PDA

View Full Version : 1,850 IG Mech (Help needed)

Keldain
11-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Hey everyone, I've always played around with the idea of running this kinda of army (currently working on my DE, so still playing around with it) and I'm hoping to get some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

The (Unit #) Cadian Mechanized Grenadiers (1,850 points)

Company Command Squad / HQ / 135 points
+ Carapace Armor, Medi-pack, Regimental Standard, Vox Caster, Grenade Launcher.
Company Commander: + Power Weapon.

Chimera / 55 points

Lord Commissar / HQ / 90 points
+ Carapace Armor, Power Weapon.

Storm Trooper Squad / Elites / 185 points
+ Grenade Launcher (x2).
Storm Trooper Sergeant: + Power Weapon.

Chimera / 55 points

Infantry Platoon / Troops / 220 points
Command Squad: + Medi-pack, Platoon Standard, Vox Caster, Grenade Launcher.
Platoon Commander: + Power Fist.

Chimera / 55 points

Infantry Squad 1: + Vox Caster, Grenade Launcher.

Chimera / 55 points

Infantry Squad 2: + Vox Caster, Grenade Launcher.

Chimera / 55 points

Chimera / 55 points

Chimera / 55 points

Chimera / 55 points

Leman Russ Squadron / Heavy Support / 560 points
Leman Russ Battle Tank: + Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons.
Leman Russ Vanquisher: + Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons.

Total: 1,850 points

Edit: Some of the point costs may be incorrect, but I'm about 90% sure the total is 1,850.

Tynskel
11-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Vanquisher! I love 'em. I have been noticing more n' more people taking them again. Yay! Now we just need more Exterminators.

Nungunz
11-27-2010, 12:39 PM
I count 1835 on your points. That being said, this list needs a lot of work. It has a huge amount of bloat and not much in the way of firepower.

It is very possible to make a pill-box style mechanized list to work, but this isn't the way to do it.

As a general curiosity what are you equipping the chimeras with?

Company Command Squad / HQ / 135 points
+ Carapace Armor, Medi-pack, Regimental Standard, Vox Caster, Grenade Launcher.
Company Commander: + Power Weapon.

Chimera / 55 points

You have squad built to survive, but it can't dish out any damage in return and you can't give orders to anything so this is just a giant paper weight.

Carapace and Medipack are both very expensive and you already have a chimera for protection, get rid of these two upgrades.

Regimental Standard only really works when you have platoons on foot, so there is not point to have this here.

Orders can't be issued to units inside of transports and you don't have any guns worth giving orders to. Drop all voxes in the list.

Power Weapon isn't a good choice. This squad will mostly likely be completely wiped out in CC before they even have chance to hit back so it doesn't make it worth the points to spend.

Pick a role for this squad and kit them out accordingly. Remember that they have BS4 and can take 4 special weapons so make the best use of that that you can.

Lord Commissar / HQ / 90 points
+ Carapace Armor, Power Weapon.

What is he doing for your list? He works when there are a lot of platoons on foot for his leadership bubble. Doesn't really work in a mechanized list.

Storm Trooper Squad / Elites / 185 points
+ Grenade Launcher (x2).
Storm Trooper Sergeant: + Power Weapon.

Chimera / 55 points

Very expensive for what they do. Keep these stormtroopers cheap and specialized. Grenade launchers aren't the best on the once again because they have BS4. The only builds I'd take for them are 5-man squads 2 melta or two plasma and add a chimera for more options.

Chimera / 55 points

Drop the medipack, these guys aren't worth protecting. The Platoon Standard is the worst piece of wargear in the entire codex, never take it. Vox really doesn't have a use. And once again power weapon isn't worth it.

Max out the firepower as they can take 4 cheap special weapons (though I would avoid plasma because of only being BS3.

Chimera / 55 points

Chimera / 55 points

Get rid of the voxes. If you're going the pillbox route you want heavy weapons, not special weapons. Give them autocannons or lascannons.

Chimera / 55 points

Chimera / 55 points

Chimera / 55 points

Same as above.

Leman Russ Squadron / Heavy Support / 560 points
Leman Russ Vanquisher: + Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons.

Normally I'm not a fan of sponsons, but in a pillbox list they might work a little. Be careful, though. A stationary tank is a dead tank.

Vanquishers suck, drop it for something else.

Denzark
11-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Have a think about what you mean by 'Mech List'. Do you want mechanized infantry as defined in real world terms, or do you want 'mech' as in 40K terms for loads of vehicles?

This list for me is mechanized infantry. The strength of Guard is high powered low cost tanks - so a build should (Although I am no expert) have the minimum of inf to survive on an objective, in Chimeras, with maximum tanks.

As you are only using 3 HS choices, I wouldn't Squadron them - when a semi decent hand to hand squad hits the rear armour you will be better when they are spearate. The Command Squad at 135 - why not use 2 Psyker Lords for 140 pts, attach them to Squads as extra dakka?

I like this as a theme of armoured/mechanized inf, but contend a 40K mech army of the Guard is optimized with max tanks min troops transports.