever the object was it obviously got in the way!

So what are your house rules? Anything really crazy?:D

oni
08-25-2009, 10:47 AM
My house rule(s) is -Play by the book. -"The most important rule" is in affect (because it's in the book).

That "hardcore" rule seems pretty fun. :)

blueshift
08-25-2009, 11:53 AM
my favorite house rule is "anti-codex creep" where you have to use your previous codex on a roll of a 1 when trying to seize the initiative.

also the one where imperial armies are placed in reserve to declare exterminatus on a 1+

lol but seriously i think wound allocation is stupid in CC and ask to remove it when other players are in agreement.

TSINI
08-25-2009, 02:46 PM
back in 3rd edition my close friends and i used to use pistol strengths in close combat

basically you had to divide attacks from each weapon in the characters hands. cc weapons act at the characters strength as normal, but for pistols, use the pistol str value, which gives plasma pistols extra potency as they are supposed to. the downside, you have to double the points for all pistols (excluding the standard pistol for that army - because these are normally the same str as the character)

other rules we used to use included an atom bomb - strictly for friendly games.

we also used to invent special "army wide" rules for each others armies, there was always a good one and a bad one, and we made sure everyone agreed they were characterful and not too unfair (fairness is moot among friends, we never did care too much for Force organisation and often would just have "roughly equal" armies.

sometimes we had some "off the cuff" special rules while we were playing games, where you could elaborate any """real-life""" event in a made up rule. it didnt matter how stupid or silly, as long as it was simple and used standard 40k style rulings.

for example, an SM vindicator fires into a squad of 10 guardsmen, and only 1 dies. now this we decided was silly, so instead of removing that man, he was now deemed to be "wandering around the board with an unexploded vindicator shell in his stomach" so each following turn, he would scatter 2D6", if either of those dice rolled a 1, he exploded as a vindicator demolisher cannon. let me tell you, he was very funny to try and avoid while he wandered around in agony.

other rules would be things like - landspeeders crashing - titans falling over - tank drivers slumping onto the controls and randomly lurching forwards. - lascannon or sniper shots that miss having a chance of hitting a unit behind the initial target. they added a bit of random character and flavour to games, and many many laughs

Culven
08-25-2009, 03:31 PM
My group doesn't use many house rules, and most are to handle holes in the rules, such as "Shrike and the squad he is going to join may Infiltrate". We have too many players from different places to do anything that overrides the core rules.

blueshift
08-25-2009, 04:55 PM
for example, an SM vindicator fires into a squad of 10 guardsmen, and only 1 dies. now this we decided was silly, so instead of removing that man, he was now deemed to be "wandering around the board with an unexploded vindicator shell in his stomach" so each following turn, he would scatter 2D6", if either of those dice rolled a 1, he exploded as a vindicator demolisher cannon. let me tell you, he was very funny to try and avoid while he wandered around in agony.

Haven't i read this somewhere before? like warseer?

TSINI
08-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Haven't i read this somewhere before? like warseer?

hehe i have mentioned this before (ages ago) on an old BOLS thread on the main pages, i can't remember what the topic was, or how we came to be talking about how light heartedly we take the game. but yeah, i thought i'd repeat it here as its more on topic here

Katie Drake
08-25-2009, 06:07 PM
We had a house rule in 3rd where if you shot at an enemy unit that was in base contact with a friendly vehicle, any misses would be allocated to the vehicle. Basically it meant that it was safe to fire bolters and similar standard issue small arms at the enemy, but that you'd think twice about letting rip with the lascannon lest you blow up your own vehicle.

We also allowed swarms (only Scarab swarms mind you, since nobody else used any swarms) to be placed on top of certain vehicles so that more of them got to attack in close combat as they scurried over the vehicle's hull and began biting their way through it with disruption fields.

EmperorEternalXIX
08-25-2009, 08:00 PM
my favorite house rule is "anti-codex creep" where you have to use your previous codex on a roll of a 1 when trying to seize the initiative. That is...awesome. Hehe.