PDA

View Full Version : Imperial guard list

BigRedButton
11-22-2010, 07:45 AM
Right, so I've ben summing up the list and re-jigging things here and there and here is the list I've come up with.
Company command, 4 meltas, (+1 reserves guy) = 140
Pysker battle squad, +3 pyskers, chimera = 145
Stormtrooper squad, 2 meltas, chimera = 160
Stormtrooper squad, 2 meltas, chimera = 160
Veteran squad, 3 meltas = 100
Veteran squad, 3 meltas = 100
Platoon command squad, 4 flamers, chimera = 105
Infantry squad, flamer, chimera = 110
Infantry squad, flamer, chimera = 110
Vendetta = 130
Vendetta = 130
Vendetta = 130
Manticore = 160
Manticore = 160
This is what i want …. alas it's 90 points over :( what do you reckon I should drop?

blackarmchair
11-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Not a fan of stormtroopers. Take More Vets instead.

Point for point, stormtroopers don't measure up. They're costed like space marines but statistically they kill space marines with their hot-shot guns as effectively as space marines kill them with bolters.

Hot-shots: (2/3)x(1/3) = 2/9 (this means that your 5-man squad - special weapons aside - will kill an astounding 1 space marine)
vs
Bolters: (2/3)x(2/3)x(1/2)= 4/18 = 2/9 (Whereas a 10 man taq squad will squadwipe you)

The math gets worse when you figure that space marines are likely to get cover saves in 5th ed.

Veterans can take more special weapons, they can take a heavy weapon and can do it on the cheap.

Other than that I like the list. I think you should spend extra points of HW Squads. Autocannons are best.

ElCheezus
11-22-2010, 11:56 AM
I'll disagree with the "hate stormtroopers" sentiment. I shied away from them for a while, but now that I'm using them, they're working out allright. Now, that said, they can't be played the same as Vets. If you put them in a Chimera and drive them forward, they're clearly outclassed by the Vets. They really need to be used as deepstrike or outflanking Meltas to shine. As such, I'd suggest taking the Chimeras away from them, and planning on deepstriking them, or outflanking if something is close enough to the side.

If you're squeezing for points, I'd take two Psykers out. Having 6 wounds most infantry on 2+, which sould be their main target. 6 is also enough to lower a unit to LD 4 or less, which is also basically good enough, though not the best.
You can gain 10 points by taking out 1 melta from the CCS. 3 is good enough for average 2 hits, which should average a destroyed or better in one round of shooting. Again 4 is better, but only if there are points to spare.

Looks like the Chimeras are you best place to get a bunch of points, and I don't think they'd hurt the Trooper sqads much. It loses them the ability to scout forward in Chimeras and melta turn 1, but the Vendettas can achieve that.

Specifically, my suggestion would be:
-2 Chimeras from troopers = -110 points
-1 Melta from CCS = -10 points
+3 HB sponsons on Vendettas = +30 points

That covers the 90 points over you mentioned. Also, I absolutely love HB sponsons on Vendettas, they're deliciously cheap, and give Vendettas the versatility and firepower they need to fire at troops once the vehicles are taken out by all that melta you have. When it comes down to taking that troops unit of the last objective, the extra shots are worth it.