PDA

View Full Version : 1850 IG list

Meow
11-21-2010, 01:50 AM
So I havn't played in tournament in several years, just friendly pick up games... So when i decided to enter an 1850 at my local game store, i figured i would post the list i was considering for criticism. I am not horribly happy with this list but i can't decide what to change

hq comp com 4x grenade launchers
chimera
hq commissar lord camo cloak pow wep

trp 2x vets demo 3x melta
chimera
trp vets demo 3x flamers

trps plat com, sniper rifles
3x squad +autocannons (combined)
speciel wep squad 3x flamers

elt marbo

elt 6 man psycher battle squad
chimera

elt 6 celestians 2x melta, pow wep, melta bomb, book of st.
immolator

fst vendetta

hvy 2x demolisher tanks w/ lascannons (not a squadron)

total 1848pts

i do know it's a 5 round tournament and 3 of the rounds will be dawn of war style deployment, and the organizer loves night fights. Any ideas would be appreciated

ElCheezus
11-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Things I don't like:
GLs on CCS, they can take much more powerful weapons
Lord Commissars in general, they aren't really worth their points unless they have a very specific purpose
Vets with flamers, usually you pay for the BS4 which is wasted on flamers
Sniper rifles, as much as I want them to work (I try them myself occasionally), they aren't great
Combined squads that aren't power blobs. They way you have them, it looks like they're supposed to be 3x autocannons with 24 extra guys to keep them company.
PBS I have found crumple if the opponent has any sort of anti-psyker, which depends on your Meta. Even then, I would suggest taking them in pairs

That's all just gut reactions. If you have things in mind specifically, don't take it too harshly.

What are your loose plans for how a game plays out? It looks like you're aggressive with the Demolishers and anything in a Chimera, while the rest provides long-range support. What's the core of your army, that you want to keep? Also, what're the plans for the Lord Commissar?

For starters, I'd ditch the LC and any sniper rifles.
You also have three groups with melta, and two Demolishers that can also take out tanks. I'd suggest this is enough dedicated anti-tank (subject to your meta).
Also, your only long-range unit is now the combined squad. They're going to get left behind by the rest of the army, and be very succeptible to deep-strike or outflanking assaults. I'd do one of three things with them: drop them entirely; re-tool them to be an assault blob with PWs, Commissar (the upgrade one, not the LC), and melta bombs; or if you really want them as at-home campers, put at least a Commissar in there so they don't die instantly to an assault. The upgrade commissar is vital here, as a Lord Commissar can be singled out in assault, while the upgrade can't.
I'd personally like to see plasma make an appearance on the CCS and Vets (instead of flamers). I'm kinda trigger-happy for plasma, though, so take that as you will.

I'm not familiar with sisters to comment on their entry here, btw.

I'm not sure how points all work out with those suggestions, I don't have my 'dex on me.

Meow
11-23-2010, 03:04 AM
The lord commissar was put in for a very explicit purpose, to give stealth to the 30 man squad, the 30 man squad spread out is pretty much ensured a cover save as <1/2 the squad will be in the open do to it's size, i then go to ground and get a 2+ cover, next round one of the command squads issues get back in their and they get to shoot... as i said 3 of the 5 rounds will be for sure dawn of war for objectives the 30 man squad can deploy with the LC and hold an objective the whole game, or at least force the opposition to fight a close range game where my fire power is maximized.

as for the vets with flamers they were going for a ride in the vendetta, they are also now armed with shotguns (converted today) their job is to get in close and kill hoards and then hunt vehicles with melta bombs...

plasma i try not to use, my opponent is trying to kill my men i try really hard not to help, that said after further though i agree on the sniper rifles, i went with them originally as i didn''t intend to move, not really sure what to put in that squad, i guess an autocannon?

and whats wrong with grenade launchers? i can hurt T5 stuff and light vehicles (i am expecting a good amount of DE and space puppies) as well as hoards (also expecting a few ork players)

ElCheezus
11-23-2010, 05:25 PM
You may want to confirm with your TO that they'll rule the camo cloak that way: I've never heard it used as such. I just checked up on the wording of the rules. Camo cloak gives only the model Stealth, but the Stealth rule says the "all of the unit" gets +1 to the saves. I'm not sure if I've heard of a LC being used that way, and I would probably question it if it came up across the table from me. If that's how it's ruled, though . . . sweet!

As I said, I seriously think you've got enough anti-tank that Vets with MeltaBombs aren't necessary. Especially ones with flamers. If you want a group to go in with Flamers, use the PCS. That's one more flamer, and you don't need to spend 70 points on Vets to do it.

On plamsas: the veteran with a plasmagun is worth 22 points. A terminator is worth. . . more. There's a 0.222 chance that he kills himself. There's a 0.74 chance he kills the terminator (with a 5++), or a 0.37 chance he kills one with a storm shield (3++). I don't know the prices on termies, but I know for sure they cost more than guardsmen. A guardsman with a lasgun has a 0.074 chance, for reference. Sounds worth it to me, as long as you fire at the right targets. If a model has a 3++, it's still worth shooting at if it is worth 14 points, and most models with stealth or a Storm Shield is going to cost a bit more than that, I'd think. Anything without an invuln can cost as low as 5 points and still be statistically worth it, in terms of likelyhood to make up their points.

GLs can be potent en masse, I hear. However, at S6, three of them are pretty similar to a MultiLaser, which scares nobody. I'd take them if they were free, but I wouldn't pay for them unless the other options were bad. In the case of a CCS, the other options are Plasmas and Meltas, so taking GLs is kinda like drinking cheap beer if you can afford better.